Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schmap

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Or seemingly promoting yourself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Sure feck it, it'll all work out (though Buzz is right). Just in case mine does go through, I've put www.boardsyearbook.com in the description though :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Schmap used one of mine too.
    67346.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Still at a loss to understand how they could use any of mine that they preselected. I mean in what context could this be used?

2563909397_aa575eb7d3_m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Not critising anyones pics, and most agree not the best you have out there. So why agree to have them published? It seems no one knows the words "no, thank you" anymore:confused:

Surely thats negative (as well as free) promotion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I thought I was special.

9BA53E982412401093FF28AE8C493CDE-500.jpg

Wanted it for their Prague section.

I think they just search by tag and then blitzmail everyone.

Covey wrote: »
    Not critising anyones pics, and most agree not the best you have out there. So why agree to have them published? It seems no one knows the words "no, thank you" anymore:confused:

Because until we looked at this thread and spotted the trend we all thought "maybe they're seeing something we're not".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Covey wrote: »

Because its more a case of "where's the harm"

If your photo is on flicker, and tagged well enough for Schmapp to find it, then anyone can find it with a simple google image search. (something that i do before i take a trip anywhere).

If someone clicks on the pictures they have of mine, then the hope is that they then go on to look through my stream for other pictures of the same area.

Remember their target market is backpackers, and backpackers who want to do things fairly cheaply (they dont charge for their service) so the chances of them becoming "customers" of me as a photographer are fairly slight anyway.
    But maybe if they see something on my strea, at least theyll remember im there for future incidents.

Either way i doubt its either much in the way of great publicity or poor publicity.

As long as its not an image that i feel i can still use as a way of gaining publication/cash/publicity in better ways, then they are welcome to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Schmap seems to contact many Flickr users. Since the initial contact is a shortlist, there is no certainty that work will be used in the final catalogue. The licence involves "fair use" and the photographer's rights are upheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I also received an email from Schmap for a photo few days ago. I won't mind but will this photo put me in trouble? I assume the photo was taken in public area and I'm not using it for commercial purpose so it's ok?

2596267830_5a65c19c05.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

mart_max wrote: »
    I also received an email from Schmap for a photo few days ago. I won't mind but will this photo put me in trouble? I assume the photo was taken in public area and I'm not using it for commercial purpose so it's ok?
    This thread may be of interest. Nice shot by the way.

I am delighted to let you know that your submitted photo has been selected for inclusion in the newly released sixth edition of our Schmap Dublin Guide:

Dublin Zoo
    http://www.schmap.com/dublin/activities_phoenixpark/p=4064/i=4064_67.jpg

Fair to assume that everyone else got the same mail? I still think they should have taken one where the glass was clean :)

I coumted 75 pics of Dublin Zoo there, including a few familiar names from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

75 pics of Dublin Zoo !! Well at least we know that we've a 1 in 75 chance of having our image displayed when a visitor comes a knocking on their site for a guide to dublin zoo.My brov-in-law has an image of his picked for Portmarnock Beach. Can't you just see the joy on our faces at Christmas Dinner at the in-laws

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fuzzywuzzy1

One of mine got shortlisted too. I had the same reaction as most others on here. I went onto their website this evening and my pic is on it, but I haven't received any mail from them :confused:

One of mine got shortlisted too. I had the same reaction as most others on here. I went onto their website this evening and my pic is on it, but I haven't received any mail from them :confused:

Mine had been junk filtered, so take a look there. I just happened to be checking that folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

75 pics of Dublin Zoo !! Well at least we know that we've a 1 in 75 chance of having our image displayed when a visitor comes a knocking on their site for a guide to dublin zoo.My brov-in-law has an image of his picked for Portmarnock Beach. Can't you just see the joy on our faces at Christmas Dinner at the in-laws

"Buzz, You've been Schmapped along with my good self for Dub Zoo"!!!!

http://www.schmap.com/dublin/activities_phoenixpark/#r=none&mapview=Map&tab=Places&p=323751&topleft=53.4905,-6.42185&bottomright=53.24426,-6.2289&i=none

And when l clicked onto my pic it leads straight into my Flickr...Thats Wild....Excuse the pun!!!!!

Linda

If you want to thank the organisers, this is a good thread:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/schmap/542085710/page13/

My photo was a very happy fluke.
    I had just lined the horizon up straight (for once), looking out to sea at Howth and a speedboat shot into the frame out of nowhere.

It's called "Speedboat and Seaspray". A Google search brings it up first.

I'm taking a long break from live links, uploading and public discourse from today.

Happy Christmas to All!

It's nice to enjoy the finished photos:

http://www.schmap.com/dublin/sights_panorama/#r=none&mapview=Map&tab=Places&topleft=0&bottomright=0&i=97193.jpg

The "Howth Cliff Walk" contains a seascape which was a very happy fluke when I shot it.

Short-sighted people make interesting photographers.

For several weeks I thought that the craft in the photo was a speedboat. A very kind poster, with clear sight, pointed out that it is, in fact, a jet-ski.

Advertisement