Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel warned not to attack Iran until Obama Takes Office

Options
  • 25-11-2008 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Tim McGirk
    Time Magazine
    November 25, 2008

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1861542,00.html?imw=Y

U.S. officials have asked Israel to refrain from launching any major military action in the region during the waning days of the Bush presidency, Israeli sources have told TIME. Previously, some Israeli military officials had hinted to the media that if Israel were to carry out its threats to strike at Iranian nuclear installations, it might do so before Barack Obama enters the White House in January. But now a Defense Ministry official says, “We have been warned off.”
    The call for restraint was relayed to Israeli officials by senior U.S. counterparts, TIME’s sources say, and it is likely to be reinforced during Monday’s valedictory meeting in Washington between Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and President George W. Bush. (See pictures of President Bush in the Middle East.)
    Washington’s concerns are not limited to the possibility of Israel attacking Iran, the sources say; U.S. officials have also cautioned Israelis against launching a ground assault inside the besieged Palestinian territory of Gaza in a bid to stop militants there from firing rockets into southern Israel. Bush Administration officials warn that such an attack could cost many lives and jeopardize the painstaking, thus far futile efforts of U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to broker a peace agreement between Israel and the Palestinian Authority.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

What's the conspiracy? Or has my mind just been opened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

What's the conspiracy? Or has my mind just been opened?

roll your mind back to 2003 UN security council lies about Iraq. Its happening again this time its Iran in the cross hairs. If Iran is attacked the world will explode,literally.

Heres where the US come in and all that brings. In any bombing run the Irsaeli airforce will use their F15's and F-16's and even with added fuel tanks they still have a limited range (reported 820 km non-refueling radius of operation). They require fueling mid air. Up until recently Israel didnt even have that capability but they have now thanks to US assistance.
    Taking that into consideration the most direct and viable route to attacking Iran from Israel would be through Jordanian or Iraqi airspace. The Jordanians wont allow it but the US will as they control Iraqi air space. Any attack on Iran will have to be given the green light by the US which they will give and Iran knows it. This is really bad news for humanity,again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

WakeUp wrote: »
    roll your mind back to 2003 UN security council lies about Iraq. Its happening again this time its Iran in the cross hairs. If Iran is attacked the world will explode,literally.

Heres where the US come in and all that brings. In any bombing run the Irsaeli airforce will use their F15's and F-16's and even with added fuel tanks they still have a limited range (reported 820 km non-refueling radius of operation). They require fueling mid air. Up until recently Israel didnt even have that capability but they have now thanks to US assistance.
    Taking that into consideration the most direct and viable route to attacking Iran from Israel would be through Jordanian or Iraqi airspace. The Jordanians wont allow it but the US will as they control Iraqi air space. Any attack on Iran will have to be given the green light by the US which they will give and Iran knows it. This is really bad news for humanity,again.

Now I'm not suggesting attacking Iran is a good idea but I for one do not want them to have nuclear weapons, I'd rather no one had them but a fundamentalist regime would be way down my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Since the invasion of Iraq, an attack on Iran has been predicted every few months by the usual people *yawn*

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

It's a bit hard to blow up the world when Iran doesn't actually have the bomb.
    And when the US army is stretched pretty thin.
    And when public support for such a war is as low as it could get.

But don't worry it's all part of the plan.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

meglome wrote: »
    Now I'm not suggesting attacking Iran is a good idea but I for one do not want them to have nuclear weapons, I'd rather no one had them but a fundamentalist regime would be way down my list.

just to Clarify is it just the Fundamentalist Islamic states that you worry about, what about that big Fundamentalist Christian state over there with loads of nukes.

I know a few lads from Iran, Fundamentalist is not how I would describe them or their culture

just to Clarify is it just the Fundamentalist Islamic states that you worry about, what about that big Fundamentalist Christian state over there with loads of nukes.
    Yea just think of all them times the US government rigorously enforce Old Testament law.
    I know a few lads from Iran, Fundamentalist is not how I would describe them or their culture

So never met an American then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

So what you are saying that the Israeli wouldn't attack Iran under Hawk Bush, but would attack Iran under the presidency of a man who's openly talked of opening a dialogue with Iran. Oh yea this makes sense.

Diogenes wrote: »
    So what you are saying that the Israeli wouldn't attack Iran under Hawk Bush, but would attack Iran under the presidency of a man who's openly talked of opening a dialogue with Iran. Oh yea this makes sense.

no thats not what I mean at all, the administration Obama is putting together is just as "Hawkish" if not more so than the current one. Its a case of timing. Israel wants to attack but they have to wait for the US to give the green light which they will sooner or later. The warning the US has issused to Israel shows that Israel is itching to strike or why else warn them?..

no thats not what I mean at all, the administration Obama is putting together is just as "Hawkish" if not more so than the current one. Its a case of timing. Israel wants to attack but they have to wait for the US to give the green light which they will sooner or later. The warning the US has issused to Israel shows that Israel is itching to strike or why else warn them?..

So why warn them not to attack when they can't until America gives them the green light?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Almost afraid to ask, but how do you figure?

King Mob wrote: »
    Yea just think of all them times the US government rigorously enforce Old Testament law.

The creation of a Zionist state?

So why warn them not to attack when they can't until America gives them the green light?

I think your missing the point thats exactly why they have warned them. The US are concerned Israel is going to go it alone that much is blatantly obvious and in turn have warned them not to but its only a matter of time.

I think your missing the point thats exactly why they have warned them. The US are concerned Israel is going to go it alone that much is blatantly obvious and in turn have warned them not to but its only a matter of time.

Or maybe they can convince Israel not to attack in lue of renewed diplomatic relations with Iran which Obama promised?

Countless UN Security council resolutions have been passed against the country.
    Branded a sponsor of state terrorism with no evidence.
    Iranian armed forces branded terrorists ( first time the US has ever done this

it all has a familar sound to it really.

Or maybe they can convince Israel not to attack in lue of renewed diplomatic relations with Iran which Obama promised?

maybe yeah you cant rule anything out hopefully they wont attack but the noises being made both in Israel and the US would tend to suggest otherwise imo.

maybe yeah you cant rule anything out hopefully they wont attack but the noises being made both in Israel and the US would tend to suggest otherwise imo.

What?
    You mean the president elect of the US saying that he'll open dialogue with Iran?

Really is about time Iran Developed its own Nuke

That will bring stability to the region.

tis a bit onesided at the moment, and I seriously doubt that the Israelis are stupid enough to atack Iran with or without US assistance it would be the end of them.

What?
    You mean the president elect of the US saying that he'll open dialogue with Iran?

yes, like I said anything can happen I dont think it will happen but you can never say never. Israel views Iran as an “existential threat” to the Jewish state which are heavy words indeed so I dont think anything can be ruled out.

Really is about time Iran Developed its own Nuke

That will bring stability to the region.

tis a bit onesided at the moment, and I seriously doubt that the Israelis are stupid enough to atack Iran with or without US assistance it would be the end of them.

the US want the job done just as much as Israel imo your right they are not silly both have differing views as to when Iran crosses the nuclear "red line". US wants it done properly and doesnt truly believe Israel is capable of doing that. Israel wants to do it right now regardless of the outcome.

yes, like I said anything can happen I dont think it will happen but you can never say never. Israel views Iran as an “existential threat” to the Jewish state which are heavy words indeed so I dont think anything can be ruled out.

That and the president of Iran called for the dissolution of Israel, and said it should be wiped of the face of the Earth.
    I can see why they might be a tad nervous about Iran getting the bomb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Countless UN Security council resolutions have been passed against the country.
    Branded a sponsor of state terrorism with no evidence.
    Iranian armed forces branded terrorists ( first time the US has ever done this

it all has a familar sound to it really.

I meant why would the world be literally blown up, Iran doesn't have nukes.

That and the president of Iran called for the dissolution of Israel, and said it should be wiped of the face of the Earth.
    I can see why they might be a tad nervous about Iran getting the bomb.

Ahmadinajan is often misquoted or taken out of context bout that.

course what would you expect from a Zionist controlled media.

what he said was that we needed to start again on a level playing field, equal rights/representation for the Palestinians as the Israelis.

me I'm a fan of the old Push them into the sea quote from Quadhafi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Don't speak any form of Farsi so I wouldn't know.
    course what would you expect from a Zionist controlled media.

Like that evil Jew Rupert Murdock... oh wait he's a Christian. Who exactly are all these 'Zionists'?
    what he said was that we needed to start again on a level playing field, equal rights/representation for the Palestinians as the Israelis.

Fair enough but he should probably stop also calling for Israel to be destroyed at the same time.
    me I'm a fan of the old Push them into the sea quote from Quadhafi

I'm not a fan of a lot of the things Israel does but I also don't forget that the Arabs would have happily pushed them into the sea from the beginning in 1948. So the two sides have done many terrible things to each other. Israel have consistently got the upper hand but Iran having nuclear weapons won't make it all better that's for sure. I do have sympathy for the Jews as one of the most put upon races in history, how many times in history have they been blamed or scapegoated for something which history has shown they had no hand in whatsoever.

So the Iranians should stop callin for the Destruction of Israel

But its OK for the Israelis to call for the wholesale Destruction of Iran

:confused:

So the Iranians should stop callin for the Destruction of Israel

But its OK for the Israelis to call for the wholesale Destruction of Iran

:confused:
    No, the Israelis being worried about Iran having nuclear capabilities is justified.

So the Iranian are Justified in their fears of Israeli Nuclear capabilities.

do they have the right to balance the scales?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

First off they'd be breaking the NPT.

Amazing that someone actually thinks the spread of nuclear weapons is a good thing.

The NPT is a load of ****, tis OK for the Big Boys to have nukes and to threaten their use, but tis not OK to balance the scales?

What about India and Pakistan, Lots of sanctions imposed on them for breaking the NPT werent there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

The NPT is a load of ****, tis OK for the Big Boys to have nukes and to threaten their use,

Who among the "big boys" have threatened to use nukes recently?
    but tis not OK to balance the scales?

The USA has a nuclear arsenal that could kill everyone on the planet three times over.

You really think giving Iran a couple of nukes and a few mid range ICBMs is going to "balance the scales"?

No no he's not. And the inclusion of holocaust deniers at a recent Iranian conference proves it. But hey they'd be your kind of guys.

Indian and Pakistan nuclear tests destabilized a region and the only reason sanctions were dropped against pakistan was sept 11th (another knock to the whole USA used the ISI to stage 911)

What about India and Pakistan, Lots of sanctions imposed on them for breaking the NPT werent there.

You mean sanctions like these?. I mean Mahatma was that bad sarcasm on your part or just basic ignorance?

Wakeup wrote:
    no thats not what I mean at all, the administration Obama is putting together is just as "Hawkish" if not more so than the current one.

up what, you think theres a Rumsfeld or Rove or Cheney in this administration? Care to back that up with anything resembling a fact?

• Advertisement

Yea there were.

Advertisement