Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterling falls to new low against the Euro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Good lord, €1 was worth only 79p about a week or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the latest tourist rate is that the pound is worth 1.108 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

getz wrote: »
    the latest tourist rate is that the pound is worth 1.108 euro

Thats the GBP sell rate. The inverse would be quite different

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Not at all. Your looking at the valuation of IEP at a particualr point in time yet looking at GBP at it's current valuation.

If we were still operating the IEP it would be long since worth a lost less than it's static value.

Like it or loath it joining the EUR has saved our currency. We'd be fecked now if we still operated the IEP.

we all know that, you just had to spoil the fun, party pooper!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Gerbud

My buddy from a well known Irish bank got me €600 worth of sterling today:

€600 = £515 (no comission included & at staff rate)

Not bad a! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

1 years graph against sterling, But this could change now seeing that Germany is now in recession.

1y?eurgbp=x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Namesco wrote: »
    1 years graph against sterling, But this could change now seeing that Germany is now in recession.

I'm not so sure. Germany are only in recession because everywhere is, as no-one buying their stuff.
    Read somewhere that the UK has a huge dependency on services(financial ones especially) and along with their housing bubble and sky high private sector debt, it just might get more worse there than the eurozone hence a decline in sterling values.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

gurramok wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. Germany are only in recession because everywhere is, as no-one buying their stuff.
    Read somewhere that the UK has a huge dependency on services(financial ones especially) and along with their housing bubble and sky high private sector debt, it just might get more worse there than the eurozone hence a decline in sterling values.
    If your not so sure why don't you sell GBP against the EUR?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Spipov

anybody know the paypal exchange rate at the moment?ebay should go down well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Bluetonic wrote: »
    If your not so sure why don't you sell GBP against the EUR?
    Don't have any to sell:)

BBC article here explains why its falling http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7727399.stm
    The UK is expected to have the worst recession of all the G7 rich nations and this means investors think UK assets will perform poorly.

"But the perception is that we have over-borrowed more than other countries, so the payback will be greater."

Falling interest rates put further pressure on sterling.
    Spipov wrote: »
    anybody know the paypal exchange rate at the moment?ebay should go down well :)
    I just checked my paypal account, can't find buyers charges. But i did buy stuff from the UK last week and paypal charged about 2p off that exchange rate then.(Exchange rate 81p, charged at 79p)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Bit off topic here, but does anyone know if I take sterling prices from a website (for e.g. asos or play) will my credit card be charged with the websites price or the proper exchange rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭pcolan

wixfjord wrote: »
    Bit off topic here, but does anyone know if I take sterling prices from a website (for e.g. asos or play) will my credit card be charged with the websites price or the proper exchange rate?

Don't know about asos, but with play your credit card will be charged with their euro price, not the actual exchange rate :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Play won't let you pay in sterling unless the delivery address is in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

but a UK etailer just credited £50 back to my credit card today.... I automatically lose on conversion rates.

If it's for a recredit back for something that was charged on the same Credit Card, ring them and explain what happened.
    They "should" convert it back at the same rate, if they don't kick up a fuss.
    It happened twice to me and I complained both times and they reversed it at the original rate (obviosuly if it was the other way i would have told them ;))
    but does anyone know if I take sterling prices from a website (for e.g. asos or play) will my credit card be charged with the websites price or the proper exchange rate?

Depends on how you decided to pay.
    If you clicked on Sterling, then you will be charged at the banks (credit card) exchange rate, if you clicked on Euro's, then it will be at the retailers exchange rate which in most cases will be worse then the credit card.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Depends on how you decided to pay.
    If you clicked on Sterling, then you will be charged at the banks (credit card) exchange rate, if you clicked on Euro's, then it will be at the retailers exchange rate which in most cases will be worse then the credit card.

Aha! Thats the info I was looking for cheers. Are you sure that this has to happen with every site?

See my example with play.com . They use their own euro rate which is £1=€1.50. :eek: :mad: Play.com should be boycotted.
    You have no choice in the matter, you either pay them in euro at their rate or go else where. Amazon.co.uk is much better.
    In fairness most sites will charge you in sterling and that way you will get the savings from the exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

pixmania the same ..

this is £289 on the uk site,
    €338.61 using xe.com/ucc @ 1 EUR = 0.853479 GBP

the SAME ITEM on pixmania.ie is €378, €40 dearer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Can i ask a question to those who might know, does it actually cost play(or any company) any extra to post something to Ireland? I don't think it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

askaik they are registered for VAT in ireland so charge at21.5% as oppose to 17.5 % also it is dearer for them to ship to ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

I just bought something from Ebay this morning, and paid with Paypal
    1 EUR = 0.835263 GBP was the rate they used to convert :)

• Advertisement

lindtee wrote: »
    Can i ask a question to those who might know, does it actually cost play(or any company) any extra to post something to Ireland? I don't think it does.

I think it might cost a little bit more. Play seem to be hiding the postage costs in the exchange rate which is a tad dishonest when they claim to have free shipping. The do ship free to the UK. Play must be making a tidy profit from the exchange rate they use.

A while back people did complain about their exchange rates and they did alter them after the amount of emails they got. At this stage they are taking the piss with their exchange rate.
    ted1 wrote: »
    askaik they are registered for VAT in ireland so charge at21.5% as oppose to 17.5 % also it is dearer for them to ship to ireland.

Nope, they do not have a VAT number for Ireland. They are registered for VAT in the UK alright. If they were registered for VAT here their parcels would not need a customs declaration.

Amazon.co.uk is registered for VAT here and charges the correct VAT rate. They are still cheaper than play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Always check the retailers exchange rate before agreeing to pay for something in Euro, mostly you will find it's worse (extra margin for the retailer).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sendit.com are not far behind Play.com with a poor Euro exchange rate but at least they give you the option of buying in Sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

why are magazines so expensive so, I just bought one for 8.90 and it says 5.50 pounds on the cover

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

MooseJam wrote: »
    why are magazines so expensive so, I just bought one for 8.90 and it says 5.50 pounds on the cover

Cos punters are willing to pay !

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I saw an old man throw down a magazine on the counter in Eason because of the euro cost as oppossed to the sterling.

He was dead right in my opinion.

I only did that once myself when Spar tried to charge me 85 cent for a packet of Hula Hoops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

I changed €100 at the airport yesterday and got £75 and 1 euro back avoid at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I changed €100 at the airport yesterday and got £75 and 1 euro back avoid at all costs.

At a bureau or the PASS machine that gives Sterling?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I was told some time ago, that UK magazines are VAT-exempt within the UK, but once they enter Ireland, they get saddled with the 21% VAT, plus the extra distribution cost.

I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but it's what I was informed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

ch750536 wrote: »
    #1. Now is close to the best rate you are going to get. I may be wrong but I believe it is near the bottom though some experts are saying €1.14 = £1 is attainable. However, German data today is already having an effect.

Not according to an FX dealer I spoke to on Friday on the matter. He reckoned it could go to parity by or around February.

Advertisement