Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGDE(HDip) in Trinity

Options
  • 23-11-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Hi

So I've almost finished my application for the P.G.D.E in Trinity for 2009-2010. I'm just wondering if anyone who is doing the course at the moment can tell me anything about the required reading for the course? What books are recommended reading? Any other relevant help is appreciated!! Thanks!!

Comments

Maybe if you don't use acronyms people may be able to help...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Maybe if you don't use acronyms people may be able to help...

Well, it's the Postgraduate Diploma in Education, formerly called the Higher Diploma in Education, but I would think people who could help me on this (people actually doing the course) would already know that!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Chance your arm and politely email one of the Executive Officers for a reading list or two if possible.

Chance your arm and politely email one of the Executive Officers for a reading list or two if possible.

Good idea, ill do that!! thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 murpha34

Hi ya, I'm doing the PGDE at the mo, With regard to to the reading list They give alot of recommended readings but will generally say one is required. With Sociology its the Giddens Sociology 5th edition. Special Education Its the Michael Shevlin book. With these books they are all available in the Library but go fast as deadlines approach.
    If I was to give you one tip on reading lists Get the Curriculum for your subject and teacher guidelines. Available on education .ie or from gov publications office off dawson st.
    Best of Luck its a very intense year

• Advertisement

murpha34 wrote: »
    Hi ya, I'm doing the PGDE at the mo, With regard to to the reading list They give alot of recommended readings but will generally say one is required. With Sociology its the Giddens Sociology 5th edition. Special Education Its the Michael Shevlin book. With these books they are all available in the Library but go fast as deadlines approach.
    If I was to give you one tip on reading lists Get the Curriculum for your subject and teacher guidelines. Available on education .ie or from gov publications office off dawson st.
    Best of Luck its a very intense year

Cheers!

Ill be doing English anyway but cheers for the info, ill check that website asap!! My second subject is Spanish, although Ive not spoken a word of it in 5years, as the school I ended up at doesnt teach it. Do you know whether or not my interview will be in Spanish? And don't forget that Sean Griffin wrote that Special Needs book with Michael Shevlin!! :) (Sean is my lovely uncle)

thanks for the help
    peanuthead

Hey,
    Far as I know they'll onl speak to you bout the english. You'll have added advantage so for the SEN course (4000 word assignment), bets of luck with the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

is it true that aoibheann ni shuillebhan or however you spell it is doing the course at the moment?

skregs wrote: »
    is it true that aoibheann ni shuillebhan or however you spell it is doing the course at the moment?

well she is a teacher alright, whether or not she's fully qualified or not tho im not sure,

Okay, so I got my date for Interview. Can anyone help me out with any sort of help, regarding the kinds of questions I may be asked at this interview??

• Advertisement

Hey,
    not entirely sure about english but as far as I was interviewed q's revolved around:
    Subject knowledge-how willing was I teach aspects of the course considered "hard" or "Boring" (very willing!!!!)
    Why I wanted to be a teacher? (not enough to say always wanted to be, have to demonstrate interest in working with young people i.e. sports clubs etc)
    Why I picked Trinity?
    What you can bring to the profession of teaching?
    How would you deal with certain scenarios ie poor behaviour etc
    Some subjects got asked to demonstrate subject knowledge.
    Know the course. Poets, shakesphere plays etc

Turn negatives into positives.
    They also give you a chance to ask Q's prepare one or two are it shows your really interested in course. Interview will be with a college person (lecturer) and someone who has worked in teaching profession (ie principal of school)
    Best of luck ;-)

murpha34 wrote: »
    Hey,
    not entirely sure about english but as far as I was interviewed q's revolved around:
    Subject knowledge-how willing was I teach aspects of the course considered "hard" or "Boring" (very willing!!!!)
    Why I wanted to be a teacher? (not enough to say always wanted to be, have to demonstrate interest in working with young people i.e. sports clubs etc)
    Why I picked Trinity?
    What you can bring to the profession of teaching?
    How would you deal with certain scenarios ie poor behaviour etc
    Some subjects got asked to demonstrate subject knowledge.
    Know the course. Poets, shakesphere plays etc

Turn negatives into positives.
    They also give you a chance to ask Q's prepare one or two are it shows your really interested in course. Interview will be with a college person (lecturer) and someone who has worked in teaching profession (ie principal of school)
    Best of luck ;-)

Hey

thanks for the advice, had the interview today anyway, it went well, we will see now, 50 interviewed, only 15 places available for english!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

peanuthead wrote: »
    Hey

thanks for the advice, had the interview today anyway, it went well, we will see now, 50 interviewed, only 15 places available for english!!

Those are not bad odds in so far as these possibilities can be judged by numbers alone. Glad it went well anyway!

Glad to hear it went well. Knew demand was high this year but fingers crossed you'll get good news come april.
    Best of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 lena-bell

I had my interview last week. i have no idea how it went!
    Does anyone know how many people were interviewed for Geography?

Not sure how many went for each subject interviews but demand is well up on last year. Dont let that get ya down though. Sorry not much help

the only reason I know the numbers for english was because I asked them. Yeah the odds aren't bad, Im no maths teacher, but I think it works out at around 1 in 3 chance of getting a place. What bugs me though, is how they manage to get rid of 35 people. I mean they cant all be nutters!!!!

yea everyone I met before the interview and after were very nice and had as much experience as me! I suppose they have a good enough idea who they want before the interview.
    getting close to when we know now!

Yeah they grade you in accordance of your qualification ie masters, 1.1, 2.1, 2.2 etc.
    As far as I know your qualification counts for 80% and the Interview 20% but A good interview can change whether you get accepted. Our Pedagogy Lecturer told us this.

The letters from the CAO and Trinity should arrive on the same day. THe waiting is nerve wrecking though.

I didn't do very well in my undergrad but I have been teaching for 3 years so I hope that outways it. The waiting game is getting old :)
    Wish Wednesday would just roll around already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

You might get your letter today, as I did. Not good news here though. Pretty disappointed as I thought my interview went ok. At least I have DCU. Is anyone holding out with that too?

Like that, my undergrad results could have been better, but my postgrad results were spot on, A's and B's. My interview went quite well and I've 3 years experience too.

Still waiting. Nothing in the post as of yet, but then again, the post man hasn't been yet.

Fidge, sorry to hear you didn't get a place. You (and possibly me) are one of those 35 I'm talking about. People who deserve it just as much as anyone, but just get knocked out because there aren't enough places.

I've not applied to DCU but I have Maynooth, UCD, Galway and Cork as back-ups, in that order.

Cant see myself making the move to Galway or Cork tho (absolutely nothing personal, I just have a good thing going school/renting wise here, don't want to leave it) so after Trinity, I've 2 more options.

Best of luck people, keep posting as you hear!!

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get it. At least you have DCU. It's two years part time right? At least you can work while attending so it won't be so much of a financial burden after the fact.
    I'd move anywhere. I was in cork for my undergrad it's a great city to live in and so much cheaper than Dublin. Also there is tonnes of accomadation near UCC. Also you can walk pretty much anywhere in Cork.
    Don't know much about Galway.
    I put down UCD as my first choice then Cork, Maynooth, Galway.
    My post goes home to Limerick. so I will have to wait a bit longer anyways.
    Best of luck peanuthead!

Yes, two years part-time. But with so little substitution-supervision available, it's not ideal tobe starting into a part-time course now. Also, all schools are having their EFL/EAL teaching budgets/teacher numbers cut!

I rang the PAC this morning, they said offers will definitely be up on Wednesday!

Yeah Trinity rejected me too!! Feckers!! So we will be sitting tight until wednesday!!

It's pretty annoying that they don't tell why you were rejected/that you cannot get feedback. It's the same bog-standard letter that you receive if you do not get the interview (I've got both at this stage).

While DCU is good to have, there's little/no guarantee of work next year, nothing is a given at the moment. So two years of just two evenings a week and potentially no income is a big ask.

Peanut, how many times have you applied to Trinity?

Any indication/infor/word on PAC points going up anyone? They wouldn't tell me anything.

Fidge9 wrote: »
    It's pretty annoying that they don't tell why you were rejected/that you cannot get feedback. It's the same bog-standard letter that you receive if you do not get the interview (I've got both at this stage).

While DCU is good to have, there's little/no guarantee of work next year, nothing is a given at the moment. So two years of just two evenings a week and potentially no income is a big ask.

Peanut, how many times have you applied to Trinity?

Any indication/infor/word on PAC points going up anyone? They wouldn't tell me anything.

This is my first time to apply for the Dip at all. One of the girls in work applied too, got no interview and got the same rejection letter as me alright. A tad annoying that there is no feedback alright.

AFAIK, pac results go online Wednesday. Don't know if thats 12am Tuesday night, or 9am Wednesday morning. But I'll be checking from midnight tues

Sorry to hear you didn't get in peanut thats a pity. best of luck on Wednesday. I still haven't heard about Trinity the letter should arrive today going to run home from work at lunch time. I am very tempted to break away. I am not going to get any work done till I know!

Aren't companies legally entitled to give you feed back/ show you your interview comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Rosita

peanuthead wrote: »
    This is my first time to apply for the Dip at all. One of the girls in work applied too, got no interview and got the same rejection letter as me alright.

Did your rejection letter mention anything about being put on a waiting/reserve list (can't remember the exact term they used)?

If someone you know who was not called for interview at all got the same letter you got I'm thinking that you might not have been told this.

I was rejected too but this was mentioned. I took it to mean very little as I assumed they merely ranked everyone who was interviewed in case there were withdrawals. But if this has not been mentioned in the case of everyone maybe the waiting list thing is a bit more meaningful, if still unlikely to make a difference.

Mind you, I'm hoping that by Wednesday morning this won't matter to me! Having said that, even though I would have had the points to get into the NUI colleges in the last three years, I am quite pessimistic after the Trinity rejection, which is odd in the sense that I applied for Trinity as an afterthought, though it would have been geographically handy for me.

• Advertisement

I would have cleared the points aswell last year. going to be very annoyed if I miss it if they jump a lot.
    PAC.ie is down at the moment! I wonder does that mean they are uploading things? or just my computer? I got into the general PAC page but not into the PGDE side. Anyone else having this problem?

Advertisement