Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC in Aldi €679.99

Options
  • 24-11-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Powerful Quad Core processor
    Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q8200 (2.33GHz, 4 MB cache, FSB 1333MHz). Impressive power and speed – the new Intel® Quad Core technology provides both. With four cores the Intel® Core™2 Quad manages multitasking effortlessly and in the blink of an eye.

Huge memory
    4GB DDR2-RAM, Dual Channel Mode.2

Massive storage capacity
    1000GB hard disk (Serial ATA 2, 16 MB cache). For storing more than 200,000 music tracks/photos or 600 hours of TV recordings.1

High performance graphics
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 9600GT (512MB GDDR3 RAM with HDMI and DVI output). For unmatched realism with multimedia applications, movie playback and games it has to be the NVIDIA® GeForce® 9600GT. The 512MB dedicated memory and integrated HDMI interface make the MEDION® AKOYA® P7300 D the perfect partner for your LCD or Plasma TV.

Easy future expansion
    With the MEDION data port2 you can easily connect the external HDDrive2Go Ultra Speed and expand your storage capacity.5

High Speed Wireless LAN 802.11n Draft
    With up to 300 MBit/s. 802.11 b/g compatible.4

Multi-Standard DVD/CD Writer
    With DVD-RAM and Dual-Layer support.3

Extra software package
    (OEM versions pre-installed and/or on CD/DVD or Recovery CD/DVD):

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium. With new Media Center Interface (32 Bit & 64 Bit/incl. SP1)
    Microsoft® Works® 9.0. Incl. Microsoft® Office Home and Student Trial Version 60 day test version (internet access required for activation)
    Corel® Draw Essentials 3 + Corel® Media One™
    MEDION Home Cinema Suite (PowerDirector 7, PowerProducer 5, Power DVD™ 7, MediaShow)
    Nero essentials3 (Nero Burning ROM 8, Nero Recode 3, Nero Express 8, Nero Vision 5)
    BullGuard Internet Security Pack6 (90 day trial version)
    Accessories included:

Remote control
    Wireless multimedia keyboard
    Wireless optical scroll mouse
    Numerous ports

HDMI + DVI
    Connect the MEDION® AKOYA® PC to a HD ready TV via HDMI/DVI port to give you brilliant colours and picture perfect clarity – the ultimate digital home cinema experience.

All the support you need
    36 month manufacturer’s warranty. MEDION offer a telephone support hotline charged at National Rates and a return to manufacturer service for repair.

I am seriously considering getting this it actually looks ok.

they have a load of other offers on pc accessories too check it out her for yourself

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week48thursday08.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Was looking at this alright/

Looks pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

ayatollah wrote: »

Easy future expansion
    With the MEDION data port2 you can easily connect the external HDDrive2Go Ultra Speed and expand your storage capacity.

I presume this is Aldi marketing speak for an External SATA port? They're trying to make it sound like they have a patent on it. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

God help you if anything goes wrong- what sort of after sales service are you expecting?

I'm an apple convert and I'm not going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Boots09

God help you if anything goes wrong- what sort of after sales service are you expecting?
    I bought my Laptop in Lidl had a problem with the power supply/battery after about 8 months rang manufacturer up(For after sales you deal directly with manufacturer) they sent a courier to collect it had it repaired and returned in about 2 weeks slightly less. I was very happy with there after sales service can only presume Aldi's would be along the same lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Wanna show me an apple near that spec for €679?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

Excellent spec for the price. A Dell XPS of similar spec would be close to €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I have an Aldi cheap desktop pc the last 3 years, never once had to re-install XP either, not one bit of trouble with it, couldnt recommend it enough.....

Folks use it mainly in the sitting room, its great, now they have laptops it kinda collects dust.....

Another journalist friend of mine bought an aldi laptop say 3 years ago, he relies heavily on his laptop for work for obvious reasons, he had an issue with a power supply after bout 2 years and they had it back to him within 4 days (from Germany apparently)

Also a friend of the family works for Aldi as a manager and said if at all your unhappy with the purchase they will more than likely refund you up to 2 years after you buy it!

In regard to the mac thing, my future mac purchase is 3K, granted its for music only so they dont really compare to a cheap ass aldi pc -

:rolleyes:

Thats a bit of a silly comment from Mr "ive got a mac" Incognito.....

I hope you get a cd stuck in your DVD drive like most macbooks do these days and in no time you'll be making your way out to blanchardstown to collect it.....

:p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Actually Aldi and Lidl are considered to have some of the best support in the industry.

All their electronics include a 3 year guarantee and if anything goes wrong they will either send around an engineer to fix it or a courier to pick it up.

You pay a lot of extra money to get the same level of support from Apple, doesn't come as standard, you need to buy an applecare contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭shayg1971

Sticks in the craw a bit that Aldi are selling this in the UK for £499 (€590 at today's rate). Ok, so maybe €25 of the difference is VAT, and no doubt the rest is somthing else plausible that they can make up... Time to get some Aldis into NI methinks.

Also, the UK spec description includes:
    "Watch and record digital TV programmes
    Integrated triple-use TV tuner for analogue TV, DVB-T and DVB-S".

Presumably the TV card is in the Irish one as well (identical model number), and they've pulled it out of the spec description in case it would mislead about the general availability of DVB-T broadcasts here. Still, I wonder if it does MPG-4 decoding on DVB-T in readiness for our digital service (eventually).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

what sort of after sales service are you expecting?

Excellent by all accounts. Apple are robbers BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

i am really surprised as to how good of an offer this is

and some of the accessories are quite reasonable too

i think im going to have to make my way to aldi in carlow on thursday morning

is there a way to get the tv card in ireland at all or we looking at online shopping again!?!?!?!

also anyone know anyone who works in aldi - carlow?!??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

What is your experience of Aldi after sales? Exactly, none. You're talking shít.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

ayatollah wrote: »
    is there a way to get the tv card in ireland at all or we looking at online shopping again!?!?!?!

The spec sheet in their catalog has much more info and it says it is there. :) but I presume they just cut it from the irish site because Ireland does not have any "Official" dvb-t transmissions at present. You might be able to download a mpeg-4 codec to make it work with the Irish DTT tests.

The dvb-s functionality will work fine here tough for satellite. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Lidl have a quad core coming up on Monday aswell for €599.99

08_23753_b.jpg

* Intel® Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200 2.33 GHz
    * 3GB DDRII-RAM 800
    * 640GB Samsung Hard Drive
    * nVidia GeForce 512MB DDRII-RAM
    * LG Dual/Double layer DVD/CD writer with Lightscribe
    * ASUS PEGATRON Motherboard and TV Tuner
    * Software Package: Genuine Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Operating System, Corel Office Home, CorelDraw Essentials 3, PVT Autoroute 2008, Nero 8 Essentials Suite, Bullguard Anti-Virus.
    * Accessories: PS/2 keyboard, USB optical scroll mouse, 2.4 GHz wireless RF remote control with USB receiver, USB W-LAN Stick
    * 6 in 1 card reader for up to 23 different media types
    * 3 year guarantee

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

I've two Aldi desktops. Superb value for the spec - particularly when you're getting things (firewire, e-sata, card readers, tuner, remote, media software, etc.) that you wouldn't get on most comparable pcs. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I have an aldi desktop I bought about 18 months ago, great piece of kit, got everything I need. Best pc I've ever hard. The one thing about these I will say is they don't offer much upgrade options for the future, well atleast with mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Unlike most other mainstream PC's this actually has a good graphics card so you can play most the latest games without having to upgrade, Call of Duty, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

have to say well done aldi - the general consenous from here and word of mouth is that this is a great deal.

i tried to post in the carlow forum to ask if anyone here worked in the carlow aldi to do me a turna and one of the mods locked the post for reasons known only to himself. so i guess i'll have to just take my chances and see what else i can arrange.

i think this is an offer thats too good to miss especially when you see what other companies are charging for lesser machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

I bought one of the Aldi Medion PC's around 3.5 years ago & it's been going fine, I've never reinstalled it or anything. Am tempted by this one but don't really need a new PC as I don't use it for games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

MEDION give a fantastic service. I had a problem with a 17" Monitor that was 2 years, 11 months, old. (Guarantee was for 3 years.) MEDION replaced it with a new, higher spec., 19" one - just because the courier was a bit tardy in collecting it. A friend had a similar experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

most comps are the same,most of the parts sourced from the same suppliers in china,only put their name on the case,if you know how to fix comps you woundnt have much prob fixing it :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

have had a Medion PC for 2 years no issues
    Time to get some Aldis into NI methinks.

Are Aldi in NI?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

slave1 wrote: »

Are Aldi in NI?
    that s what i was thinking! cos it probably would be cheaper there ;) but i don't think there are any

slave1 wrote: »

thank god you said that,some ppl think its the comps fault all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mickr1

the aldi one seems much better. i like the sound of 4 gb ram! but i suppose it depends what you want one for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭FingalAirsoft

Just seen on the big ad outside the Lidl in Balbriggan the pc is going for €799.00:eek::eek: not 599 that is advertised on the website:(

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭webmanie

Hi Guys

I do some video editing , do ye thing that its got what it takes the Aldi pc ?

depends on what sort of editing,only use mine for making dvds and stuff,basically the more ram/processor power,the faster and ease of making the video it gets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

The Lidl one looks awful. The Aldi one looks like an XPS. Better RAM, HDD, graphics, wireless, etc. The only thing the Lidl one has in it's favour is the built-in tv tuner, though I suspect the Pegatrons are analogue only.

Actually, I'm having difficulty seeing what is better about an XPS at twice the price. SideShow? Not likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭webmanie

I use Pinnical studio 12, and the machine i use now is a Medion from aldi as well ,a real work horse but i think pinnical 12 is a bit more demanding

Advertisement