Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin-Galway-Dublin Superspin

Options
  • 05-11-2008 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

15th - 16th November... hoping to do the 400k in 20 hours or so.

Who's in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

15th - 16th November... hoping to do the 400k in 20 hors or so.

Who's in?

I'm in, albeit tentatively, as I am a bit under the weather at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

400k, fook me that's long! What would the story be with rest stops and the like? Is it a pretty flat route?

I might be pub-golfing that weekend, but if not I would love to give this a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    400k, fook me that's long! What would the story be with rest stops and the like? Is it a pretty flat route?

I might be pub-golfing that weekend, but if not I would love to give this a go.

The route is pretty much pan flat. Will probably be like any Saturday spin, albeit a bit longer... I would imagine a rest stop about Athlone (1/4 and 3/4 distance), and one in Galway.

Will be tough, but I reckon you'd manage it grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Too bad I don't have my super light yet, I would have joined you ... not.

• Advertisement

Rest stop? What rest stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Too bad I don't have my super light yet, I would have joined you ...

You can borrow mine. I'm even local (D15) :D

Next excuse please... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Damn - I think I'm washing my hair that day.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Too bad I don't have my super light yet, I would have joined you ... not.

You should drive behind them in your car, pointing and laughing.

el tonto wrote: »
    You should drive behind us in your car, pointing and laughing.
    Fixed that for you tonto, no getting out of it, behind you is our "rest stop."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

MODERATORS!!
    Please have these lunatics committed. First cycling the wicklow mountains in the pitch dark instead of being tucked up with hot ports by the fire. Now cycling to Galway and back just to get a bloody Supermacs! Don't you know there's one in O'Connell street too????
    Ye're all bloody barking mad. Nuts. Loola. Cookoo. One sandwich short of a picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Fair dues for anyone giving this a go. I'd just make sure you have a 'broom wagon' for anyone who doesn't make it back. I've cycled over to Galway, took me about 8 hours. Did the Wicklow 200 in slightly more time and have been on other long day trips. However, the point I'm making is while the first 200 is achievable for punters of average ability (ie. me) I wouldn't underestimate the second 200km. I've been out on shorter rides where the legs just said no more, and when they go they go. As the last 100km will be in the dark you really don't want people in a bad state being left behind. IMHO if you have not completed a +300k cycle relatively recently I'd be wary of doing this without motorised support. My tuppence worth :)

kenmc wrote: »
    MODERATORS!!
    Please have these lunatics committed. First cycling the wicklow mountains in the pitch dark instead of being tucked up with hot ports by the fire. Now cycling to Galway and back just to get a bloody Supermacs! Don't you know there's one in O'Connell street too????
    Ye're all bloody barking mad. Nuts. Loola. Cookoo. One sandwich short of a picnic.

And a very nice spin it was too tonight, apart from my hip and Blorg's puncture... you just don't have a sense of adventure. I think based on your negativity you're not going to be allowed be part of our RAAM crew :)

My sense of self preservation overrides my sense of adventure...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

Do you have a route for this planned? It looks an interesting ride...

I have a wedding over there in a few weeks and am thinking of cycling to it...

Something along these lines would be the route I suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Is 20 hours not a bit much???? whats the goal??? see who can endure misery the most?? Isn't there a high chance you could get very run down and ill?

There you are, 4 questions. I want answers people.

Is 20 hours not a bit much???? whats the goal??? see who can endure misery the most?? Isn't there a high chance you could get very run down and ill?

An event we want to do is 1600km and requires long times in the saddle :)

1. Is 20 hours not a bit much???? 2. whats the goal??? 3. see who can endure misery the most?? 4. Isn't there a high chance you could get very run down and ill?

1: Nope, not at all. L-E-L is 1400k which has to be completed in under 117 hours, so a long 400k spin is good for the legs, and will help endurance.
    2: As RAAM said, L-E-L is the intermediate goal, and RAAM (just to be confusing!) is a long term goal for 4 of us.
    3: I think it's well known that I can't endure misery at all, so it's definitely not me... I think Blorg is the best suited for that (bloody, cheery at all times Blorg)
    4: High? I don't think so. Chance? Yes, but then there alway is that chance with any endeavour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Something along these lines would be the route I suspect

Looks like your passing through my training spin area i can meet you along route say in clara till ballinsloe

• Advertisement

E@gle. wrote: »
    Looks like your passing through my training spin area i can meet you along route say in clara till ballinsloe

Sounds good -the more the merrier!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Fair enough, it wouldn't be my cup of tea. These extreme endurance events seem to me to be more a measure of how mental you are rather than a measure of your athletic ability.

Have you read Ultramarathon Man or heard about that fella who keeps wining the RAAM? Mental IMO.

Have you read Ultramarathon Man or heard about that fella who keeps wining the RAAM? Mental IMO.

I'm going way off topic, but...

Have read at these two links for some view points on Ultra-marathon man...
    http://imra.ie/forum/topic/id/1462/
    http://dailyviews.runnersworld.com/2008/09/how-did-dean-do.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I was planning on joinng as far as Clara as I've relations down there. I can't though as my wife's away for the weekend and I have the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

I did Dublin-Galway-...erm Salthill about a month ago, fair play for trying twice that. It was 237 km from my folks house in south Dublin to my house in Salthill. Weather was terrible especially for the second half, it was also dark after Balinasloe. The route is very flat, in fact the steepest hill was in Chapelizard, I don’t remember being particularly tired at any point, but then it took me 12 hours so I wasn’t going too fast. The worst of it was from Balinasloe to Oranmore which was on the main road in the dark and lashing rain. Traffic was fairly heavy but there’s a hard shoulder all the way bar one 3 km stretch between Balinsloe and Loughrea. Speed limit for that stretch is 40 km/h or something, most cars were doing at least twice that! Submerged potholes in the hard shoulder where a real pain. I also fell off crossing the railway line at Craughwell. I’ve heard of this happening before in races where the tracks aren’t at right angles to the road, but it was dark and I could hardly see the tracks. Luckily I fell to the left and wasn’t hurt.
    Good luck guys!

I'm out.
    I'm neither well enough nor fit enough to do Dublin-Meath-Dublin, never mind Galway. Enjoy the ride and good luck with it.

Right folks... it looks like as Raam's a chicken, and doesn't want to push himself ( :) ), it's only myself and Blorg doing the inaugural boards superspin. It looks like we're going to have some support offered of a car waiting in Athlone for us on the way back, which means there's the option to bail out at around the 300k mark (does that interest anyone at all?)

This is a pan flat route, so anyone that did the W200 shouldn't find it much more of a challenge.

We're planning to leave at 2am on Saturday morning, and are aiming for around 16hrs on the bike, with brief stops in Athlone, Galway and Athlone.

It'll be a challenge, but certainly do-able... anyone else in? C'mon, stretch yourselves folks (I'm looking at you El_Tonto)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

We're planning to leave at 2am on Saturday morning.
    I thought you said you were leaving at 12 Noon on saturday.

I thought you said you were leaving at 12 Noon on saturday.

Changed our mind -want to be back in time for the pub on Saturday!

• Advertisement

bear in mind that by starting at 2am you're already going to be sleepdeprived, basically you're going to be up all (most) of friday, maybe a couple of hours of kip from 9-1 or something friday nite and then you're looking to push your body to it's extremes; just be very careful - you're looking at the best part of 2 days awake, PLUS 400km of cycling.... I dunno if I'd be able to do either in isolation, never mind together!

Advertisement