Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lorna Byrne - False Prophet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

That's if it is a false testimony - who can say ? From what I've heard in her interviews and have read about her subsequently, I don't think Lorna Byrne advocates the worship of angels, or is claiming to be a prophet. We have been told angels exist in the Bible. If they appeared to certain people thousands of years ago then why not in 2010 ? Far from being a threat to Christianity, if true, these accounts can help a non believer to take more seriously the claims made by Christianity. Clearly if Lorna Byrne's claims are true, then this for Christians should fit in neatly with their faith of another plane of existence, to which we are all bound.
    Well, according to one of her supporters here, Lorna 'also does not quote Jesus because Jesus belongs to Cathloics etc.... Lorna speaks about all religions looking towards the same god.' That makes her a false teacher/prophet. Islam, Hinduism, etc. do not look to God. Theirs is another God, another Christ.

1 Corinthians 10:19 What am I saying then? That an idol is anything, or what is offered to idols is anything? 20 Rather, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice they sacrifice to demons and not to God, and I do not want you to have fellowship with demons. 21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the Lord’s table and of the table of demons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

wolfsbane wrote: »
    Well, according to one of her supporters here, Lorna 'also does not quote Jesus because Jesus belongs to Cathloics etc.... Lorna speaks about all religions looking towards the same god.' That makes her a false teacher/prophet. Islam, Hinduism, etc. do not look to God. Theirs is another God, another Christ.

1 Corinthians 10:19 What am I saying then? That an idol is anything, or what is offered to idols is anything? 20 Rather, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice they sacrifice to demons and not to God, and I do not want you to have fellowship with demons. 21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the Lord’s table and of the table of demons.

In Lorna Byrne's second book 'Stairways to Heaven' there is a chapter 'Answering People's Questions' which is best read in it's entirety. The criticism about not quoting Jesus is explained, adequately IMO. Having read both her books, I am of the opinion she holds sincere Christian beliefs.

Simply, I would suggest those who are interested, obtain a copy and read it, and form their own opinion. Nothing is closed to an open mind!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 plainone

Colossians 2

18Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind, 19and not holding fast to the Head, from whom the whole body, nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, grows with a growth that is from God.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nualahyland

Please use user friendly english as your reply on the board does not make a lot of sense!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 plainone

Please use user friendly english as your reply on the board does not make a lot of sense!!

It's a biblical quote from the New KJV Bible.If someone doesn't understand it, they can easily look Col 2:18-19 up in their bible version or on the website biblegateway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 HermitTalker

Angels are in today with the New Age crowd. I heard of Lorna for the first time last night from a family member who flew in from France for two days to chat with Lorna, and then visit family in Dublin. I asked if Lorna has a spiritual director, is approved by the archbishop - she did not know. I read on here she never mentions Jesus or sin or redemption. That makes hea not a Catholic mystic and therefore not one whose books I will read. So sad people are so easily duped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Angels are in today with the New Age crowd. I heard of Lorna for the first time last night from a family member who flew in from France for two days to chat with Lorna, and then visit family in Dublin. I asked if Lorna has a spiritual director, is approved by the archbishop - she did not know. I read on here she never mentions Jesus or sin or redemption. That makes hea not a Catholic mystic and therefore not one whose books I will read. So sad people are so easily duped.

I heard her say on TV3 ''I dont go to mass every Sunday but when I do I throughly enjoy it'' lol.

All authentic seers such as the ones of Fatima, Garabandal and Medjugorje promote the Mass. What she said was so secular it's a joke.

The whole angels in my hair book is a joke as well and the public are well taken in and fooled by it. You know these new age books when you see them in the ''best seller'' section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭himnextdoor

So, from Lorna's story about the Iraqi family, the son believes that Allah caused the wife to drop food to save the stricken father who is the victim of a bomb that either Allah could do nothing about, or that was guided by the God of the Christians.

Seems kind of ironic. God works in mysterious ways.

Lorna Byrne will appeal to feeble-minded people who are prepared to pin their hopes of a better future on a non-temporal horse running in a non-temporal race.

But on the subject of the need for a prophet to reflect an established faith; it is out of keeping the history of prophets: Jesus hardly represented the Jewish faith of his time and Muhammad invented a new religion too; are they to be labelled as false prophets in the same way that Ms Byrne has been and for the same reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Lorna on TV3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kJLVU3_V8Q

Lorna: "Both of you have guardian angels, I saw them, they were beautiful, but I can't tell you what they looked like". :confused:

If you see something beautiful, you will have a good idea what it looks like, no?

Can these 'angels' tell the future? How come, those who claim they can see angels, never predict the future where it could be proven? They're always 'wishy washy', "You have an aura/ angel", "god says not to worry", "god is good", "god is coming back" etc. . .

Lorna will make a fortune peddling this stuff. She's as mad as a bottle of crisps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Lorna Byrne will be on the TV this morning!

"The Big Questions" BBC1 - Talking about Angels 10:40am approx.

• Advertisement

I'm just wondering; since we all have an angel in attendance, should we really be concerned about the small band of angels that will wipe out a third of mankind.

I mean, if our angels will fight for us then the army from Revelations is going to be vastly outnumbered by our angels aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm a bit puzzled here. This woman says she has messages from angels, but the Christians on here are inclined to dismiss her claims because she does not mention Jesus. Are you not a bit concerned that maybe she has it right, and that your particular religious belief is irrelevant in the wider scheme of things?

Any of your bibles will tell you that angels were around long before Christianity or any of the sects/churches were around. All of the churches and religions were man made - for example, accepting that Jesus was the son of God, Christianity as a belief system would not exist if men had not picked up on it and made it so. So why should the petty doings of men have any relevance for God and the angels?

You have no idea what you might be missing out on, maybe this is the message you have been waiting for?

(yes, I know there is a circular argument in the middle of that, but it isn't possible to discuss religion without circular arguments)

looksee wrote: »
    I'm a bit puzzled here. This woman says she has messages from angels, but the Christians on here are inclined to dismiss her claims because she does not mention Jesus. Are you not a bit concerned that maybe she has it right, and that your particular religious belief is irrelevant in the wider scheme of things?

Any of your bibles will tell you that angels were around long before Christianity or any of the sects/churches were around. All of the churches and religions were man made - for example, accepting that Jesus was the son of God, Christianity as a belief system would not exist if men had not picked up on it and made it so. So why should the petty doings of men have any relevance for God and the angels?

You have no idea what you might be missing out on, maybe this is the message you have been waiting for?

(yes, I know there is a circular argument in the middle of that, but it isn't possible to discuss religion without circular arguments)

Yes. I made a similar point. It would appear that prophets going against the prevailing mainstream religion is not a unique thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

There is nothing in the Bible to suggest that Christians have or need "guardian angels". Christians have direct access to God, through the death of his son.

The rest of your comments, from a Christian perspective, are nonsensical

homer911 wrote: »
    There is nothing in the Bible to suggest that Christians have or need "guardian angels". Christians have direct access to God, through the death of his son.

But a newer improved testament may well do so.

Anyway, isn't God with us all; what if Lorna can 'see' that manifestion of God and He appears as an angel with many names?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

Douay-Rheims Bible
    See that you despise not one of these little ones: for I say to you, that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father who is in heaven. (Matt: 18:10)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

looksee wrote: »

If you believe Lorna, than by all means feel free -

The hint is in the name 'Christianity' - All religions are not the same to Christians, and this is the Christian forum. A person who doesn't like to mention Jesus is not a Christian.

Sigh.

Again, perhaps look at the beliefs of Christians, specifically who we believe Christ to be (God) - maybe a peek at the Creed etc.

It's why we aren't New age spiritualists or indeed Hindus or Islamics or for that matter Atheists - but by all means you are a free agent to believe one, any, or all of the above through your reason, and for your man made reasons you rationalise.

Well it does seem to be driving you a little around the bend, but it's not that difficult to understand surely? Christians believe in Christ - The great commission was to go out and baptise all nations in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit - NOT to say, 'O shees, I really don't like to mention Jesus'' So I guess, that's the difference, a rather big one.

Douay-Rheims Bible
    See that you despise not one of these little ones: for I say to you, that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father who is in heaven. (Matt: 18:10)

So on the basis of one vague line of scripture (How many? What do they do? One for one?) you would base an entire new age sect as being biblical and make angels the exclusive focus of this sect?

Anyway, isn't God with us all; what if Lorna can 'see' that manifestion of God and He appears as an angel with many names?

and what if these are satan's followers sent in disguise to mislead people? - its been mentioned here before that this woman never mentions Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

So on the basis of one vague line of scripture (How many? What do they do? One for one?) you would base an entire new age sect as being biblical and make angels the exclusive focus of this sect?

I'm merely pointing out that we have guardian angels, The CC always taught that we have one.

Psalm91: 10-12
    No evil will befall you,
    Nor will any plague come near your tent.

For He will give His angels charge concerning you,
    To guard you in all your ways.

They will bear you up in their hands,
    That you do not strike your foot against a stone.

FWIW I believe this woman to be a fraud!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

I don'y think the woman is at all well.

and what if these are satan's followers sent in disguise to mislead people? - its been mentioned here before that this woman never mentions Jesus.

If Satan was working through Lorna Byrne then don't you think he would be devious enough to make sure that Lorna made enough references to Jesus to throw astute Christians like yourself off the trail, so to speak?

Wasn't Lucifer the most wise, the most beautiful, the most powerful angel created by God? How stupid do you honestly expect him to be?

If Satan was working through Lorna Byrne then don't you think he would be devious enough to make sure that Lorna made enough references to Jesus to throw astute Christians like yourself off the trail, so to speak?

Wasn't Lucifer the most wise, the most beautiful, the most powerful angel created by God? How stupid do you honestly expect him to be?

But he has and does (not in this situation however). He also doesnt waste his efforts and varies his battle plans constantly

But he has and does (not in this situation however). He also doesnt waste his efforts and varies his battle plans constantly

Satan doesn't waste his efforts? Then what would you call his choice of Lorna Byrne? Wise?

Or perhaps it is the case that only simple minds can be influenced by Satan. That's why he can't corrupt the Pope or his acolytes. It's a good job that Einstein and Oppenheimer were able to resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Whatever the story is with Lorna Byrne himnextdoor, I wouldn't say that a bestselling author is necessarily a 'simple mind'?

Quite simply if she doesn't mention the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, or claims to have new revelations from God, than any Christian, which means Christ follower, worth their salt is entitled to be wary, and they don't have to be either Einstein, The Pope, himnextdoor or lmaoplm to do so....

Are you a follower or a fan himnextdoor, do you like her books?

lmaopml wrote: »
    Whatever the story is with Lorna Byrne himnextdoor, I wouldn't say that a bestselling author is necessarily a 'simple mind'?

Quite simply if she doesn't mention the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, or claims to have new revelations from God, than any Christian, which means Christ follower, worth their salt is entitled to be wary, and they don't have to be either Einstein, The Pope, himnextdoor or lmaoplm to do so....

Are you a follower or a fan himnextdoor, do you like her books?

LOL. No! I think that she is a crank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 zeleny

PDN wrote: »
    And since different religions teach totally contradictory things about God, that in itself is reason enough for me to reject Lorna's teachings.

There was an elephant, and a few of blind people were asked to touch it and describe it. So, the first blind man touched the elephant carefully, cleared his throat, and pronounced: "This creature is as hard as a rock, incredibly spiky and sharp!"
    Second blind man spoke like this: "I touched it carefully, but this is not the truth! Contrary, this creature is similar to pancake - soft, thin and flat!"
    The third one: "Sorry, but it is like a strong and massive pillar.."

I came here to try to see if Lorna Birn is a liar.. As far, I don't see any (not-spiritual) evidence of this.. I am interested in her, not in spiritual explanations from Bible or other holly books according to which she must be a liar. (If she's not a liar, it's obvious from her book that she's not a lunatic.)

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Webdigit

zeleny wrote: »
    There was an elephant, and a few of blind people were asked to touch it and describe it. So, the first blind man touched the elephant carefully, cleared his throat, and pronounced: "This creature is as hard as a rock, incredibly spiky and sharp!"
    Second blind man spoke like this: "I touched it carefully, but this is not the truth! Contrary, this creature is similar to pancake - soft, thin and flat!"
    The third one: "Sorry, but it is like a strong and massive pillar.."

I came here to try to see if Lorna Birn is a liar.. As far, I don't see any (not-spiritual) evidence of this.. I am interested in her, not in spiritual explanations from Bible or other holly books according to which she must be a liar. (If she's not a liar, it's obvious from her book that she's not a lunatic.)

Indeed, the blind may lead the blind. Some of them feeling giraffes and donkeys and claiming them to be elephants.

The blind should study the complete words of Christ for themselves.

You won't find the Lorna's of this world ever recommending the complete words and teachings of Christ in the four Gospels. There's no money or book deals in that.

There is only one true God.

Thankfully for those Christians who study and believe the words of Christ, it enables the blind to see :

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me" - John 14:6

“Watch out for false prophets who come to you in sheeps' clothing but inwardly they are ferocious wolves." - Matt 7:15

Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots. Leave them; they are blind guides. If the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.” Matt 15:13-14

"To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given, and they will have an abundance of knowledge. But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken away from them. That is why I use these parables,

For they look, but they don’t really see.
    They hear, but they don’t really listen or understand.

This fulfills the prophecy of Isaiah that says,

‘When you hear what I say,
    you will not understand.
    When you see what I do,
    you will not comprehend.
    For the hearts of these people are hardened,
    and their ears cannot hear,
    and they have closed their eyes—
    so their eyes cannot see,
    and their ears cannot hear,
    and their hearts cannot understand,
    and they cannot turn to me
    and let me heal them.’

But blessed are your eyes, because they see; and your ears, because they hear" Matt 13:10-16

• Registered Users Posts: 3 protestant

I was googleing about Lorna Byrne and found this forum. It was interesting to read your posts. I am protestant, born again spirit filled apostolic christian with BA in theology. One of my interests is NDEs and spiritual realm, visitations to heaven and hell etc. I have read thru all Lorna Byrne books in my mother language. And for me she looks like sincere in God who due lack of her health had chosed by God to do this work. She is vessel of God and not false. Our Lord have different assignments for His people and usually He do not chose wise people but those ones who are rejected by wise people as apostle Paul says in 1.Cor 1.
    I have just finished Christoph Wrembrek book on heaven and hell where he as catholic says that there is no hell and I agree with that this might made dogma in history what really do not exist. Lorna Byrnes books had been very encouraging to me as person who believes angels as Messengers of God based upon Heb 1:14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

protestant wrote: »
    I was googleing about Lorna Byrne..........
    Hello, since you've read her books, does she mention Jesus at all?

If so, what does she have to say about Him?

Advertisement