Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat 2.0 tdi 08 question.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

bazz26 wrote: »
    Also the UK only recently gained the Highline model we have here.

Which also only has manual A/C - Dual Zone Climate is a cost option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Extras like satnav, etc are very expensive over here due to being subject to VRT, so most people don't order them on cars the size of a Golf. Also due to VRT manufacturers had to strip some models down to the minimum spec over here to keep them within a certain price bracket.

That doesn't mean that I have to like, or buy an Irish spec car ;)

Actually, we bought that Golf to use for driving holidays on the continent, so the metric measurements make even more sense in NL, DE, AT, and I.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Forgive my ignorance but what's DSG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

finbarrk wrote: »

An auto box with a manual shift option. VW's one is rather good with the dual clutch system.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Type 17 wrote: »
    That doesn't mean that I have to like, or buy an Irish spec car ;)

Of course but it goes a long way to explain why Irish spec cars can be pretty bare.

• Advertisement

As mentioned, it's a manual box with twin automatically-changed clutches. It's also the making of any car! - absolutely brilliant to drive, with all the advantages of a manual and all the advantages of an auto and none of the bad bits.

Wikipedia on DSG

Of course but it goes a long way to explain why Irish spec cars can be pretty bare.

Indeed, and goes a long way to explaining why VRT is a badly-thought out tax and makes cars sold here less safe*

*Many Irish-market models are missing side airbags that are standard in other markets (they are optional here, but their cost is subject to VRT).

*On my own (UK) car, ESP came as standard, but in 2004 in Ireland it was a €700 option :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 the airbag man

very easy way to find out is take the 17 digit vin number at the bottom left corner of the front windscreen, also stamped on to the firewall, which is the metal wall behind the engine as you look in under the bonnet while standing at the front bumper and ring your local main vw dealer.......... ask for the storeman who should be able to tell you straight away unless he`s thick.
    while your at it take the reg number too and do a hpi check on the car before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm looking at one of these tomorrow. The guy selling it tells me that its 140 bhp. Would this be correct or can I check it out anywhere on the car or the logbook? Also how much would it cost to get a towbar fitted?
    Thanks.

Edit: old thread. No point answering

Advertisement