Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin-Galway-Dublin Superspin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Right folks... it looks like as Raam's a chicken, and doesn't want to push himself ( :) ),

That almost made me change my mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

kenmc wrote: »
    bear in mind that by starting at 2am you're already going to be sleepdeprived, basically you're going to be up all (most) of friday, maybe a couple of hours of kip from 9-1 or something friday nite and then you're looking to push your body to it's extremes; just be very careful - you're looking at the best part of 2 days awake, PLUS 400km of cycling.... I dunno if I'd be able to do either in isolation, never mind together!

I aim to be in bed by 7 or so on Friday.

In terms of effort etc, I think it'll be a little harder than the W200, but not a lot, simply because of the flatness, and I know I'm a whole heap stronger than I was for that, so I think it'll be ok... though I reserve the right to change my mind at the weekend. (also, managed the W200 ok after having a not exactly early night and a couple of pints beforehand, so should be ok)

Our biggest concern at the moment is the wind -supposed to be in our faces for most of the way out

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Personally, I don't think it's doable in one day (between two successive midnights), but I'd be happy to sponsor you €100 (charity of your choice) to be proven wrong, as long as you promise not to die in the attempt.

Raam wrote: »
    That almost made me change my mind :)

Braaaaak!

Braaaaak!

I stress the "almost", not "actually" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Our biggest concern at the moment is the wind -supposed to be in our faces for most of the way out

Better to ride into the wind going out than coming back, IMO.

Best of luck to you doing this. Would love to give it a go but I've too much on this weekend unfortunately.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

anyone else in? C'mon, stretch yourselves folks (I'm looking at you El_Tonto)

Sorry Tiny, I did think about it but to be honest the ultra long distance stuff isn't my bag. I'd have no interest in doing London-Edinburgh or stuff like that so for me it would be just a long training spin. If I was off work I might consider it, but given that I work late on Friday nights, I'd be jumping into it with no sleep, then spend the guts of 24 hours on the road and the rest of the weekend recovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Best of luck fellas. I'm as surprised as I am jealous. I'm sure it'll be tough as fook but if it was easy we'd all be doing it. Just one other thing to say...chamoix cream:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Note people are more than welcome to come just part of the way- Athlone-Dublin or indeed the whole second half Galway-Dublin for example :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

How did this go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think it partly migrated to the "Saturday spin" thread. More details there.

Blorg should be back soon, no?

mloc123 wrote: »
    How did this go?

I aborted due to injury and only completed 140km -Blorg continued and at last update was in Galway, tired, but ok

Latest from Blorg at 19.39
    Aborted in Athlone, bike wrecked, knees wrecked, me wrecked. 305km in the end. Am not sure this sort of thing is fun. On train home now

Still think it was bloody impressive to do so much on his own... in good weather, I think a bunch of us could certainly manage at least the Dublin-Galway part though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Aye I think we should bow down in respect to you two for even thinking of doing this. Really amazing from Blorg to get that much done on his own.

Back now.

Jesus, just jesus. That was a uniquely painful experience. At the end, in Athlone, 18:30, dark, on my own, all my stuff soaked, knees very painful, bike in bits and faced with at least five, maybe six more hours in the saddle I jacked it in so that I may live to see another day. I just wasn't enjoying it at that stage at all and was a bit worried as to what might happen if the weather turned or I had another mechanical in the remaining 130km or so. Or FELL ASLEEP while cycling :D

At the same time it was in so many ways really worthwhile and despite the weather and sleep deprivation I enjoyed much of the trip out to Galway- cycling in the dark is very peaceful, much as the rain and gale blowing in your face tries to prove otherwise. Tiny was good company and I was sad to lose him after Edenderry (I tried my best to encourage him to continue.)

After Tiny left I cycled through Daingean, Co Offaly which had posters of Biffo everywhere congratulating him "Our New Taoiseach: only one Brian & only one Fianna Fail." Passing through Tullamore at 6:30am the _only_ thing open was bizarrely a barber, apparently busy at work. Dawn broke a bit after Tullamore as I was cycling through the Lough Boora boglands. Watching the clock I had been worried it was not going to at all and was half seriously trying to work out as to whether I had enough batteries to get me to Galway if the sun decided not to come up at all this morning.

Crossing the Shannon at Banagher there was some beautiful scenery and serious flooding everywhere. Unseen before but immediately once into County Galway are the dry stone walls, everywhere, which were continued on the way back in Roscommon.

I'll stick up some photos tomorrow, around the Shannon was particularly beautiful.

Fair play dude, that sounds like one hell of a cycle. Did something happen to the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

2564_MEDIUM.jpg266639-Kola-nuts-0.jpgcrackpot.gifCuckoo_Clocks.jpgfireless.jpg

Still, bow.gif.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Well done guys. Dont be the least bit downbeat about not making 400k.
    Some achievement, especially by yourself for a lot of the way.

Given that ye aim to do LEL and RAAM, you now have a very good idea as to what is req'd. This is something to build on.
    @Blorg when you dragged my ass up Sally Gap you said it gets easier, and it does. This will be no different.
    I have no doubt that it is achievable, especially with a bigger crew.
    Enjoy a pint and take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

+1.
    no shame in what you acheived. you picked one of the winter months to attempt this, with the weather, wind, dark, cold et al conspiring against you. I still think you're nuts, but fair play! What happened to the bike though? just too much crud etc picked up en route?
    If anyone deserves a lie in on a sunday it's you. I'll be down at joeyDs tomorrow to make sure you don't turn up for an orwell spin! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

blorg wrote: »
    Back now.

Jesus, just jesus. That was a uniquely painful experience. At the end, in Athlone, 18:30, dark, on my own, all my stuff soaked, knees very painful, bike in bits and faced with at least five, maybe six more hours in the saddle I jacked it in so that I may live to see another day. I just wasn't enjoying it at that stage at all and was a bit worried as to what might happen if the weather turned or I had another mechanical in the remaining 130km or so. Or FELL ASLEEP while cycling :D

At the same time it was in so many ways really worthwhile and despite the weather and sleep deprivation I enjoyed much of the trip out to Galway- cycling in the dark is very peaceful, much as the rain and gale blowing in your face tries to prove otherwise. Tiny was good company and I was sad to lose him after Edenderry (I tried my best to encourage him to continue.)

After Tiny left I cycled through Daingean, Co Offaly which had posters of Biffo everywhere congratulating him "Our New Taoiseach: only one Brian & only one Fianna Fail." Passing through Tullamore at 6:30am the _only_ thing open was bizarrely a barber, apparently busy at work. Dawn broke a bit after Tullamore as I was cycling through the Lough Boora boglands. Watching the clock I had been worried it was not going to at all and was half seriously trying to work out as to whether I had enough batteries to get me to Galway if the sun decided not to come up at all this morning.

Crossing the Shannon at Banagher there was some beautiful scenery and serious flooding everywhere. Unseen before but immediately once into County Galway are the dry stone walls, everywhere, which were continued on the way back in Roscommon.

I'll stick up some photos tomorrow, around the Shannon was particularly beautiful.

Blorg you want to be careful around offaly the Biffo's dont take kindly to cyclists.

Bah if had known you were in Athlone i would have given you a lift back to Dublin myself

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'll be down at joeyDs tomorrow to make sure you don't turn up for an orwell spin! :D

There's no Orwell spins tomorrow because of the randonee.

+1.
    no shame in what you acheived. you picked one of the winter months to attempt this, with the weather, wind, dark, cold et al conspiring against you.

I'm not that much of a bad factor mate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Twinksno1flan

7hrs 20 mins on my own on 23 dec 03, was easy till Ballinaslowe when it started raining so the last forty was wet but warmer. I stopped in athlone for ten minutes looking for some one and to use the phone after Ballinsloe, next time no stopping and hope for six, its always a headwind to Galway, I've never managed the full journey the other way but i was only 18 and totally ill equipped. I wouldn't bother going both ways as I believe it to be counterproductive to my aims, 1-2 hr races. When I arrived in Lucan I couldn't find the old road as it was one way heading for Dublin so I cycled twenty miles on the motor way. No one knew what I meant when I asked for the old road. The Police helicopter turned up for a look but decided I wasn't worth the bother, I didn't care as all I wanted was a good time and there was no provision in terms of directions or help to find my way. Enjoy it even though they are not the right words for torture.

I read the first post and posted above, it was a lot easier than I thought beforehand and having a new bike helped a lot, the ice was quite thick in the puddles and thin campag over shes didnt help with the cold. You did the right thing pulling out.

I didn't tell you before but in 93 I did it on an old Holdsworth with very good mavics and with absolutely no training and some of the most outrageous pain I have ever felt I did the trip in 15 hours arriving West side at dawn on the 20 july.I hoovered the fridge on arrival, fell asleep for 5 hours and went out on the bike, all this on 30-40 Major a day. It was great but absolutely stupid to do without preparation.

I'm not sure of the exact problem but I'd used all my patches by Athlone and walked from the roundabout into the centre with my fifth or sixth puncture unmended as all the patches were gone.I met a fellow who told me he would show me where the bike shop was ,i knew there was no hope as it was 10:30 on Sunday evening.The guy was in the window of the bike shop rearranging the display for Monday morning. I did the business with him and couldn't believe my good fortune. It smiles on me a lot you know. The woman in the all night petrol station near ballinasloe wouldn't charge me for the tea and sandwich. People don't believe you when you tell them where you are going and from where you came, it's just to much for them, brilliant .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Lumen wrote: »
    bow.gif.

+1. Sorry to hear you didn't complete it but it seemed like a massive challenge even to read about it. Looking forward to reading the full story when you recover. I'd say you'll nail this challenge in the spring/summer. Hard luck and well done.

A few words on my experience of this is here for anyone interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Fair play to you Blorg.Utter Madness but well done all the same.
    Tiny I got the feeling from our brief chat last nite that once you getthe pain sorted you will be doing it again.All the best and get your back sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Hmmm, blorg hasn't posted since he got back from athlone. Thats not like him. Hope he's all right.

bcmf wrote: »
    Fair play to you Blorg.Utter Madness but well done all the same.
    Tiny I got the feeling from our brief chat last nite that once you getthe pain sorted you will be doing it again.All the best and get your back sorted.

Yes, I will attempt (and succeed) some other time -though maybe not until the weather improves

Ken -I reckon he's just been in bed :p

Ha, I'm OK, still alive :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

The Messiah has risen!

Advertisement