Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

That's a very dubious link to be comparing GSJ with. The Raven's terrace right turn was essentially only moved 10 meter's down the road. Would not a better example be to compare GSJ with say the current Roundabout at the Menlo Park hotel?

While it's not a comparison (it's an example of where queues occur) it does actually remove at least one right turn - from Raven's Terrace to Dominic st.
    BTW the Ballinfoyle RAB is probably not suitable for GSJ because of alignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭what_traffic

antoobrien wrote: »
    While it's not a comparison (it's an example of where queues occur) it does actually remove at least one right turn - from Raven's Terrace to Dominic st.
    BTW the Ballinfoyle RAB is probably not suitable for GSJ because of alignment.

Your slow this morning antoobrien. What I am saying is you should be comparing a GSJ with the Ballinfoyle RAB/Menlo Park Hotel Roundabout not a city street like Raven terrace/ Dominic St.
    This Ballinfoyle RAB/Menlo Park Hotel Roundabout will eventually be converted to traffic lights like the other junctions along the N6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The key issue is of course why GSJs are so desirable.

As far as I can gather -- because nobody is volunteering the information -- the main reason is that motorists travelling across the city want the "bypassable traffic" to be taken out of their way entirely, so that their car commute becomes as unhindered as possible.

That's just a guess, incidentally, so I'm open to correction on that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Good design and future proofing, it also works the other way around. If you are driving from Dublin to Ros a' Mhíl or Cliftden you don't want to have to mix with commuters causing tailbacks as they queue to exist at a roundabout.

Of course all of the junctions are "grade seperated" to the N59 so it's less of an issue there.

The whole point of a Bypass is to remove traffic that shouldn't be in Galway city, namely all traffic going from points west of city to points east/south/north (and vice versa)

Your slow this morning antoobrien. What I am saying is you should be comparing a GSJ with the Ballinfoyle RAB/Menlo Park Hotel Roundabout not a city street like Raven terrace/ Dominic St.

No you're (intentionally?) missing the point.

To reiterate, the point is that queues happen at junctions that traffic streams cross.

I selected those two examples (not comparisons) because IWH has posted extensively about them in the past and the city council has explicitly attempted to reduce the number of right turns at those junctions.
    This Ballinfoyle RAB/Menlo Park Hotel Roundabout will eventually be converted to traffic lights like the other junctions along the N6.

All these plans attempt to do is to eliminate an entrance/exit from the junction in order to make a 4 arm instead of a 5 arm junction in order to make it "suitable" for lights.

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    As far as I can gather -- because nobody is volunteering the information -- the main reason is that motorists travelling across the city want the "bypassable traffic" to be taken out of their way entirely, so that their car commute becomes as unhindered as possible.

What about my cycle commute?

dubhthach wrote: »
    Good design and future proofing, it also works the other way around. If you are driving from Dublin to Ros a' Mhíl or Cliftden you don't want to have to mix with commuters causing tailbacks as they queue to exist at a roundabout.

Of course all of the junctions are "grade seperated" to the N59 so it's less of an issue there.

The whole point of a Bypass is to remove traffic that shouldn't be in Galway city, namely all traffic going from points west of city to points east/south/north (and vice versa)

Yes indeed, that's the other side of the coin, as seen by motorists on the imaginary bypass. If they wish to reach parts West, say deepest Connemara, they can happily whizz by if physically separated from the commuter traffic below (I'm imagining this shiny new road on lofty pillars, by the way).

But that's just one side of the equation, and perhaps not a proportionate one (in terms of AADTs and other factors). Because down below in commuter land "future proofing" is also a major issue, in this case the long-term effects on travel patterns etc.

No you're (intentionally?) missing the point.
    No not missing the point at all.
    I am just simply pointing out how terrible your examples were in the context of talking about GSJ.

No not missing the point at all.
    I am just simply pointing out how terrible your examples were in the context of talking about GSJ.

The thing is that none of those are examples of GSJ or sites that are supposedly suitable for conversion to GSJ (far from it), they are examples of crossing traffic streams where right turns cause queues - as I have stated repeatedly.

If you want an example of something that can be compared, take a look at either the junction in Claregalway or Carnmore Cross and compare those to the behaviour of junction of the M6 at Glennascaul.

Just on GBFM there have been 5 new route corridors presented to the city & county councils in a special meeting today. No details as to where the corridors are just that they will impact housing.

No links available yet. Hopefully there'll be something in either the connacht tribune or the advertiser tomorrow.

• Advertisement

The thing is that none of those are examples of GSJ or sites that are supposedly suitable for conversion to GSJ (far from it), they are examples of crossing traffic streams where right turns cause queues - as I have stated repeatedly.
    Exactly - now you are beginning to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Exactly - now you are beginning to figure it out.

Mod

Enough with circular arguments, it's verging on trolling, either way back on topic of bypass.

There's a half-page Public Notice, placed by Galway County Council, on page 33 of today's Advertiser, announcing "N6 Galway City Transport Project, Route Selection, Public Consultation No. 2".

I've had a quick look but I cannot see anything on the Galway Co Co website or the "N6 Galway City Transport Project" website.

Four public consultation sessions are to be held:
    28 & 29 January, 2-8pm, Westwood Hotel, Dangan
    3 & 4 February, 2-8pm, Menlo Park Hotel, Terryland

By the by, I notice that the image has been given a little polish. :) The first line of the postal address has been changed from "N6 Galway City Outer Bypass Project Office" to "N6 Galway City Transport Project Office".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

By the by, I notice that the image has been given a little polish. :) The first line of the postal address has been changed from "N6 Galway City Outer Bypass Project Office" to "N6 Galway City Transport Project Office".

Yay! No bypass! Fantastic! Kool and the Gang to be played on every Jukebox in Galway now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

From Galway Bay FM:
    Five alternative corridors have been put forward as part of the N6 Galway City Transport project.

A new version of the Galway city outer bypass is back on the table following the rejection of the last plan by the courts, including the European Court of Justice.

The proposals were presented to Galway city and county councillors at a special meeting held in the Pillo Hotel this [Wednesday] afternoon.

The next step will involve public consultation meetings which are due to be held later this month and early next month.

In April, the preferred option will be confirmed.

There's a half-page Public Notice, placed by Galway County Council, on page 33 of today's Advertiser, announcing "N6 Galway City Transport Project, Route Selection, Public Consultation No. 2".

I've had a quick look but I cannot see anything on the Galway Co Co website or the "N6 Galway City Transport Project" website.

Now posted on the website
    http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/phase-2/public-consultation-no-2/

First item on the Keith Finnegan show this morning had Michael Timmins from the "N6 Galway City Transport Project"
    http://galwaybayfm.ie/keith-finnegan-show-thursday-22nd-january/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

well lads, got a letter in the door today telling me my house MAY lie within a corridor on one or two options.. what does that mean!?? i could be thrown out of my house??? have i much of a say??would i get paid back for all my costs of house purchase, mortgage costs,,..renovations...hassle from moving?? or get half nothing??? the sh***ty letter is so passive in its words...i had to read it afew time to still discover im none the wiser!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

LillySV wrote: »
    well lads, got a letter in the door today telling me my house MAY lie within a corridor on one or two options.. what does that mean!?? i could be thrown out of my house??? have i much of a say??would i get paid back for all my costs of house purchase, mortgage costs,,..renovations...hassle from moving?? or get half nothing??? the sh***ty letter is so passive in its words...i had to read it afew time to still discover im none the wiser!!!

You'll get market value of the property if its CPOed.

The corridors will be up for public discussion and input so you have some input, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

L1011 wrote: »
    You'll get market value of the property if its CPOed.

The corridors will be up for public discussion and input so you have some input, at least.

sorry but im a little green on this ......where would they get the market value from??? recent sales in the estate? Recent sales in that area of city(even though theres both nice estate and run down council estates in area) or from the average price of houses throughout the city??

Im kinda frightened that if this was to happen, i could be left with a mortgage thats more than they pay me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I'd be interested to find out what the situation is with CPOs where the homeowner is left in negative equity after the purchase.

Back to the topic. Galway bypass has to be built. Travelling from one side to the other is an absolute disaster at the moment.

LillySV wrote: »

Without revealing any personal details or other identifying features, can you quote some of the relevant text?

I'd be very interested to know how they are approaching this particular aspect of the "N6 Galway City Transport Project".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I'd be interested to find out what the situation is with CPOs where the homeowner is left in negative equity after the purchase.

From wiki (i know not the best source)

In Ireland, CPOs became quite common due to the massive road upgrade programme under the National Development Plan. CPOs are also used for rail projects. If one objects to the issuing of a CPO, one may appeal to the High Court.[1] Compensation is available to ensure that the person is restored, as far as possible, to the same position that they were in before the land and property were compulsorily purchased, so that the person is left in the same financial position after the CPO as they were in before the process.
    I
    Compensation rights usually include the value of the property, costs of acquiring and moving to a new property, and sometimes additional payments. Costs of professional advice regarding compensation are usually reimbursed by the Authority, so that people affected by a compulsory purchase order can seek advice from a solicitor and a surveyor and expect to be reimbursed.

This would make me think the poster will be looked after. I guess the "Reject the first offer" advice would apply and of course get a decent solicitor.

They have sent out 300+ letters. I say a lot of people in Bushypark have received them after listening to Michael Timmins on the Keith Finnegan Show yesterday. These letters cover all 7 proposals (5 GCOB and and 2 Proposals in relation to the existing N6). Does not look like Light Rail has got any traction.

Travelling from one side to the other is an absolute disaster at the moment.

That's the ramified multi-factorial issue which is to be addressed by the "N6 Galway City Transport Project".

Incidentally, was it a "disaster" yesterday? My school run was almost completely clear on Thursday January 22nd, in contrast to the situation on Wednesday and today. I also heard that the R336 Spiddal/Barna Road was clear of the usual congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gerobrien25

Incidentally, was it a "disaster" yesterday? My school run was almost completely clear on Thursday January 22nd, in contrast to the situation on Wednesday and today. I also heard that the R336 Spiddal/Barna Road was clear of the usual congestion.[/QUOTE]

Secondary school teachers on strike no Secondary schools open

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gerobrien25

That's the ramified multi-factorial issue which is to be addressed by the "N6 Galway City Transport Project".

Incidentally, was it a "disaster" yesterday? My school run was almost completely clear on Thursday January 22nd, in contrast to the situation on Wednesday and today. I also heard that the R336 Spiddal/Barna Road was clear of the usual congestion.

I think that was the point IWH was making

I think that was the point IWH was making

What effect did the secondary schools not being open have on the evening rush?

None that I could see.

• Advertisement

So that explains it.

I went from Ballybrit Ind Est to parked in the Corrib Center in 11mins at 4:30pm

Couldn't understand how I got there so quick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement