Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

They are also beginning to lay the final layer of asphalt at the Newport interchange,

Anyone know how things are going at the infamous bog section ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 varls18a

:(jobs
    They are also beginning to lay the final layer of asphalt at the Newport interchange,

Anyone know how things are going at the infamous bog section ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Wearing course? About f**king time!!!

tech2 wrote: »
    Wearing course? About f**king time!!!

Actually they're just laying the first asphalt layers on the slip roads. They were working on the south bound slip road on Fri.

They have also continued the concrete median up the ramp a bit on the southern end

But yes I agree, the progress is painfully slow.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

They have also continued the concrete median up the ramp a bit on the southern end

They have done what?!!! So how do you go straight ahead? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Wearing course is actually being laid from the compound down to the bog and upwards along the northbound lane.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    They have done what?!!! So how do you go straight ahead? :confused:

:pac:
    sorry, what I mean is that, they have continued the concrete median up the incline which takes the M7 over the existing Newport roundabout.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

I know how much the strange one hates rumours so he should probably disregard what follows;

Rumour- The Nenagh Bypass is due to re-open as dual carriageway in the next few weeks.

Here endeth the rumour.

Mighty big rumour you are playing with.

I hope myself it is open because my new Tom Tom map assumes it is already open and is confusing my timings.

Have you ever know t'interweb to be wrong? I've never seen anything untrue on t'interweb.

• Advertisement

Have you ever know t'interweb to be wrong? I've never seen anything untrue on t'interweb.

Even Google knows the score. It will correct you if you type the wrong thing.

paris-hilton-isnt-a-whore.png

I know how much the strange one hates rumours so he should probably disregard what follows;

Rumour- The Nenagh Bypass is due to re-open as dual carriageway in the next few weeks.

Here endeth the rumour.

I wouldn't be surprised if it did. As they now have the original crash barriers taken apart and traffic directed on the southbound carriageway it gives the chance to lay the wearing course on the northbound carriageway over the whole Nenagh bypass which is currently being done.

Is there wearing course on any other sections of the scheme? I might have a look at it on Monday maybe!

Just drove the Nenagh Bypass. I used to drive it every day but haven't done so for nearly three weeks. There is no wearing course down on the westbound section at all and there are no surfacing works ongoing on the bypass itself. They are erecting the barrier on the underbridges at the moment. The railway underbridge looks to be particulary unadvanced, in that the old walls are still up. It's hard to see whether there is any structural work ongoing behind these at the moment but you can see from the edge channel drain that the existing walls are in the way. Also the tie into the Carrigatogher interchange is still incomplete but that could be remedied fairly quickly.

From what I heard they intended to open the road last Monday but that date fell by the wayside in a big way. If they make a big push then they might get the bypass open in two weeks but it might be a bit too much to expect.

IMHO this does not bode well for a complete scheme opening in December given the days are rapidly closing in and the weather will begin to turn shortly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That is the Coffey section is it not ??

Bothair Hiberian alright. Although I'm not sure if Mota rather than Coffey's are looking after the pavement works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Coffey have largely finished their bit in that case , maybe they are haggling over the handover or parallel working or maybe the translator is simply on holidays :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Just drove the Nenagh Bypass. I used to drive it every day but haven't done so for nearly three weeks. There is no wearing course down on the westbound section at all and there are no surfacing works ongoing on the bypass itself. They are erecting the barrier on the underbridges at the moment. The railway underbridge looks to be particulary unadvanced, in that the old walls are still up. It's hard to see whether there is any structural work ongoing behind these at the moment but you can see from the edge channel drain that the existing walls are in the way. Also the tie into the Carrigatogher interchange is still incomplete but that could be remedied fairly quickly.

From what I heard they intended to open the road last Monday but that date fell by the wayside in a big way. If they make a big push then they might get the bypass open in two weeks but it might be a bit too much to expect.

IMHO this does not bode well for a complete scheme opening in December given the days are rapidly closing in and the weather will begin to turn shortly.

Is there a HS and proper width running lanes on the entire bypass? Also is there HS under the bridges.

The Arch bridge will be going. I cannot understand why they would build a bridge here. The current NRA design is a joke. The interchange circles 3 houses. The houses are bascially like an island with the Slipways and bypass around it.

The best thing to do is build a bridge tie exactly at the old original R445 alignement over the C-N motorway tie in. Remove the ridicoulous current N-Bypass layout. The NRA design has three roundabouts with horrible slipways movements that are not fitting properly in the new tie in. I don't see the logic holding the old layout as the old layout suited the design layout of the bypass layout.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ireland.:mad: I'm annoyed because of the lazy attitude when it comes to remodelling things that we have built over the years. it's always a half arse job and it's not acceptable.

It will be open by December.

Do you work for this company. Are you a politician. It seems to me that you really want it to be delayed. Is my gut instinct right here;)

It will be finished and there is no finny fannying about it. There is no reason or excuse not to finish it. It has gone on long enough. Everyone should get their finger out.

I just drove southbound along the Nenagh section of the bypass and was surprised to see a certain machine at the end of it.

I have only ever seen this used once in Ireland so far.

A double lane blacktop laying machine. Basically they can lay two lanes at the same time. This was on the back of the truck finished for the evening by the looks of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mysterious wrote: »
    Also is there HS under the bridges.

The HS is hatched out under bridges, although it actually looks full width to me.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    The HS is hatched out under bridges, although it actually looks full width to me.

At the first overpass northbound on the Nenagh bypass the HS is not full width. It closes off for this bridge. The reason for this is:

This is still an original bridge and the road was never designed for 4 lanes + 2 HS so the HS must end before and after.

The underpass's where able to be widened which is a little easier.

Moving a bridge is difficult.

If anybody is aware of the Fermoy Bypass. Heading southbound just after the Rathcormac bridge(only accesible going northbound as an offramp and accessible as an onramp southbound). We once had to lift this nearly completed bridge 22mm into the air and place another layer of reinforcement beneath it to conform to NRA guidlines but really so it would not collapse. :rolleyes: It added 2 months to the project which luckily came in months ahead of schedule.

Meddling with bridges. Horrible horrible work.

I think the rest of Limerick have discovered what we have known from day 1 or in other words the chickens have come home to roost.
    Concern at plan to cut M20 access

SERIOUS concerns have been expressed after it was confirmed that Limerick city is set to lose an inbound access route from the Southern Ring Road when the project is completed next year.
    The plan is that motorists will no longer get into the city via the Carew Park link road beside the Maldron Hotel.

That road will only be for outward traffic to the motorway. Closing the inbound lane of the Carew Park Link Road beside the Maldron Hotel is an "emergency issue" according to Cllr Ger Fahy, who said the loss of the access route "could do untold damage to the future of the city".

The matter was discussed at a Transport SPC meeting at City Hall this week, where fears were expressed that the move will have a detrimental affect on traffic management in the city.

"There is an acceptance that we do need to have access from the Rosbrien Interchange directly into the city," Cllr Fahy told the Limerick Leader.

"The original design was that access would be closed but now people realise that if it is closed it would create havoc, and the NRA can't change their plans at this stage."

The National Roads Authority consulted Limerick City Council when designing the Southern Ring Road which includes the Shannon Tunnel, and it was agreed that the Carew Park Link Road should accommodate outbound traffic only leading onto the Rossbrien Interchange.

It currently has an inbound and outbound lane. Originally residents in Carew Park were opposed to an inbound access route because they did not want an increase in traffic volume. However, Carew Park is now part of the Regeneration project which promotes the inclusion of disadvantaged estates into the road network.

Physical exclusion and social exclusion are interlinked according to the Fitzgerald Report, and staff at the Regeneration Agency have held meetings with the NRA to reverse the decision to close the inbound lane which leads to Roxboro and Ballinacurra.

Representatives from the Maldron Hotel - formerly the Quality Hotel - who will be directly affected by the closure of the inbound lane, have also expressed their concerns to the NRA.

Cllr Kieran O'Hanlon told the SPC meeting this week that the NRA cannot "dictate the traffic flow in Limerick city". However, Pat Dromey, who is Director of Transport and Infrastructure at City Hall, explained that the NRA has a contractual agreement as part of the public private partnership project. "The bus has left the station long ago," Mr Dromey said of the road layout, which forms part of the major infrastructural project now in its final phase.

The director said that this did not mean that something cannot be
    done to address the loss of an access route when the overall project is finished.

Link

I have seen other articles stating an overbridge should now be constructed! :eek: It's on the front of the Limerick Post!

The Arch bridge will be going.

No it won't. Fact.

It will be open by December.

That remains to be seen.

Do you work for this company. Are you a politician. It seems to me that you really want it to be delayed. Is my gut instinct right here;)

If I worked for the company WTF would I want it to continue any further? The longer is goes on the more money the contractor spends and the longer he has to wait for payment. If I was a politician I wouldn't give a flying fiddlers- 5 years in the Dail + expenses = 1 million yo-yo's.
    It will be finished and there is no finny fannying about it.

That's a profound statement there, chief. Of course it will be finished.

No it won't. Fact.

Which is moronic in my view.

I seen it. Lazy way seems to be sexy in Ireland. Let's not bother atitude.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Which is moronic in my view.

I seen it. Lazy way seems to be sexy in Ireland. Let's not bother atitude.

Lazy? Cost saving more like.

There is already many sections of motorway in Ireland with no H/S, spending the hundreds of thousands required to replace a bridge to give H/S isn't "lazy", its sound financial management.

They were laying more blacktop today on the Newport Interchange.

Ummmm that is all.

MYOB wrote: »
    Lazy? Cost saving more like.

There is already many sections of motorway in Ireland with no H/S, spending the hundreds of thousands required to replace a bridge to give H/S isn't "lazy", its sound financial management.

You obviously not familar with the plans and the area. :rolleyes:

The new road layout is like trying to make a straight line into a horse shoe. You have no idea just how much earth work alone has to be done in building the slips and widening the trench of the Westbound slip that proceeds to Nenagh.

It's a bridge with a simple Dumbell interchange further east to where the orginal old N7 alignment and this is cost effective as it also gives a full proper flyover that is more managable than the current arch bridge hideous layout. The actual bother of keeping the old layout style is not cost effective ar all. It also had to take unessesary extra land and a further 3 roundabouts. Not only that the Houses will now be an island once this layout is completed. You have to understand this will be a motorway and you have 4 houses engulfed totally by an interchange with 3 roundabouts.

Its a complete farce. Its really really bad planning.

Seriously though. I do know what I'm taking about I am from the region.

You obviously not familar with the plans and the area. :rolleyes:

Well I am, and I'm willing to bet that I am more familiar with it than you.
    It also had to take unessesary extra land and a further 3 roundabouts.

There will only be two roundabouts and there is only a small additional amount of land required to construct the junction.

Not only that the Houses will now be an island once this layout is completed. You have to understand this will be a motorway and you have 4 houses engulfed totally by an interchange with 3 roundabouts.

At the moment the houses are between a National Road and a slip road. When the motorway is built they will be between a a sliproad and a cul de sac. The road will be carrying the same amount of traffic.

Seriously though. I do know what I'm taking about I am from the region.

Well that's nice.

• Advertisement

Still hideous.

It has three roundabouts on the plans. So I don't know what plans you were looking at.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement