Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of locking bike to lamp post

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

taconnol wrote: »
    Although being female, I'd prefer someone like this to portray me:

kate-hudson-709853.jpg

Ah, fair enough, I didn't realise:o

I'll just claim artistic licence:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

No worries :)

What this thread has taught me is that:

a)Irish lawmakers suck

b)as long as the current pitiful lack of proper cycling facilities continues, I shall be locking my bike to lamp posts (while being mindful of pedestrians) and using Lumen's advice if confronted by angry business men (who, by the way, are generally the same people who give out about homeless people..)

c) Hollywood is calling

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

monument wrote: »
    Better still, consult a lawyer **
    We are talking about locking a bike to a lamppost here, don't you think that's overkill.

"I just killed someone drink-driving" = consult a lawyer
    "I just locked my bike to a lamp-post" = discuss on internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

monument wrote: »
    There appears to be a distinct lack of bike parking around places like O'Connell Street

Amen to that. When they "upgraded" the street (i.e. took away all the beautiful old trees that had been there for more than a hundred years), they also removed all the bike lockups, around the south end, also around near where the spike is, and in front of the Savoy. The lockups in front of Easons are ALWAYS full no matter the time of day. The Council architects probably have some bull**** about not wanting "clutter" in their newly designed street, but of course bottom line is that the bikes end up being locked to lamposts and young trees all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Keep locking them to lamp posts,apart from being a trip hazard when they fall over i just love bending their wheels,puts a smile on my face:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

flickerx wrote: »
    Amen to that. When they "upgraded" the street (i.e. took away all the beautiful old trees that had been there for more than a hundred years).

Off topic, but those trees were actually dying and wouldn't last a few more years. My zealous tree loving girlfriend went nuts when they cut them down and went and investigated.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Did you deliberately omit the RoTR?

No, I didn't, just forgot at the time of posting... does it contain anything on bicycle parking?
    BTW A quick search on citizensinformation.ie revealed nothing to me on the topic at hand.

Yeah, it does however contain pages on parking referring to motorist (which leads me to further believe such laws are only aimed at motorists.
    blorg wrote: »
    We are talking about locking a bike to a lamppost here, don't you think that's overkill.

I said that was "a general comment on the posting of sections of acts"... I also noted: "Not that any of my post above matters as it is highly unlikely to end in court in the first place". :)
    Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    Keep locking them to lamp posts,apart from being a trip hazard when they fall over i just love bending their wheels,puts a smile on my face:D

If you're not joking, I hope to add you to the list of people who I've helped got detained/arrested for abusing bicycles. :pac:

The last two were just looking for it... although they were extremely foolishly... they were dragging and bouncing the bike around towards a Garda station, passing at least two Garda CCTV cameras, and ending up flinging the bike out on the road while two Garda were running up behind them from the station a mere meters away. Their foolishness was quite bemusing and amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

taconnol wrote: »
    a)Irish lawmakers suck

I dunno, it's quite impressive that they used the word "autobus" in a piece of 1997 legislation.

"Autobus driver, your dramatic manoeuvre almost unseated me from my mechanical horse! You cad!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Ok, wearing my tin-foil hat, now I think where we're at is that parking at lamp posts might be illegal (although I accept there is some valid basis for argument against) but the powers-that-be don't want to hassle people over it as then they'd be under pressure to provide proper cycle parking facilities where they're needed.

So, as usual, we get an 'Irish' solution.

Advertisement