Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now I'm Running...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

ike wrote: »
    Bagged another LSR yesterday, went out with a guy who is also heading to Berlin, so it was a godsend to have someone there to take my mind off it. Kept a slow steady pace for the majority averaging 5:29 overall for the 32.2km. Picked up the pace with 5km to go and ran at 5:00/km.

Happy enough recovery seems good today, heading out this evening for a very easy run with a mate who's just getting back into running.

Slightly under 70km for the week and feeling reasonably good considerig I hadn't ran in the previous two and a half weeks.
    Goodthat you are back into it. Only realy 17 hard daysto go then it thegood old taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Went out with a friend of mine last night and did a really slow 8.7km in something like 1:05 well over 7:30/km pace. It was her first time running over 3miles in a long time and over twice as long on her feet. She was delighted which was great to see and I ended up fully recovered after Sundays LSR.

Although I did throw in a 3:56 km on my own when we were finished, just to stretch out the legs

I think that as we improve we can sometimes forget that not everyone wants to be a "fast" runner and one person's hill is another persons's Everest.

Yesterday 10.2km just a regular midweek run averaged 5:15/km. Did a nice 15min of stretching afterwards.

Today 16km did a reeeally sloooow km 6:30 pace to warmup and felt really good. Ran the next 14.5km at PMP (4:48) or under. Felt really strong throughout not a negative thought entered my head, just jogged around really slow again to make it 16k even. Best run I've had in a while.

Been using Provon revive after the last few long runs/faster sessions. It may be a placebo effect but I definately feel the benefits. Been really strict with my diet over the last week. Plenty of carbs for breakfast, but vastly increased protien intake during the day/evening. Vastly reduced sugar intake.

Thursday - Day off (although 4hours of walking around Ikea with the Mrs has to count for something!)

Friday:

Haven't done anything faster than a tempo run in a while, so wanted to give the legs a good blast over a sustained run, said I'd time myself over 5k (never done it before). Did 3.2km warmup @ 5:30 pace, stopped reset the watch and hid the display wanted to run on 'feel' rather than having a target, Clocked my self @ 19:41 - which felt good for the most part, felt I was giving it close on 95% effort. Enjoyed that, again don't know whether its the increased protien intake but my legs have felt really good this week.

Can't fit in a long run this weekend, but will hopefully squeeze in a 4-5 at somestage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Clocked my self @ 19:41 - which felt good for the most part, felt I was giving it close on 95% effort.

That's great running ike. Especially when you weren't going at it 100%. What's your target time for the Marathon?

• Advertisement

Thanks rigal - I originally targetted 3:20 but based on the last 4-6 weeks I'd be delighted just to get a sub 3:30, I simply don't have the time to clock in the regular long runs every weekend - but its all on the day!

Interesting... I am doing Amsterdam in October and targeting 3:30 as well. I'm doing a 12 week programme at the moment and did a 5k race in 19.49 a few weeks before that kicked off back in early July so we're probably at a similar level.

You're right about it just depending on the day. I had a bad experience in Edinburgh because of the heat and should have started out slower but had 3:30 engrained in my head after 18 weeks of training..

Are there pace groups in Berlin?

Best of luck over the next few weeks. I'm sure you'll be grand if you can get 2-3 16+ runs in before the taper.

There are pace groups so hopfully I'll stick with the 3:30 pacer up until about 30-32km and take it from there myself.

If I end up running on my own the plan is simple split the race into 4x10km runs and try and keep them even and hockey the last couple of K's.

Its looking like I'll only get one more 20-21miler in, but I'll try for a few more 13-15 midweek runs with the emphasis on MP or faster.

Best of luck in Amsterdam - it getting harder and harder to track everyones log these days, but I'll keep an eye on ya!

Out the door this morning @ 6:15 to grab a quick 7km before my wife went to work, back in bed before 7:00, kids did'nt wake til 9 so got a nice two hours extra.

Ran @ 4:50/km

Brings my just over 50km for the week, content seeing as I did'nt get a long run in this week.

12.2km in 56:10 averaging 4:36/km - Good run felt really strong throughout, getting my mojo back.

First run in the new pair of Mizuno's felt good

• Advertisement

Week so far

Tuesday 24th - very easy 7.1km @ 5:23/km pace - good stretch out before and afterwards.

Wednesday 25th - 16.3km @ 4:50/km pace wanted to 10km @ 5:00 and 6km @ 4:45 but for some unknown reason ran 10K @ 4:45 and 6 km @ 5:00!

Thursday 27th - Rest

Fridays 28th - 15.5km Had arranged to meet with villagerunner halfway through his 20 but he got delayed so I started out slowly knowing he would catch me. Ran the first 5K @ approx 5:10. I averaged about 4:25 over the last 10.5km. My tempo pace his race pace!

Last long run on Sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Last long run on Sunday :D
    Good running Ike. You'll be doing your last long run at marathon pace too? What time are you going for in Berlin?

Thanks Krusty, I don't think I'll do a full 20 at MP have'nt been able to get the time to do enough of them to date. Was aiming for a 3:20 but have'nt been putting in enough of weeks like this weeks so not really pushed about times although a sub 3:30 would go down very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Thanks Krusty, I don't think I'll do a full 20 at MP have'nt been able to get the time to do enough of them to date. Was aiming for a 3:20 but have'nt been putting in enough of weeks like this weeks so not really pushed about times although a sub 3:30 would go down very well.

good attitude ike, you're good for 3:30 and all going well maybe push on in the final 8 miles or so to get close to the 3:20.

Did you ever think about hill running / orienteering as a good combination of the running that you're good at and the climbing / trekking you really enjoy?

Haven't done orienteering in years great fun tho - though about hill running alright its sounds great in theory, but the reality is a different story tho.

Hanging of the side of a mountain/trekking is probably my main passions but I think if I start to combine that with running it will become more of an effort than something I really enjoy and thats when the fun stops. Thats not to say I would'nt try it tho, something like the Gael Force might interest me next year.

Last of the long runs done this morning stopped short of the 32km target ended up running just over 31km, was soaked to the skin and had bloody nipples to boot so had enough.

It was a good run seeing as I over 50km and two hard 16km run in the same week.

The first 25km went well averaged just over 5:00/km and was feeling strong but I reckon the week caught up on me a bit an I pulled it right back for the last 6km averging overall 5:10/km. Very happy with the run was able to pick up the pace to 4:53/km from 20-25km. With fresher legs I feel I can sustain that much longer.

Brings me to 82km for the week highest total by far. Time to start tapering...phew!

Good confidence booster there ike. Happy taper! :D

Cheers been looking forward to it all year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Snap Ike. Did my last long run today. What program are you following? It'll be nice to have a little more time on my hands for the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Cheers been looking forward to it all year! :D

well done ike...i just know you're going to miss those LSR's...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

asimonov wrote: »
    well done ike...i just know you're going to miss those LSR's...

Good stuff outta you Ike,
    Jaysus, I used to think we were on a par but you're putting me in the hapenny place now.

Snap Ike. Did my last long run today. What program are you following? It'll be nice to have a little more time on my hands for the next few weeks.

Thanks KC not following any 'official' program don;t really believe in them, I'm just a middle of the pack runner but training for a marathon is not that complicated, you just need the right combination of weekly runs and keep it consistant. I just need to remebmer to not switch off completely now :)
    asimonov wrote: »
    well done ike...I just know you're going to miss those LSR's...

You know me too well...I might try and run a marathon next year without any LSR's...could be onto something there. :)
    showry wrote: »
    Good stuff outta you Ike,
    Jaysus, I used to think we were on a par but you're putting me in the hapenny place now.

Thanks showry...Right now my 6 year old would beat me at a jog :D

Monday - Took the day off although I probably should have ran a few K's to loosen up the legs. Probabyl just a bit lazy after the last final week.

Tuesday - 10.2K @ 5:15 pace - threw in 3 X 100m strides at the end to really shake out the legs. Felt good after it.

Wed - Was absolutely bucketing down outside so opted for the threadmill first time in a while: 2K warmup @ 5:30, 10K @ PMP of 4:45, 1K cooldown @ 5:30.

15K in 1:14:09 - 4:57/k pace

Good run the intention was to run each KM as close to or under 5:00 and barring the first K (5:12) it all went to plan. Was trying to run like a metronome, got a nice stride going and felt strong, concentration was good

Did't get to run since Thurs, work and stuff got in the way on friday.

2nd week of tapering.

10K @ 4:43/km good run feeling strong after 3 days rest. Hope to have a good week this week before pulling right back next week

Work got in the way yesterday so no running

Today
    16.7km ran 13km @ PMP of 4.48.km or thereabouts, good run and kept the pace really steady. Slowed down for the last 3.7Km had a stinker of a wind right in my face felt I was running backways at times.

8.3km in 41:34 average 5:00/km - regular run just to keep the legs ticking over

Was down in Clare for the weekend so had a few too many on Sat night. Still managed to drag myself out of bed for for 5.2K this morning averaged 5.15/km and cured my hangover!

Just over 40K for the week...less than a week to go now

Best of luck this weekend ike!

I know you might not feel that you've done as many miles as you could have but you're running times are strong and you will be feeling fit and fresh on the start line which is at least half the battle! Look forward to reading your race report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Best of luck Ike, enjoy it.

Advertisement