Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of 'Real Ale' in Irish Pubs

Options
  • 18-11-2008 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Just came back from a weekend in Belfast where Real Ale is readily available 'On Tap' in many pubs, Abbott Ale, Spitfire, Bombardier, Speckled Hen, etc, etc, all available from time to time, but whats the story here (re lack of Real Ale's) in the Republic?

This lack of Ale also applies to the bottled variety, recently I was introduced to 'Bombardier' Beer in England (not available here) & more recently 'Neil Morrissey's Blonde Ale' (not available here either) although both are readily available in Tesco stores throughout the UK (including Belfast).

I really cant understand the lack of Ale's here in Ireland, considering their historic popularity next door, surely there must be a market for 'On Tap' & Bottled Ale's here in Ireland ....... ?

Anyone any ideas.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

It's all Diageos fault.
    Brainwashing by the media into accepting bland, flavourless 'beer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I'd drink ale if it was available but unfortunately you'd be hard pushed to find it. You might have some luck in places that have an excellent beer selection such as BierHaus but even then chances are high that it would be bottled.

Its just there's no demand. The general Irish population are content to drink the standard fare thrown at them by Diageo and all sorts of brightly coloured sugar filled bottled drinks. Couple that with the fact that an awful lot of people here dont care what they are drinking tastes like and only drink to get hammered drunk and you have no competition and no need to introduce any other type/brands.

Its sad really. Luckily there are a few off licenses that are really expanding their selections in the recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kenmc wrote: »
    It's all Diageos fault.
    Brainwashing by the media into accepting bland, flavourless 'beer'.

This isn't correct.

I never see any of these other brands advertised on "British" tv channels.

Actually.

Only very recently London Pride has been seen on the side-hoardings ay England games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

As far a I see it the are two main problems, publicans not will or interest in pushing their range (unless there is an international brewing company doing heavy promotions), getting educated about what they sell and try to expand their range. An the second the public's inertia to change what they drink and a some what jingoistic approach to ale's

Bombardier is available as for Morrissey's fox Blonde Ale that's no real loss and probably not a healthy idea for micro's in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I had three bottles of "London pride" at the weekend- lovely stuff, is it rebranded as anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

spadder wrote: »
    is it rebranded as anything else?

It can be bought as London Pride in most good Off Licences, and Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Its the lack of 'On Tap' beers in Pubs that really irks me, I do realise that some beers are slowly making an appearance on the Irish scene, in drips & drabs (bottled) but not on Tap!

I had heard that "Morrissey's fox Blonde Ale" was a nice Golden brew :) but I will have to wait for me next UK trip to check it out, and as for "Bombardier" did somebody say that its actually available" here in Ireland ?

Camelot wrote: »
    and as for "Bombardier" did somebody say that its actually available" (bottled) here in Ireland ?

Its doing the rounds in a few off licences

Its the lack of 'On Tap' beers in Pubs that really irks me, ?

Is that cask or keg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The Spar in Dalkey usually has a good selection of ales, I have bought Hobgoblin (Tins and bottles), Directors, Spitfire, Badger (Or it might have been tabglefoot, can't remember) and Newcastle brown from there, they also had a few Scottish ones as well. I think they sell John Smiths bitter in cans as well.

Usually a good selection of German ales in there too.

as much as i love guinness, I do miss a hand drawn pint.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

kenmc wrote: »
    It's all Diageos fault.
    It's Guinness's fault really: they were the ones who destroyed competition in the Irish market and then used their dominance to reduce the variety and quality of their own products. They had the drinkers and the publicans working for their interests long before the merger with Grand Met happened.

The reason it's so difficult to roll back these changes, as they did to a certain extent in the UK, is down to a number of factors, the biggest of which is the barriers to entry into the licensed trade. With a closed market and the exorbitant cost of a licence, pubs have very tight margins. The chances of them re-introducing the cellaring costs and the inevitable wastage associated with cask beer are virtually non-existent. Likewise the possibility of stocking things which might not sell.

The big breweries' continued grip on the public consciousness through marketing and sponsorship is another part of the problem, as you say. We all know people who insist that Guinness is the world's best stout, despite being aware of virtually no other ones.

But that's not to say we can't change things and introduce more choice and better beer to Ireland. Step one is to drink only the beer you want to drink, and not the ones the advertisers are cramming down your throat. Step two is to ask your local beer supplier -- pub and off licence -- to stock the products you want. There are dozens of UK bottled beers available from Irish distributors, and there are several independent Irish breweries making draught beer for pubs. Ask for it, and if it's not in stock, ask why not.

Publicans will happily tell you "there's no demand for anything like that". Show them they're wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

This feels like QI :) Am I about t commit a huge faux-pas and ask why no one has mentioned Smithwicks? Is it not a real ale in your opinion? Also Bass.

Heh heh. The term "Real Ale" is used by CAMRA to refer to beer which is unfiltered, unpasteurised, conditioned by yeast still living in the container (cask or bottle) and served without an external gas supply. Smithwicks is the complete opposite of all these things. It's even briefly lagered, I understand, to make it even blander. Same goes for Bass, Kilkenny, John Smith's Extra Smooth, and Caffrey's.

Also make the majority of bottle beer such as fullers, Shephard Neame and such aren't real ale either

oblivious wrote: »
    Is that cask or keg?

The lack of 'Cask beers' is what we are talking about .............

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

As far as I'm aware the only hand pumped ale available in Dublin is Porterhouse TSB.
    Nice stuff, but the variety of different ales over here is what I love. There are literally hundreds available in London alone.

Though cask conditioning isn't the be-all and end-all of beer.

Right now in Dublin you can get all of these ales either on draught, bottled, or both:

Porterhouse Alt
    Belfast Ale
    Blarney Blonde
    Brainblásta
    Clotworthy Dobbin
    Galway Hooker
    Porterhouse Hop Head
    O'Hara's Red
    Porterhouse Red
    Rebel Red
    Rusty

All Irish, all additive-free, and all worth drinking. If you'd like a bigger selection you need to start drinking these, or the stouts, lagers and wheat beers from the same breweries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Yeah I found Abbots ale the nicest when I lived over in England for a while. Wouldn't be the biggest fan of Bombardier now though...

Blisterman wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the only hand pumped ale available in Dublin is Porterhouse TSB.
    Nice stuff, but the variety of different ales over here is what I love. There are literally hundreds available in London alone.

Yes Blisterman, thats exactly what I mean, hundreds available in London 'Greater London Area' and just (One Cask Ale) Porterhouse TSB available 'ON TAP' = Hand Pumped here in Dublin which I find surprising :cool:

Apparently the JD Wetherspoon Chain of Pubs 'were' going to enter the Irish market a couple of years ago (along with their Ales), but the deal fell through .......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dont forget most pubs in the uk - dont know about the north have cellars and you need that constant temprature for cask ale also cask is delivered left to sit for a couple of days and really has to be finished within 3 days, thats why irish pubs took to keg so readily dont need a cellar, longer shelf life, chillers so you dont need a constant temp cool room to keep it in. mind you cask is getting rarer in england now for the same reasons. looking forward to some when i'm over at christmas though.

apparently the weatherspoons deal fell through because guiness refused to supply them and they thought that m ight limit their trade a bit !

• Advertisement

More recently the was also talk of Whitbread buy up some hotel and introducing a Castro pub but I supose with the downturn around the world this probably wont happen

the deal fell through .......
    I doubt there was any deal. They would have looked at the cost of buying licences and property, and the hostile reception they could expect from the VFI, LVA and their servants in Leinster House, and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Even if they had opened here, they'd have been unlikely to offer the same variety of beers: the customs situation would have been painfully awkward, for a product with no proven demand in Ireland. One only has to compare the bottled beer selection in an Irish branch of M&S or Tesco to its UK counterpart to see that UK firms have next-to-no interest in trying to improve the selection of beers on the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I don't think there is a lack of demand in Ireland, I just think that people will go to the pub and just 'settle' for what's on tap.

I know when I'm home I'll go to the pub and have Guinness because there's nothing else I want available. Many pubs in the UK will have at least one 'guest ale' on tap, even if the rest of the beers are as bland as sparkling water. I don't see why the Irish market can't do the same! They might be surprised!

For the record, the Greene King brewery in Bury St Edmunds produce many good real ales and yet are often accused (usually by CAMRA) of killing the real ale industry because they own huge numbers of pubs and normally only sell their own beers.

Greene King also produce many ales that aren't 'Real ale' (CAMRA definition) but still taste good! While there are lots of real ales in the UK, the choice and breadth of variety is diminishing, nowhere near to the extent of Ireland but diminished nontheless.

Also, real ale in Ireland has taken off over the past 10 years but really needs better marketing if it is to capture the imagination of the people.

Wychwood (makers of Hobgoblin) ran a great campaign in UK National magazines with the tagline "What's the matter Lager boy? Afraid you might taste something?" Sales went through the roof! :)

The campaign wasn't liked by a lot of people but it worked! The BeerNut himself has said:
    BeerNut wrote:
    Well the sub-Tolkein imagery is part of the whole Wychwood brand. I have to say I quite like it as part of the general way English beer doesn't take itself too seriously, and I don't think it quite devolves into twattiness.

I also like their provocative slogan. For those of us who live in a world of pubs selling only tasteless beer, there frankly aren't enough of these sorts of challenges. Marketing beer on how it tastes is pretty much unheard of round these parts.

Besides which, they're not marketing all real ale, just their own cartoon brands.

Of course, Marstons now own Wychwood, so we'll see how Hobgoblin develops in the future...

Anyhoo, back on topic: There's loads of off-licenses in Ireland selling a good selection of decent ales, you just have to look a bit harder for them ;)

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I know when I'm home I'll go to the pub and have Guinness because there's nothing else I want available.
    And if you keep validating Diageo and its retailers in this way, there never will be.

Concerned drinkers need to boycott the pubs and breweries that don't sell the beers they want or things will never get better.

If you have to drink Guinness, ensure the barman knows you're doing it under protest and for fork's sake don't order a second pint.

Just been down the 'Porterhouse' on Bray seafront - NO Cask Ales at al . . . :(

Real Ales (choice of three) served in Temple Bar only.

Just been down the 'Porterhouse' on Bray seafront - NO Cask Ales at al . . . :(

Real Ales (choice of three) served in Temple Bar only.
    No cask ales and no clue about their range, by the sounds of things :rolleyes:

Unless there's been a sudden and drastic change of policy, only one cask ale -- TSB -- is served at any Irish Porterhouse branch, and they have it at Nassau Street as well as Glasnevin. (Red and Brainblásta, while tasty, are keg beer and therefore don't count as "real" under CAMRA rules.)

However, the management were telling me a while ago that they were on the verge of pulling TSB from Glasnevin because they went a whole week without selling a single pint of it. It hadn't happened the last time I was in, but they're not going to keep any beer on tap anywhere if no-one's drinking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

Im a guinness or beamish drinker here in Ireland, but when i lived in Alaska and canada i used to love ales, they had some of the best in the world, in alaska they had aslankan e.s.b it was fantastic also had others which i cant remember at the moment. In canada they have a lovely ale called Rickards red its available nationwide and that was all i drank over there. Now all i have to drink here is stout, and im getting sick of it, but as previous posters have said here just aint any real ales available here, i dont particalary like the english ales i have tried for some strange reason but ive onlt tried one or two of em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'd kill for a couple of pints of McArdles right now. I really miss it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

I'm lucky enough to live in the only place (I know) to sell Rusty outside Dublin (and alot of other real ale in bottles). Its the only real-ale style cask beer sold on tap that I find remotely reminiscent of real ale.

A good few of my friends who never tried real ale now say "I love bottled beers, I can't stand real ale on tap", by which they mean, they're tried Rusty & Galway Hooker, but then discovered HobGoblin, Hens Tooth etc etc and have come to the decision that clearly cask ale is not as good as bottled !! Oh what they're missing !!!!

I'm disappointed that JD Wetherspoons have not yet set up shop here. I think Diageo / the drinks / vintners industry have, and will for as long as they can, oppose the wholesale introduction of UK ale culture here, for a miriad of reasons, particularly, the steady decline of the Guinness brand among young people (look at all the brews they tried recently, how many do you see now ?), they have nothing to offer to progress the brand so choose to close down the market over permitting diversity (my opinion anyway).

so, til more enterprising publicans switch to selling good ale, or JD's change their minds, I pray that Ryanair do not stop the cheaper flights to the UK too soon .....:o

BTW, each to their taste, but if you see them, give Brakspears ales a try in bottles (Triple is my favourite), don't drink them 'too' cold and you'll get a near cask ale flavour from a bottle....

FBP

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »
    I'd kill for a couple of pints of McArdles right now. I really miss it. :(

But that is not real ale?

Advertisement