Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now I'm Running...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Easy 12k at lunchtime with villagerunner average pace 5:13/km, very warm conditions.

Tuesday 23rd - 10k steady run @ 5:03/km

Wed 24th Rest Day

Thursday 25th Tempo

These are the sessions I really want to nail every week so after a week of slow running I was hoping for a good session, the plan was to run the tempo section @ 4:20/km

13k tempo

3k warmup @ 5:20
    7k Tempo @ 4:20
    Splits
    00:04:26
    00:04:20
    00:04:19
    00:04:16
    00:04:18
    00:04:17

3k cooldown @ 5:10 - not that you could cooldown in this weather.

Very pleased with the session felt strong, leg turnover felt good, struggled a bit with the breathing at times but hopefully can build from this and add a couple more K's to the tempo.

Met asimonov out and about grabbing a sneaky 5 miler :)

8.2 km easy pace 5:18/km - won't be able to fit in a long run this weekend so will probably aim for 10-12km @ MP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

ike wrote: »
    Tuesday 23rd - 10k steady run @ 5:03/km

Wed 24th Rest Day

Thursday 25th Tempo

These are the sessions I really want to nail every week so after a week of slow running I was hoping for a good session, the plan was to run the tempo section @ 4:20/km

13k tempo

3k warmup @ 5:20
    7k Tempo @ 4:20
    Splits
    00:04:26
    00:04:19
    00:04:16
    00:04:18
    00:04:17

3k cooldown @ 5:10 - not that you could cooldown in this weather.

Very pleased with the session felt strong, leg turnover felt good, struggled a bit with the breathing at times but hopefully can build from this and add a couple more K's to the tempo.

Met asimonov out and about grabbing a sneaky 5 miler :)

Great running the key is consistency and great to see that all on or below your target time. Dont worry about the first one always takes one or two to get into the pace that natural. Well done Keep it up

Thanks ecoli - I think the whole session was made easier by basically running easier earlier in the week and running this session feeling fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thanks ecoli - I think the whole session was made easier by basically running easier earlier in the week and running this session feeling fresh.

That the key your mileage should be at a comfortable pace and build your aerobic strength but it is them sessions that you will see strength dividends returned and maximum benefit from as long as you are smart about what you do and dont over do it

Couple of Updates

Sunday 8km ran at MP, with my wife working every second weekend I'm really under pressue to get out for these runs what with kids and everything so I may just bin them and get a long run in every second Sunday.

Brings last weeks total to just over 50km

Today 12.3km easy running @ 5:14/km threw in a few good hills to make it more interesting.

Easy 10km

Ran the first 8km @ 5:20/km
    Threw in a 4:00/km
    Finshed easy @ 5:30/km

Rest day yesterday swam a few lengths of the pool and a nice relaxing sauna.

Today Tempo Run @ 4:20/k

3k warmup @ 5:23/k
    8k Tempo @ 4:19/k
    Splits
    04:22
    04:24
    04:17
    04:21
    04:14
    04:19
    04:17
    04:18

1.1k Cooldown @ 5:40/k

Good session enjoyed it despite the pacing was a bit up and down, but the first 4k had a strong wind into my face. Felt strong wasn't as much of an effort as it was last week. Added on an Extra KM from last week, just relaxed into it (Visualisation Mr Peckham, visualisation! :))

10k ran at a very easy pace 5:30/km

• Advertisement

First LSR out of the way 29.4km in 2:38 averaging 5:22/km.

Glad to have started on this really hate doing them! Got through it OK was pretty tired over the last 10km but kept the pace fairly even throughout. Plenty of time on my feet anyway.

Brings me just under 74km for the week, will be more than likely be running in the 5 miler in Dungarvan on Friday evening so will have a relatively easy week with that in mind

5k revocery run very easy pace lots of gentle stretching before and afterwards, feeling all the better for it.

Was rushing yesterday morning and forgot to put my gear in the car so had to swap todays planned rest day with yesterday, dosen't affect my overall plan for the week.

15.3km steady run with village runner averaged 5:12/km overall but ran the majority at 5:00 or under bar the first and last few.

Easy run about 8.3km with 3x50m strides at the end, just to keep the legs ticking over

Just a quick update via the mobile on the Dungarvan 5. Clocked myself at 32:48 very happy with time. Will update properly later, when I get home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats Ike, very jealous :D

Thanks Woddle!

Ok proper race report before I hit the hay. Always wanted a decent crack at a 5 mile time the last time out was in the Kilkenny league and I clocked 34:18 and despite being a PB at the time I wasn't happy. McMillan had me down for a 32:30 so I should be getting close to that.

Anyway as I said I unoffically clocked 32:48 so was very pleased with the time and the new PB. I'm still running in KM's so the plan was to run each K as close to 4:00 which would leave me with something to spare.

Splits were are follows

KM 1 - 3:57
    KM 2 - 3:50
    KM 3 - 4:02
    KM 4 - 4:17
    KM 5 - 4:11
    KM 6 - 4:05
    KM 7 - 4:20
    KM 8 - 3:56
    Last 40m in 6 sec.

Definately lost my way in the middle bit, a bit of a climb and a strong wind knocked me off my stride around 4K. I seem to had lost it a bit around 7K as well with a 4:20 not sure why as it was fairly flat.

Anyway another great event by West Waterford - decent goody bag (Lucozade Sport, Mars Bar, an apple and a decent tShirt) and not forgetting more sandwiches than we could handle afterwards! :D

I'm not particualry training for these events but with the right training I'd be very confident of knocking a serious wedge off the time. Back to more miles over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

good running Ike, I'm trying to convert your km's to miles on the course :) It\s not as fast as I remember. Glad the goodie bag was ok :) That was some warm up for me. I was sweating before I started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good stuff Ike. Building nicely for Berlin....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

well done ike, great run
    always nice to set a PB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done Ike....feels good when you set a PB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great running ike, nice PB!

Monday

9km opted for the treadmill, the weather forced me into this, set the speed to 5:00/km before boredom made me stop!

Tuesday

10.2km @ 5:14/km for some reason really struggled with this and my legs were very stiff - I can only assume it was to do with the change in running on the treadmill on Mon

Wed - Rest day today

Skipped this session last week due to racing on the Friday. Got up to 8K @ tempo pace in the last session so was aiming for the same or more today. 4:20/K is still the target pace

3Km warmup average 5:22/km

8K @ tempo
    4:19
    4:17
    4:13
    4:18
    4:19
    4:22
    4:20
    4:25

2.4km coldown @ 5:25/km

13.4Km total

Was almost dead on my feet after covering 8k at tempo no way could I have added another km. Probably a carry over from racing on Friday night I seem to be one of those people who need a minimum of one week to recovery from a race. Still a good session to have behind me

Friday

10.2km easy run @ 5:17 per km

Sunday.

Second of my long runs stopped after 30km, felt better on this one than the last one. Ran km's 24-28 inclusive just off MP @ 4:50, but completely ran out of steam at the end.

Just under 73K's for the week.

Had to skip yesterdays run due to work - not much of a concern would only have been a few easy K's reovery run.

Today:

10k averaging 5:10/km ran last 2km just outside MP a 4:50/km.

Finishing up for 2 and half weeks holidays this evening so running over these next few weeks will be inconsistant and will be grabbing them whenever I can.

Wanted to run at least 10k at tempo pace but for some reason have been struggling to go beyond 8k so just eased of the pace on the tempo section and clocked in 10k at and average of 4:25/km a bit outside of the 4:20 target pace, but I'd I'll settle for quantity over quality this time.

3K warmup and .7 k cooldown, total 13.7k

Have'nt updated in a while simply beacuse I haven't been running for a while. Was on 2 and a half weeks holidays and simply didn't want to let running get in the way of anything else. Didn't even think about running and enjoyed it!

In terms of training for Berlin those 2 weeks should have been crucial and I should have had at least 2 more long runs done, but being honest I mentally switched off early in July. I simply cannot stand heading out for 20 mile runs . Earlier in the year i was doing shorter faster training, combined with swimming and weights and was really enjoying it and actuall felt in better shape. Spend a week of the hols climbing and hiking in the alps including a very disappointing unsuccessful attempt at summiting Mont Blanc. But it did tell me how my overall fitness/strength is lacking in terms of upper legs and body strength.

My 3:20 time for Berlin was always ambitious but if it happens it happens more realisitc will be 3:30 with which I'll be delighted with.

Anyway back running since Monday jumped back into more or less the same plan as I've been doing all along

Monday
    8.3k just to ease back into it 5:07/km pace

Tuesday
    10.3k @ MP of 4:46/km just to see how it would feel - felt OK threw in a few hills to mix it up

Wednesday
    Rest

Thursday
    Tempo 13.5k total 8k at tempo pace averaging 4:27/km a bit on the slow side legs felt really heavy

Friday
    Dropped the distance down to 5.2km ran at a comfortable pace 10 min of stretching before and similiar afterwards, swam a few lengths and sauna & steamroom to follow. Definately the best session of the week :)

20miles planned for Sunday...fcuking thoughts of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Have'nt updated in a while simply beacuse I haven't been running for a while. Was on 2 and a half weeks holidays and simply didn't want to let running get in the way of anything else. Didn't even think about running and enjoyed it!

In terms of training for Berlin those 2 weeks should have been crucial and I should have had at least 2 more long runs done, but being honest I mentally switched off early in July. I simply cannot stand heading out for 20 mile runs . Earlier in the year i was doing shorter faster training, combined with swimming and weights and was really enjoying it and actuall felt in better shape. Spend a week of the hols climbing and hiking in the alps including a very disappointing unsuccessful attempt at summiting Mont Blanc. But it did tell me how my overall fitness/strength is lacking in terms of upper legs and body strength.

My 3:20 time for Berlin was always ambitious but if it happens it happens more realisitc will be 3:30 with which I'll be delighted with.

Anyway back running since Monday jumped back into more or less the same plan as I've been doing all along

Monday
    8.3k just to ease back into it 5:07/km pace

Tuesday
    10.3k @ MP of 4:46/km just to see how it would feel - felt OK threw in a few hills to mix it up

Wednesday
    Rest

Thursday
    Tempo 13.5k total 8k at tempo pace averaging 4:27/km a bit on the slow side legs felt really heavy

Friday
    Dropped the distance down to 5.2km ran at a comfortable pace 10 min of stretching before and similiar afterwards, swam a few lengths and sauna & steamroom to follow. Definately the best session of the week :)

20miles planned for Sunday...fcuking thoughts of it!

It is only 3 more weeks of training. Then we will winter well. You have put in 15 months of training so give it another 3 weeks.

• Advertisement

Bagged another LSR yesterday, went out with a guy who is also heading to Berlin, so it was a godsend to have someone there to take my mind off it. Kept a slow steady pace for the majority averaging 5:29 overall for the 32.2km. Picked up the pace with 5km to go and ran at 5:00/km.

Happy enough recovery seems good today, heading out this evening for a very easy run with a mate who's just getting back into running.

Slightly under 70km for the week and feeling reasonably good considerig I hadn't ran in the previous two and a half weeks.

Advertisement