Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lordy if that SHOUTY git really was Peter Sweetman he surely learnt a lesson tonight that will stand him in court some day. :D

Still reckon it was a troll meself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Victor wrote: »
    antoobrien wrote: »
    What with the connolly sisters, that bloke that has stan shields & joe shuaghnessy on speed dial and the stroke fahy we have enough political annoyance without importing it.

Ever notice how the peopl that appear as spokespeople against major projects are almost always not locals?
    Because there is no way that Fahy, etc. would make a principled stand? Do you want the most suited person to comment or just a local person who might have no relevant experience?

Best suited? In who's opinion? Bog cotton in a few fields in Connemara and this guy wants to deprive a whole section of society namely the people of Galway and Connemara from having essential infastructure that we all know is vital. If he had to drive around galway everyday he wouldn't give a crap about bog cotton! He should find something constructive to do rather than being a burden on decent people with real lives to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Lordy if that SHOUTY git really was Peter Sweetman he surely learnt a lesson tonight that will stand him in court some day. :D

Also contra-charter. Come back in a week, Sponge Bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

[...]

If you want to campaign about environmental issues, then I'd suggest you tackle things like urban sprawl which is due to economic greed and bad planning.

[...]

Some farming practices are also destroying the environment - hedge/ditch removal and reduced bio-diversity - gorse removal etc.

In short, there’s plenty for you to be concerned about regarding the environment - just leave us, the ordinary people alone!!! :mad:

Funnily enough, as an ordinary person myself, I was attacked in this forum (accused of -- Shock Horror Probe! -- not being local, or of pretending to be just sceptical rather that outright anti-bypass etc) for attempting to make broadly similar points.

Of course I made those similar points, eg regarding urban sprawl, economic greed, bad "planning" and associated environmental (and infrastructural) pressures in the context of scepticism regarding the GCOB, so the reception was quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm a Meath man
    Get out of this thread! :pac:

• Advertisement

Might that not have something to do with a disproportionate amount of residential development onthe west side of the Corrib and a disproportionate amount of commercial development on the east side? you might look at Galway councillors and the people that elect them for that.

It seems much of the electorate in Galway City and County sees no irony in electing Councillors (and TDs) who are strongly pro-Bypass as well as being blithely unconcerned about sporadic and uncoordinated "planning".

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Is that the same gimp person that objected to some new building at Knock airport a few years back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

SWEETIEP wrote: »
    BYE BYE I HAVE NO INTEREST IN DISCUSSING ISSUES WITH IDIOTS.

Why don't people like you run for election and see what type of mandate the people of Galway will give you and your like to run our affairs for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Is that the same gimp person that objected to some new building at Knock airport a few years back ?

Insulting another user (contra-charter), come back in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Funnily enough, as an ordinary person myself, I was attacked in this forum (accused of -- Shock Horror Probe! -- not being local
    It seems much of the electorate in Galway City and County sees no irony in electing Councillors (and TDs) who are strongly pro-Bypass as well as being blithely unconcerned about sporadic and uncoordinated "planning".

You're obviously not from Galway if you don't know that "the stroke" fahy is neither the FG city councilor or the former FF TD but a county councilor from Ardrahan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Might that not have something to do with a disproportionate amount of residential development onthe west side of the Corrib and a disproportionate amount of commercial development on the east side? you might look at Galway councillors and the people that elect them for that.

In other words anyone pro the bypass is responsible for bad planning, how general of you!. Could it be possible that people could support the bypass because it's simply needed by the community. If people like you were around when the wheel was invented you would have objected. Get a life!

Because there is no way that Fahy, etc. would make a principled stand? Do you want the most suited person to comment or just a local person who might have no relevant experience?

As has been pointed out there are people coming into Galway tell us now to run our bogs for the sake of the protection of the flora & fauna. The polices they have implemented will, due to a lack of understanding of the environment the flora live in and the requirement for cultivation of said environment will cause said flora to die off. With it will eventually go the objection to the western half of the bypass.

That someone is apparently is "the most suited person to comment".

You indirectly referred to me as being a bigot earlier on (I've no problem with that mods - I know what the original statement looked like, and I stand by it for the reasons being outlined). Well if I am then I'm proud to be because, to be quite frank, the people that are coming in to tell us what to do are making a fine mess of it. How about instead tell us the aim and we'll implement it. No wait, that can't happen because the locals can't be trusted to do anything - that's why there are unelected city & county managers after all.

The first 3 people mentioned in the original comment are shouty, hysterical, media attention grabbing types that quite frankly give local politics a bad name. There are people who do more work on their own than the 3 mentioned combined but you don't hear about them because they're not in one of the local papers on on GBFM every other week (I exaggerate on the frequency but you get the gist).

For the people who didn't get the reference about the bloke that has the photographers (from the trib) on speed dial (IWH since you don't know who the stroke fahy is good odds you know don't that) I'm referring to Cllr Padiraig Conneely.

But if they can (and are) making principled stands (the connollys are against the bypass IIRC) why do we need people like sweets to come in and tell us we're doing everything wrong and- the cheek - wrong to be asking to build a road.

Fahy (the county councilor - I knew that would catch several people due to their own biases) is the person the county council took to court for defrauding a scheme that under appeal we found out didn't exist at the time of the alleged fraud (for anybody claiming to be in a Galway person this one was hard to miss for the past several years - even to somebody who's an economic refugee like myself).

With regards to the development the need for GCOB was identified in the late 90s with the planning for the scheme starting in 1999 (apparently after the NRAs roads needs study). It was already a problem then - but then again there's a river running straight through the city with lake providing a natural limit to far north any crossing points can go. As was pointed out in the bypass planning pool thread there was significant development on both sides of the corrib for a long time (before planning for the QB in fact, which is now 27 years open).

The city has developed in accordance with the various city development plans - one of the components of which is the proposed road under discussion. So it's not a simple matter of voting for or against people that have supposedly fostered bad planning. It's also wroth noting that the population of Galway is running at an annual average rate of growth of 2% per year since the 50s. The people need to get around somehow and they need places to live. In this case they attempted good planning, attempted to getting the plans in place early enough etc so that it would make a difference.

What has changed since the 70s (apart from the population of the city more than doubling) - access to cars and a stagnation of other transport options to the point where things like the smarter travel plan are p**sign into the wind (for the record it was obvious that it was needed in 1999, it's now several years past useless). However I'm not going to get into discussions of the developments around Galway, since it has already been done to death in Is the Galway Bypass Necessary? (thread split). It sprouted a wider discussion on the success of bypasses (or rather IWH's perception that they're not successful).

You're obviously not from Galway if you don't know that "the stroke" fahy is neither the FG city councilor or the former FF TD but a county councilor from Ardrahan.

Your clairvoyant skills are not as sharp as you fancy they are.

Incidentally I didn't mention Frank "The Fence" Fahy at all.

Bosco boy wrote: »
    In other words anyone pro the bypass is responsible for bad planning, how general of you me!. Could it be possible that people could support the bypass because it's simply needed by the community. If people like you were around when the wheel was invented you would have objected. Get a life!

FYP.

I think the wheel was a great invention. I have two of them on my bike! ;)

Your clairvoyant skills are not as sharp as you fancy they are.

FYP
    It seems much of the electorate in Galway City and County sees no irony in electing Councillors (and Frank Fahy) who are strongly pro-Bypass as well as being blithely unconcerned about sporadic and uncoordinated "planning".

I'm afraid I have no idea (again) whereof you speak.

But as long as you're happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Folks I fail to see what last couple posts have to do with GCOB, back on topic, the forum isn't for debating personal opinions of other posters

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You appear to have forgotten what you wrote in your edit log. Odd, that....

Sweetman's "million to one" comment suggests me he's built himself up for an almighty fall on the planning issue, ditto him calling anyone pro bypass "idiots"

MYOB wrote: »

For the sake of clarification, if nothing else, can you cut and paste the relevant text, and explain what is supposedly the matter with it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

For the sake of clarification, if nothing else, can you cut and paste the relevant text, and explain what is supposedly the matter with it?

You said you didn't mention Frank Fahey when you did mention him. Its very minor in the scheme of things and not worth repeated denials.

• Advertisement

You said you didn't mention Frank Fahey when you did mention him. Its very minor in the scheme of things and not worth repeated denials.

In fairness he didn't mention him directly but the quote was in relation to electing TDs that wanted the bypass. IIRC everyone asked with the exception of our resident green (who didn't get elected - go figure) said yes, they supported the bypass.

I put in Frankeen to highlight the annoying trait that IWH has of attempting to "fix" other peoples posts - but really changing the intended meaning. In my case it clarifies the meaning of the original message.

Since the unlamented former FF TD is the only one who made it their priority, (and the only person who ran against it was that green dude) it's clear that's who was intended in IWH's comments.

Indeed IWHs current edit comment states that it was meant that way
    Reason: Forgot to mention TDs (and ex-TDs, like the incomparable Frank Fahey)

I see.

Here's the real situation, which though minor and OT, is an example of your ad hominem approach in this and other threads. An approach, by the way, also adopted by a few regular posters that support you at least occasionally.

Last edited by Iwannahurl; Reason: Forgot to mention TDs (and ex-TDs, like the incomparable Frank Fahey)

It's perfectly clear what's going on. You, and antoobrien in the example above, have repeatedly sought to discredit my posts on the spurious basis that I am not a local and therefore have either no business commenting on the issues or else my comments are untrustworthy because I don't know what's going on locally.

So keen are you to find even the smallest detail that supposedly validates your accusation, that you fail to remember that Frank Fahey (ex Fianna Fail TD) and Frank Fahy (controversial Galway County councillor) are two different people. There's even an 'audit trail' that you could have checked properly first, but clearly that didn't suit your purposes.

It's nobody's business on this forum who I am, where I'm from or where I live. Such matters are also irrelevant to the issue being discussed.

Now that it's clear who's in error, and what the purpose of such misguided nitpicking really is, can we please have an end to it? Thanks.

EDIT: link to another example of the "you're obviously not a local" ad hominem approach. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74292959&postcount=136

I put in Frankeen to highlight the annoying trait that IWH has of attempting to "fix" other peoples posts - but really changing the intended meaning. In my case it clarifies the meaning of the original message.

You mind find it annoying, but IMO the FYP tactic is a fitting response to the Straw Man arguments, such as this one, that are unfortunately so common on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭what_traffic

So keen are you to find even the smallest detail that supposedly validates your accusation, that you fail to remember that Frank Fahey (ex Fianna Fail TD) and Frank Michael Fahy (controversial Galway County councillor) are two different people. There's even an 'audit trail' that you could have checked properly first, but clearly that didn't suit your purposes.
    Are you mixing up Frank with Michael?
    Cllr Frank Fahy(FG) sits on Galway City Council. Hes certainly no "Stroke" type of politican.

So keen are you to find even the smallest detail that supposedly validates your accusation, that you fail to remember that Frank Fahey (ex Fianna Fail TD) and Frank Fahy (controversial Galway County councillor) are two different people. There's even an 'audit trail' that you could have checked properly first, but clearly that didn't suit your purposes.
    What with the connolly sisters, that bloke that has stan shields & joe shuaghnessy on speed dial and the stroke fahy we have enough political annoyance without importing it.

In my original post, as can be seen above, I wasn't talking about either the FG or FF Frank, but Cllr Michael "the Stroke" Fahy, whom you don't seem to realize is an (infamous) elected member of Galway County Council.

I could be snippy but I'm going to draw a line under it here.

Are you mixing up Frank with Michael?
    Cllr Frank Fahy(FG) sits on Galway City Council. Hes certainly no "Stroke" type of politican.

That's the one: Michael Fahy. Sits on Galway Co. Co.

Certainly not the very decent FG City Councillor.

Thanks for the correction.

My main point still stands. The Fahy and Fahey clans are side issues.

I could be snippy but I'm going to draw a line under it here.

Thanks. It's an irrelevance.

That you continue to deliberately confuse 'you have no understanding of the issue' (of extreme importance) with 'you're not local (of much, much lesser and which i have never said) and start relying on typos to pretend your way out of something really shows how poor your 'argument' has become.

That you continue to deliberately confuse 'you have no understanding of the issue' (of extreme importance) with 'you're not local (of much, much lesser and which i have never said) and start relying on typos to pretend your way out of something really shows how poor your 'argument' has become.

Sigh. I tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Certainly not the very decent FG City Councillor.

Thanks for the correction.
    No worrys. Yes I agree re Frank Fahy City Council he is a gentleman.
    Agree anyhow tis a side issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Have you all finished?
    Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement