Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Outer Orbital Route (DOOR)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Furet wrote: »
    That simply must be wrong. The route hasn't been decided yet anyway, so they're probably bluffing.

By the way, that website epitomizes everything I loathe about these "business parks". Just look at the photo - a plain green area with 4 boulders just dropped there, presumably as some sort of 'decorative' feature. The people who design our buildings and roads, whoever they are, simply have no sense of the aesthetic. Our country is tending to look like shight. :(

Yes, business parks tend to look like crap... this will be no exception to the rule I'm sure... I guess putting huge chunks of debris in the middle of a green is a new type of decorative "style" that I'm unawre of. Hopefully the MSAs will have some sort of aesthetic nicities, but my money's on them being huge concrete blocks with the odd attractive glazing...

Anyway, I've just realised that the website contradicts its own map when it says this:
    OUTER ORBITAL MOTORWAY
    The proposed new orbital motorway will run outside the M50 and will extend to approximately 80 km, linking the M1 close to Drogheda, through the N2 at Slane, the N3 at Navan, the N4 at Kilcock and the M7 at Kilcullen, close to the M7/M9 interchange.

That's no-where near where they had the DOOR leading to on their map...

And it shouldn't be starting close to the M7/M9 interchange, it should be starting ON the M7/M9 interchange. Why dump Waterford/South-Belfast/North traffic unnecessarily onto the M7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Ireland is not big mysterious, and its cities are small. Hence traffic between these small cities is fairly low. Compared to France or England, anyway. Long distance inter-city movements make up a minor % of total traffic movements on the M50. Lets remove it yes, but lets not rashly build a hugely expensive highway that will have relatively low usage, when a shorter version will do much the same job. There's f*** all money left, and our public transport needs most of it.
    These are not important facts, and just stupid wastful excuses for you to want an inner orbital of the commuter belt. We want to balance our motorway network and intergrate with the rest of the country. That is the purpose of Door.

To Connect the Cork, Limerick, Galway and the rest of the country with the North and east without having to swing towards Dublin.

That is the purpose of DOOR.

End of f*** story. Inner route, would cause more concentration of traffic and urban sprawl on the pheriphal of Dublin. It would defenately create more urban sprawl with the surrounding commuter towns. The inner route is just not a good sensible route at all, in terms of the objectives DOOR was orignally planned for.

So you say that not much traffic will use DOOR? Then why, do you want to have an inner route proposed, that will not reach the population catchements the outer door can provide.

Your arguments are getting pathetic and really contradictory, if not biased for your needs of an inner route regardless. (rolls eyes)

So instead lets build more roads around Dublin YAY, the inner route perfect, that actually is Dublin's commuter belt? When you said that, your whole arguement is stupid and flawed........................... Really you DO NOT understand how traffic works, especially when you, want DOOR to be the inner option.

Seriously you don't have a clue.

The inner route appears to meet these objectives though.

Not half as good as what the outer can do! So the Outer is more logical. So less of the opinions.

Not only will Dublin be bypassed with the outer route, but it will help connect the Midlands and the rest of the country much better. Navan, Mullingar and Dundalk would be better connected to each other. It's not just the Inter urban cities that will benifet as you keep only saying.
    Plus : We will not have to spend more money on building an upgraded N52 as expense of having a outer orbital connecting the midlands to the rest of the motorway network.
    If we opted for the inner route, we would still need an N52 2+2 aswell. Combining the Inner and upgraded N52 would be better fullfilled by allowing the outer route for DOOR. Makes more sense, and saves more money :) The outer route seems far more logical as the outer reaches large population catchments (a large percentage would touch the N52 catchment) and does two things, drive inter urban traffic away from Dublin and also connect the rest of the country. The inner cannot do both of these as effectively, FACT.

The outer route, saves money in the long run!
    It also will help to drive hungry investment into the country, to help create more conterbalance towards Dublin. Which this country needs.
    The inner isn't "connecting Dublin", its bypassing it with minimal radius. What journey could a Dubliner use it for? Please tell me.
    The inner will create urban sprawl, and attract more traffic around Dublin. Where as the Outer route, will better connect the country, and attract more integratiion within the country, and not focus purely towards Dublin.

Again to remind you EXACTLY what DOOR's purpose is for :)

The M25 orbits a city of 10 million people, a planet's worth of difference. The midlands doesn't need a motorway spine (maybe in the future but not now). It just needs an improved N road network.
    Dublin already has a second outer ring road built,with the Northern sections already under construction. We need our motorway network integrated. There is enough Motorways around Dublin at present.

Again, they are huge cities! And the DOOR isn't a true orbital at all, its a fairly linear bypass. Tell me, what unwanted traffic could potentially "spill onto" the inner route?
    Exactly Dublin doesn't need a second M50.

The country needs a proper motorway network. Hense Outer route will solve more problems than a commuter inner motorway your calling for:) Like it or not.

No surprise there its the dominant city much like Dublin. But on a vastly larger scale. What's your point? Build a motorway from Galway to Belfast?

What's the point in telling you my points' when
    A. I've made my point's clear
    B It's self explanatory
    C. We need to have a proper motorway system. Outer route solves this more effectively.

I take it you mean east of Paris. Listen, Lyon is the size of Dublin and Dijon the size of Cork. Of course they get to have dedicated routes. Apart from Dublin, Cork and Belfast, there are no population centres here to justify that kind of network. For the Cork-Belfast trip, the inner would work perfectly well, and they are the two largest cities concerned here.

DOOR is vital, and even more so when the inter urban's finishes in 2010. Every single motorway will lead to Dublin. We need a spine motorway to intergrate the network properly and not solely towards Dublin, as not everyone wants to go to Dublin. Our motorway network is really really bad planned out LA.

The outer would be far better, as Belfast - Cork/Limerick/Galway/Waterford/Athlone/Navan would be better connected with the North of Ireland and Leinster directly by an outer route, than steering towards Dublin by a second M50.... You argument, is very obvious, as you just personally want an inner by pass of the Pale, for your needs. The countries needs come first, and that is what DOOR is and will provided.
    Well I guess I'm clueless mate, you'll have to enlighten me. (You haven't so far).
    In seeing the bigger picture, yes. I believe you are.

BluntGuy wrote: »

And it shouldn't be starting close to the M7/M9 interchange, it should be starting ON the M7/M9 interchange. Why dump Waterford/South-Belfast/North traffic unnecessarily onto the M7?

Yes second level slips(M9) should be built going north over the M7, where the M9 diverges with the M7. Then the M7 should have slips going east to Northbound to join with the North slips of the M9. to then form the M40.

The M7 slips should be easy enough to build, but the M9 is quite low, and the slips will have to be raised high over the M7 to join the new DOOR as with the M7 slips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I've got to say, I prefer the outer option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

So, folks, we're speculating. But WHEN will the NRA unveil the route options? Spongebob, any idea? Are we looking at a 2018 opening date?

• Advertisement

It's 80 km which is quite a hell of a length considering that they'll have to build FOUR motorway-motorway interchanges, so I'd imagine, it'll take at least until 2020 to be done.

As for the M7/M9/DOOR junction, well here's a crude sketch showing what it looks like now, and how they could integrate it into the DOOR...

(In my proposed one, it's free-flow, but as a result, inevitably, there are some movements that are not possible)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Dont worry, I'm sure the 'NRA JUNCTION MADNESS' will take over and all of those junctions will be 3 level stacks a la M6/18/17 or Cork NRR/M20.

Oh yes, I'm sure as well. In fact I'm pretty sure if they get their hands on it, they'll design something like this (notice the token free-flow slip):

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

presumably there will be traffic lights at each T-junction there?!?

Maybe, or we might have Ireland's first ramp meters, just to add to the nightmare... ;)

In all seriousness, as idiotic as the design I drew might be, I would not put it past the NRA to plonk a roundabout in the middle of the M7/M9/DOOR interchange. They have zero-innovation.

Look at the M6/M17/M18 and M22/M20 interchanges for previews of what they'll most likely to do here...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Route Options are unlikely to be unveiled before the local elections in any eventuality , too controversial in certain cases .

I would think maybe they will be unveiled any time between late 2009 and early 2011 with final route selection by end 2011 . This is a guess .

I am more interested in the outer option seeing as the N80 N51 and N52 are dire and will need bypassing and expensive upgrades if the Inner route is followed. The objective is surely to negate the need for those upgrades and to provide network resilience against M50 congestion.

I must confess that I am minded to go with a variant on what Mysterious said ,start it from the N33 in Dunleer ( with an upgrade to the M1-N33 to freeflow ) then south of Ardee then to Lobinstown then to Tankardstown NW of navan and then head south to East of Trim, East of Enfield and thence to the N7/N9 megajunction and spaceport :)

I certainly hope it is the very first project that is done after the Atlantic Road Corridor and M4 past Longford and M11 to Rosslare have been completed as urgent national priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Well clearly I don't feel as passionate as some about my preference of inner/outer route here, as both have pros and cons in my eyes.

Mysterious, your arguement for me isn't convincing enough to warrant such an apparently angry tone, as if there is no correct opinion but your own. If there were one obvious route, then everyone would be in agreement already. So a bit more civility please, we're talking about a road here not the meaning of life.

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Well clearly I don't feel as passionate as some about my preference of inner/outer route here, as both have pros and cons in my eyes.

Mysterious, your arguement for me isn't convincing enough to warrant such an apparently angry tone, as if there is no correct opinion but your own. If there were one obvious route, then everyone would be in agreement already. So a bit more civility please, we're talking about a road here not the meaning of life.

D.L.R.

You see, this is probably my third time explaining my point too you. Other's here for the most part understand my logic and points towards having the outer route as the viable option for DOOR.

I took the time to explain to you why, you just ranted nonsense for the most part. Second you stated your opinion for the inner option, but didn't back it up AT ALL. In fact it was really really farced.

But on topic. This isn't my opinion. The majority of people seem to understand the outer route is the only real option. It's the most balanced, logical, cost saving, and the most likely route that will be suffiecient in doing what DOOR is for. The outer will reach far larger population catchment than the inner route will. It's proven fact that new roads stimulate investments to regions.

And having an OUTER Door will open up the regions and not just the Pale. The inner route seems to open purely the Pale.

It's not my problem you dont want to understand, the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

mysterious wrote: »
    And having an OUTER Door will open up the regions and not just the Pale. The inner route seems to open purely the Pale.
    In fairness they both open a large area to the west and south west of Lexlip which is outside The Pale.

The thread title is bollox anyway . We are discussing what was and still is OFFICIALLY called the

LEINSTER OUTER ORBITAL

even though it is geographically a Leinster Inner or Dublin Outer or Pale Central Orbital...take your picks I suppose :p
    Deputy Noel Dempsey: I propose to take Questions Nos. 71 and 123 together.
    As Minister for Transport, I have responsibility for overall policy and funding in respect of the national roads programme element of Transport 21. The implementation of individual national road projects is a matter for the National Roads Authority, NRA, under the Roads Act 1993 in conjunction with the relevant local authorities.
    In 2007, the NRA completed an updated feasibility study, which built on an earlier 2001 study, that considered, in particular, the costs and benefits of what has become known as the Leinster outer orbital route.
    The updated NRA study, which was forwarded to my Department in 2007, finds there is merit in an orbital route linking Drogheda, Navan, Trim and Naas. Neither Transport 21 nor the national development plan provides any funding for such a scheme to be brought to construction in the period to 2015. The Government has already made clear, under Transport 21, that priorities for the roads investment programme, after the completion of the major interurban network in 2010, will be the Atlantic road corridor as well as the improvement of other key national primary routes and the targeted improvement of certain national secondary routes.

The Minister for Finance has indicated his determination to seek to avoid any diminution of the capital provisions already made in the period to 2015, notwithstanding the current economic difficulties. The Leinster orbital route proposal remains an important potential element of our longer-term infrastructural development. My Department will continue to liaise with the roads and planning authorities concerned to ensure that the route options are preserved free of impediment for this potential project.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Any idea why that info is hosted on Cahill Printers website?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

AFAIK Cahills do a lot of XML & web related work for the Houses of the Oireachtas - that doesn't explain why its on their own site though!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Must be a staging/testing server. The version on the official site has exactly the same URL structure but has a last updated date of a day later.

Cahill have the contract for the 'live' debates site and the printed version so it makes sense they've a dev server. It doesn't make sense that its public!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The thread title is bollox anyway . We are discussing what was and still is OFFICIALLY called the

LEINSTER OUTER ORBITAL

even though it is geographically a Leinster Inner or Dublin Outer or Pale Central Orbital...take your picks I suppose :p

Leinster Outer Orbital makes no sense. First of all, where is "outer" Leinster? Second, an orbital is a full circle.

Its the Dublin Outer Bypass, really.

Believe it or not I hear that 'an announcement' will be made on the Outer Orbital in the next few weeks. A new PPP scheme may well be created and this PPP will involve widening of the M1 M4 and M7 at selected locations as well as some or all of the outer orbital.

It is but a political stunt by the usual suspect as we all know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Any more details - is this for certain?

The only section of DOOR I'd like to see go ahead is the Navan to Drogheda motorway section. I would prefer that the rest of DOOR is the N52. Since the N52 is the focus of upgrades now between Tullamore and Navan already.

The M9 traffic would be left out of the equation I understand but the it seems ok that the SE traffic can go up the M7 or M11 and head straight up the M1. I was in favour of the DOOR. But I honestly think we don't need another sprawling outer style M50. What dublin needs in terms of road infrastructure is a sandyford bay Tunnel, Newlands cross upgrade, and a few more river liffey bridges to ease the cross city centre traffic. The rest of the upgrades should focused on the interconnecter and Metro.

I think we have a enough motorways geared towards and around Dublin. The focus needs to be put onto the N52, N62, and N80 imo. It would be a bonus for Dublin and the entire countries since more towns are connected to either Dublin or the road grid.

The N52 needs upgrades from WS2/2+1 Borriskane to Kilcormac. 2+2 and standard DC from Tullamore to Mulingar. 2+2 from Mullingar to Navan and motorway from Navan to the M1. This would then mean that an orbital is done and all the largest towns in the country are connected with a decent road.

I will draw a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

I think DOOR is much better than LOO, perhaps the official name is a reference to the governments attitude towards money.

This thread appears to have been necromanced, has anything actually happened in relation to this project since 2008?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is the DOOR not largely redundant now that the M50 has been upgraded and seems to be working well?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Stark wrote: »
    Is the DOOR not largely redundant now that the M50 has been upgraded and seems to be working well?

[Sarcasm]
    But without the DOOR FF supporters won't be able to get large landbanks down the country rezoned for future inclusion in "NAMA 2.0"
    [/Sarcasm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 John Lynch Ph.D

The only section of DOOR I'd like to see go ahead is the Navan to Drogheda motorway section. I would prefer that the rest of DOOR is the N52. Since the N52 is the focus of upgrades now between Tullamore and Navan already.

Why? because you live in the area? The whole project should go ahead without question but if sections had to be prioritized then it would have be the connections between the M4 and M7.

They are the busier roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

The whole project should go ahead without question but if sections had to be prioritized then it would have be the connections between the M4 and M7.
    I agree the project should go ahead, but not as a motorway.

The Trim - Drogheda route is my daily commute (25 miles / 50 minutes :rolleyes:) and there simply isn't the volume of traffic to justify a motorway.

Whats there now are several parallel donkey tracks, each as narrow, twisty and potholed as the others. Whats needed is one of those roads upgraded to a decent N road to take the traffic, the others repaired for local access.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

The M9 traffic would be left out of the equation I understand but the it seems ok that the SE traffic can go up the M7 or M11 and head straight up the M1. I was in favour of the DOOR. But I honestly think we don't need another sprawling outer style M50. What dublin needs in terms of road infrastructure is a sandyford bay Tunnel, Newlands cross upgrade, and a few more river liffey bridges to ease the cross city centre traffic. The rest of the upgrades should focused on the interconnecter and Metro.

I think we have a enough motorways geared towards and around Dublin. The focus needs to be put onto the N52, N62, and N80 imo. It would be a bonus for Dublin and the entire countries since more towns are connected to either Dublin or the road grid.

The N52 needs upgrades from WS2/2+1 Borriskane to Kilcormac. 2+2 and standard DC from Tullamore to Mulingar. 2+2 from Mullingar to Navan and motorway from Navan to the M1. This would then mean that an orbital is done and all the largest towns in the country are connected with a decent road.

I will draw a map.

Forget about upgrades to the n52:(. The days of building half arsed roads are over. the reason for the push on this new motorway is the fact that it is a ppp. there are several spanish and other european contactors who are gagging to get their hands on new irish motorway projects. plus they have the finance to follow through. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

any takers on the official naming convention?:rolleyes:

I am going with M40 (as there is no n40!);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It would be the M9 and/or the M51 most likely.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Advertisement