Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC in Aldi €679.99

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

I think I shall invest in it tommorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

Friend is going to get one in Santry tomorrow. Take this as a warning, he is big angry guy and wants this PC so no queue jumping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Just some word of advise on Medions service if things go wrong - I purchased a pc Over a year ago, last September something banjaxed - sent it back to medion as it was under guarantee, ended up waiting months (apparently there was no part) for them to fix or replace, every week I'd call and they would say it'll be on it's way tomorrow - blah blah, turns out they lost my PC and I only got a replacement when I got on to Aldi.
    Never had a problem with the replacement - touch wood!
    The moral of the story is, they are a decent machine but if something goes wrong in my experience Medion are a disaster. Big thumbs up to Aldi's Kildare office though, they were great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Wish I had the cash. Great machine. I have a medion here which is about five years old. Had both the MBD & the PSU replaced in the warranty. Both times, engineer called to the house to do it, despite me telling them I could do it myself.

This system has been on almost continually for all that time.

Great piece of kit & great service from them. What I'd give to have a spare €1k tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

iMax wrote: »
    Wish I had the cash. Great machine. I have a medion here which is about five years old. Had both the MBD & the PSU replaced in the warranty. Both times, engineer called to the house to do it, despite me telling them I could do it myself.

This system has been on almost continually for all that time.

Great piece of kit & great service from them. What I'd give to have a spare €1k tomorrow morning.

:eek: Serious?! That was great. I didn't get that option, had to send mine away to the UK:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nice price!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Just went over the road to aldi and got a ticket. Number one here baby :cool:
    ALdi Fonthill only has 4 anyway lads so I'd get up to your stores quick smart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Aldi Mayfield, Cork

Sold out only had 3 machines and they sold out in less the 5 mins, rest of the shops in the area are sold out too apparently. They reduced the number of machines each shop got this year as they had stock left over last year and ended up reducing them in January to get rid of them. Still HDDs left, got myself one, have to reformat it now as its formatted FAT32.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Aldi Mayfield, Cork

Sold out only had 3 machines and they sold out in less the 5 mins, rest of the shops in the area are sold out too apparently. They reduced the number of machines each shop got this year as they had stock left over last year and ended up reducing them in January to get rid of them. Still HDDs left, got myself one, have to reformat it now as its formatted FAT32.

MC

New store opened in Carrigtwohill this morning - might be worth checking if they have one !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

wahhhheeeyyy

i got it

went down to carlow and they had none left was talking to the manager he said they only got like 9 or 10. he said they're was a queue from 7:30!?! bargin hunters up at the craic of dawn again.

but he rang around a few shops for us and got them to hold one.

it is a beast of a machine i'm using it right now.

so far so good anyways.

any other sucess stories??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My sister went to claremorris one first thing this morning and was told they sold them all yesterday!

I'm in the process of trying to give someone a verbal ****ing if I ever get someone on the phone.

ScumLord wrote: »
    My sister went to claremorris one first thing this morning and was told they sold them all yesterday!

I'm in the process of trying to give someone a verbal ****ing if I ever get someone on the phone.

Ring head office in Kildare and tell them, thats not on. You won't get the number for any of the shops as they are ex-directory.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ring head office in Kildare and tell them, thats not on. You won't get the number for any of the shops as they are ex-directory.

MC
    I did that and yerone said she can't do anything for me, she took my number and is supposed to get someone else to ring me back. It's really annoying as my sister had to take time off work to go there.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I did that and yerone said she can't do anything for me, she took my number and is supposed to get someone else to ring me back. It's really annoying as my sister had to take time off work to go there.

Always always take their name and use it frequently during the call so they know you have it, makes the job of avoiding knowing a little harder if you can tell them who you spoke to when you ring again.

Sounds like they are trying to fob you off.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭ldusoswa

I love lidl and aldi products! reliability and service are built in from the get-go... have bought many many things from lidl and aldi... and the things i had to return were either refunded on the spot, replaced, or a guy called out to fix it on the spot! what more could you want...

It's true what they say, quality is free... a company invests a lot in giving great quality products and service, and gets more custom and less hassle as a result...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Getting a vista index rating 5.9 in all aspects and I think this thing has a physX card installed. No problems so far :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

I missed out, all the tickets were gone in tallaght thismorning :(

I'll be keeping my eye out for their next deal, I dont really fancy the Lidl PC next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Just a slight warning for people not very well up in buyin compeuters!

There is no monitor included, so you should take that into account (fine if your just upgraing your existing computer and happy with your current monitor)!

For anyone that has bought it (and who knows what they're talking about:D). What's it's physical architecture like (in the sense of upgrading). Does it have many free slots (for extra hard disks, PCI-E etc). Only asking because I've upgraded my current dell to the max (over 4 years old, running fine, but cannot upgrade the system board due to dell design, so am bottle-necked when it comes to CPU etc). Certainly interested in the spec and price, but it would have to be something I can easily upgrade over the next few years to keep it up-to-date.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

Does anyone know what motherboard is in this PC? I have been searching the net but all the results are in German.

Freeman wrote: »
    Does anyone know what motherboard is in this PC? I have been searching the net but all the results are in German.

I got one from Aldi a while back (4 years ago! DELIGHTED!). Generally the RAM is the fastest type of RAM the board can take. Mine was DDR2 PC6400.

I have no idea if this board supports SLI, but I do know that you can upgrade to any of today's PCI-e 2.0 cards as even if the motherboard only has an x16 slot, not all the bandwidth of that pci slot will be used by a single graphics card. So no need to worry about that unless you're looking to go hardcore, in which case you'd be better off building from scratch.

This is a serious gaming computer, that will run everything out there.

BTW >> Try translating the search results with http://babelfish.yahoo.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

have no idea if this board supports SLI, but I do know that you can upgrade to any of today's PCI-e 2.0 cards as even if the motherboard only has an x16 slot, not all the bandwidth of that pci slot will be used by a single graphics card. So no need to worry about that unless you're looking to go hardcore, in which case you'd be better off building from scratch.

I need to know what the motherboard is to see if it will run linux. Not really worried about the spec, but thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I need to know what the motherboard is to see if it will run linux. Not really worried about the spec, but thanks.

It's sold out by now i'm sure.

OH? Might seem silly, but i thought linux can be installed on all socket 775 X86/64 motherboards? The motherboard receives power activating the BIOS, and the BIOS boots your OS, or am i wrong?

I think the only thing you need to worry about are sound/wifi drivers etc. But i would put money on it that this pc uses generic drivers, that are easily found for any linux distribution.

My OS of choice is definitely vista ultimate 64bit edition. I have both the old p4 3.2 HT and my Core2Quad Q6700 running this OS and apart from the fact that drivers are hard to source, it's a brilliant OS...

Advertisement