Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinning vs Mashing

Options
  • 20-11-2008 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've hear these two terms and would like your thoughts. I understand spinning is faster cadence on a lower gear and mashing the opposite? However when is it essential to do either of these? How do you manage your gears when you are on a 3 hour spin that includes drafting and climbing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Your definitions are right, but it's never really 'necessary' to do one over the other -some people are naturally spinners (like Blorg), and some are mashers (that'd be me!)... it's all down to what's comfortable for you -though spinning is said to be more efficient, and I'm working on building my cadence up over this winter :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The theory is that spinning in a higher cadence puts more emphasis on your cardiovascular system rather than your leg muscles. Done right, you rely on your aerobic fitness and it takes longer for your muscles to burn out.

I found this piece pretty interesting on the topic recently, which stresses it isn't simply a case of high cadence good/low cadence bad, but rather finding the optimal combo to suit your physical makeup.

I don't think there's a particular occassion to do one or the other on a normal spin, rather a case of finding the right cadence for you and sticking to it. My cadence would slow when drafting or on particularly steep gradients, but otherwise its fairly consistant.

Sometimes I'd do an entire spin in the small ring just get a good cardiovascular workout, other times I'd spend a lot of time humping up hills for strength work. I'm by no means a training guru though, so I'd try and read up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm also no expert but I do think it's a good idea to be able to do both. Riding a fixie up the mountains will sort this out for you. You get comfortable both with powering up climbs in a high gear at a low RPM (mashing) and spinning down them at very high cadences in a low gear (for the circumstances, obviously it is the same gear) :D

To a large extent your options on climbs will be dictated by the gearing you have; you are unlikely to be able to maintain over 100RPM up steep gradients if you run a standard double and your lowest gear is 39-23 for example. (Presuming you are not a pro.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Mashing will give you big ugly calf muscles :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I heard long distance guys also do spinning to save wear on the knees/joints.
    Mashing will give you big ugly calf muscles
    That is a point though, mashing is more suited to strong guys. So I would presume short distance pro cyclists would be a lot more muscular, just like sprinters (running) are more muscular than a marathon runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

rubadub wrote: »
    That is a point though, mashing is more suited to strong guys.

It depends what you mean by "strong". As I understand it, fast twitch (or more specifically Type IIb) muscle fibres are no good on a bike, except for sprinting or short hills, because they can't operate aerobically. So someone with a heavy build will probably be carrying lots of useless muscle, which won't work at low or high cadence.

Type IIa fibres (also "fast") are still fatter than the Type 1 (slow twitch) muscles, but can operate both aerobically and anaerobically. This may apply to someone with "big legs" who can cycle fast over long distance.

An alternative definition of "strong" is just someone who can produce lots of power, but can't sustain it due to relatively inadequate cardiovascular capacity. Such a person will benefit from lower cadence, because they can produce the torque, and because it's more efficient.

I think Lance spins/span so fast because he has spare aerobic capacity (for whatever reason) so can afford the inefficiency.

End ramble.

FWIW, I can't produce much torque because (a) I'm crap, and (b) I'm skinny. So I usually ride at 90-100rpm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

el tonto wrote: »
    I found this piece pretty interesting on the topic recently, which stresses it isn't simply a case of high cadence good/low cadence bad, but rather finding the optimal combo to suit your physical makeup.

This was interesting. So my next question is what is your optimal combo for your own wieght/strenth/CV fitness?

About 90 mins into a group spin last weekend a guy from the cycling club looked at me and said "I see you are on the big gear already". I didn't get it until I realised I was at a lower cadence from everyone else and had been for the spin.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

MCOS wrote: »
    This was interesting. So my next question is what is your optimal combo for your own wieght/strenth/CV fitness?

About 90 mins into a group spin last weekend a guy from the cycling club looked at me and said "I see you are on the big gear already". I didn't get it until I realised I was at a lower cadence from everyone else and had been for the spin.

100rpm works for me, but everyone is different.

A lot of guys in cycling clubs will just ride in the small ring for the winter, so maybe that's what he was referring to.

I'm 6'3", 68kg and I hang around the mid 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Raam wrote: »

Sure whatever floats your boat I guess. Those old age pensioners have experience. Might do better on the personals though

• Advertisement

Verb wrote: »
    Sure whatever floats your boat I guess. Those old age pensioners have experience. Might do better on the personals though

Hey, it's easy pickings with that bunch :)

I'm 6'3", 68kg

Jesus that's light. Have you got a full complement of limbs?

I thought I was skinny at 72kg and 6'.

Wife: you're too skinny.
    Me: I was this weight when we met.
    Wife: yeah, but you had muscles then.

:eek: Do you eat?! Thats soo light for someone your height!

As for the cycling club guys spinning on low rings... yeah they did until they had about 20k to go and then they put on the afterburners

Just naturally skinny, always been that way.

And we wonder why Raam is so good at climbing...

If I turn sideways, I'm invisible :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Raam: Kate Moss of the cycling world.

Maybe we could start calling you "Mossy"?

Or "Kate"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

rubadub wrote: »
    I heard long distance guys also do spinning to save wear on the knees/joints.
    I think this is true. You put a lot more pressure on you knee joints pushing a big load.
    fookin hell. You must bomb up hills.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Raam: Kate Moss of the cycling world.

Maybe we could start calling you "Mossy"?

Or "Kate"?

EL_TONTO WEARS OVERSHOES IN THE SUMMER TO KEEP HIS SHOES CLEAN!!!!!

Phew, changed the subject nicely there.

Yeah, sound like Raam should 'mash' some potatoes and get them into him:D

Ok, If a lower cadence is more efficient, why do cyclists spin their way through winter. Is this not the time to get some resistance training on the legs in the gym and build strength endurance with low cadence climbs so that you produce more watts for your mid 90s, 100 rpm etc...?

• Advertisement

Ok, If a lower cadence is more efficient, why do cyclists spin their way through winter.

Because you should train like you race, according to the article posted earlier in the thread.

OK, just my nose is visible then ;)

Ok, If a lower cadence is more efficient, why do cyclists spin their way through winter. Is this not the time to get some resistance training on the legs in the gym and build strength endurance with low cadence climbs so that you produce more watts for your mid 90s, 100 rpm etc...?

I read a piece recently, I think it was on Pez, which argued that a lot of the winter training practices are a bit outdated. The guy was saying that the winter was absolutely the time for mashing up hills and building strength, since you don't have to worry about recovering in time for races.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Diarmuid wrote: »
    fookin hell. You must bomb up hills.
    This would be an accurate diagnosis :D

@Tonto- 100 RPM is quite a high cadence I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Chr!st, I'm 5'8 and 75kg! Time to get a gastric band! I always thought Raam was a polar bear.

'68 wrote:
    Chr!st, I'm 5'8 and 75kg! Time to get a gastric band! I always thought Raam was a polar bear.

Who ate all the pies, who ate all the pies?

blorg wrote: »
    @Tonto- 100 RPM is quite a high cadence I would have thought.

That would be when I'm going at normal pace. At the end of a spin, my average usually reads around 80, which is probably accounted for by coasting, drafting, stopping at lights and the odd bit of hard climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Who ate all the pies, who ate all the pies?

mmmmmmm...pies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

el tonto wrote: »
    Myth #1: Riding a fixed gear improves pedaling efficiency and leg speed.

dammit...

Advertisement