Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creative writing group

Options
  • 15-11-2008 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Anyone know of a creative writing group not too far from Rathmines, Ranelagh, Rathgar areas where you can read and listen to writing and get critical feedback on them. Mikecb.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Hi Mike,
    I'm not sure about the area you are talking about. But I have an email address for some workshops if you want to PM me...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mikecb

Hi Studiorat,
    thanks for the info but it's more a writers group and not a workshop that I'm looking for.
    Mikecb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 derryc

hi mike, also looking for writing group, specifically i would like to meet others writing, or attemting to write a novel..city centre probably the best venue. I am currently northside but happy to travel....d

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Give the Irish Writers Centre on Parnell St a ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 derryc

Thanks S...They run groups with a teacher and fee...Im interested in group without same...d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Ruthie-Roux

Im also looking for a writers group, sort of a writing circle where we could read our own works and give each other feedback maybe over a wine or coffee.(not to be confused with a course or workshop)
    I write mostly poetry but am also at the beginning stages of writing a novel.

If anyone hears of one give me a shout,

Ruth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 L.M.

Hi

I am new to Boards.ie. I set up an account specifically to try and find a poetry writers group. I am a relative beginner and I have built up a small enough body of work (10/12 poems).
    If anyone is interested in forming a group let me know.

I live near Baggot st bridge at present but I am originally from Rathmines so it is no trouble for me to get there or anywhere in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 carrie848

Local libraries usually run some...it would be worth your while looking around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

Hi Im looking for the same as some of the above posters. Are there any casual writing groups? They just meet for a casual meeting with writings and theres no set rules as to classes etc, i would love to find a group that i could join. Anyone found any??? im in north dublin too but will travel too. :)

Actually guys, how do people feel about starting one since there are a few of us interested??? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'd be interested.

I used to be involved with the creative writing society in UCD years ago and really liked the format of the meetings - mainly exercises (very short) with a host for each meeting, where we all wrote for the exercises and then whoever wanted to read their raw stuff did. There was also the option for critique of work written outside the meeting after the exercises. I found the whole "workshop" thing so beneficial, and I haven't really written anything since because I miss the inspiration.

It was fun because a different person hosted each week, so there were different themes, and it was quite informal - it was social as much as creative.

Would that kind of format suit anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Fabulosa

Blush_01 wrote: »
    I'd be interested.

I used to be involved with the creative writing society in UCD years ago and really liked the format of the meetings - mainly exercises (very short) with a host for each meeting, where we all wrote for the exercises and then whoever wanted to read their raw stuff did. There was also the option for critique of work written outside the meeting after the exercises. I found the whole "workshop" thing so beneficial, and I haven't really written anything since because I miss the inspiration.

It was fun because a different person hosted each week, so there were different themes, and it was quite informal - it was social as much as creative.

Would that kind of format suit anyone?

That sounds great. Would also be interested in joining the folks here. Do we have an organiser in our midst? :)

Great stuff guys, lets get organising it so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

I'm also interested, if we're talkin' about starting up a new group! Depending on where/when however. :)

How should we go about this? :P

Right, how about everyone PMs me their location and I'll see if we can organise something that fits in in between, geographically speaking? Also, if there's a particular evening that suits you best, or an evening you can't do under any circumstances, please let me know. I'll get a spreadsheet together. :D

When we have a rough idea of what suits people and when we can post the details here and any wanderers can come along too.

We'd probably be best finding a corner in a quiet pub somewhere so we can get a bit rowdy without disturbing housemates etc. - I know mine wouldn't be impressed if we were to congregate at mine. It means there's no pressure on the host, and everyone is on an equal footing.

I'll do the first workshop too, if that's ok by people, unless there's anyone else who'd like to be the first host.

Edit: I'm quite excited about this now, it'll be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

PM'd :)

Double PM'd. :D

triple pmd! :)

Ok, there are currently approximately 6 of us, and it looks like the city centre will be the most appropriate place according to where everyone is based (some south-, north- and west-siders interested).

I'll wait until January 8th for any other interested people to PM me - that's really only a week - and then I'll PM everyone on the 9th with a view to starting on the week of the 11th, if that suits.

Brilliant. Thats Blush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭shivvyban

You could send a PM to Pollythene Pam - he set one up and it has regular meetings - as far as I know they still meet in Anseo on Camden Street. :)

hey guys, cant wait til we meet!

I was thinking we could easily meet in foyer of the gresham or some central hotel. Im really looking forward to it.

By the way, are we going to be doing a theme where we all write a piece or a poem and share it each week or are we just going to share and discuss bits and pieces of our own work with no particular focus as such.

i was thinking it might be nice to have a theme, that way we can all write a bit and also see the difference between each of our styles. just a thought anyway!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Gresham would be great for me.

Could I suggest that we don't do poems? My experience with poets is that they don't really want criticism or feedback, just an audience. Anytime I have ever tried to offer feedback to a poet, I've been slapped down, and told I was obviously an idiot for not understanding it.

oh really? But i thought it was just general creative writing which can be a mixture of short stories, poetry, etc. Hmm, I wouldnt like to rule it out if im honest and sure its not a case of criticising each others work.

Either way, i would like to keep the option there for poetry. just my opinion! :)

I feel that the point of a writing group is to provide feedback and criticism. If you are happy with what you've written and don't want to take it any further, you can just write for yourself, and maybe publish on a blog. If you are hoping to publish, you need constructive review from a good group. I don't know anyone who gets it right first go and can do without some help.

I have nothing against poetry, but I've never met a poet who ever said "Tell me how to improve this poem".

I see your point however is the point of this group also to share each others work and styles? I was quite happy that its an amateur group and that its being organised arround a social setting and not a class as such. Don't get me wrong constructive criticism is great but if we are writing just because its a hobby and not looking for any particular direction with certain pieces of work is this group not open for that reason also, no? Just wondering. :)

Well, it seems to me that the point of a group is to provide help to each other and what most writers need is feedback. If you just want a social group, why does it have to be writers?

For me, getting out to a writing group is an effort, I have to make arrangements for my family, so I want to do more than just have a drink and a chat.

If you are happy with what you write, then you don't have to submit or read anything, but you can still give feedback to other writers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Iamsparticus

Hi, just saw this thread. I'd be interested in joining the writing group, could you let me know the details if it's going ahead. cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭steve_oh

I'm near the city centre and would also be interested. What kinda stuff do you guys do when you meet?

• Advertisement

Ok everyone, still waiting for some people to come back to me, but I'm getting frustrated with waiting - I have no patience - and I'm worried this will fizzle out if we don't start making some definite decisions.

Personally, I'm hoping we go with Monday nights, because Thursday - Sunday is almost totally out for me, and two other people can't make Tuesday and Wednesday. One person might not be able to join us until April and another thinks he might not be able to come at all as the weekends are his only free time, so it's really important that we get feedback soon on what will work for people while this thing still has momentum.

The foyer of the Gresham is a fantastic suggestion for a meeting place (it was one of the places I was thinking of myself, it's quiet enough for us to get a big group together, with enough atmosphere to avoid us taking it over) and it's in the right location, plonk in the centre of town.

I also think that a 7pm start time would be great.

I was thinking that a combination of exercises and critique might be nice - I haven't written anything in an awfully long time, so if it was just critique I wouldn't have anything to contribute other than critique, which isn't exactly fair, we should all be on an equal footing. As I said before, I don't mind "hosting" the first meeting, and we can discuss how we want to go with regard to format from there, if that suits everyone else.

I can see what you're saying with regard to poetry critique Eileen, but I really think we could have a great mix of things coming our way if we have a bit of everything included, and we can discuss parameters for meetings after that, once we can see what we're dealing with and where everyone's interests lie.

So, guys and dolls, where do we stand?

Advertisement