Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW FIRE SAFETY GUIDANCE - BS 9999

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Check with your local fire officer first before using BS9999, some are not accecpting applications using this code mainly according to my local Fire officer because they havn't been trained up in it yet. Speaking of which anyone going to this CPD night http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055535442&page=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

We had that CPD in house 2 weeks ago, well worth going to imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭r-i-tect

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Should the means of minimising risk be on the onus of the individual, the managment of the building, the designers, the constructors, the fire rescue service ..... or, as i would assert, all of the above?

Syd, You raise a good point, one that BS9999 tries to cover by high lighting the inadequacies of the refuge concept and starts highlighting the alternatives and their pit falls (Training, evac chairs etc.) In essence responsibility should be across the board, but in reality it is only flagged when a person with a disability enters a work place or worse still when a potential risk emerges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

While I can't say I have a working knowledge of BS 9999 yet, from my review of it so far and discussions I've had its my opinion that it will be case of using either TDG-B or BS999 for demonstrating compliance with the 5 parts of Part B of the building regulations and not a case of mix and match between both documents, as there are some significant differences.

As in the title BS9999 isn't just a document to be used for the fire safety design of buildings, it also is a code of practice for the management and use of the building in terms of fire safety and in reality building owners and occupiers need to be aware of their responsibilities under the document. As designers we should (possibly) need to make our clients aware of the document and their responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Had to use BS9999 during the summer for a fire cert application for a large supermarket.

I'm only going into 3rd Year surveying and had to start from scratch, I still see that document in me nightmares!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

10 years on and still no official recognition of BS 9999 in the Irish regs. Who would have thought!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement