Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Cigarettes

Options
  • 26-11-2008 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hey was just looking at this and wondered what everyone else thinks? Has anyone every tried them before and do they work? They look good but you know what they say "if it looks too good to be true..."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSgW-DP2jEU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The site www.supersmoker.co.uk looks very detailed for a fake.
    As for the product and its effectiveness, I'd be a bit skeptical about it.

On the other hand, it's only ~€19 for a pack which contains the equivalent of 90 cigarettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Hey was just looking at this and wondered what everyone else thinks? Has anyone every tried them before and do they work? They look good but you know what they say "if it looks too good to be true..."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSgW-DP2jEU

I am so shocked at this!! I dont understand the product at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Would you use that in public or keep it for use at home? Never see many people with these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

I have to say .... I bought one .... hangs my head in shame. They are fantastic. When you have those days where the chewing gums just arent doing it for you and you need to feel like youre really haveing a fag its brill. Although it doesnt produce as much smoke as seen in the advert nor does it deliver the nicotine "hit" you get from chewing gums, but when your out and about and had a few pints and really want one ... it stops you from falling off the waggon. Although it is kinda embarrising if anyone looks at it closely (looks like a toy one lol), but then again who cares if it helps you stop.

I use mine at home and it does almost feel like your smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

You can get e-cigarettes reduced by €20 till Friday

• Advertisement

At current exchange rates (1 GBP = 1.08850 EUR http://www.xe.com/ucc ) this is a great deal.

I got mine here
    http://www.myeasyquit.com/
    In ireland. 70 euros including p&p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I to got one at www.myeasyquit.com after reading a thread on another forum, I have to say I find it brill!!! I have tried everything to quit in the past and nothing has worked as good as this before. I would advise people to do some research first however, there are cheap options that are not necessarily the best option, I queried myeasyquit about their products healthy documentation and they were able to send me all the international health and safety documents, this is not the case with some of the cheaper brands I contacted. i know some people who also bought cheap versions and have tried theirs and they are not as good in terms of the amount of vapor and the 'hit' you get. I have calculated that I have saved €450 since I started using the e-fag so I think getting a better quality one to start with pays in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I bought some of these (I am still a smoker, by the way, and have been for 7 years, but I now only smoke "real cigarettes" about 2 or 3 times a day now down from 15 a few weeks ago). It is satisfying and vaguely realistic, though the cheap ones are awful (if anyone is interesting in where I got mine send me a PM as I don't wish to break any rules).

Keep in mind that though the marketing says they help you quit there is no scientific proof for this and the WHO has said that there is insufficient evidence for them being safe smoking cessation aids. There is also very little data on how safe they are to begin with - however, my take is that they deliver:

nicotine in similar amounts to a cigarette
    propylene glycol (which is safe enough)
    flavourings (???)

... which is nothing compared to the tar, carbon monoxide, cyanide, rat pee etc. in cigarettes... so I am willing to take the risk.

Also I should note that if I don't smoke a tobacco cigarette for two or three days while smoking these lads, I start to cough a bit more and get a tightness in the chest similar to that which I got if I didn't smoke at all for a few days without e-cigarettes. (supposedly the lungs clearing themselves out). I know someone else who now smokes e-cigarettes alone and he said that after two weeks he could now run further than he could before and is less winded.

BTW, I am not a doctor. Your mileage may vary. I have only used these for a few weeks so there's no telling that I might fail completely. Don't be encouraged by my post to do something risky, and DEFINITELY don't believe the marketing. The people selling these things may not use them themselves and have not researched them or had them certified by anybody. Look up what little science there is so far about these and read the forum about them (google it).

Addendum: The site linked to above says that a cartridge is equivalent to 20 cigarettes, which has not been my experience. Most brands also sell cartridges with different amounts of nicotine so you can choose them. I would be very careful and do a lot of research.

• Advertisement

You've got my ok to link to the site.
    I'll check it out and see if it's ok to keep the link up.

Cheers for the input, folks.

Thanks. I got my e-cigarette from http://www.intellicig.com/ - it's a UK operation and a small time one but they manufacture their own cigarettes, and the guy who runs it will answer any questions you have.

Again I'd mention though that even they mention "stop smoking" in their main page title, which I think is a big medical claim and an unproven one, especially since you are sort of smoking with an e-cigarette (and taking nicotine into your body) They also call it "vaping".

However, if one were to go against the grain and believe cutting down is a useful prelude to giving up, it's got a lot of potential there. An above poster mentions that if you have quit and get tempted it can offset that, which would be consistent with how it works. Best of luck to everybody.

For me they work best as a "I REALLY NEED A FAG" solution. Its almost like tricking your mind into believing your smoking. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I would love to give these a go for the 'drunk fag' situation. But i'd be afraid of what's in these things.

Maybe nothing compared to actual cigarettes but still.

To the posters that said that health and safety info was given with the e-cigarettes - how much info did it provide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

Trí wrote: »
    I would love to give these a go for the 'drunk fag' situation. But i'd be afraid of what's in these things.

Maybe nothing compared to actual cigarettes but still.

To the posters that said that health and safety info was given with the e-cigarettes - how much info did it provide?

Thats exactly what I thought.....which is funny since I happily puff away on a ciggie but looking at the fake ciggerette I'm worried about chemicals.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

girlbiker wrote: »
    Thats exactly what I thought.....which is funny since I happily puff away on a ciggie but looking at the fake ciggerette I'm worried about chemicals.:rolleyes:

I know.:pac::pac:

But I suppose my point is that it doesn't make sense to replace one harmful thing with another thing that's potentially just as harmful down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I bought a Gamucci and a 'Quik Quit' from myeasyquit.com and sent an email to both looking for health and safety details, as like others I did not want to 'go healthy' only to find that I was jumping from the frying pan to the fire!! Anyway myeasyquit sent me several pages of testing documentation and certificates including CE, SGS and RoHS showing that the product had been tested for dangerous materials and been found compliant. I have been using the 'Quik Quit' for a few months now and prefer to use it especially when I'm out as it does not draw as much attention as the Gamucci which looks like you are smoking a pen!! plus the fact they never responded to my question about health and saftey. I would also say I find the best way to use e-fags is as a last resort anyway, I mean the goal is to give up and wean yourself off them, so i try only to use it when the urge is strong which is definitely less and less. A friend of mine bought one a few weeks ago and it was totally crap - virtually no draw on it and battery went dead really quick, it seems there are some poor quality ones being flogged cheap on the internet so buyer beware, I would have no problem in recommending the one I got as I tried sooooo many ways and times to quit and touch wood this time I feel I have got the monkey off my back coz even if I have a moment of weakness I can use the e-fag and get over it!!!

sideswipe wrote: »
    I bought a Gamucci and a 'Quik Quit' from myeasyquit.com and sent an email to both looking for health and safety details, as like others I did not want to 'go healthy' only to find that I was jumping from the frying pan to the fire!! Anyway myeasyquit sent me several pages of testing documentation and certificates including CE, SGS and RoHS showing that the product had been tested for dangerous materials and been found compliant. I have been using the 'Quik Quit' for a few months now and prefer to use it especially when I'm out as it does not draw as much attention as the Gamucci which looks like you are smoking a pen!! plus the fact they never responded to my question about health and saftey. I would also say I find the best way to use e-fags is as a last resort anyway, I mean the goal is to give up and wean yourself off them, so i try only to use it when the urge is strong which is definitely less and less. A friend of mine bought one a few weeks ago and it was totally crap - virtually no draw on it and battery went dead really quick, it seems there are some poor quality ones being flogged cheap on the internet so buyer beware, I would have no problem in recommending the one I got as I tried sooooo many ways and times to quit and touch wood this time I feel I have got the monkey off my back coz even if I have a moment of weakness I can use the e-fag and get over it!!!

Be careful with the above mentioned vendor. They are an Irish vendor and I have nothing against them, but if you research the IMB's rules (and relevant statutes) regarding marketing medicines, you may draw interesting conclusions. At the very least, be wary of claims that this this is a therapeutic item, when it is not. If it were a registered medicine, it is against the law to mail order a medicine in Ireland. It's in no way proven to help you quit and it is not nicotine replacement therapy. Using a WHO logo on a site is misleading when the WHO have said that the claim that they are NRT is false. . The CE and ROHS data have nothing to do with their nicotine cartridges; only the devices themselves.

Bear in mind they have already been banned in Australia. Among the reasons they used was that it is not a device for quitting smoking, but for perpetuating and facilitating nicotine addiction.

If anyone is interested in safety data on the fluid itself, google the Health New Zealand report on them (I'm not going to link to it because I am skeptical that it applies to non-Ruyan fluid).

I have found e-cigarettes very helpful in controlling my nicotine addiction, but these are new products. I think with proper study and technology improvements they could save many lives but if you want to quit smoking there are safer ways available now.

Having said that, I would be heartbroken if they were banned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

After reading a couple of threads here, i finally decided to try these e-cigarettes
    for myself. I decided to buy from a company in the uk, who where selling them for £18.95 (with 10 cartridges),extra cartridges are £6.95 for a pack of 10. I wasnt expecting much for the price to be honest, but i must say i am impressed. It is only slightly larger than an ordinary cigarette, but heavier (obviously)
    Had a problem with the battery on the first e-cig, and was a bit miffed, but emailed them on sunday night and they replied about an hour later. They sent out a replacement battery monday morning.Today is my first day to use it and its going great. Id definetely recommend it:)

Mods: Is it ok to post a link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Hi Guys,

Like most I've been plagued with quitting smoking and failing - my wife lets me smoke cigars occasionally and they're great for covering the smell of suripticious smokes in the office. They're also expensive.
    Tried patches - no joy, still want to suck on something.
    Tried gum - stomach and gum problems.
    Also any NRT products in a pharmacy are expensive.

Tried e-cigarettes from two companies in the UK both selling intellicig - so avoiding a link posting search for intellicig and UK using your favourite search engine.

Results - after a week on e-cigs, interspersed with "real" fags, I'm no longer interested in tobacco smokes.
    Also tried a cigar - hand made - didn't like it like I used to, in fact it was disgusting.

So - e-cigs are recommended if you want a healthier nicotine source? Yes, IMO

Are they safe? As already mentioned, only time and scientific study will tell - some people don't like propylene glycol, some don't like glycerine - even if it is B.P. - when compared to tobacco cigarettes there are healthier - less chemicals, no tar, no carbon monoxide.
    You know that head rush you get from your first cigarette in the morning? Well, it's not the nicotine that does that, it's the carbon monoxide reducing your oxygen supply capacity by blocking haemoglobin in your blood system.
    Sense of taste and smell improve within days.

Are they dangerous? Well, they deliver nicotine in an aerosol\vapour format but very little else. They might be dangerous but not as much as cigarettes or any other form of burned tobacco.

Any caveats? If you want them the only current source is internet so check various boards for recommendations and bad guys. PM me if you want to know who I'm dealing with.

Problems? So far one failed battery and a replacement is on the way. It's not a complete failure but needs a little physical manipulation to work.

Bottom line - whether you want to quite smoking or not is really immaterial. If you want to get your sense of taste and smell back and be healthier your choice is NRT or e-cigs. For me the e-cigs will. Fast nicotine delivery on demand and if I want I can load it with a nciotine free solution and just make smoke rings for fun.

Any bonuses - apart from no smell, no bad breath, no smoky clothes and you can use it anywhere - you get to gyp the government, Big Tobacco and Big Pharma out of profits so it can't be bad.,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Pegs595

Am in the same boat myself.
    Was doing some (re)search for electronic cigs and these lads came www.electroniccigarettes.ie Anyone tried them as I am considering a go at the titan yokes but 55 euro seems a fair bit. Are you better getting cheaper ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Liverpool99

I have tried the e-cigs a few months back when trying to stop smoking but unfortunately they are not a great substitute for the real thing. They were OK for a week or two but after that, they just died (parts needed replaced, battery would not re-charge). To me they seemed about 60% of smoking a real cig but that’s the problem, they are only 60% of the real thing

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭619C

I had the same problem with parts going faulty and batteries going. But after another few months of smoking cigarettes I gave it another go and got a 'screwdriver' mark 1.
    The batteries last the day and all you have to do is top up the cartridges with your favourite e-liquid of different nicotine levels and away you go.
    I have used it in a lot of places where before I would have to go outside and spend 10 minutes or so away from work and the smell and so on.
    I have since ordered more batteries and 'atomisers' and am now making my own juice.
    Health concerns - I have none
    Money - I am just happy not to be smoking
    Cravings - now and then - but a fresh cartridge and battery and I am away again.

When I originally started on the e-cig they were made to look like normal cigarettes so the batteries were not lasting but this one does not look like a normal cig and the battery lasts ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Am in the same boat myself.
    Was doing some (re)search for electronic cigs and these lads came www.electroniccigarettes.ie Anyone tried them as I am considering a go at the titan yokes but 55 euro seems a fair bit. Are you better getting cheaper ones?

Don't buy cheap, seriously .. you'll end up ditching it in a day or two because

a) Batteries die faster
    b) Carts dont last
    c) Doesn't taste good
    d) non-realistic

if your a 20 a day smoker you'll have your money back in under a week.. and from then you'll be saving a bundle in money and health.

Dont' be suprised if you run the battery down more than once a day .. you'll be probably hitting it all the time for the first while til you get used to vaping... use it like a normal fag .. take your breaks as normal etc ..

I'm not a fan of the separate atomizer designs anymore .. each to their own
    I have tried the e-cigs a few months back when trying to stop smoking but unfortunately they are not a great substitute for the real thing. They were OK for a week or two but after that, they just died (parts needed replaced, battery would not re-charge). To me they seemed about 60% of smoking a real cig but that’s the problem, they are only 60% of the real thing

It really depends on 2 things .. your willingness to try something to give up the fags and the equipment you buy... older designs are cheap, and the liquid thats still sold with some tastes like crap with little taste or feeling or smoke of a real ciggie...

Psycology has a Huge part to play as well and I occasionally do crave "something bad" .. just "because". I try to remind myself that I couldn't smell right, Was outta breath, taste buds dissappeared, smelt nasty etc ... rather than "this doesn't taste like a cigarette".

Technically speaking you are (or should be) getting the same hit to your brain and body as a real ciggie.... I know the same could be said about drinking beer instead of vodka so there is adapting involved.
    Thanks. I got my e-cigarette from http://www.intellicig.com/ - it's a UK operation and a small time one but they manufacture their own cigarettes, and the guy who runs it will answer any questions you have.

My First e-cig was an intellicig ... old design, tasted "weird and plasticy".... I tried it for about 3 weeks (I ordered lots of carts) but had no desire to continue using it once i was finished my carts... I was proper smoking every time I could ... telling myself "I just wanna see how it compares".

A year is a long time in technology, maybe they've improved

With the Smokegenie, The new one I've no real desires to go back to "analogues"

• Registered Users Posts: 46 film ed tfm

Hey all,

I've been using ecigs for over a year now...what helped me alot in saving time and money was a forum which has great people with great advice...i'm not a supplier/seller/vendor nor am i affiliated with any company....i'm probably the opposite as i see people spend way over the odds trying ecigs from sites that give misleading info....

anyway this is the forum: www.ukvapers.com

and this is a link to the irish section which i asked to have set up

http://ukvapers.com/forum/50-irish-vapers/

....feel free to join in....in fact PLEASE do if you are new to ecigs it could save you a lot of money learning before spending(ecigs shouldnt cost more than 40-50euro for a basic kit ; o) ) and how to use the kits

arghhh i'm always the waffler...

see ya over there

cass : o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ciaran_d_man

there have been many advancements in e cigarettes, the batteries last way longer and the atomizers produce the same smoke/vapour as standard cigarettes as far as i can judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BeetleDeuce

Here's a useful link to find out where to buy e cigs in Ireland UK and China and is updated by Mewso every now and again. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73498870

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gazelec

Hi all, i bought one of these from the vapourstore online on monday and i cant beleive how good it is, ive smoked for 20 odd years and was surprised how well im coping (its only been 6 days but im still surprised), i got the joye 510-T with the refillable tank and im getting the same hit at the back of the throat as id get from cigarettes, i would highly recommend it.

Advertisement