Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Evo series dying?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,225 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I appointed myself

The game feels the furthest from arcadey, thats a rediculous statement, FIFA you only need to know how to press the X and O button and you can win, THATS ARCADE, fifa this year is as bad a game as ever, it feel slow, unresponsive, the flow of the game does feel right, its a pick up and play title, if thats what you want, then dont buy pro evo, us who like real football will stay here and play a real game.

EA are not pushing the envelope, they are inventing modes that are not even real ways of playing football, i wont be surprised if fifa street gets merged into fifa just to give it more substance,

Every year since 98 fifa have HAD to add a rediculous amount of game modes and licenses just to give people a reason to want to buy it, side by side the footballing aspects of these FOOTBALL GAMES pro evo kicks the living balls out of fifa every year including last years title and this years title.

I would disagree with some of that. Knowing X and O is not enough in FIFA, cause to get past any player, ever, you need to know how to do the 'special moves', and scoring from long range is nigh on impossible. With regards to player responsiveness - offline it is fine, and the passing in FIFA is way better in looks, feel and execution.

FIFA takes more learning now than Pro does now.

I still prefer Pro to FIFA cause of the dribbling and shooting, but if you think Pro is closer to a real sim than FIFA.... i dunno. As I said above, if FIFA sort out the dribbling and shooting, I can't see how a Pro based on this years game could stand a chance against it. Becuase of those two issues in FIFA, i find it repetitive (pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass) and frustrating (shot from 18.1 yards saved easily, shot from 17.9 yards scored easily) after the 4th game in a night.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

If you play(ed) football yourself on a bit decent level you ll play PES on the XBOX/PS3/PC

If you know enough about the real game you can use it, to a certain level, to fine tune your team you like to play with.
    Pes is not about who can push buttons the best/fastest, it needs a little bit of vision as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,225 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

inforfun wrote: »
    it needs a little bit of vision as well.

as does FIFA now, you have to be able to spot the runs and pick them out cause it is nearly impossible to get past a player running without doing a special move.

TBH, I feel your argument is based more so on previous versions of Pro. There has been less realism in 08 and 09 than the older PS2 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I must agree with what Mitch/Tauren said. But up until a certain point (2007), I always seen FIFA as a game for 9-14 year olds, because it had licencing of all their favourite clubs, their favourite players on the cover, flashy presentation and an even flashier advertisement campain (mainly around Christmas). It was also pick up and play, with an assist button and a goal button. Pro Evo was a game for college bums and slightly older lads. They seen the proper enjoyment that PES had to offer with fantastic dribbling, shooting and ofcourse being able to stick it to your mates on world class multiplayer system which was the funnest thing ever.

Now the kids don't know what to play because FIFA is now a serious football game and too hard for them. PES lost a good bit of its enjoyment value and now the college/older guys are stuck in a node, some stay loyel to the Queen-I mean PES, and some have defected to the USSR-I mean FIFA. While the 9-14 year olds are sad because they don't have an easy to play football game to play with, and they can't use FIFA 06, because the kits are crappy and outdated... :(

That's how the previous versions split in popular culture (IMO) and now we'll just have to see who comes out on top to be the best football game of the new generation of games consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

i know which one i prefer - pity PES died a year+ ago and cannot challenge on next-gen because FIFA 09 - though so obviously better - is still far from perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Christ it continues

RTFM

READ THE F**KIN MANUAL

Players turn like tanks - YOU HAVE TO PRESS R2 AS YOU RECIEVE THE BALL TO CONTROL IT PROPERLY

this allows the game to be more realistic, nobody has a perfect touch all the time, your not going to remember to press r2 every time meaning if you dont use R2 you may have a rough touch depending on the player

This, IS IN THE MANUAL

Passing is a lottery - again i have said this before, passing is not a lottery, you have to press in the right direction as you pass or IT WILL GO SOMEWHERE ELSE

This again is realistic, unlike fifa, if you press left IT SHOULD NOT PASS RIGHT, passing is not a lottery, your just crap at the game. READ THE MANUAL, USE THE TRAINING

Opposition Equalise within seconds of scoring - again you need to learn to defend, this is not a bug, not a problem with the game, not a problem with the AI, it is a problem with you, and the fact that you cannot play the game.

Will people who cannot play the game please quit ragging on it, go to general gaming or something and chat there because im sick of this bull, its a disgrace the way some people talk about this game and they dont even have the decency to

1) Practice
    2) Use the Training
    3) Read the manual

Ok, lets cover my main gripes....

Tackling - As you said, its an art form. So how the f*ck do you tackle somone in this game effectively? I run close by the attacking player, press X several times and guess what happens ? Defender slows down each time you press X. If you haven't noticed this then you're blind. What else happens? Nothing, the defender doesn't come anywhere near tackling the ball. Therefore, you resort to slide tackling, which ends up in yellows and reds all over the place because the Referring is a joke at times too.

Keepers - 90% of time they fumble the ball back into play from a save. This doesnt happen in real life to this extent. I actually sat down on Saturday and watch match of the day and analyzed the keepers in real games. Yes they made mistakes and errors, but not to the ridiculous extent that they do in PES2009. Its like they have football repelling magnets in their gloves.

Actually, I'm not going to bother spending any more time on this going through different aspects of the game. The game is poor, FACT. Konami produced a poor product again.

Prime example of this nonsense is this - last game I played, I'm 2-0 up with Man U against Arsenal. I'm, literally, all over them like flies on sh*t. They have produced nothing in the whole game which resembles a shot on goal or a threat. Then, with five mins to go, the Arsenal team who have been playing terrible suddenly transform themselves into an unstoppable force with phenomenally accurate passing and movement and bang in 3 goals in 2 mins.
    Nothing I do matters - Its like I'm playing against a telepathic team.

Savage stuff and totally realistic.

I played all the other versions of PES - up until last year I was happy with the game. this year and last year are total and utter crap.

Advertisement