Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Looking forward to the report - have a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Just checked results 4.28. Great running well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done Krusty and emer911 very nice times the both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Congrats! Great pace for such a long race krusty. Super stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done again Krusty...fair play to ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Well done KC looks like you ran a great race. Sorry I didn't get to V&A. You may not have have seen it but the end to this race was pure class (saw it live on TV) With about 4k to go the leader was in total control. Over the next 1.5k he started to die. London marathon was fresh in my mind, I was screaming at the TV - 'lift your knees..... god damn lift your knees' but he would not listen. He was in bits on the last hill before UCT( looked nasty ) and then 2nd place caught him with less than 1k to go - heartbreaking stuff, the poor guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Good man KC! looking forward to the report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

With an early start, I decided to get an early night and hit the hay at around 10pm. I fell into a deep sleep, and didn't wake until 10:20pm, totally refreshed. Yay! 20 minutes sleep! Finally managed to get to sleep again at around 12:30am, and my alarm woke me around three hours later. Damn you, crappy sleeping patterns! A quick bowl of porridge, a banana and Emer911 and I hit the road, heading (we hoped) in the direction of the UCT campus and the start of the race. We parked up in a national school, and walked a couple of kilometers to the race start, before saying our goodbyes, as Emer's race started 15 minutes before mine. With an hour to kill to the start of the race and no sign of any daylight, the mood was a little gloomy; part down to tiredness and anticipation, and partially because of the worry over my quad/IT band raising it's ugly head fibers again. Then in the distance, a group of around 20 runners approached at an easy canter, singing a tribal song. Many of us gathered around, and it was a very special moment, bringing a warmth on an otherwise cold dark and gloomy morning. The singing and dancing continue for around 20 minutes and then I headed for the corrals.

I was allocated to the 'A' corral, based on my 2:48 marathon in Berlin, but definitely wasn't bringing my 'A game' to this race, so moved to the back of the B-corral. The announcer listed all of the countries participating by size, and it was unusual to hear Ireland listed as one of those countries. 17 Irish people were lined up that morning (9 males and 8 females) and I'm glad to say that 17 Irish people also finished the race and all in pretty good times. All in, there were around 1,000 International runners, with the rest of the field (7,000+) from South Africa. The traditional blowing of the sea-shell, followed by a starting pistol and we were off (at walking pace!). It was a slow first mile, trudging through the dark uneven city streets, elbow to elbow, but that kind of suits the start of a long race like this one, where you don't pay for a slow start. Even at this early hour of the morning, there were hundreds of spectators and marshalls lining the roads, cheering us on. After 1.5 miles I needed a pee, and realizing that there was little point in waiting, just becoming more uncomfortable, so I stopped at a portaloo, and watched my average pace drop all the way back down to 8:00, from 7:20 (my top of the head target pace for the start of the race). The only two fields I had showing on the watch were average pace and distance, figuring that it would be enough for this race where I wasn't too concerned about my time. I ran the next 10 miles at arond 6:30-6:50/mile, but it was all very comfortable, at around HR=139.

We hit the coast at around mile 10, and the drab liquor stores and adult shops were replaced by white sandy beaches and Victorian era brightly painted houses. Slowly but surely, the daylight lifted along with our spirits and we hit the half-marathon mark in around 1:32. Not much conversation around the place, as we were really only at the earliest easiest part of the race, but there was plenty to keep the mind occupied. Every race bib (front and rear) carried the runner's first and last name, assigned starting corral, and how many Two Oceans ultras and half marathons they had run. They were also coloured according to whether or not you were an international runner, or had completed rnough races to give you the blue or green badges of honour (20 and 5 races respectively).

As we ran around the ridge of mountains shielding Table Mountain, you could watch the sun climbing on the side of the mountain, and it was an incredible sight. We headed inland, on the last few flat miles, past fenced-off enclosures and gated communities, with 'armed-response' and 'shoot-on-site' logos warning the less fortunate to stay well away from the more fortunate. At this stage of the race my average pace was around 7 min/mile, which was a lot quicker than planned, however, with the significant climbs still to come and the weather getting ever-hotter by the minute, this is a course where everyone runs the first half-quickerm and tries to hold on for the second half.

Drinks consisted of a choice of Coke (fizzy in cups), water (tiny baggies) or Powerade (again in small 100ml sachets). It sounds unusual in our part of the world, but it worked really well. Drinks were provided on average every 2-3kms (a lot more frequently towards the end of the race) so you identified which drink you wanted (by colour - clear for water, blue or orange for PowerAde and cups for Coke) grabbed a baggie from a proferred hand, bit into the bag and sucked. Sure, I ended up covered head to toe in PowerAde, but I drank freely whenever I needed it and there was never any question of going thirsty.

At mile 18, we started the climb up Chapman's Peak Drive, the first of the significant climbs. We had driven this route in the opposite direction a couple of days previous to the race, so I had an idea of the breathtaking beauty of this particular route, so eagerly awaited the climb, despite the growing heat. The drive did not do the route justice. Travelling in the direction of the race route, I was awe-struck. Looking across the bay at the mist coming in from the sea, I was stuck for words, and couldn't describe the beauty of the landscape in words that would do it justice. Filled with joy, all I could think of was how lucky I was to be enjoying this particular moment in time. Climbing this hill, in the sunshine, with breathtaking views, surrounded by so many others to enjoy the experience, I think I will find it difficult to beat this particular running moment, that will stay with me forever. In case you hadn't guessed it, I loved the climb. One of my fellow competitors (who was running his 4th 2 Oceans ultra) was telling me to 'stick with him and focus only on my race' but I was enjoying the experience too much and barely noticed the climb, and soon left my new friend and coach behind.

As we climbed towards the peak (shorter stride, back straight, arms pumping!) the PowerAde baggies were given to us frozen, which was a whole new treat, and a great way to get the energy into the system and cool down at the same time. Reaching the peak I grabbed some bananas, and sadly missed out on the potatoes that were 'so salt encrusted, they resembled eggs' as cphowlin put it (who ran a great race, just narrowly beaten by the clock to a bronze medal, instead of the far less appealingly named Sainsbury medal). Then we hit the downhill, and I remembered some sage advice that this was not an opportunity to catch up on lost time, as it would shred the quads and with the real race only beginning, I took it nice and easy, and watched as hundreds of runners streamed past me, giving me a shout of encouragement as they tipped on by. Towards the end of the downhill, my recent injury sprang forth or else it was the muscle memory of my recent IMRA Wicklow Way ultra, but my quads started to burn and I knew I was in for a tough finish. Chatting to a runner from Birmingham, he told me that the next climb wasn't until approximately the marathon mark, so I enjoyed the next few flat miles but tried to stick to the shade, as the heat of the day started to really kick in. I hit the marathon mark in around 3:12, and started up the next climb. What it lacked in scenery, it made up for in height! Not quite the euphoric experience of the first hill, but the peoples of the town-ships had come out to help us with our own brief struggle, and the singing, dancing and cajoling would lift even the most reluctant of spirits. "C'mon Gary, you are doing great; You look fantastic Gary; Keep going Gary". On and on the encouragement went, and there was no choice in the matter. despite the heat, despite the climb, despite the 30 miles in the legs, the encouragement lifted me over the hill.

As I crested a sneaky second hill (damn you false summits!) and ran through a mist spray, I knew I was on the largely downhill back-leg, but at this stahe my quad myscles were indeed shredded, and every down-hill step was like a sharp poke with a handful of knitting needles. Not helped by the camber of the road, every step was a wincing pain, so I was forced to drop my pace to 8:40/mile on the downhills. I had energy to burn, endurance for miles and miles, but the quads and calfs continued to frustrate me; my only minor dissapointment.

The remaining 5-6 miles were largely uneventful. As we returned to the suburbs of Cape Town, the scenerey became less spectacular, but the crowds and the cheering didn't diminish. I was passing runners in their droves who were walking to the finish, but was in turn being passed by runners who managed to hold their pace better. Arriving to the UCT campus, I could hear the roar of the crowds, waiting to welcome the ultra runners home with amazing gusto. I checked the watch. 4:26 and picked up the pace on the welcoming soft grass, to make sure I got under the 4:30 mark, though in medal terms it did not make any difference. The compére was shouting 'Here comes Gary from Dublin, Ireland, one of our first international runners! Put your hands in the air Gary!'. The crowd went mad! Hundreds of spectators screaming my name, with the compére going mad! It was a very surreal (and slightly embarrasing) experience, but again an incresible one that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

As I type this a few days later (from a log cabin, on the side of a lagoon, with pink flamingo's flying by the window!), the hangover is gone (really enjoed the pints cphowlin!), the sun and heat also has departed, but the muscle pain remains. I would rather have run closer to 4:15, finishing without the shredded muscles, but none of it matters. Two memories that will be with me always: the climb up Chapman's Peak, and the euphoria (some of it mine!) of the finish line at the University of Cape Town.

Summary: 56kms in 4:28, @7:40/mile, HR=144

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Fantastic effort and great rr.
    .....but at this stahe my quad myscles were indeed shredded, and every down-hill step was like a sharp poke with a handful of knitting needles. ..... The remaining 5-6 miles were largely uneventful.

Classic ! I admire your ability to put the pain aside and motor on.

....gated communities, with 'armed-response' and 'shoot-on-site' logos warning the less fortunate to stay well away from the more fortunate......
    ....but the peoples of the town-ships had come out to help us with our own brief struggle, and the singing, dancing and cajoling would lift even the most reluctant of spirits....

Quite a contrast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Great race report as usual KC. Oh, and well done on the race as well:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the race and a brilliant race report, as predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done Krusty it sounds like it was a memorable experience another tick in the box, rest well now for the WWR, although I had to read the section below twice!
    A quick bowl of porridge, a banana and Emer911

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Sounds magnificent. Very well done and well written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

well done. Not bad for an auld fart :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

well done Krusty, and great report.

It got me thinking about the makeup of a 'real' runner. I think it's someone who reads a report like that and ignores the parts about 'shredded quads' and zero's in on 'the beauty of the landscape'.

Once the bank balance is as healthy as I am, I wouldn't mind starting a world tour of some of these scenic races (although I think I'll leave the Ultra's to real men like yourself!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Thanks for that great report, still waiting on those beer reviews:rolleyes:

You will have to try Comrades at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

great run and vivid report, very entertaining well done on your latest conquest KC :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Great report KC it sounds like an amazing place to run around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done KC,great read also...i dont know how you remember all the details...i remember very little from races.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Your reports are a joy to read Krusty, we should set up a Boards fund to send you to far-off races on a regular basis.
    A quick bowl of porridge, a banana and Emer911 and I hit the road,

Breakfast of champions, if a little heavy on the protein:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Excellent race, Gary, and a brilliant race report, as always.

I knew you were really looking forward to this, I'm glad to read that that trip did not disappoint.

Well done to you and Emer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Only catching up with your log now Krusty. Excellent report and amazing time for the Ultra- inspirational stuff:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭aero2k

Wonderful report Krusty, shame about the quads but well done on persevering - they didn't slow you too much!

Abhainn wrote: »
    Thanks for that great report, still waiting on those beer reviews:rolleyes:

You will have to try Comrades at some point
    Definitely will have to do Comrades at some point. This is certainly the little sister to the Comrades race, and this journey around South Africa has really whet my apetite to come back some time and do the 'real' race.

Beer review:
    South Africa is really known for its wines, rather than its beers, so I've been indulging in the grape in equal measure to the grain (but both in rather large quantities!).
    Hansa: Pretty dull Pilsener, with not much to say for it, other that it tastes like beer
    Windhoek Larger: (pronounced Vin-duck!). Nice dry beer from Namibia. You won't bring any back with you, but you won't leave any behind either!
    Windhoek Light: Same as above, just less of it (a good afternoon beer)
    Castle Larger(Namibia): First introduced in 1895, and tastes like they haven't made a new batch since.
    Mitchells Forrester (Knysna (where I'm currently based)): Nice hoppy pilsener. Finally a beer with something going on. Not as full bodies as Irish craft hoppy beers, but tasty none the less. A decent session beer. :)
    Mitchells bosuns: Not bad either. A little more bland than Forresters but a good evening sunset beer.
    Mitchell's 90 Schillings: A decent beer (and slightly stronger than the above offerings at 5%), haven't seen this one outside of Mitchell's tavern in Cape Town. Has more in common with Irish craft beers. Tasty.
    Mitchell's Old Wobbly: At 11.5% a strong beer that doesn't taste strong, making it a dangerous beer to drink! Not sure what this one tastes like, as I was after having 5 or 6 pints with cphowlin at this stage, but it certainly contributed to the hangover!

Overall, the beers are nothing really to write home about, but if you can't drink the wine, then Mitchell's beers are a fine way of wittling away an hour or so, watching the sunset across Knysna lagoon, and most beers in bars or restaurants are usually less than €2 for 500ml.

Now the wines.... I'm not a huge wine drinker, but the wines are just incredible, and at prices that are stupefying. €6 in the supermarket will get you a wine that would set you back €20+ back home. €20 in a restaurant will get you an incredible wine, and you can sample wines from the local region (even when you're up in the mountains passes of the Kleine Karoo (dusty desert, but very beautiful)).

Food: Incredible. Above the beer and the wine is the food. Incredible seafood, and wonderful meats (from animals I've never seen or heard of!). Typically a meal for four of us including beer/wine (soft drinks for the kids), desserts etc will come to around €45 and will be a culinary treat. Awesome place..

Running: Oh yeah, there's been some running too. :)

Runs: unfortunately I left my Garmin 405 plugged into the wall in the apartment back in Cape Town, but hopefully by now it's winging it's way back to Dublin, so I'll have it when I get back. Instead I've been hogging Emer911's 405, and this has now sadly run out of juice (and the charger is with the other watch) so we're both running 'naked'. Not literally, obviously!

Legs were very sore after the Two Oceans, so there was no further running in Cape Town, and we left CT two days later and headed to Mosaic Farm, in Stanford (near Hermanus). Lovely rural place alongside the lagoon. Ran a very slow sore, stiff 10 miles along the dirt road, into the village of Stanford and back out again. Running parallel to the Overberg mountains, and teeming with wildlife, this was an incredible 10 miler, if a little stiff and sore.

Prince Albert (nothing to do with the genital piercing!): A beautiful remote town in the Kleine Karoo. Managed a 7 mile run, with some of it along the start of the Swartzberg Mountain Pass (a hair-rising 30 mile drive over a single track dirt road with incredible views). then ran an early morning easy 5 miles around the town of Prince Albert, watching two cultures collide, as the people of the townships made their way (typically on foot) to the houses of the white people, to make their breakfasts, cut their grass, clip their hedges, and put out their rubbish. You have to get up early to really appreciate the stark contrasts.

After two days in the Klein Karoo, we moved down to the incredible Knysna, with it's beautiful lagoon, white sandy beaches and party-town atmosphere. Not much running for the first few days, as we had lots of other things to do, to fill up our time (including a jump off of Bloukrans Bridge - the highest bunji jump in the world). Managed an easy 10 mile run around the lagoon, in a light rain that has travelled with us to each destination, broken by the occasional sunny 22'C day.

Today we're heading off to Addo National Park for a few days, so not sure how much running I'll manage to get done, but hope to get a couple of runs in, before we have to make the long depressing 7,000 mile return journey home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

]Prince Albert (nothing to do with the genital piercing!):

:eek:Why was I curious? Why did I google? How do I turn time backwards?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Beer review:
    South Africa is really known for its wines, rather than its beers, so I've been indulging in the grape in equal measure to the grain (but both in rather large quantities!).
    Hansa: Pretty dull Pilsener, with not much to say for it, other that it tastes like beer
    Windhoek Larger: (pronounced Vin-duck!). Nice dry beer from Namibia. You won't bring any back with you, but you won't leave any behind either!
    Windhoek Light: Same as above, just less of it (a good afternoon beer)
    Castle Larger(Namibia): First introduced in 1895, and tastes like they haven't made a new batch since.
    Mitchells Forrester (Knysna (where I'm currently based)): Nice hoppy pilsener. Finally a beer with something going on. Not as full bodies as Irish craft hoppy beers, but tasty none the less. A decent session beer. :)
    Mitchells bosuns: Not bad either. A little more bland than Forresters but a good evening sunset beer.
    Mitchell's 90 Schillings: A decent beer (and slightly stronger than the above offerings at 5%), haven't seen this one outside of Mitchell's tavern in Cape Town. Has more in common with Irish craft beers. Tasty.
    Mitchell's Old Wobbly: At 11.5% a strong beer that doesn't taste strong, making it a dangerous beer to drink! Not sure what this one tastes like, as I was after having 5 or 6 pints with cphowlin at this stage, but it certainly contributed to the hangover!

Overall, the beers are nothing really to write home about, but if you can't drink the wine, then Mitchell's beers are a fine way of wittling away an hour or so, watching the sunset across Knysna lagoon, and most beers in bars or restaurants are usually less than €2 for 500ml.

I think you've found your second talent - beer reviewer. :D

Thanks for that invaluable info. Every beer drinker traveller to SA should take note.

The Mitchells Old Wobbly reminds me one time in a little pub on the banks of the Mersey where they sold "Wobbly Bob". Enough said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Bet you're sorry now!

Sick old world :D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

I should have stopped reading after the (fantastic) race report!

Thanks KC (and well done:))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cphowlin

Hey Krusty,

Great report. It def was a fantastic race, one i would highly recommend to anyone. Only thing i would add is how helpful i found the other runners towards the end of the race. Some of them really went out of their way to help me along when i was struggling towards the end. I would love to get the chance to do it again some day (just so i can get some more salt covered potatoes!)

Heres a video i took of the 7 hour cut off. Was one of these scenes thats was terrible to watch but i couldn't take my eyes off it!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxqwXpIE8J0

Was great to meet you and Emer911. Hope you recovered from the run and the pints (Not sure which caused the most damage, the race or those pints of Old Wobbly) and enjoyed the rest of your holiday.

cph

Advertisement