Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schmap

Options
  • 24-11-2008 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

I just got a flickr email from this websote called Schmap saying that an image of mine has been chosen for their December 2008 issue. It basically shows photos around Dublin of places of interest. The weird thing is it is a BMX bike picture at central bank in Temple Bar? Anyone ever heard of them or been asked. I don't mind letting them use it. I'm just interested if anyone has anything bad to say against them that I shouldn't allow it.

The picture in question is this one:

2890319193_df5a510b35.jpg

And on an unrelated note, I've sort of swung a bit of work with Newstalk FM lately....happy days!

http://newstalk.ie/newstalk/programmes/12/weekend-blend.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

pete4130 wrote: »
    And on an unrelated note, I've sort of swung a bit of work with Newstalk FM lately....happy days!

http://newstalk.ie/newstalk/programmes/12/weekend-blend.html

Cool stuff.

As for Schmap, they have popped up here regularly. I don't think anyone has ever had a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nameandanumber

Couple of great shots on the Newstalk website, well done!

Great personality in them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Yeah, got the Schmap email again.

They've selected 8 images and for the life of me I can't see in what context any of them could be used.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Yeah, theyve used a couple of mines lately too.

TBH they werent inspiring shots in any way, and both were shots i had already recieved any payment i was gonna get out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

You got to meet Jon Heder? Im fairly jealous :D All your bmx stuff is fairly nice also, I know one of the lads in the photos.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

dazftw wrote: »
    You got to meet Jon Heder? Im fairly jealous :D All your bmx stuff is fairly nice also, I know one of the lads in the photos.

Yeah, John Heder was pretty normal, down to earth guy really. He seemed a bit bemuzed by how famous he was and that how much people liked him which was nice to see. The fame hadn't gotten to him. I randomly bumped into him the next day in Fishamble Street, lost with a map looking for the IFI cinemas in Temple Bar. Dublin is a small place.
    Which BMX guy do you know then? BMX is a small community over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nameandanumber

Just had a look through your Flickr site there, you've got some great shots and some great studies.

Your 'leaves' and 'direction' sets are cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Ya, they used one of my pictures before for Killarney Torc Waterfall. Not a great picture by any means, but still proud to be chosen. I guess they just doa search for place names and use whatever they find. Well done anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I just answered the first post on autopilot as it has came up a few times recently.

Now ive seen the image you posted, can i just say well fecking done dude!

Yeah, John Heder was pretty normal, down to earth guy really. He seemed a bit bemuzed by how famous he was and that how much people liked him which was nice to see. The fame hadn't gotten to him. I randomly bumped into him the next day in Fishamble Street, lost with a map looking for the IFI cinemas in Temple Bar. Dublin is a small place.
    Which BMX guy do you know then? BMX is a small community over here.

Jay Phelan he use to bmx with a few of the lads here in Waterford then he went to england to try make something of it he was only back a little while ago.. I actually have some pictures of him riding ill have to see if I can find them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Just got a flickr mail (see below) - is this some kind of weird scam, or are they just being nice and letting me know they've got my photo? :)

I am writing to let you know that one of your photos has been short-listed for inclusion in the sixth edition of our Schmap Dublin Guide, to be published late December 2008.

<link cut>

Clicking this link will take you to a page where you can:
    i) See which of your photos has been short-listed.
    ii) Submit or withdraw your photo from our final selection phase.
    iii) Learn how we credit photos in our Schmap Guides.
    iv) Browse online or download the fifth edition of our Schmap Dublin Guide.

While we offer no payment for publication, many photographers are pleased to submit their photos, as Schmap Guides give their work recognition and wide exposure, and are free of charge to readers. Photos are published at a maximum width of 150 pixels, are clearly attributed, and link to high-resolution originals at Flickr.

Our submission deadline is Sunday, November 30. If you happen to be reading this message after this date, please still click on the link above (our Schmap Guides are updated frequently - photos submitted after this deadline will be considered for later releases).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I have a picture on the Schmapp site. You don't get any payment but your photo is credited and linked back to your flickr.

so I say go for it. Oh and well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

There is another thread on this. No it's not a scam I have a photo on there site as do other people, you probably won't get payment but they will credit you which is all I really wanted. Well done.

other thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055426448

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yeah, I've been Schmapped too. They picked a photo that I took in the Botanic Gardens.

Oops - too early in the morning - I'm still on my first cup of coffee! Mods, please feel free to merge this with the other thread if you like.

For those who care it's this rather poor quality tiger picture, complete with dirty perspex and out of focus eyes:

2749644818_68d5053ffc.jpg

Just had another thought - if they're going to use it, and provide links back to flickr, is there anything stopping us talking about the boards book (complete with link) in the comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

l'v got an email too pete. :o

Just summited a photo to Schmapp,:) It was a hippo shot, taken in Diblin Zoo during the summer...

We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

dazftw wrote: »
    Jay Phelan he use to bmx with a few of the lads here in Waterford then he went to england to try make something of it he was only back a little while ago.. I actually have some pictures of him riding ill have to see if I can find them.

I see Jason regularly enough. He's pretty much full on pro now. He's riding for We The People Bikes. I was on a small portion of a road trip with WeThePeople up north and he was killing everything. In my opinion he's one of the best bike riders in park and on street in the UK at the minute.

Check him out:

http://www.vimeo.com/1042628

I see Jason regularly enough. He's pretty much full on pro now. He's riding for We The People Bikes. I was on a small portion of a road trip with WeThePeople up north and he was killing everything. In my opinion he's one of the best bike riders in park and on street in the UK at the minute.

Check him out:

http://www.vimeo.com/1042628

Oh thats cool, he was pretty good from when I remember him maybe last year I dont remember really but he must be unreal now! I remember seeing a video a little while back he did a flair naked or something haha. Ill check out the video when I get home... We don't have flash 9 in this crap computers in work :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i've just been schamped too :pac:

photo in question:

2938351641_3815bb8aaa.jpg

under the title of dublin zoo, i dunno i think i have better pics from my dublin zoo trip out there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I too have been schmap'd

They've requested one of my photos of the Blessington Lakes which to be fair I would consider a fairly poor photo.

Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Me too :confused:

2766482256_bb41e08041.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

me too

2865130578_081efe8dea.jpg

They really do have a thing about the zoo, don't they? I think I'm going to take pictures of my laundry, mark it Dublin Zoo and stick it on flickr to see if they come looking for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Got schmapped myself for a photo of Grand Canal Dock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Me too... quite surprised!

2514748912_f3a5514d20.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You can add me to the list as well.
    Shortlisted me for a picture of Glendalough (See Below).

Like others here, I'm not that impressed with my picture but maybe I'm just more talented than I thought. :D

Would be nice to get in but I wonder how much exposure (sorry for the pun) the pictures would get.

Is Schmap very popular?

2736156127_9081b2d313.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Mmmmm. I was Schmapped as well. Not for a great shot either ?

2749670486_529184b27b.jpg

Just wondering, are they going for peoples 'ok' shots so that they can get 'em for free. If it was a classy or an excellent shot would you be as inclined to let it got for free ???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just wondering, are they going for peoples 'ok' shots so that they can get 'em for free. If it was a classy or an excellent shot would you be as inclined to let it got for free ???

I think you might be right there.

I know my shot was "average" and it seems most here think that about their own photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

When I saw my shot my first impression was, its not a great shot, but if it got my profile a bit more exposure well then what the hell and the T&C's were ok, although I've a long way to go before I feel the need to advertise myself :o

But having looked through the rest of the posts, we all seem to be of the same opinion that the one chosen wasn't one of our best. Interesting way to get images without nicking them, however it doesn't say much about the book !!

Advertisement