Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinning vs Mashing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

niceonetom wrote: »
    dammit...

It improves style though?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

My personal experience is that since I got a fixie (1) my average cadence has gone up; (2) peak cadence has gone up; (3) I am also able to power up hills in a difficult gear; (4) I find it easier to "pedal in circles" through the entire pedal stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

blorg wrote: »
    My personal experience is that since I got a fixie (1) my average cadence has gone up; (2) I am also able to power up hills in a difficult gear; (3) I find it easier to "pedal in circles" through the entire pedal stroke.

good enough for me. blorg > Josh Horowitz.

it does improve style too. not as much as my silk cravat tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rogerb

el tonto wrote: »
    I found this piece pretty interesting

Both very interesting articles, thank you. I particularly like the term "ventilatory distress". Reading debunking articles about training is so satisfying. I feel better already just thinking about all the effort I'm not wasting and the ventilatory distress I'm avoiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

So are PowerCranks on a singlespeed the ultimate training tool?

Or just a really unpleasant and confusing way to spend the winter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Raam wrote: »
    Who ate all the pies, who ate all the pies?

I did! 5'11' 83kg ;)

MCOS wrote: »
    I did! 5'11' 83kg ;)

I think there was a guy on here who was 6' and weighed less than 60kg. A Cork or Kerry chap. I can't remember his name though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lumen wrote: »
    So are PowerCranks on a singlespeed the ultimate training tool?

Or just a really unpleasant and confusing way to spend the winter?

Ah, Pez are always pushing the PowerCranks. I've yet to be convinced though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

6ft3 and 100kg. I'm the anti-Raam. I'll eat your young if you're not careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I'm 5' 7" and weigh just under 9 stone and MCOS ate all my pies!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

6ft3 and 100kg. I'm the anti-Raam. I'll eat your young if you're not careful.

Now my work mates are looking at me funny for laughing at the computer.

If the wimmin could see us now, all talking about our weight.

So what's best for shaving your legs?:eek:

If the wimmin could see us now, all talking about our weight.

Very important topic when some look pedal axles are only for sub 95k riders;)

Obsessing about your weight, sharing leg shaving tips and fretting about matching your bar tape to your saddle. What's more manly than that?

Obsessing about your weight, sharing leg shaving tips and fretting about matching your bar tape to your saddle. What's more manly than that?

On that note, is it acceptable to have black bar tape with a white saddle?

On that note, is it acceptable to have black bar tape with a white saddle?

Of course it is.... in Club Fred.

Just tell everyone you're a Newcastle United fan.

Lumen wrote: »
    Because you should train like you race, according to the article posted earlier in the thread.

Really? All year round? Do you not believe that winter can be used to work on the reasons you don't win races/places? If you work on increased wattage at low cadence would this not translate into higher wattage for your preferred race cadence? If you can hold a certain wattage at 95rpm for 2 hours, sustained training would mean you good could hold that wattage more efficiently. What would increased strength give you for the same session?

Of course it is.... in Club Fred.

Fiddlesticks.

• Advertisement

Now Brooks do bar tape too...mmmmm brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It seems to be some subconscious rule among cyclists (2 in particular here) that any thread about cycling, in this case pedaling technique, can be lowered to the level of whether or not to shave legs, have matching bar tape/saddle colour, etc.

*sigh*

Once again, Eurocyclist rules!

'68 wrote:

I saw this yesterday...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Cinelli_Imperial_Leather_Bar_Tape/5360039889/

Get some.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    It seems to be some subconscious rule among cyclists (2 in particular here) that any thread about cycling, in this case pedaling technique, can be lowered to the level of whether or not to shave legs, have matching bar tape/saddle colour, etc.

Finally, someone else gets it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

'68 wrote:
    There are meant to be a fair few drawbacks to that, enough to keep me from using it (speaking as an owner of four Brooks saddles.) One of the key ones is that it appears to have a tendency to go white in the places your hands touch it. I am not sure leather is an optimal material for bar tape TBH. I also do see bar tape as a bit of a consumable, and you wouldn't want that at the price Brooks are charging. Sorry, what was the topic again?

Damn it! Wiggle got blocked on my work computer.

I prefer to spin on the climbs but often run out of gears and end up mashing(just to get back to topic:)).

blorg wrote: »
    There are meant to be a fair few drawbacks to that, enough to keep me from using it (speaking as an owner of four Brooks saddles.) One of the key ones is that it appears to have a tendency to go white in the places your hands touch it. I am not sure leather is an optimal material for bar tape TBH. I also do see bar tape as a bit of a consumable, and you wouldn't want that at the price Brooks are charging. Sorry, what was the topic again?

Yes, I don't think leather bar tape is a good idea in Irish weather.

Blorg, I'm a big fan of Cinelli Cork tape and I noticed recently one of the colours it comes in is 'natural', which is basically brown. Might be the answer for a Brooks owner.

'68 wrote:

I prefer to spin on the climbs but often run out of gears and end up mashing(just to get back to topic:)).

Thanks for steering back to topic ;)

Wiggle blocked... bummer dude :( I had to order a bunch of stuff off them this week after a learning I got last weekend. Chainreaction also wont answer emails or calls. Ordered a pair of Oakleys and got no confirmation:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

MCOS wrote: »
    Really? All year round? Do you not believe that winter can be used to work on the reasons you don't win races/places? If you work on increased wattage at low cadence would this not translate into higher wattage for your preferred race cadence? If you can hold a certain wattage at 95rpm for 2 hours, sustained training would mean you good could hold that wattage more efficiently. What would increased strength give you for the same session?

I really don't have strong opinions about this, I was just referring to the article under discussion.

However...

Whilst it's possible to construct endless theories about training methodology, to me it seems logical that the starting point for any physical conditioning should be "train for the thing you're training for" and any deviations from that should be backed up by solid evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

'68 wrote:
    €76 bar tape :eek:

Advertisement