Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

20% of used import cars 'clocked'

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Mileage is recorded at the NCT test. I just don't think it's generally accessible after that like it is in the UK.

For my part, I keep all of my vehicles NCT reports as the mileage is recorded on them. It makes it easier to verify the mileage of the car when you go to sell it on..

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Mileage is recorded at the NCT test. I just don't think it's generally accessible after that like it is in the UK.

Even if it was accessible, the fact remains that cars under 4 years old won't have an NCT.

That's the age when a car is most valuable, that's the age there are more "benefits" from clocking.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

maidhc wrote: »

so just to be clear, you are saying SIMI paid off the AA and cartell.ie to produce a report that isn't true but serves their interests?

lollers, take it to the conspiracy theory nuthouse --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Its fairly handy to detect a clocked car in the UK. Not so in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

copacetic wrote: »
    so just to be clear, you are saying SIMI paid off the AA and cartell.ie to produce a report that isn't true but serves their interests?

It's clear this is an AA report, not a SIMI one, but it hasn't stopped SIMI from commenting on it.
    And Society of Irish Motor Industry chief (SIMI) Alan Nolan told the Irish Independent the figures highlighted the dangers of buying a car you know nothing about from someone you don't really know.

"Our own research shows that written-off cars, vehicles with finance outstanding and even stolen cars are turning up quite regularly here."

I'd like to know more about SIMI's own research. Are SIMI suggesting that this is not true for Irish born cars? lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭maidhc

Dear God no. I'm saying it reads like SIMI propaganda, complete with quotes from SIMI saying you should buy your next car from your local Arthur Daley.

The report, I have no doubt is 100% true, but so would a report in the Belfast Telegraph suggesting that 0.01% of Irish people are murders*.

*random made up figure

Dear God no. I'm saying it reads like SIMI propaganda, complete with quotes from SIMI saying you should buy your next car from your local Arthur Daley.

The report, I have no doubt is 100% true, but so would a report in the Belfast Telegraph suggesting that 0.01% of Irish people are murders*.

*random made up figure

one in a hundred is a bit high alright, but I am suspicious that you have a bullseye on some SIMI suits at the moment!

As noted above it is most likely that all these cars were clocked in Ireland by dealers, SIMI dealers as likely as not.

What the survey really points to is the fact that at least you can do one with the UK data available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭maidhc

What the survey really points to is the fact that at least you can do one with the UK data available.

Agreed.

Nothing much against SIMI, they are interest group like any other and anything they say should be viewed accordingly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

but so would a report in the Belfast Telegraph suggesting that 0.01% of Irish people are murders*.

*random made up figure
    one in a hundred is a bit high alright,

1 in 10,000, not one in a hundred

Sorry, pedantic point :)

micmclo wrote: »
    1 in 10,000, not one in a hundred

Sorry, pedantic point :)

realised it was wrong as soon as I typed it, hoped nobody would bother to point it out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I'm not saying any of the cars listed here are clocked but they are UK cars for sale.
    The SIMI backed statistics would suggest that at least 1-2 of those cars listed are clocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The SIMI backed statistics would suggest that at least 1-2 of those cars listed are clocked.

:D, some people say you can't argue with statistics.

Advertisement