Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama's Grandmother Dies

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

testicle wrote: »
    Not true. You need to be a natural born citizen.

better call off the election so , McCain was born in panama

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm reading Obama's autobiography Dreams From My Father (which is really excellent btw) at the moment and he talks about his grandparents a lot. Along with his mother they played an almost equal role in raising him. His mother and grandfather are already dead so "Toot" (as he calls her in the book) was the last one left. It must have been pretty hard for him campaigning these last few weeks with her death hanging over him. Plus, win or lose, he'll have her funeral to go through with in a couple of days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Pity she passed away but at least when she did so, it was hopefully with the knowledge that he was/is in the lead in the race.

Where ever she is now, maybe she is sharing and holding hands with her daughter and smiling down at their son and grandson.

Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

mumhaabu wrote: »
    May she rest in peace, as has been pointed out on Fox News and else where Barack Obama never actually released his birth certificate and his Birth was only registered in Hawaii, however many theories abound that he was actually born in Kenya, which if proven would rule him ineligible to run for President.
    More lies. Do you figure if you post it in enough places people will start believing it?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 DAN_H

YAY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

RIP
    I so so hope Barak wins tomorrow - its going to change the US for ever. Its really thrilling to see black voters who would never before have bothered voting or have been canvassed or encouraged to register. Hope its a landslide!!

sorry, but you are going to be disappointed, Obama will change noting , all there will be a lot of disappointed people in a few years.

What is so thrilling about seeing racism alive and well in America ?

Blacks are only registering and voting because there is a black man to vote for, racism of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

sorry, but you are going to be disappointed, Obama will change noting , all there will be a lot of disappointed people in a few years.

He has already achieved massive change; he has been such a hugely successful candidate has switched on millions of americans to politics for the first time and they are overwhelmingly turning the tide against the ugly neocon/Christian right-oriented politics of the last few decades. Obama will have made history just by getting this far, his victory will just galvanise it. Claiming he will "change nothing" is futile as he has already achieved massive, tactile change, and you have no evidence to suggest that he won't change a lot more during his time in office.
    What is so thrilling about seeing racism alive and well in America ?

Blacks are only registering and voting because there is a black man to vote for, racism of the highest order.

What a horrible, cynical point of view you have. Has it occurred to you that blacks are only registering to vote for the first time because they finally see a candidate who might not marginalise them for the first time in american history?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

cornbb wrote: »
    He has already achieved massive change; he has been such a hugely successful candidate has switched on millions of americans to politics for the first time and they are overwhelmingly turning the tide against the ugly neocon/Christian right-oriented politics of the last few decades. Obama will have made history just by getting this far, his victory will just galvanise it. Claiming he will "change nothing" is futile as he has already achieved massive, tactile change, and you have no evidence to suggest that he won't change a lot more during his time in office.

Couldn't agree more.
    What a horrible, cynical point of view you have. Has it occurred to you that blacks are only registering to vote for the first time because they finally see a candidate who might not marginalise them for the first time in american history?

That point of view that you refer to, sums up the republicans to me. All negative, stuck in the past and scare tactics.
    If they continue like this with the current generation of people getting to voting age and middle age, they haven't a hope in future. They need to rethink their tactics.

To me this election signals the end of racism. It has galvinised the black community to see one of their own accepted fully as a potential president. It sees people of all races/creeds/beliefs united behind one candidate with race not being an issue.

It is all positive (even if he doesn't win).

The VAST majority of blacks vote democratic anyway (possibly because of the attitude republicans have as shown above) so it is not like they are voting against their own interests/political leanings just to support a black guy.
    Saying it is racism is silly.

It may be cynical but it is true.

Blacks tradiotinally vote Democrat (85%) but the turnout is usually about 55% (see link below)

Today however they will turout in huge numbers to vote for Obama.

If a white man was running with exactly the same policies as Obama then I suspect the turnout would be at the 55% mark.

Sorry folks, but blacks are racist too.

http://www.ncbcp.org/irc/ncbcphistoryvote(3).pdf

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Ahhh, I love people who post on the Internets about things they know little about :)

So... you believe that 'natural born' = born in the USA ?

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    To me this election signals the end of racism. It has galvinised the black community to see one of their own accepted fully as a potential president. It sees people of all races/creeds/beliefs united behind one candidate with race not being an issue.

I don't think this will be an end to racism completely but it is still a huge deal. Imagine the pictures of little black children running down the corridors of the White House? I'm a young guy, and even I didn't think I'd see it in my lifetime. This will maybe become the last chapter in the American civil rights movement.

We are witnessing a historical event, the end of an era and the start of a new one. I'm not claiming Obama is the messiah or that he will solve all of the world's ills, he is just a figurehead for the massive shift that is happening in the US. The american people have realised that they do not like the ugly direction their country has been taking: blatant torture sanctioned at the highest level, marginalisation of minorities, breaking down of the Church/State barrier, widening the rich/poor gap, a very dangerous hung-ho foreign policy, and an overall extremist ideology. The anti-Americanism that has built up in the rest of the world will reverse overnight, just wait for the surveys ;) Today will be a very good day for the USA and the world as they pull back from the brink, and I'm sorry that Benedict XVI and others can't recognise it and enjoy it.

Ponster wrote: »
    Ahhh, I love people who post on the Internets about things they know little about :)

So... you believe that 'natural born' = born in the USA ?

Technically Testicle is dead right. To quote the constitution:
    No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty five years, and been fourteen Years a resident within the United States.

"Natural born citizen" is the exact phrase Testicle used. He never claimed that meant anything in particular. He simply stated the facts correctly. So why the attack?

I don't think this will be an end to racism completely but it is still a huge deal. Imagine the pictures of little black children running down the corridors of the White House? I'm a young guy, and even I didn't think I'd see it in my lifetime. This will maybe become the last chapter in the American civil rights movement.

I agree cornbb....not the end of racism completely obviously but a huge step towards it hopefully. Wasn't sure how to say it right so just said the end of it for simplicity...eloquent like Obama I ain't :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

jhegarty wrote: »
    better call off the election so , McCain was born in panama

He was born in the Panama Canal Zone after 1904.

http://law.justia.com/us/codes/title8/8usc1403.html

It may be cynical but it is true.

Blacks tradiotinally vote Democrat (85%) but the turnout is usually about 55% (see link below)

Today however they will turout in huge numbers to vote for Obama.

If a white man was running with exactly the same policies as Obama then I suspect the turnout would be at the 55% mark.

Sorry folks, but blacks are racist too.

http://www.ncbcp.org/irc/ncbcphistoryvote(3).pdf

I'm sure no-one will dispute that some Blacks are racist but "Blacks are racist" is a racist statement itself, as you are making a generalisation based on someone's race.

Yes, I'm sure millions of extra blacks will turn out to vote for Obama, but you haven't actually suggested any real evidence as to why they will do so. What are you attempting to point out in that pdf? You are just making a bitter assumption with nothing to back it up.

Technically Testicle is dead right. To quote the constitution:

"Natural born citizen" is the exact phrase Testicle used. He never claimed that meant anything in particular. He simply stated the facts correctly. So why the attack?

You call that "an attack?" :p

At this stage I just feel sorry for people like him who continue to drag up what they believe to be facts.

> He never claimed that meant anything in particular.

Incorrect. testicle claims that you can't be born out of the USA and still run for president. He believes that "Natural born citizen" means born in the USA.

I'm sure no-one will dispute that some Blacks are racist but "Blacks are racist" is a racist statement itself, as you are making a generalisation based on someone's race.

Yes, I'm sure millions of extra blacks will turn out to vote for Obama, but you haven't actually suggested any real evidence as to why they will do so. What are you attempting to point out in that pdf? You are just making a bitter assumption with nothing to back it up.

the .pdf shows the historical turnout of black voters, I expect the number today to be greater than before.

Of course I am not saying all black are racist, I am saying some blacks are racist, the problem is people seem to think whites are the only ones that can be racist,

If I were to say it's thrilling to see all these white people registering that have never registered before I would be considered a racist

Ponster wrote: »
    Incorrect. testicle claims that you can't be born out of the USA and still run for president. He believes that "Natural born citizen" means born in the USA.

I must have missed where he said that. I shall read back to find it and apologise when I find it.

the .pdf shows the historical turnout of black voters, I expect the number today to be greater than before.

Of course I am not saying all black are racist, I am saying some blacks are racist, the problem is people seem to think whites are the only ones that can be racist,

If I were to say it's thrilling to see all these white people registering that have never registered before I would be considered a racist

So do you really think its racist to register to vote specifically so you can vote for a candidate you really believe in for the first time? You still haven't produced any evidence to suggest that people are registering to vote for Obama just because he is black. Its much more reasonable to suggest that they are much more likely to vote for him because of his policies, or because of his background in community organisation (fighting for the "little guy" or for minorities who have been overlooked til now).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,153 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jhegarty wrote: »
    That's not true , you don't need to be born in the us to be president , you just have to be eligible to be a US citizen from birth...
    I must have missed where he said that. I shall read back to find it and apologise when I find it.

posts above.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote: »
    posts above.

yeah I read those and quoted them even...what he said is correct. Natural born citizen. That in itself does not mean you have to be born in the US.

anyway...all irrelevant...case can be made that both McCain and Obama are ineligible but who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,153 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yeah I read those and quoted them even...what he said is correct. Natural born citizen. That in itself does not mean you have to be born in the US.

anyway...all irrelevant...case can be made that both McCain and Obama are ineligible but who cares.

no, jhegarty says you do not have to be born in the US, simply be eligible to be a US citizen from birth, testicle says that IS NOT TRUE.

So do you really think its racist to register to vote specifically so you can vote for a candidate you really believe in for the first time? You still haven't produced any evidence to suggest that people are registering to vote for Obama just because he is black. Its much more reasonable to suggest that they are much more likely to vote for him because of his policies, or because of his background in community organisation (fighting for the "little guy" or for minorities who have been overlooked til now).

As I said, if a white guy was running with the same policies as Obama then he would not get the turnout of black votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Very sad that she died at the cusp of the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Moderation note: This thread is about the death of Obama's grandmother. Keep it on topic or start a new thread.

At least we can always rely on our friends ove at freerepublic.com to have a different view of the death as many of them are suggesting that Barack Obama had his own grandmother killed for political reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

EDIT: Apologies Trojan.

RIP

Advertisement