Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGDE(HDip) in Trinity

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Rosita

The points have been quite steady over the past three years. In fact UCD was down one last year so it will be a real bummer if things change dramatically. Of course, there is no actual relationship between the points in different years but if we accept them as a rough guide it would be unusual for any dramatic shifts. The other problem is that you simply don't know how many were, say, on minimum points. The average might be a lot higher than the minimum requirement which would mean that the those on minimum points based on previous years would into a lottery.

I have never seen the offers area on the PAC site like that before (it's not just your computer) and I would have often had a look at it while nosing around. My instinct is to tell everyone to just relax and accept 1st April as the date but perhaps there's something up. I don't know enough about the technical side of this uploading business to comment sensibly on the matter. Maybe it's just one of those things but it's bound to raise eyebrows so close to the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 lena-bell

I'm on the waiting list aswell :( I'm hoping that people will get their NUI choices and drop out of Trinity!!
    I found out a friend of mine has applied for UCD too so it could work out for the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Rosita wrote: »
    Did your rejection letter mention anything about being put on a waiting/reserve list (can't remember the exact term they used)?

If someone you know who was not called for interview at all got the same letter you got I'm thinking that you might not have been told this.

I was rejected too but this was mentioned. I took it to mean very little as I assumed they merely ranked everyone who was interviewed in case there were withdrawals. But if this has not been mentioned in the case of everyone maybe the waiting list thing is a bit more meaningful, if still unlikely to make a difference.

Mind you, I'm hoping that by Wednesday morning this won't matter to me! Having said that, even though I would have had the points to get into the NUI colleges in the last three years, I am quite pessimistic after the Trinity rejection, which is odd in the sense that I applied for Trinity as an afterthought, though it would have been geographically handy for me.

Sorry to hear you were rejected too.
    Yeah my letter did mention the waiting list alright, but I didn't really pay any attention to it. Its not very likely that that will amount to anything for anyone on it really. Although I am sure there are people who have been granted places on the waiting list, I'm willing to bet it doesn't happen very often.

Yeah I'm the same as yourself, roll on wednesday, at least one way or another the waiting will all be over.

I'm just curious of one thing though... If you havent had the points for PAC, how come you got the interview off Trinity. This is something that has been bugging me alot over the last few days...

Take me, for example. I was under the impression that because I got the Trinity interview, this meant that I was eligible to to the course, ie: I have all the requirements and I have enough 'points'. I was therefore under the impression that I would sail through the PAC process. Not so.

I believe that Trinity are obligated to interview a certain number of applicants straight from college(who otherwise would probably never be interviewed) and a certain number from disadvantaged schools (the category I fall under) So was I ever in the running or was I just there to make up numbers? Thats what I'm thinking now.

Well it will all become clear the day after tomorrow. But I tell you, my rejection letter from Trinity has certaintly knocked my confidence. I was never confident that I would get Trinity at all, in fact I sort of knew I wouldn't get it, but I was confident I would have gotten another place somewhere else. Not so sure now.

lena-bell wrote: »
    I'm on the waiting list aswell :( I'm hoping that people will get their NUI choices and drop out of Trinity!!
    I found out a friend of mine has applied for UCD too so it could work out for the better!

Come, join our little waiting list club!! Sorry to hear you didn't get it!! Hopefully it will be good news all round wednesday!!

I'm sorry I started this bloody thread in TCD now that none of us even got in!! Bastards!!

peanuthead wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you were rejected too.
    Yeah my letter did mention the waiting list alright, but I didn't really pay any attention to it. Its not very likely that that will amount to anything for anyone on it really. Although I am sure there are people who have been granted places on the waiting list, I'm willing to bet it doesn't happen very often.

Yeah I'm the same as yourself, roll on wednesday, at least one way or another the waiting will all be over.

I'm just curious of one thing though... If you havent had the points for PAC, how come you got the interview off Trinity. This is something that has been bugging me alot over the last few days...

Take me, for example. I was under the impression that because I got the Trinity interview, this meant that I was eligible to to the course, ie: I have all the requirements and I have enough 'points'. I was therefore under the impression that I would sail through the PAC process. Not so.

I believe that Trinity are obligated to interview a certain number of applicants straight from college(who otherwise would probably never be interviewed) and a certain number from disadvantaged schools (the category I fall under) So was I ever in the running or was I just there to make up numbers? Thats what I'm thinking now.

Well it will all become clear the day after tomorrow. But I tell you, my rejection letter from Trinity has certaintly knocked my confidence. I was never confident that I would get Trinity at all, in fact I sort of knew I wouldn't get it, but I was confident I would have gotten another place somewhere else. Not so sure now.

Well, a friend of mind got through to the course in Trinity with a fairly ordinary degree (a 2.1 but not by much) and zero teaching experience or anything like that.

So I suspect they might have a minimum score and then at the interview everyone starts from scratch, but that's guesswork.

The upshot of that is that you can probably get into Trinity with a lower score than with the PAC. I'll put it this way I have a First in English (the subject I was interviewed for - my PAC score is reduced to a mid 2.1 because my other subject is a high 2.2) and was told during the interview "well, you obviously love the literature", (which is a slight exaggeration but they seemed to think so anyway!) but still was out of luck.

In some ways, as unsatisfactory as the PAC might be relying purely on a degree score, at least there's nobody making arbitrary judgements about one's teaching potential which are realistically impossible to make, or using categories which are maybe not transparent as you imply.

I'm doing a TEFL course with my friend and he has failed an aspect of his teaching practice in both TPs he has done and really gets the jitters about it. In one of mine, my observer said that the things they cannot teach me about teaching (the natural way in the class) I have in abundance. Yet, the Trinity interview board put him ahead of me which surprised us both. That said, I am thrilled for him as he's from a background where he had to drag himself up by the bootlaces.

I'm the same as you confidence-wise, even through there's no connection between the Trinity and the PAC!

Anyway, here's hoping!

• Advertisement

Oh my god guys whats going on, the site is still down, or is it just me?

Although I take it its not just me because no-one has posted up how they got on.

Does anyone know what time the results will be posted up??

Just rang them now and they say it will be after 12 o'clock when the offers are up. You'd have thought that they'd have made the effort to have them up first thing if only to avoid an avalanche of calls.

Offers are up now. I got good news thankfully.

I really hope the few people here on this thread do likewise.

I got UCD!! wohoo!! anyone joining me there?
    (though I still am secretly holding out on the Trinity Waiting list!)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

UCD! Got the star on 47! Hope others do well.

• Advertisement

I got UCD!! wohoo!! anyone joining me there?
    (though I still am secretly holding out on the Trinity Waiting list!)

Just wondering why you are so anxious to get Trinity, since from what from have mentioned previously you seem to be completely mobile, as in not tied down to any specific location?

Good news for me too, got Maynooth!!

UCD was my first choice, so feck you feckers for getting in ahead of me, but as it turns out, maynooth is going to work out very well for me, as a friend of mine is doing hers there too!!

Great news all round by the sounds of things...Rosita, where did you get?

peanuthead wrote: »
    Good news for me too, got Maynooth!!

UCD was my first choice, so feck you feckers for getting in ahead of me, but as it turns out, maynooth is going to work out very well for me, as a friend of mine is doing hers there too!!

Great news all round by the sounds of things...Rosita, where did you get?

I got UCD................now there's something a bit odd here.

If you got Maynooth (43 points minimum), you obviously also had the points for UCD (41 points minimum) so if it was your first choice you should have been offered that, no?

Rosita wrote: »
    I got UCD................now there's something a bit odd here.

If you got Maynooth (43 points minimum), you obviously also had the points for UCD (41 points minimum) so if it was your first choice you should have been offered that, no?

yeah but the standard must have been quite high, and depending on where I came on the list, I think UCD must have been full by the time they came round to me!!

Which is worrying in a way, cause my points were quite high, which was more to do with Teaching experience than it was good results

Anywho, it doesnt matter, I got a place!!

I think the reason I wanted to still go to Trinity was that they have less assignments, and their teaching practice if for full days and one half day. Aparently but correct me if I'm wrong most days at UCD are half days so you have to go between college and school a lot.

The start for a TP school has begun!!

That is really weird about getting Maynooth when UCD was your first choice. My friend didn't get first round Business at UCD so we are holding out for her. hopefully she can get the second round in May.

I think the reason I wanted to still go to Trinity was that they have less assignments, and their teaching practice if for full days and one half day. Aparently but correct me if I'm wrong most days at UCD are half days so you have to go between college and school a lot.

I can't comment on the number of assignments but it's a fair point about the TP. On the other hand, I suppose, it could be argued that being in the school every day allows you to develop a rapport with students/classes. But it is handy being in one place and knowing that you are there for the day!

The UCD arrangement is potentially very awkward for anyone without their own car. But better an awkward arrangement than no arrangement at all! ;)

You need to think of the finiancial side of things too

The more often you are in the school the more eligible you are for extra hours, outside of your TP. You will be paid for those.

Thats why I wanted Trinity. UCD wouldn't be too bad for the hours either, it just seems a bit heavier, with the travelling, longer days etc...

Maynooth isn't the best option for this im afraid, only being in school for two days. That said the two days are Monday and Friday, so they would be the two best days to be in school if looking for supervision/substitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pmurp04

Did anyone get trinity? If so, how long do you have to accept a place on the course (i.e. how long will it be before people find out about waiting list?) I had 42 points and got offered nothing... raging!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 a.auhl

pmurp04 wrote: »
    Did anyone get trinity? If so, how long do you have to accept a place on the course (i.e. how long will it be before people find out about waiting list?) I had 42 points and got offered nothing... raging!:mad:

I got offered Trinity on monday last and you hav to accept your place by the 17th of April. So i guess second round offers are out the start of may. I also got offered Maynooth yesterday too but im goin to go with trinners, so thats 1 place that will be freed up in maynooth if anyones waiting. im sending my acceptance letter 2day so i can 4get about that and start lookin for a TP school... That was my 3rd time applying through the NUI's and the first time i got an offer - it was my first time applying to Trinity and got in so im accepting them.....

Has anyone started looking for teaching practice placement? I have only sent one letter so far need to get onto it today. apparently places go super quickly some might even be gone.
    How is everyone going about getting TP, letters, CVs, connections or visiting the schools themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pmurp04

Has anyone started looking for teaching practice placement? I have only sent one letter so far need to get onto it today. apparently places go super quickly some might even be gone.
    How is everyone going about getting TP, letters, CVs, connections or visiting the schools themselves?

Letters are best apparently but don't worry too much as if you have problems the college set you up with a school (this happened to my friend last yr)

Schools on two weeks holidays as and from today too, so don't be worried if you don't hear back for a while.

I'm going to apply to loads of schools in the UCD area and see how I get on. I'll to use connections too. As schools are on a 2 week break it kind of puts people on equal footings with getting their letters in.

At the moment I am all confused about the two courses in subject teaching. As Geog and Archaeology were my primary subjects I don't know what I can take as my second subject ?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 murpha34

Hi,
    Trinity dips do school mon morn, college @ 2. Tue and wed college. THur and fri school.
    UCD do school every morn college by two.
    As for assignments tcd get more! (4!) but they're all due by end of march. Ucd assignments due after hols. Tcd have 4 exams UCD have 1 that covers four topics.
    TCD gets four announced tp visits
    UCD get six (4major, 2 minor) unannounced tp visits.
    As for minors for geog, think of another subject you think you'll be good at / like that will be good for teaching posts i.e. Irish, Maths, English.
    Congrats to all and rem it is a tough year, but worth it!!

Can anyone clear up something for me bout Maynooth??

It says that if you have a double honours degree, you must teach both subjects during TP,

Now I'm not at all sure about this, how do I know if my degree is double honours?? I did the BA in UCD, in English and Spanish.

Im just wondering where I will stand here, as the school I have been working in for the last 3 years, and the school I wanted to do my TP in, doesnt teach spanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 paddys79

Does anyone know what kind of holidays you get on the HDip in trinity. Do they coincide with the mid-terms and easter holdidays etc that there are in the school? Just wanted to know so I could figure out if I could possibly get a couple of weeks work during those weeks the schools are closed???

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 murpha34

Hi ya.
    Trinity works off the school calender with regard to holidays. So if school is closed for midterm easter etc you will not have college

Advertisement