Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making money online?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Mick I actually think we know each other.

Did you train in Flex in teh good old days of John and Gerry O'G ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Hammertime wrote: »
    Mick I actually think we know each other.

Did you train in Flex in teh good old days of John and Gerry O'G ?

When flex was on frederick st or talbot st? I owned it for a while when it was called body systems on fred st. Poor old george bought it off otis but didn't know the landlord was owed a fortune by otis... You probably do know me, there isn't to many petrol stations I pass by, I should start buying it off you in bulk ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Mickk wrote: »
    Yea alibaba, again its the beauty of my products. How wrong can you go in pouring iron into a cast and then painting it? I would never dream of buying anything like treadmills or anything technical over there, the chinese are a nightmare for making promises they have no hope or intention of doing, they are basically yes people. I think the they took the phrase the customer is always right too literally and just agree with whatever you say...
    Even for the more technical weights machines I buy them from the states to be safe.

Best thread i've read on this forum so far.....Very interesting read and congrats Mickk..........
    You should have got the Apprentice gig before Bill C.....!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

Excellant thread and great information.

Just wondering Mickk, when you deal with the States how does it work. Do you arrange to pay VAT and Customs duty or do you take a chance that your items might not be stopped. How do you find out what customs is due.

Have seen ure Hummer around Camden street plenty of times. Defo a great marketing tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

At a guess I'd say a container load of gym equipment is going to be stopped. At least I'd hope so anyway.

• Advertisement

Mickk, I meant to ask you, how do you stay innovative and competitive in your market? Do you have exclusivity agreements in place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭elgransenor

Mickk, I meant to ask you, how do you stay innovative and competitive in your market? Do you have exclusivity agreements in place?

There is no barrier to entry to anybody else selling similar equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

From what I gather of Mickk through Boards and from buying from him in the past there is no way to stay innovative in the supply of gym equipment. (Can you truly be innovative in marketing anymore?) It's a simple concept, 100kgs stays 100kgs. The big thing that he has going for him is his experience and the value he can add to a transaction. There's a lot of newb's out there when it comes to gym equipment and someone that takes even 5 mins to go over possible options through the internet is going to get a lot more business than a faceless website that has order only facilities. He also has word of mouth going for him in my opinion, I've recommended his website to friends who've in turn recommended other friends.

There is no barrier to entry to anybody else selling similar equipment.

Thanks for that Mickk. :rolleyes:

Excellant thread and great information.

Just wondering Mickk, when you deal with the States how does it work. Do you arrange to pay VAT and Customs duty or do you take a chance that your items might not be stopped. How do you find out what customs is due.

Have seen ure Hummer around Camden street plenty of times. Defo a great marketing tool.

The process for bring in containers is completely different, you don't just hang around and hope it gets delivered! Usually the freight company has a clearance agent you can use or you can use your own. They can log onto a customs computer system and declare what the value of the goods in your container are and the taric code they fall under and it they are liable for vat. They lodge the money into customs account and the systems comes back with a green routing, orange routing or a red routing. Green means its cleared, orange means the actual invoice and paperwork needs to be sent to customs and red means customs want to examine the container.

Taric codes can be found here
    http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds/cgi-bin/tarsect?ProdLine=00&Type=&Action=1&Lang=EN&SimDate=20081114&YesNo=1&Indent=-1&Flag=1&Test=tarsect&Periodic=0&Download=0&Taric=&taric=Browse&Country=
    &Day=14&Month=11&Year=2008

• Advertisement

I love lifting weights and have been doing it for years (although a lot less lately with all the work!) and am very aware of any advancements in the industry. To be honest tho the products have been around for years, its just a good product at a good price, there is room for everyone in most businesses. I probably only have a 10% share of the market as it is anyway.

What I have found to my advantage is the fact that I have such a wide selection and some rare products. Even if I don't make alot of money having the rare small things, its good for word of mouth and referrals.

No Exclusivity agreements, its only iron and generally the chinese would sell behind your back to whoever had the money, what would you do about it anyway, know any good chinese solicitors?

From what I gather of Mickk through Boards and from buying from him in the past there is no way to stay innovative in the supply of gym equipment. (Can you truly be innovative in marketing anymore?) It's a simple concept, 100kgs stays 100kgs. The big thing that he has going for him is his experience and the value he can add to a transaction. There's a lot of newb's out there when it comes to gym equipment and someone that takes even 5 mins to go over possible options through the internet is going to get a lot more business than a faceless website that has order only facilities. He also has word of mouth going for him in my opinion, I've recommended his website to friends who've in turn recommended other friends.

Thanks for that man, I have to agree word of mouth is brilliant. I have actually developed a referrals system to reward people who pass on the site. I will start it in jan or feb when I get a load of stock in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭duncanb

mick i am a young guy interested in starting my own company soon.

Can i ask you how do you advertise...what means/types of advertising do you find effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

duncanb wrote: »
    mick i am a young guy interested in starting my own company soon.

Can i ask you how do you advertise...what means/types of advertising do you find effective?

Depends what you want to sellWhat do you want to sell??

callaway92 wrote: »
    Depends what you want to sellWhat do you want to sell??
    service to businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

service to businesses

Like what...We need to know this..Advertising is very specific

business 2 business services...thats all i can say.

How would you go about advertising B2B services in general..?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Just to give you another perspective. I have a blog, have thrown some Google ads up on it. I get thousands of views a month, but I've made only $20 in three months.

business 2 business services...thats all i can say.

Well for a start on a forum full of business owners I wouldn't keep my business a secret :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭jamesy08

Hi ,Mickk,just a fast question,ive a small business,building and installing playground equipment,i have a large 2,000 sq ft warehouse,i work 7days a week,long hours,etc,but the outgoings outweigh the incomings,rates,loans ,fuel,ins,etc,would you have any ideas,maybe on another product,that I could turn over faster,in and out,i can deliver myself nationwide
    thanks Jamesy08

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Are you still using elavon? I've had a few problems with them myself. Congrats on your success

I started in a lockup around 50 sq m while the website was taking longer than expected to get finished (and while elavon completely ****ed me around on the merchant account) .

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Well for a start on a forum full of business owners I wouldn't keep my business a secret :confused:

+1

Duncan, no business is exclusive or has not been done - so tell us more to allow us to discuss and maybe point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭byrne0f56789

The internet is great for good businesses like Mickk's. They provide good customer service and as a result, create great word of mouth.

Does traditional advertising work anymore?

I don't think so. However, as Mickk mentioned Adwords worked for him. That's because people are in "I want information on how to buy gym equipment" mode and not "it's halftime I'm going to make a cup of tea instead of watching these ads" mode.

Should all new businesses build their business model around the Internet?

The internet is great for good businesses like Mickk's. They provide good customer service and as a result, create great word of mouth.

Does traditional advertising work anymore?

I don't think so. However, as Mickk mentioned Adwords worked for him. That's because people are in "I want information on how to buy gym equipment" mode and not "it's halftime I'm going to make a cup of tea instead of watching these ads" mode.

Should all new businesses build their business model around the Internet?

Well, they should look at the net seriously as a sales channel depending on the business. I have a pal who has a great sales/service biz and does'nt use the net - does'nt know how or care. I tried to tell him - but would he listen? NO - its such a missed oppertunity.
    The brilliant thing about the net is more and more people are going towards it to order/buy good and when (if ever) Ireland has 100% broadband this will increase.
    The best thing of all is they are surfing for a reason - researching prices and then there you are ready to pop into their buying mind! Not like radio or TV......like listen to the radio and try and remember when you heard an ad that stood out or made you make that purchase? Its few and far between.
    Can anyone here point me in the direction of a really good write up on Google adwords?

Can anyone here point me in the direction of a really good write up on Google adwords?

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! I need this too!

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! I need this too!

:pac: +2 , +3 and plus 4:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

plus 5

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CallieO

Can I ask what the mystery with google adwords is?

What do you want from a write up? How to use them or more specific guide....

How to use themn, costs, coding, successfull turnover to sales etc etc

• Advertisement

jamesy08 wrote: »
    Hi ,Mickk,just a fast question,ive a small business,building and installing playground equipment,i have a large 2,000 sq ft warehouse,i work 7days a week,long hours,etc,but the outgoings outweigh the incomings,rates,loans ,fuel,ins,etc,would you have any ideas,maybe on another product,that I could turn over faster,in and out,i can deliver myself nationwide
    thanks Jamesy08

Hmm how long is a piece of string... There are so many variables I really couldn't advise, I do often see big goverment tenders for playgrounds and skate parks on etenders.gov.ie. Another new trend that might take off and is along your line of work is this new outdoor fitness equipment. They have just installed 8 or 10 pieces along clontarf strand. You should get them for around 100 euro and sell them for over a grand, its just about getting out there to the councils around the country and convincing them its a good idea in times of recession when their constituents cant afford gym memberships and a council gym would cost millions to build, for a mere 15k from their budget you could set up an outdoor gym which doesn't need any maintenance or staff.

Here is what I am talking about btw for people who aren't familiar with outdoor gyms http://www.tgogc.com/

Advertisement