Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

bird-man wrote: »
    I currently have a digital cable stb with a ntl card. So my query was whether I could now plug digital cable directly to the TV if there is a CAM slot for the NTL card. I've no idea what kind of compression (MPEG?) that NTL use for digital tv over cable. Perhaps it is proprietary coding and therefore I will always need their digital stb.

No. The tuner would have to have the requisite frequency band anyhow which the panasonic doesnt have. Thats because it is trying to achieve something else at the other end of the scale ie built for free tv. CAm slots would open it up to add ons after.

NTL/Chorus use Nagravision as their encyption system. Pace boxes afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bird-man

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 904473

I bought a Philips PFL9803 and it picks up the digital signals from RTE Networks perfectly. Great quality television, but a little on the expensive side. if you buy one of these, do so in the UK. You'll get a better price by far. I am based in the balbriggan area. Signal from Three Rock.

Does anybody know what DVB-T MPEG4 boxes are available at the moment? The only one I sourced was from Peats and it was over €300. You could buy a TV for that price.

Given the retail industry are as slow as a 3 miler in a 5 furlong dash, I advise you to get on to ebay.fr. You are looking for TNT TERRESTRE HD.

Lots of new and second hand on the site. Dont pay more than €100. Typically you will get Sigmatek DBH500, Sagem ITD 81 TNT HD or a Philips new for that. Or you might get a steal second hand for half that.

Presumably the receiver is for a second room ? If you are new to this, you might want to look at Combo boxes that do both Sat and DTT which allow you also to record and is not much more expensive than buying a DTT only receiver. Its discussed in several threads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 904473

Thanks STB. That's a great help.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

A quick question as my head has melted reading the mpeg2/mpeg4 TV thread. I'm buying a new TV for the auld man who is retired and like's paying for nothing (aka sky) I had hoped to get a nice Sony (32KDL-v4500) but was more interested in getting the Humax Foxsat HD PVR. Now the sony has an mpeg4 tuner and the PVR has mpeg2 and 4. He lives in Meath so not sure what analogue (ie UHF/VHF) he picks up. Anyway because we are going to get the PVR there is no need for an integrated tuner(such as the panasonic '81 freesat range). Does anybody think the sony foxsat is a good combination or should I look for a 'Full HD' TV to go with the foxsat

on a side note the Panasonic shop in Limerick said that Panasonic Ireland could not supply the '81 freesat models as there are copyright issues in using freesat in the South...bah humbug...but they could still source one if I wanted :)

a clanger wrote: »
    on a side note the Panasonic shop in Limerick said that Panasonic Ireland could not supply the '81 freesat models as there are copyright issues in using freesat in the South...bah humbug...but they could still source one if I wanted :)

And they will charge you over a €1000 as well (eventhough they are a "panasonic" Shop! 3 days to get one delivered from UK to your door. €850! Freesat HD (with menu etc) and DTT, one remote control, 37". You do not need analogue !

I ordered 2 a few weeks back. They work fine. Heres the link >>>

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58977399&postcount=145

One thing you must remember, you wont be able to record RTE with the Foxsat PVR!

or you could scale down to the smaller one 32" and get the PVR anyhow..... work out at about just over a grand in skelleros including delivery.

Panasonic TX-32LZD81 FreeSAT Full HD LCD £599

Humax FoxSAT-HDR HD FreeSat+ PVR £289

decisions decisions......

Thanks for the swift reply...you were right Panasonic quoted €1050 for the 32" :eek: which is the size required. I see pixmania are now doing it delivered for sub €638 inc delivery which is not to shabby....

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1780567/art/panasonic/tx-32lxd81fv-lcd-televisi.html

However If I get the Foxsat I will not require the integrated Freesat tuner and could get the cheaper Sony which has a mpeg 4 tuner but is only "HD ready" which is €575....

If the difference is only €50 yo-yo's Which would You choose ..

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/r/32-kdl-v4500

Decisions

Decisions

Is it worth calling Richer Sounds to see if they will Price match ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Thanks for the swift reply...you were right Panasonic quoted €1050 for the 32" :eek: which is the size required. I see pixmania are now doing it delivered for sub €638 inc delivery which is not to shabby....

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1780567/art/panasonic/tx-32lxd81fv-lcd-televisi.html

However If I get the Foxsat I will not require the integrated Freesat tuner and could get the cheaper Sony which has a mpeg 4 tuner but is only "HD ready" which is €575....

If the difference is only €50 yo-yo's Which would You choose ..

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/r/32-kdl-v4500

Decisions

Decisions

Is it worth calling Richer Sounds to see if they will Price match ??

Watch Out. that pixmania model is not what you're looking for. Thats the 32LXD81. First of all, its only HD ready, not full HD. Look at the specs, only 1366 x 768 resolution. Panasonic's 1080p models have a Z instead of an X in their model numbers

Secondly, that a european model. Look closely at that page, and notice that theres no mention of freesat, whatsoever. It looks like it does have an mpeg4 tuner for Irish DTT alright but no form of satellite tuner.

Its downright dishonest for pixmania to be selling European "81 series panasonic models on their Irish site. Less informed people would assume these were the same as the Uk spec '81 models but they are much inferior without the freesat tuner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Its downright dishonest for pixmania to be selling European "81 series panasonic models on their Irish site. Less informed people would assume these were the same as the Uk spec '81 models but they are much inferior without the freesat tuner

How is it dishonest? We are in Europe and the Freesat version of that tv is for the UK market only.

• Advertisement

It really depends if its intentional or not. Look at this page. That 42pz81E is second there in terms of popularity. Its not a particularly brilliant price or anything so i'm wondering are people buyin that because they think its freesat compatible or do they know thats its not and simply buyin it because its DTT compatible?

Less informed people would assume these were the same as the Uk spec '81 models but they are much inferior without the freesat tuner:o

LOL you mean me ...didn't bother to check the spec's correctly ...thanks for that.....

I think the Sony is ahead on cost price alone ...I'll try sell "Antiques Roadshow" and "Strictly come dancing" in Full HD to the old man and see what happens:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭ei9go

Got a Sagem ITD81 HD from EBAY Seller: orditelesat.

Works great but note that this model does not have Teletext or EPG.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    It really depends if its intentional or not. Look at this page. That 42pz81E is second there in terms of popularity. Its not a particularly brilliant price or anything so i'm wondering are people buyin that because they think its freesat compatible or do they know thats its not and simply buyin it because its DTT compatible?

People buy them because Panasonic do not state that spec differs by country. Do not buy any of the pz81 or LZD range that have a letter at the end other than "B" if you are looking for the FreesatHD /DVB-T combination. STG 899 for the right 42" plasma model with freesat/dtt by the way on this site.

http://www.leconcepts.com/products/freesat/panasonic-th-42pz81b-freesat-plasma-hdtv.html

The panasonic 37 32 and plasma range also have MHEG5 middleware for freesat. Guess what this also works lovely with the MHEG5 designed Text for DTT!

The range ending in "F" will pick up DTT but the Freesat tuner is removed as they are for the French Market.

STB wrote: »

The range ending in "F" will pick up DTT but the Freesat tuner is removed as they are for the French Market.

Thought so.

I do hope no-one has bought one of the '81 sets off pixmania expecting it to have a freesat tuner. Almost cerrtainly someone has, though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭ei9go

http://tv-video.fnac.com/a2499981/Accessoire-image-et-son-Adaptateur-TNT-Netgem-Le-Pack-TV?Mn=-1&Mu=-13&Ra=-5000&To=0&Nu=1&Fr=0#ficheDt

If your French is not too good, copy the link and paste into google translate.

Any one using one of these in Ireland?

Just for info the 32" Panasonic TX-32LZD81 is becoming difficult to source. Richer sounds in Belfast said they could no longer get them (though competitors might) and RicherSounds in Birmingham said there were only two left in all there UK stores. I know some sites have them for sale but usually there is no stock or the want a silly price. Has anyone sourced one over the last few weeks. I'm aware a new range appears in April but can't find specs yet

There is no problem getting the Panasonic's in UK. The shipping costs are €69 max. I know I shipped 2 over as I had been given the runaround by Richer Sounds...... be in this day, next week etc.

So you will get them from LEConcepts or directTVs - link is earlier in this thread. 3 days delivery time! Just check they are in stock beforehand....

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Just for info the 32" Panasonic TX-32LZD81 is becoming difficult to source. Richer sounds in Belfast said they could no longer get them (though competitors might) and RicherSounds in Birmingham said there were only two left in all there UK stores. I know some sites have them for sale but usually there is no stock or the want a silly price. Has anyone sourced one over the last few weeks. I'm aware a new range appears in April but can't find specs yet

Just be aware guyz that these sets will NOT work on most VHF cable systems as they only have U.K. type UHF tuners.
    Also most UK suppliers will try to sell you a extra insurance cover but DO check that it covers breakdown in Ireland as most do not.:)

You do not need the VHF tuner anyhow. People who buy a Freesat/DTT Combo are trying to avoid cable/pay TV, I would imagine!

DTT is on UHF. Cant recommend this range enough. MHEG5 an all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

You do not need the VHF tuner anyhow. People who buy a Freesat/DTT Combo are trying to avoid cable/pay TV, I would imagine!

Thanks STB I bought the 46 inch plasma with freesat (46pz81 or something) partly from the advice on this site. BBC/ITV HD are great and Luxe is spectacular. This evening I picked up a DTT signal with all 4 TV etc with epg. Digital text worked aswell.

Thanks Again

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What about people who want Freesat, but need analogue terrestrial (due to only a select few Tx's having DTT presently) for their Irish channels? On some transmitters (including Truskmore that covers my area), they persist on using VHF for RTE1 and 2.

Personally, though, if I wanted Freesat, I'd prefer a seperate PVR STB, but different strokes... etc

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

Is there an STB I can purchase from Europe for the Irish DTT, apparently Cairn Hill has started DTT on channel 41 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Galway wrote: »
    Is there an STB I can purchase from Europe for the Irish DTT, apparently Cairn Hill has started DTT on channel 41 today.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2024987/art/sigmatek/dvb-500-hd-freeview-recei.html

Eur113 including delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

What about the Mvision 200 HD combo? I have satellite also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

Combo boxes allow you to combine your channel list from satellite and terrestrial. If you already have Sky then you can plug the Sky feed (or a second feed from a quad LNB) in the back of the combo box along with your terrestrial feed. You will only get now and next EPG info for satellite though. Some combo boxes like the MVision also allow you to record to an external USB drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Galway wrote: »
    What about the Mvision 200 HD combo? I have satellite also.

Best combo so far I have seen is the Technomate 6900 and it receives the current test from Irish DTT as well as UK DTT from N.I. and Wales.

You also get the few HD sat channels that are FTA at the moment plus the possibility of others with the correct cam and card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robbie red

Asked this on another thread but it might be better in her:

Would a BT Vision box work for this? I'm in Northern Ireland. I have a BT box in the house and would hook it up again if I knew for sure I'd get the full video and audio broadcasts.

So far I can get audio but no video from my tv tuner and also my Humax pvr (both are MPEG2 only).

On looking at the specs for the BT Vision box it says:

VIDEO DECODING
    Microsoft Windows Media VC1
    MPEG4 pt10 (H.264) in MPEG TS
    MPEG1 Video
    MPEG-2 DVB compliant up to MP@ML
    Video Formats
    PAL (interlaced)

PS.. BT Vision is UK Freeview with VOD carried by BT Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

robbie red wrote: »
    Would a BT Vision box work for this? I'm in Northern Ireland. I have a BT box in the house and would hook it up again if I knew for sure I'd get the full video and audio broadcasts.

Yes. It should work. See answer on the other thread where you posted the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

904473 wrote: »
    I bought a Philips PFL9803 and it picks up the digital signals from RTE Networks perfectly. Great quality television, but a little on the expensive side. if you buy one of these, do so in the UK. You'll get a better price by far. I am based in the balbriggan area. Signal from Three Rock.

Does anybody know what DVB-T MPEG4 boxes are available at the moment? The only one I sourced was from Peats and it was over €300. You could buy a TV for that price.

I have this tv also but cannot get it working ...

Do you need to connect an aerial to the set to get it working ... ?

Have done several scans with country set to Ireland and UK but no joy.

The tv is definitely the H model also ..

Based in Dublin 15 also

Advertisement