Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here we go again

Options
  • 12-11-2008 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

Following the inarticulate Mr Mullins in the Sunday Tribune, here's another 'us & them' argument against cyclists in today's Irish Times.

It may well be worth responding to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Might be better off calling him :D
    The phone book lists one
    Roe, B & H
    12 Cullenswood Pk Dublin 6
    Phone number here
    Although I wouldn't waste my breath on the spa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I actually agree with the first two paragraphs - riding on the paths and breaking pedestrian lights isn't on, whatever way you look at it. I'd have serious issue with the "most inconsiderate" group bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Ranelagh?

Must be me he's talking about...

Sorry folks still a bit wobbely with the new headset an all...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

being struck by some thug riding his or her bicycle in the middle of the pavement or the inability of pedestrians to cross safely at pedestrian crossings because cyclists ride through the red lights at speed.
    1/ Or could it be that the pedestrian is actually walking on the cycling lane.
    2/ I agree there are badly behaved cyclists out there who break the lights, I admit it happenned to me in the past, both as a cyclist and as a pedestrian ... taught me a lesson.
    Cyclists are easily the most inconsiderate of the various groups using our public roads.
    After bus, van and car drivers, Mmmm yeah.
    their virtuous use of a bicycle
    ... yeah, and we look cool too ... at least I do ;)
    entitles them to ignore the rules of the road.
    As I said previoulsly there are some badly behaved cyclists out there ...

I really don't feel concerned by this man's comment ...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd agree with most of that letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I like this line:
    My suggestion is prompted, inter alia, by the frequent sight of an elderly person cowering in a doorway

First of all, I had to check and see what "inter alia" meant (amongst other things), but I'm mostly concerned by the poor old person mentioned, as he only mentions one that has to cower in doorways frequently... maybe he's not cowering, but lives in said doorway.... or maybe it's the door to his house, and being elderly, just has a permanent cowardly look about him (maybe paranoid because every time he goes to open his door, Mr Roe is staring at him...

Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd agree with most of the letter too. Except that I'd consider pedestrians to be the "most inconsiderate" of road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I only agree with the second paragraph, which is 1/3 of the letter. Bikes should not be on the path. Bikes should stop at red lights. We are not the most inconsiderate of road users by a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Apart from a bit of colour thrown in by the pomposity of the author, I agree with his letter. Particularly the "holier than thou" cyclist part - go on, prove him wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I think we can go on and on about this forever ... who is a bad cyclist and who is a good cyclist, it's a never ending circle ...

I think Most of the people I cycle with are considerate road users, who use good lights, helmets, signal turns, stop at lights, Don't cycle on the footpath, look out for cars, pedestrians, pets and so on.

I have come across a massive number of those cyclists B Roe describes and they do make us all look bad, but what ca you do to change that?

I just focus on being a good cyclist, for commuting, and as a sport, so I don't feel concerned by anyone's rants. I am just annoyed that we get a bad reputation ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

I am just annoyed that we get a bad reputation ...

In fairness, I don't think there's any group that don't cause/get annoyed about things another group do.

I mean - you just need to take a look at the above posts - cyclists have issues with bus drivers, car drivers, pedestrians. Motorists have issues with cyclists, pedestrians, bus drivers, taxi drivers. Taxi drivers have issues with the rest of the world. It goes on and on and on due parts of particular groups giving their group a "bad name".

To be honest, I don't think it's worth talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

While Mr Mullins is a grumpy auld Victor Meldrew type, Mr Roe's letter does have a valid point.

I can agree that plenty of people on bicycles don't have a clue what they're doing - but they'd probably be the ones to scoff at mandatory training, claiming "sher what would i need that for?" There should be more road safety including exams integrated into the education system to address "mandatory training".

And infraction of rules of the road? People are going to do that regardless of training as there very little enforcement - the risk of potential embarrasment of getting a ten minute bollicking from a copper while busloads of people go by is low at the moment. If you see someone getting pulled by the Gardai every day behaviour may improve. Or perhaps the threat of "what'll it be - mandatory training or a day in court?", but I doubt there is the political will out there to make that a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I can't disagree with what he says about cyclists behaviour, there are those who cycle on the path, break red lights and cause all the associated problems with same. I've seen some very nasty cyclist vs pedestrian collisions over the years, and invariably it was a cyclist at fault.

If the editor publishes any replies to this, I would hope to see letters from cyclists that advocate responsible road use by everyone, and shift the argument away from the idea that each group of road user has an agenda that is mutually exclusive to everyone else's (yes I will be writing one myself).

Unfortunately, his contention that 'Cyclists are easily the most inconsiderate of the various groups using our public roads' will probably attract equally polarised responses, which doesn't really help.

@kenmc - any chance you could edit that post to remove the guy's number?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I would agree with the letter about cyclists who use paths but i also dont see the benefit for any cyclist to use a path( not that they dont).
    Anyway if anything the letter should be used as a reason why more cycles cycles should be provided, the only time I ever end up on a path is when Im forced onto one by cars doing such things as trying to create two lanes on a single lane road, and then I only use it to get around them and only if its empty Im quite scared of pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

This is a very common complaint against cyclists. It's easy to see that many cyclists break red lights, and cycle on the pavement, but the real danger to pedestrians is elsewhere.

I'm looking at a few stats (nra.ie) in preperation of a response to this.
    From 1998 to 2003, there were 2 fatalities in 'pedal cyclist pedestrian' incidents. Both occured in 2002. Does anyone have any more information on this, as I'm not sure what the statistic means? ie 2 peds killed, 1 ped one cyclist? 2 cyclists?
    Same time period, total 570 pedestrian deaths.

My conclusion would be that depsite to annoyance, inconvenience and danger? of cyclists on footpaths, I'd rather people were on the bike than in a car.

M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Rob_l wrote: »
    I would agree with the letter about cyclists who use paths but i also dont see the benefit for any cyclist to use a path( not that they dont).
    Anyway if anything the letter should be used as a reason why more cycles cycles should be provided, the only time I ever end up on a path is when Im forced onto one by cars doing such things as trying to create two lanes on a single lane road, and then I only use it to get around them and only if its empty Im quite scared of pedestrians.

Have to say I'd go along with cyclist.ie line. Cycle lanes are a waste of time (they way they do them here anyway). To small, badly positioned, too many interruptions and often end suddenly and in the case of one out of balbriggan in a ditch !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

RobFowl wrote: »
    Have to say I'd go along with cyclist.ie line. Cycle lanes are a waste of time (they way they do them here anyway). To small, badly positioned, too many interruptions and often end suddenly and in the case of one out of balbriggan in a ditch !!!

This is very true they should be seperated from both the road and the path but seeing as we have trouble getting them at all Im not going to start dreaming of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

In fairness I regularly see people cycling on pavements and breaking red lights. Disagree with the "most inconsiderate group" bit only if because I believe it is wrong to look at these things in terms of "groups"- I am not in a "cyclist group" that believes in RLJing and pavement cycling any more than a driver is in a "driver group" that believes in harassing cyclists.

There was a pedestrian killed by a cyclist only last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

How can Mr Roe be sure that these inconsiderate cyclists are really cyclists and not just motorists on bicycles?

In fairness though he does have a point. I'm back on the streets during the day again and some of my fellow bike riders do behave disgracefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

blorg wrote: »
    In fairness I regularly see people cycling on pavements and breaking red lights. Disagree with the "most inconsiderate group" bit only if because I believe it is wrong to look at these things in terms of "groups"- I am not in a "cyclist group" that believes in RLJing and pavement cycling any more than a driver is in a "driver group" that believes in harassing cyclists.

There was a pedestrian killed by a cyclist only last month.

Yeah, I don't consider a lot of the people who are termed "cyclists" actually cyclists. They are people who ride bikes. I was probably like that when I was 12, cycling around on the footpath, using pedestrian crossings to take a right turn, etc. I see guys riding to work in the morning who are all over the place, don't know what position to take up on roundabouts, T-junctions, can't take their hands off the bars to indicate and all that. People that I would term cyclists are wiser road users who are probably using their bike recreationally or commuters who are well versed in the rules of the road. I hate being lumped in with people on bikes who don't have a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Is it bad that I don't use hand signals on my commute.... I just go with the flow of traffic.... oops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Is it bad that I don't use hand signals on my commute.... I just go with the flow of traffic.... oops!

Have you a taxi-bike?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

All types of Irish road users break/bend rules in order to gain 20 secs on their journey. Personal gain beats the greater good every time in this country and in all situations.

I sometimes drive, sometimes cycle and sometimes walk. I'm very confused about my identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Malari wrote: »
    I hate being lumped in with people on bikes who don't have a clue.

Anyone riding a bike is a cyclist, same way anyone driving a car is a motorist.

The problem is not with exclusivity or otherwise of terminology, it's with generalisations in general (!). I am an individual, and appreciate being treated as one.

I have probably only ridden less than 10k in my life, but driven about 200k in cars and on motorbikes.

In all those kms I can honestly count the number of dangerous interactions between car and bike on the fingers of one hand, but I've had a few car accidents where no bike was in sight.

Defensive driving and riding is much the same approach. Anticipate the actions of others, be predictable and unambiguous yourself.

Cyclists tend to make better drivers and vice versa (which I'll pass off as correlation, not generalisation).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Lumen wrote: »
    Anyone riding a bike is a cyclist, same way anyone driving a car is a motorist.

Yes of course anyone on a bike is called a cyclist, I'm just saying there are people who are cyclists for sport and there are people who ride bikes. Radically different groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Mucco wrote: »
    This is a very common complaint against cyclists. It's easy to see that many cyclists break red lights, and cycle on the pavement, but the real danger to pedestrians is elsewhere.

I'm looking at a few stats (nra.ie) in preperation of a response to this.
    From 1998 to 2003, there were 2 fatalities in 'pedal cyclist pedestrian' incidents. Both occured in 2002. Does anyone have any more information on this, as I'm not sure what the statistic means? ie 2 peds killed, 1 ped one cyclist? 2 cyclists?
    Same time period, total 570 pedestrian deaths.

My conclusion would be that depsite to annoyance, inconvenience and danger? of cyclists on footpaths, I'd rather people were on the bike than in a car.

M

I've never so far been hit by a car while walking to work. I have twice been hit by cyclists.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

In my experience, the majority of cyclists you see on the road either don't have a clue about traffic law or simply feel that it shouldn't apply to them.

I think the reason people tend to get a bit upset here when motorists start complaining is that pretty much everyone here is a cycling enthusiast in some shape or form and tend to be responsible road users. People who break lights and ride on the footpath aren't going to be posting on Boards.

While I'd agree with blorg that lumping people into groups and tarring them all with the same brush isn't helpful, I think the sheer number of cyclists flouting the law doesn't do the rest of us any favours. I'm quite convinced that the irrate rage you come accross now and then from motorists stems from resentment built up over time at seeing cyclists behave in this fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I've never so far been hit by a car while walking to work. I have twice been hit by cyclists.
    Did you walk into them or did they hit you?

</stir> :p

There's animosity on both sides. As I pointed out on another thread, pedestrians badly contribute to tension between the two because they completely ignore the existence of cyclists and even expect cyclists to give way to them. They don't ignore cars because they know that getting hit by a car will hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Letter sent off, hopefully it will be published and I'll be back beating my mate on our published letters rate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Never been hit by a cyclist walking, have been hit by cars and buses (twice walking and 8-9 times cycling). Been hit by cyclists cycling f**k knows how many times :(

Advertisement