Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Evo series dying?

Options
  • 13-11-2008 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

I gave up on it last year and moved to FIFA. My mates still went for it this year but I said I was going for FIFA. got a call off the most hardcore player of us all on Pro Evo and he told me not to get it, it's ****e. Said he had a game of FIFA the other day and liked it. Pro Evo is dying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I would classify Pro Evo 2008 as a heart attack. 2009 has recovered but is walking on thin ice with most people. The next iteration will either kill the series or send 2008 to the back of people's memories as a glitch.

As for 2009, imo its better than FIFA 09 on gameplay and that's the kicker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

if the next one isn't up to scratch, it should die.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Otacons right, about 08 & about 09. The gameplay is better, the graphics are crisp and the few extra modes are a good addition.

If the pro series is dying then people like you are killing it. You stick with pro for years then you switch because your mate tells you to? Did you try the demo, a rental?

If your comparing the commentary, licences or the poorly translated language of the game then your right. But next time you pick the ball up with Messi on the half way line, ghost 3 players and take it round the keeper you tell me it wasn't awesome. The top players in Pro react and play really accurately like their real world counterparts.

In my opinion theres no competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,228 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have FIFA and Pro this year, and i prefer Pro - cause i can dribble and score the odd one from distance. If I could do those in FIFA without have to rainblow flick or whatever every time I would play FIFA, but for me FIFA is too much about the passing. I loved it when i first got it, but after a month or so, the love went away cause I got bored with the pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass mechanics of the game.

While i do prefer Pro09, FIFA have a lot less to do to make the 'perfect' football game than Konami do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Andyfbt

actually I did play both the demos and one of the problems with Pro Evo in my opnion IS Messi and Ronaldo. Once you have them in your team you coast past everyone. I didn't play it that much as i didn't buy it but my mate bought it and said it's too easy to score. All the games end up 4-3 and 5-4. Said it's not realistic and this is the man who tore into me for leaving the Pro Evo set up last year. Yes I agree the graphics are good but I don't think the gameplay is better than FIFA. The ball feels like it is really heavy.

I think the old argument of Pro Evo doesn't have all the licenses but has better gameplay is gone now. Pro Evo is obviously second ranked now. You only need to see reviews from critics and gamers around the globe. The only people hanging on are the people afraid of change. But sooner or later you will have to realise that you are playing the 2nd ranked game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Andyfbt wrote: »
    actually I did play both the demos and one of the problems with Pro Evo in my opnion IS Messi and Ronaldo. Once you have them in your team you coast past everyone. I didn't play it that much as i didn't buy it but my mate bought it and said it's too easy to score. All the games end up 4-3 and 5-4. Said it's not realistic and this is the man who tore into me for leaving the Pro Evo set up last year. Yes I agree the graphics are good but I don't think the gameplay is better than FIFA. The ball feels like it is really heavy.

I think the old argument of Pro Evo doesn't have all the licenses but has better gameplay is gone now. Pro Evo is obviously second ranked now. You only need to see reviews from critics and gamers around the globe. The only people hanging on are the people afraid of change. But sooner or later you will have to realise that you are playing the 2nd ranked game

No different to real life so...Whats your problem..They are the best players in the world...So therefore should be class in the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

got to that all football games are dieing because in the end its the same game year in year out look the xbox360 has bene out for 3 years now and aboth 20 football games for it new fifa in less than 3 munths now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

xbox36016 wrote: »
    got to that all football games are dieing because in the end its the same game year in year out look the xbox360 has bene out for 3 years now and aboth 20 football games for it new fifa in less than 3 munths now

WTF is that you just wrote?

Anyway PES has died a death and is extremely poor this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

armour87 wrote: »
    The top players in Pro react and play really accurately like their real world counterparts.

Not really true, I have been playing for United and Rooney's passing is terrible, I think he makes 1 out of every four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Even if you're a FIFA fan, you better hope PES doesn'e die out. Remember how bad FIFA used to be before it had major competition? I remember playing 10 minute games with my mates and it was considered a low scoring game if there was less than 12 goals. All it needed was the latest catchy pop song, beckhams new hairdo, updated menus and a snazzy new feature like power bars for shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

ne of the problems with Pro Evo in my opnion IS Messi and Ronaldo.

Exactly. How some of these players perform is ridiculous. Even on regular difficulty against a computer controlled team it's almost impossible to win if Ronaldo or Messi are in the other team. Other players are unrealistic the opposite way, fast players are easily caught by carthorse type defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I decided to give pro evo another chance after last years debacle which sent me back to playing pro evo 6.

My initial opinion was favourable but after a couple of weeks playing I have come to the conclusion that PES 2009 is just as much a debacle as 2008.

I cannot understand how Konami can release such poor quality games in recent years after ruling the roost of football gaming for years.

My problems with PES 2009 are as follows -

1. Tackling (apart from slide tackling) is abismal.

2. Passing is inaccurate and pot luck at the best of times.

3. Goalkeepers are terrible and seem unable to hold on to a ball, instead preferring to parry it back to an opposition striker - http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE2kPAh7yjc&eurl=http://ps3-talk.de/showthread.php?t=24844

4. Playing against the CPU is a joke - you score, they run the pitch and score from tip off. Ping pong.

5. Corners are worthless as winning a header in the box is nigh on impossible.

6. If I play as Man U, or any other team for that matter, they are rubbish. However, if I play against that team, they are unbelievably good in all apsects of their play. Yes, the cpu is controlling the players, but why do they suddenly go to the dogs when I play as them?

7. Lack of decent commentary.

8. Lack of licences.

9. Lack of up to date transfers.

Granted the last three are not essential but at the end of the day we are paying for a product. I expect that product to be polished and as good as it possibly can be.

The last decent iteration of this game was pro evo 6 - three years ago.
    Since then, Konami have produced two rubbish games which have dealt a hammer blow to the entire series.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I have both and for the second year in a row Fifa is by far the superior game in almost every way.

Not only do I enjoy the gameplay(most important part) way more, the presentation, features, music, and licenses just make it much better and fun to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Andyfbt

Unearthly wrote: »
    I have both and for the second year in a row Fifa is by far the superior game in almost every way.

Not only do I enjoy the gameplay(most important part) way more, the presentation, features, music, and licenses just make it much better and fun to play.

That is it in a nutshell my friend. I'd love Pro Evo to come back fighting and I was hoping for it this year. They promised us they would but they delivered this crap to us

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Both poor imo, we expect PES to be good and it hasnt been for 2 games now, FIFA has gotten better but its still not very good. Just compared to PES it is good, we need more football games :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

Keyzer wrote: »

4. Playing against the CPU is a joke - you score, they run the pitch and score from tip off. Ping pong.

6. If I play as Man U, or any other team for that matter, they are rubbish. However, if I play against that team, they are unbelievably good in all apsects of their play. Yes, the cpu is controlling the players, but why do they suddenly go to the dogs when I play as them?

I would agree with both points. I haven't played as Man U (perish the thought) but I have played against them at least 17 times and got just one draw, and that's on regular difficulty. I am wondering if it's Konami making the "official" teams unbeatable or what. I can beat Chelsea, Liverpool whoever, but struggle against the official teams. Players like Ronaldo are fantastic in real life but are untouchable in this (only thing in one game Ronaldo got booked twice for diving). Also players who are slow in real life are suddenly olympic sprinters while speed merchants are slowed right down. I haven't played FIFA yet but it must be better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

its still unplayable online. i hate fifas graphics and gameplay but im going to wait next year to see if pes works online before choosing one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

This thread is laughable and is literally a congregation of "people who cant play pro evo properly 2008"
    1. Tackling (apart from slide tackling) is abismal.
    Tackling like anything in football is an art, it requires timing and effort, you cannot just press X and expect to win the ball back, that is not realistic and not a challenge, this is a game, you are not paying 60 blips for a game that is simple to complete.
    2. Passing is inaccurate and pot luck at the best of times.
    The Big change this year is that passing no longer just goes to the nearest player, you must press in the direction of the player at least roughly for it to go to the player, this stops terrible playing pinging the ball around like they were born in the arsenal academy and allows decent players to produce beautiful footballing moves
    3. Goalkeepers are terrible and seem unable to hold on to a ball, instead preferring to parry it back to an opposition striker - http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE2kPAh7yjc&eurl=http://ps3-talk.de/showthread.php?t=24844
    Goalkeepers are terrible, Goalkeepers make mistakes, and when let down by their defenses, goalkeepers are not a brick wall. Whatever has bred this belief that goalkeepers should stop every shot every time is rediculous, in a realistic game, the goalkeeper WILL be troubled and will make mistakes, this season in real life is a classic example of the like of huerelho gomes making massive mistakes. Remember a goalkeepers stats will be related to how he plays so the stats related to handling and agility and the likes will affect how they respond to certain shots. Sure sometimes it can look as it the keeper COULD have done more, but a keeper cant ALWAYS do that ALL the time, its not how a real keeper would play in a match.
    My god, you must be TERRIBLE, im playing on top player and not once has a computer ran the pitch and scored from tip off. Also the goalkeepers are a bit more reliable on the higher levels (since AI is controlling your keeper thus the higher the AI the better the keepers)
    5. Corners are worthless as winning a header in the box is nigh on impossible.
    If you cant win corner headers the practice in training, you need to select a player and track the ball in the air, yes sometimes you'll get caught, guess what, in real life, TEAMS SCORE FROM CORNERS, you need to learn how to deal with them not moan about it
    If you cant play with man u there is no hope for you
    7. Lack of decent commentary.
    Its no andy gray, its a little repetitive but its no different that the quality of previous years, i fail to see the point of how the lack of decent commentary affected you in previous years
    8. Lack of licences.
    Has been an issue since day 1, yet 10-12 games later if you count the early ISS series and people are still playing in there masses, An option file has previously solved most of these problems, its not a big issue really, if Konami could get the licenses they would, unfortunately EA has got FIFA's licenses wrapped up and it would cost Konami a sweet pretty penny to obtain these licenses in a bidding war with FIFA, so what would you prefer, a good game or licenses you can fix with an option file / edit mode
    9. Lack of up to date transfers.
    Null point, They have released a patch with all the up to date transfers and added new licenses for clubs not licensed at the point of release of the game.
    This shows they are still trying to get licenses for us and have updated the transfers which happened after the game when gold (burned to disk)

Seeing as most people have echoed or talked about similar of the same points i've just used Keyzers post as a marker

The Game is as good as ever, if you cant play it then try training mode, for god sake its a game, you shouldnt instantly adapt to major changes in the game and physics.

PES 09 kicks the living balls out of FIFA, the only thing i like on FIFA is the number of modes they have, including lounge mode with silly fun games with mates like opponent starts with 2 players sent off, or you start with a 3-0 lead, just different takes that were probably simple implementations for them as they are minor adaptions to prerequisites of a normal match.

Thats my only beef with Pro Evo , the lack of new modes,
    World Tour mode on the PS2 last year was great, it for some reason wasnt on the PS3,
    I have to give it to them that champions league mode this year is very well done, im really enjoying it. Ive not played the master league yet because im playing Be A Legend too much. So i dont know if they have used the champions league license as a european cup if you win the top league in master league (as would make sense)

Anyway seriously people, pick up a controller and play the game, if your getting torn apart by the computer, its time to train and pick your game up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

ive played both.... pro evo dying? it died last year.
    fifa is leaps and bounds ahead of it, in every department.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

lol,that must be some god awful defending...most of the games with my friends are all 2-1,1-1 and sometimes we might makes it to 3 whatever...tighten up your defence..thats all you have to do.secondly,lol you take game critics reviews to hardcore..they gave halo a 10,its good but not that good..you see my point,Secondly not many of the big sites review pro evo,only fifa so i dont know where you got that from...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

The problem with fifa is that it may have the licensing,more mode etc but the most vital thing it lacks....gameplay...It all about gameplay at the end of the day because all you do in pro evo is play soccer and that is where pro evo is king

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I have both, and I can honestly say PES is a slightly better game despite its obvious drawbacks. I would also agree with most of the points made by dionsiseire. The reason I think the latest pro has been getting bad press by gamers is because they suck at it and arent prepared to practise. Granted FIFA might have more pickupandplay-ability but at least with PES there is a learning curve albeit slightly steep.

I know that after playing 2009 for a fair few hours that its highly unlikely any of my mates who havnt put the same amount of hours in as me are going to beat me. However whenever we play fifa its literally a lottery between me and any of my mates as to who will win. First time players will beat lads who have been playing the game solid since it came out simply by pass pass pass, shoot from long range.

Dont get me wrong, I like both games but neither are perfect. IMO I think whats happend is that when PES6 was out (possibly the best playing pro ever), FIFA was absolute pants and the gap between the two was huge. Since then EA have steadily tried to copy alot of the good parts of PES whilst supplying the usual EA tricks, decent commentary,graphics, league endorsements etc. Now the gap between the two isnt as wide and I think if Konami dont get their act together then next year they could be in serious trouble. But for the moment 2009 is still the best footie game out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

I've always been a PES man but I bought both FIFA and PES this year. I've been playing FIFA a lot. I've had about 3 or 4 hours on PES.

They need to revamp urgently. I never thought I would say this but FIFA is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Everyone who thinks the Pro Evo series is dying needs to play Pro Evo 2008 on the Wii.

It won't look as pretty as the next gen versions but who ever played Pro Evo for graphics anyway? From what i see of the new Pro Evos on the PS3/360 they still don't look great anyway.

The controls with the Wii remote and nunchunk and sublime. You can send players on runs, etc. Some people here should consider it anyway if they are unhappy with the traditional versions. If they fix some defending and shooting issues in 2009 it will be a savage game of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Dearg81

armour87 wrote: »
    If the pro series is dying then people like you are killing it. You stick with pro for years then you switch because your mate tells you to? Did you try the demo, a rental?

Its funny how defensive people get when u slag off a game they like or have been playing for years. I've owned all the pro evo's since it was released and this years version is pure sh!te. It was so bad i traded my copy in already. The realism has gone out of the game as its way too easy to score and ghost by defenders. The game has got worst and worst, just face the facts. If you still like the game then fair enough stop pretending its flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

It's a big of pile sh1te again this year. It seems so long ago the last time I felt in control of the ball, a la Pro Evo 5/6.

I was playing 2009 again there last night and I've never sworn so much. Such a frustrating experience playing this game - the players turn like tanks and the balls bounces off them like they're all Dirk Kuyt. Passing is a lottery as said before, and that through-ball bug where you dink the ball a couple of feet to the opposition is disgraceful. The whole game has this plasticy unrealistic feel to it and the way the opposition consistently equalise within seconds of conceding, regardless of what you do to prevent it, is just plain retarded.

I'm going to try out Fifa, it can't be any worse TBH.

Ardent wrote: »
    It's a big of pile sh1te again this year. It seems so long ago the last time I felt in control of the ball, a la Pro Evo 5/6.

I was playing 2009 again there last night and I've never sworn so much. Such a frustrating experience playing this game - the players turn like tanks and the balls bounces off them like they're all Dirk Kuyt. Passing is a lottery as said before, and that through-ball bug where you dink the ball a couple of feet to the opposition is disgraceful. The whole game has this plasticy unrealistic feel to it and the way the opposition consistently equalise within seconds of conceding, regardless of what you do to prevent it, is just plain retarded.

I'm going to try out Fifa, it can't be any worse TBH.

Christ it continues

RTFM

READ THE F**KIN MANUAL

Players turn like tanks - YOU HAVE TO PRESS R2 AS YOU RECIEVE THE BALL TO CONTROL IT PROPERLY

this allows the game to be more realistic, nobody has a perfect touch all the time, your not going to remember to press r2 every time meaning if you dont use R2 you may have a rough touch depending on the player

This, IS IN THE MANUAL

Passing is a lottery - again i have said this before, passing is not a lottery, you have to press in the right direction as you pass or IT WILL GO SOMEWHERE ELSE

This again is realistic, unlike fifa, if you press left IT SHOULD NOT PASS RIGHT, passing is not a lottery, your just crap at the game. READ THE MANUAL, USE THE TRAINING

Opposition Equalise within seconds of scoring - again you need to learn to defend, this is not a bug, not a problem with the game, not a problem with the AI, it is a problem with you, and the fact that you cannot play the game.

Will people who cannot play the game please quit ragging on it, go to general gaming or something and chat there because im sick of this bull, its a disgrace the way some people talk about this game and they dont even have the decency to

1) Practice
    2) Use the Training
    3) Read the manual

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

Who appointed you public defender of the game? Chill out.

I've played Pro Evo since v4. I know how to play the game, as do other posters on here. But I guess everyone else is crazy and you're the only sane one.

The franchise has stopped improving over the last two years and has changed for the worse. You no longer feel like you're taking part in an intuitive game of football and there's a terrible arcadey feel to the whole thing. Ever since v6, there's less positives and more failings. With EA pushing the envelope year on year with the FIFA franchise, Pro Evo is a bitter disappointment.

I appointed myself

The game feels the furthest from arcadey, thats a rediculous statement, FIFA you only need to know how to press the X and O button and you can win, THATS ARCADE, fifa this year is as bad a game as ever, it feel slow, unresponsive, the flow of the game does feel right, its a pick up and play title, if thats what you want, then dont buy pro evo, us who like real football will stay here and play a real game.

EA are not pushing the envelope, they are inventing modes that are not even real ways of playing football, i wont be surprised if fifa street gets merged into fifa just to give it more substance,

Every year since 98 fifa have HAD to add a rediculous amount of game modes and licenses just to give people a reason to want to buy it, side by side the footballing aspects of these FOOTBALL GAMES pro evo kicks the living balls out of fifa every year including last years title and this years title.

The online aspect to pro evo has been dissapointing the last year, This year its closer to right, and more patches that will come out will only improve that.

If you think everyone posting in this thread makes up the sum of regular pro evo players your a fool, the people in this thread sounds like they couldnt play a decent game of prev to save their lives. In which case if they havnt the aptitude to do some learning curve then fifa is their future. I hope they enjoy mindless and talentless football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,228 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ardent wrote: »
    Who appointed you public defender of the game? Chill out.

I've played Pro Evo since v4. I know how to play the game, as do other posters on here. But I guess everyone else is crazy and you're the only sane one.

The franchise has stopped improving over the last two years and has changed for the worse. You no longer feel like you're taking part in an intuitive game of football and there's a terrible arcadey feel to the whole thing. Ever since v6, there's less positives and more failings. With EA pushing the envelope year on year with the FIFA franchise, Pro Evo is a bitter disappointment.

EA push the envelop "year on year" BIG PILE OF FESTERING CRAP.

FIFA 96 - Average
    FIFA 97 - Poor
    FIFA 98 - Poor
    FIFA 99 - Poor
    FIFA 00 - poor
    FIFA 01 - poor
    FIFA 02 - poor
    FIFA 03 - poor
    FIFA 04 - poor
    FIFA 05 - poor
    FIFA 06 - poor
    FIFA 07 - ok, but not a patch on PES6 (ps2 version)
    FIFA 08 - good
    FIFA 09 - very good.

EA have CONSISTENTLY made a poor football game with great presentation and lots of fully licensed teams.

Its only in the last 2 years they have made a game to actually rival the PES franchise in terms of gameplay. Depending on how good you are at them, and what you look for in a football game, one is better than the other (presentation, passing = FIFA; dribbling, shooting = PES, tackling crap in both for different reasons)

Yeah, PES is disappointing (less so this year than last year, though i still enjoyed PES last year) and FIFA has improved to the point where if EA get the shooting and dribbling balanced in 10 i'll be a convert but from reading this forum it appears EA's last two titles have made people completely forget the decade of festering crap they served up. If EA can turn around 10 years of crap, i'd give Konami a chance to turn around 2.

As an aside - the keepers are SHOCKING in PES09. They make some great saves but they are useless at closing down the striker - often jumping past the ball or just simply running in the wrong direction and giving the striker a clean shot on goal as a result.

Advertisement