Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat 2.0 tdi 08 question.

Options
  • 04-11-2008 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at one of these tomorrow. The guy selling it tells me that its 140 bhp. Would this be correct or can I check it out anywhere on the car or the logbook? Also how much would it cost to get a towbar fitted?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

finbarrk wrote: »
    I'm looking at one of these tomorrow. The guy selling it tells me that its 140 bhp. Would this be correct or can I check it out anywhere on the car or the logbook? Also how much would it cost to get a towbar fitted?
    Thanks.

If its a 2.0 it should be 138bhp,this will be in kw on the data sticker (one in boot under carpet and other in logbook) 140 should be around 105kw or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah they came in 140bhp and 170bhp. The 170bhp version of the 2.0 TDi pretty rare though.

Incidently I drove a 2.0 TDi (140bhp) Passat recently and to be honest I was disappointed by it. Very narrow power band, you kind of got all the power in one go and it was a bit noisy too compared to my own diesel car.

Though if it is 08 then it might be the new common rail TDi which is alot more refined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

bazz26 wrote: »
    Though if it is 08 then it might be the new common rail TDi which is alot more refined.

The CR engine only arrived within the last few months in the continent, so in all likelihood it probably hasn't even arrived here yet and will probably be only available for delivery in January.

Incidentally, there is a Bluemotion II Passat coming next year, hopefully we will get offered it this time with the 110 bhp 2.0 common rail engine found in the Mk6 Golf and it does 58.9 mpg and 128 g/km compared to the 136 g/km for the 1.9 TDI Bluemotion which is not offered in Ireland of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I'm pretty sure those 140 Bhp TDis respond well to chiptuning, if you ever decide you need more oomph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Thanks.

Re;Towbar - up to 400 fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Yeah they came in 140bhp and 170bhp. The 170bhp version of the 2.0 TDi pretty rare though.

Incidently I drove a 2.0 TDi (140bhp) Passat recently and to be honest I was disappointed by it. Very narrow power band, you kind of got all the power in one go and it was a bit noisy too compared to my own diesel car.

Funny that - the power band is at least twice as wide as it was in the 1.9 units.

OP - you'd be better off going for a 07 Passat 2 litre TDi for €20,000. Save a few bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

I have the 2.0tdi 140bhp DSG and its a pleasure to drive. Before this I had an Audi A6 1.9tdi and there is no comparison. Maybe the gearbox helps but the acceleration is wonderful and its extremely quiet.. I know its only 6 months old but so far so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

Biro wrote: »
    OP - you'd be better off going for a 07 Passat 2 litre TDi for €20,000. Save a few bob.

i got mine for €18450 so there is better value out there than that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

It cost's around €450 for towbar and fitting. You can get the towbar a lot cheaper by haggling when you are buying a car. I got a towbar supplied and fitted for €100 on a mazda6 that I bought even though the dealer wanted €450. That is assuming that you are buying the car at a garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

It's definitely a 138bhp but advertised as 140 as with most VAG 2.0L TDI engines. My 170bhp (actually 168bhp) A3 is the new common-rail engine and that was only introduced from September 08 in the UK so it's unlikely that the 08 Passat is a CR engine. The CR engines are quieter and give slightly better economy and lower emissions.

The 2.0L TDI engines are far superior to the 1.9L in terms of power bands but in a car the size and weight of a Passat the 140bhp 2.0L TDI won't feel powerful.

I'm no expert but I did my research when looking to buy my A3 earlier this year.

Cork4ever wrote: »
    i got mine for €18450 so there is better value out there than that

UK one? What km's on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The passat I'm looking at is a UK import. I am trading an 06 Avensis basic 1.6 petrol, 61.000 kms. He is asking for €9,750 which I think is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

Seems to be a fair enough price. It depends on the spec and the milage. They are fetching around the 10,500GBP (E13,041 @todays exchange rate) on the autotrader and between 8 or 9 sometimes less at the British Car Auctions Which I attend on a regular basis. And the VRT on a comfortline model is around 6,876EURO

He says its the 'sport' model. How will I be able to tell if it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

It should say it on the log book. What is the reg on it. Go to www.cartell.ie and just type it in and it will tell you make model and colour Bhp etc etc for free . I would also strongly recommend spending the extra 35euros to see if it has ever been in an accident or if there is finance still on her or worse yet if its stollen. I have nearly been caught a few times and this saved my bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

It'll have 3 stripes down the side of the doors. :D

Sorry, I don't know. Having sports seats might be a clue but it's not a definite as anyone can retro-fit those.

Also can the speedomoter clock be changed to kms as it's from the UK I presume it will be in miles.

Also can the speedomoter clock be changed to kms as it's from the UK I presume it will be in miles.

Yes but, it will be very expensive and will de-value your car as it makes it very difficult to prove that the mileage is genuine.

People are going to know it's an import anyway, changing the clocks isn't going to change that and dealers won't want to know come resale time if you go to the hassle of changing the clocks. Mph speedos have had km/h on them for as long as I can remember anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

It should say it on the V5 cert. It also has sports seats and nice monaco alloys, Front fogs and some have rain sensor wipers. Nice car but with sports suspension dunno if it's suited to the Irish roads?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Moanin wrote: »
    It should say it on the V5 cert. It also has sports seats and nice monaco alloys, Front fogs and some have rain sensor wipers. Nice car but with sports suspension dunno if it's suited to the Irish roads?

good point!
    The sports suspension will shake the car asunder on these Irish Roads :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

I have a 2.0 TDI Passat, new since September. Spec says it is 140 bhp.

Got a towbar and wiring harness fitted for €350 from Murray Towbars in Cork. First time I drove it with the trailer and light board fitted I noticed a bleep/bleep sound every time I put on the indicators. Thought it was a fault in the installation, but apparently it's intention is to remind you that you are 'towing a load'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I have a UK-import 2004 Golf (coincidentally, a 2.0 TDI with 140 bhp and DSG) and I got the dealer to change the measurements to metric on the instruments - odometer, trip computer, built-in satnav are all in km & fuel consumption is in l/100km.

Odometer reading is still fine for resale value, as all that was changed was the country code setting (from UK to Europe) - if it is changed back, the distance will turn back into miles.

Obviously, the speedo dial still has MPH around the outside, but I've got used to reading the km/h scale inside the mph scale.

Or buy an Irish one!

Biro wrote: »
    Or buy an Irish one!

The spec will be inferior...

Type 17 wrote: »
    I have a UK-import 2004 Golf (coincidentally, a 2.0 TDI with 140 bhp and DSG) and I got the dealer to change the measurements to metric on the instruments - odometer, trip computer, built-in satnav are all in km & fuel consumption is in l/100km.

Funny you should say that, the first thing we did when we got a new car in July was get the dealer to change all the measurements from km to miles(since it naturally has a km/h speedo), so we'd know how far we've travelled and what the fuel consumption etc actually was.

Only took about 5 seconds to do actually, maybe this could satisfy the OP. I know with BMW and VAG cars you can switch over to miles from km and vice versa pretty quickly, and you can do it with both km/h and mph speedos. Dunno why you'd want to change the odometer, trip computer etc to km though.

What is a benefit of the km/h speedo is that the speeds in km/h are much easier to read, but it's no sacrifice really having the mph speedo and besides you'll know how fast you're going in the North/UK too.

The spec will be inferior...

Funny enough the Passat is one of a few cars that actually has as good or better spec over here as in the UK. The Comfortline which is the same as the UK SE has climate control where as the UK SE only has manual air conditioning. You have to opt for the Sport over there to get climate control. Also the UK only recently gained the Highline model we have here.

Funny enough the Passat is one of a few cars that actually has as good or better spec over here as in the UK.

+1. This is only a recent phenominon though, as for years our VWs were of inferior spec. I think it's more than just a coincidence that VW have improved their spec levels so much right before MDL got taken over by VW in Germany though.

Funny enough the Passat is one of a few cars that actually has as good or better spec over here as in the UK. The Comfortline which is the same as the UK SE has climate control where as the UK SE only has manual air conditioning. You have to opt for the Sport over there to get climate control. Also the UK only recently gained the Highline model we have here.

Fair enough, but that is the first time I've ever heard of that - when I was looking at 2004 Golfs in '06, I could have have a 2.0 TDI Sport with 6-speed manual box from a good few Irish VW dealers whereas, for the same money I got my one with DSG, climate, satnav, cruise, 17" alloys, heated seats, headlight washers, auto lights & wipers and a full VW service history...

Not saying I couldn't have found one here if I'd looked hard enough, but who would order a car of that spec here with VRT to pay on all the extras? - according to Volkswagen.ie at the time in 2006, a new Golf with that spec would have cost €49,800 new

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but that is the first time I've ever heard of that - when I was looking at 2004 Golfs in '06, I could have have a 2.0 TDI Sport with 6-speed manual box from a good few Irish VW dealers whereas, for the same money I got my one with DSG, climate, satnav, cruise, 17" alloys, heated seats, headlight washers, auto lights & wipers and a full VW service history...

Extras like satnav, etc are very expensive over here due to being subject to VRT, so most people don't order them on cars the size of a Golf. Also due to VRT manufacturers had to strip some models down to the minimum spec over here to keep them within a certain price bracket.

Advertisement