Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Today: Mini tempo 10k run.
    I won't get to run later, due to some work and dinner stuff, so decided to pick up the pace for today's lunch run. The wind wasn't playing ball though and hampered my best efforts to keep a consistent pace. Still, the overall pace was pretty good for a second session in three days, so I'll count it as a mini-tempo run. The area is really great for running, with lots of entirely unused cycle tracks around the place and the flat surface of the canal paths, though unusually I encountered four vehicles on the canal path (using it as a shortcut to get to the Grange Castle Industrial Estate).

Summary: 10k in 39:44, @6:31/mile, HR=161

with a few miles easy at either side that would be a steady state run on mcmillans half marathon plan...will be doing lots of these (8-10 miles) when this 10k program is over.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today: 10.5 easy road/trail run
    It felt like I hadn't been up in my hills for months, so despite a strong swirling wind and yesterday's long'ish trail run, I headed for my local trails. Holy crap that wind was strong, but as I wasn't in a hurry (the slower the better) it didn't bother me too much. I headed up Mine Hill Lane, and with the wind behind me for a change I pushed on to the top of the smelting tower, taking the hill really slowly and I stuck the that nice easy pace up the rest of the hill climbs too instead of trying to charge up them as I would usually do. I did a quick loop over the scalp and then on to Carrigologan, pausing only momentarily to take a glimpse of the ever-impressive view, before heading back via the road, having run 10+ miles instead of the planned 7. A wonderful run. I may slow down some day, but as long as I can still climb these hills, I will be a happy man.

Summary: 10.4 miles in 1:34, @9:26/mile, HR=137

Today: 5 Mile easy run
    Todays' run had more in common with sky-diving than running, with the violence of the wind gusts. Decided to run across the wind, to have a more regular easy pace, but even then, on the open roads over the N7 towards Tallaght the force of the wind was nothing short of impressive. Tomorrow's interval session is going to be horrific if this keeps up.

First run out for the replacement 405. I've had the same watch now since the start of 2008 (the HR monitor has been replaced three times, the USB ANT stick twice, and the watch once). I'm like one of those kids who needs to have his mittens tied on by a piece of string.
    Summary: 5 miles in 40 mins, @7:52/mile, HR=around 135 (playing silly buggers).

Tonight: 1 x 2 Miles + 4 x 1 Mile @10K pace
    Late night at a gig in the O2 last night, with a nice rake of pints too, and feck all sleep, and all plans to do this 10k workout were being throw to the wind. But, the one thing in absence this evening was wind, so I figured I should make the most of it. A 2.5 mile warm-up, and I was in bits. Knackered, shaky legs. Time to pack up and change plans. I'll do the session tomorrow instead. Something, a glimmer of hope maybe, made me stick it out. I'll do the first interval, see how it goes. If I screw-up, I can reset and start tomorrow instead.

First interval was 2 miles at 10k pace (5:45/mile). Felt awful, but just stuck with it, and kept plugging away. Found it very tough, wrecked afterwards. Close eyes, stumble, nausea, recover, easy jog, 5 minute recovery, start over. Next, 1 mile at 5:45, stumble, close eyes, nausea, recover, repeat. 1 mile, nausea, recover.. 1 mile, nausea, recover. Last mile, nausea, recover.. Collapse.

Intervals:
    2 Miles in 11:29 @5:44, HR=160
    4 x 1 Mile: @5:44. HR=159

Found this really tough, but I'm hoping it's down to a late night, and lots of beer. But I stuck it out, and it's done.

Total: 11 miles + 1 x tired clown.

Today: 5 mile very easy recovery run
    Still tired after last night's session and beginning to wonder if my planned 10k pace might be a little too fast for my current fitness, but I've made it through three weeks, so I'll stick with it for the time being. Marathon pace is going to feel easy after all of this.

Today, just headed to the park at lunch-time on another blustery day (made the right choice to do my intervals yesterday), and took it handy around the park at a nice easy pace, while the swallow's flew loops around myself and Keith123. A man could get paranoid, with these birds missing us narrowly. I'll be keeping an eye out on my way home, in case they decide to follow me. Stalker-birds...

Summary: 5 miles in 43 mins, @8:35/mile, HR=125

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Late night at a gig in the O2 last night

Roger Waters.........feck ye anyway. I couldnt go due to work commitments. Gutted. Heard it was crap(he says grasping at straws).

tunguska wrote: »
    Roger Waters.........feck ye anyway. I couldnt go due to work commitments. Gutted. Heard it was crap(he says grasping at straws).
    One of my buddies said it was the best concerts he was ever at. I'd have to agree, it was right up there. One word: Incredible. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

One of my buddies said it was the best concerts he was ever at. I'd have to agree, it was right up there. One word: Incredible. Sorry!

Thanks, that made me feel even better. The only upside is that the Wall is my least favourite out of the run of 4 great albums they did back to back. Now had I missed Roger doing Darkside...........24hr suicide watch.

Thanks, that made me feel even better. The only upside is that the Wall is my least favourite out of the run of 4 great albums they did back to back. Now had I missed Roger doing Darkside...........24 suicide watch.
    The thing about The Wall on tour though, is that it's more than just the music. It's a rock opera and a massive extravaganza and perfect in a venue like the O2 (which I don't really like), the whole thing was just mesmerizing. Undoubtedly not one of the better albums, but what an occasion.

But it was windy and wet when we left, so you were better off giving it a miss. and pints were €6. and there was a queue for the toilets.. Nah it was crap.. Does that help? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭aero2k

Summary: 5 miles in 43 mins, @8:35/mile, HR=125
    That's my kind of easy run! Hope you're not going all soft now.:)

• Advertisement

aero2k wrote: »
    That's my kind of easy run! Hope you're not going all soft now.:)
    Haha! Soft? Never!

Lunchtime: 5 miles, nice and easy around the canal. Nice handy (soft!) pace, to make sure the recovery was complete from Tuesday's session. Everything feeling good again.
    Summary: 5 miles in 38 mins, @7:42/mile, HR=134

Evening: 7 miles of hill climb repeats
    Headed to my local climbing hill (1km long, 100m climb) and did 3 long steady hill climbs, followed by three short fast hill climbs (240m). The long ones didn't feel too bad, which is a good sign, as they were quite tough the last time I hit this hill. Will continue to work on the hill climbing for the next few weeks, and try and keep them going over the summer.
    Summary: 7 miles in 55 mins, HR=149

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Tonight: 1 x 2 Miles + 4 x 1 Mile @10K pace
    Late night at a gig in the O2 last night, with a nice rake of pints too, and feck all sleep, and all plans to do this 10k workout were being throw to the wind. But, the one thing in absence this evening was wind, so I figured I should make the most of it. A 2.5 mile warm-up, and I was in bits. Knackered, shaky legs. Time to pack up and change plans. I'll do the session tomorrow instead. Something, a glimmer of hope maybe, made me stick it out. I'll do the first interval, see how it goes. If I screw-up, I can reset and start tomorrow instead.

First interval was 2 miles at 10k pace (5:45/mile). Felt awful, but just stuck with it, and kept plugging away. Found it very tough, wrecked afterwards. Close eyes, stumble, nausea, recover, easy jog, 5 minute recovery, start over. Next, 1 mile at 5:45, stumble, close eyes, nausea, recover, repeat. 1 mile, nausea, recover.. 1 mile, nausea, recover. Last mile, nausea, recover.. Collapse.

Intervals:
    2 Miles in 11:29 @5:44, HR=160
    4 x 1 Mile: @5:44. HR=159

Found this really tough, but I'm hoping it's down to a late night, and lots of beer. But I stuck it out, and it's done.

Total: 11 miles + 1 x tired clown.

You got it done Krusty...thats the main thing...you are a resiliant clown all the same...well done

Yesterday: 5 mile easy run in Corkagh Park with work buddy. A small bit of ankle tighness from the previous days hills (more from the downhills than the uphills), but nothing excessive. Nice easy recovery miles.
    Summary: 5 miles in 41 mins, @8:19/mile

Today: 13.1 mile 'recce of WWRelay leg 7.
    Early start, with porridge at 6:55am (what the hell happened to taking it easy on weekends?) then out the door to meet jb-ski in Tinahealy. Dropped my car and headed off to the start of Leg 7, where we bumped into another car of relay'ers (the relay is actually a thinly veiled social function, without any cheese, wine or dips), so we were joined by Mirjam, a cross-country skier from Estonia who was also going to be running leg 7 on the big day. The pace was nice and comfortable, and the first uphill climb slipped by without too much effort. The route was nice and familiar this time, but I kept an eye out for the little yellow men (no complacency here!), lest I face the wrath of the guv'ner, who I felt was hiding behind every bush, shrub or tree, waiting to pounce as soon as I even pointed a toe in the wrong direction.

But I took no wrong turns and the scary one didn't pounce. Nice runnable road section with a few tricksy turns (but I had all my land-marks carefully stored away) and we hit the next climb. I pushed on a little bit, again trying to get a feel for what pace I should tackle this one at, on race day. It feels like a tough climb (feels harder than the first larger climb) but it's psychological, as it's 150m compared to the initial 225m climb. Then we were flying downhill again, climbing, opening or leaping gates as we encountered them, and then finally back out onto the road, where Jb-ski's compatriots awaited his return. But no resting yet. A flat road secton, and then a mean fecker of a final climb, which again feels more torturous than the initial climb (and I'm sure will be a killer on race day) to the finish line/handover point.

Completed the section in a nice easy 1:48, @8:11/mile, HR=141

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

lest I face the wrath of the guv'ner, who I felt was hiding behind every bush, shrub or tree, waiting to pounce as soon as I even pointed a toe in the wrong direction.

Hiding in his bed I'm afraid:o

Well done on another recce, your dedication to the cause is commendable!

Today: A handy 10 miles, looping around Cabinteely Park, while the young lad played his final footie game of the season. Took it nice and easy, and stopped at the car every couple of miles for a drink, to help with the bit of thirst after yesterday's superb day of sport.

It's been a solid week of running, with 61 miles, two sessions and a good trail run, which will all help with the transition back to marathon training in a few weeks time.

Summary: 10 miles in 1:17, @7:42, HR=135

Today: The body was feeling stiff and sore (probably from the extra mileage last week, maybe the extra hills) and when I got ready for my lunch run, the rain was pelting the windows. I opened my gear bag, hoping I'd fogotten my running top, or my shorts (I'm not quite as brave as TheRoadRunner, heading out in his y-fronts). Wait! What's this? Only one sock.. Yippee! Oh wait, there's the other one. Feck.

My radio died within half a mile, so I focussed on total recovery, keeping the running as easy and comfortable as I possibly could and it really worked. After 4 miles I was cruising, nice and easy, and the niggles I felt this morning on waking were completely gone. Sometimes it's good not to have the music with you, so you can focus on the purpose of the run. The rain returned, with a mile to go, and made up for the previous four miles, pelting down, but that actually helps, when you don't have a shower in work. :) Body feeling good again. Result!

In recent weeks, they've built some crazy pedestrian bridges over the canal. Probably cost hundreds of thousands of euro, extremely ugly (bright red) and they don't seem to serve any purpose whatsoever, as they seem to be a long pedestrian loop over the canal, when you could just continue 500m further along the canal and cross at the existing bridge. Hope that's not taxpayers money being wasted, but after the Chelsea Gardens/Diarmuid Gavin fiasco, nothing would surprise me.

Summary: 5 miles in 40 mins, @8min/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Today: The body was feeling stiff and sore (probably from the extra mileage last week, maybe the extra hills) and when I got ready for my lunch run, the rain was pelting the windows. I opened my gear bag, hoping I'd fogotten my running top, or my shorts (I'm not quite as brave as TheRoadRunner, heading out in his y-fronts). Wait! What's this? Only one sock.. Yippee! Oh wait, there's the other one. Feck.

They were boxer shorts :)

They were boxer shorts :)
    That's it, stick to the story..

• Advertisement

That's it, stick to the story..

old, off coloured baggy boxer shorts granted but definitely not Y-fronts

Today: McMillan 10K session: 2x2Mile + 2x1Mile @10K pace

I moved this session up by a week, as I have a big race next weekend and figured this session might be a tough one the same week as a 13 mile trail race. So next week I'll run this week's 20x200m instead. Thankfully this one was a lot easier than last week's tired session and when I finished I was at least mildly coherent and wasn't covered head to toe in sticky mess of spittle, sputum, phlegm, sweat and tears. I stuck to the top of the park (a handy 800m loop). After a 2.5 mile warm-up, quick stretch and I kicked off. The first two mile interval went surprisingly well, and I was almost looking forward to the second one. Unfortunately on the second two mile interval I mis-counted the number of loops (how hard is it to count to four?!) and with 200m to go, I thought I was nearly done. Devastated to look at the watch, and realize I had another loop left. Really upset my stride.

Next up was a mile interval, but I was still annoyed about the previous rep, so didn't enjoy this one too much. Final interval was grand. Glad to have it dusted. 1.2 Mile warm-down and done. Yay!

Average Pace for intervals: 5:41/mile
    Average HR: 161
    Recovery: 5 mins between 2 mile intervals/4 mins between 1 mile intervals

Total miles for session: 11

Today: Just another handy 5 mile recovery run
    Body a little tender after yesterday's session (sore achilles, knee twinges) so stuck to the grass around the Pfeizer plant, at a very leisurely pace. Didn't sleep well after last night's late interval session (too much procrastinating, and not enough running) so this was a laborious affair, but feel a little looser since finishing, though there's still a bit of a pinch in the achilles.

Summary: 5 miles in 41 mins, @8:16/mile, HR=135

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Thanks, that made me feel even better. The only upside is that the Wall is my least favourite out of the run of 4 great albums they did back to back. Now had I missed Roger doing Darkside...........24hr suicide watch.

I.m with you there.
    I was reading on the gigs threads that it was amazing though. Damn you krusty, i.m jealous. Good session the next day by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭aero2k

Average Pace for intervals: 5:41/mile
    Average HR: 161
    Recovery: 5 mins between 2 mile intervals/4 mins between 1 mile intervals
    That's a very impressive interval pace. I was trying to achieve something similar on my intervals but only managed it on 400's and 1000's a few times, anything longer was a lot slower. Maybe I'm just a lazy trainer, or I'm getting too old for this lark!:D

That's a very impressive interval pace. I was trying to achieve something similar on my intervals but only managed it on 400's and 1000's a few times, anything longer was a lot slower. Maybe I'm just a lazy trainer, or I'm getting too old for this lark!:D

Nobody is as old as Krusty! He's well into his 50s

Sean, you're the youngest guy I know, and at least (unlike some other posters) you wear your y-fronts on the inside. :D

Sean, you're the youngest guy I know, and at least (unlike some other posters) you wear your y-fronts on the inside. :D

I'm just like superman baby :)

Today: 13.1 mile recce of WW Relay Leg 7 + .9 mile
    Lovely day for a run in the hills, so I met up with D'pop after finishing work, and did a car-pooly thingy to the start of leg 7. A very nice run, the hills didn't seem too bad this time out. As we hit the downhill at around mile 10, the sun was going down and the view was incredible. Towards the end of the run my energy levels were running low, so I was glad to hit the final hill climb, which also marked my first 1,000 miles of the year. Roll on the next 1K. Wahoo...

Summary: 14 miles in 1:53, @ 8min/mile, HR=141

1KSummary.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

+1 I meant to write this earlier - that is unbelievable going.

Its more than a little depressing that you can take a half year off faster stuff and train for ultras at paces that (for you) are plodding only to lash back into 6 x sub 5:45 mile intervals like no time has passed :). I took 3 weeks off intervals and I feel like im almost starting again!

Im sure you'll say that the intervals were hard etc, but tbh if you didnt have the garmin logs I might have doubted it was possible! Great dedication and (no doubt) stubborness on the road.

Its looks like you are set for a great marathon training programme.

Advertisement