Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Peckham

I know what you mean about the longer midweek run. Mine and Mrs P's work situations have changed a bit recently meaning that the only feasible option for me running home from work is 13.5 miles (Blackrock to Swords). A bit longer than the midweek long run should be, and am doing it for the first time tonight, so I'll see how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That sounds tough, particularly just after finishing work. Could you get the DART a couple of stops to pull it in by a few miles? Still, you'll have legs like He-Man.

Damnit, I hadn't thought of doing that. Now you've given me a lazy opt-out clause! :D

Today: 5 Mile recovery run
    Really wasn't in the humour, and the body wasn't either, but got it done in time to get home and watch my adopted favourites beat ze Germans, so a good result for the evening.

Summary: 5 miles in 38 mins, @7:37/mile. HR=132

Today: 9 mile run with 4 miles @1/2 Marathon pace.
    After a crap day in work I arrive home to find that our gold-fish of 7 years has died. He lived the last 5 years of his existence on his own, so he's he's gone to a better plaice. I felt I owed him a good send off in my own way (rumours that I ate the fish are completely unfounded). So with a heavy heart, I set off for my first LT run of the training program.

It's quite unfair, that as you get faster, you find that all of your race paces seem to converge.
    5K: 5:40
    10k: 5:50
    10M: 6:00
    13.1M: 6:05
    25 second difference across a massive range of distances? Totally unfair.

So I decided on 6:05 for the 4 LT miles. As it happened, after my first 2.5 mile warm-up, it was lovely and cool in the park, so I found the LT miles a little easier than I had reckoned. As I glanced at the watch I noticed I had dipped into sub 6 min/mile, but much as I tried, I couldn't bring it back to 6:05, so I finished the 4 miles comfortably, at 6 minute/mile, and followed it with another 2.5 easy miles.

So, Splash/Patch/Wisher/Fishey/whatever your damn name was, this one's for you. :)

Summary: 9 miles in 60 minutes, @6:41/mile, HR=145

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

It's quite unfair, that as you get faster, you find that all of your race paces seem to converge.

Sadly they appear to converge as one get slower too :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Today: 9 mile run with 4 miles @1/2 Marathon pace.

So I decided on 6:05 for the 4 LT miles. As it happened, after my first 2.5 mile warm-up, it was lovely and cool in the park, so I found the LT miles a little easier than I had reckoned. As I glanced at the watch I noticed I had dipped into sub 6 min/mile, but much as I tried, I couldn't bring it back to 6:05, so I finished the 4 miles comfortably, at 6 minute/mile, and followed it with another 2.5 easy miles.

Summary: 9 miles in 60 minutes, @6:41/mile, HR=145

that's some good running lad, your off to a great start!

he's gone to a better plaice.

I'd love it if that was an unintentional pun, but somehow I fear not!

Nice running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Peckham wrote: »
    I'd love it if that was an unintentional pun, but somehow I fear not!

Nice running

Spotted that one myself, quality. Nice running, see the warm sticky weather does have some advantages. That session would have been poxy in the cold, wind and rain.

Spotted that one myself, quality. Nice running, see the warm sticky weather does have some advantages. That session would have been poxy in the cold, wind and rain.
    I agree with you about the the wind, but the cold and the rain never bothered me. Tempos and intervals into a harsh wind are just horrendous, but cool, wet days are just made for running fast! A nice sunny day in Berlin will just make the beers go down all the smoother though. :)

• Advertisement

I agree with you about the the wind, but the cold and the rain never bothered me. Tempos and intervals into a harsh wind are just horrendous, but cool, wet days are just made for running fast! A nice sunny day in Berlin will just make the beers go down all the smoother though. :)

True I can actually handle the rain and cold and sometimes like them. The warm weather helps warm up the muscles though, I find you can get into the session a lot quicker. Think of the sticky weather as acclimatisation for Berlin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭aero2k

5K: 5:40
    10k: 5:50
    10M: 6:00
    13.1M: 6:05
    25 second difference across a massive range of distances? Totally unfair.
    However, if you look back, you find your pace for a short race has become the pace for longer ones - my comback race was the '08 Docklands 10k at average 6:37, I almost managed the same pace in Edinburgh.
    ...... but much as I tried, I couldn't bring it back to 6:05
    How I wish I had that problem!

aero2k wrote: »
    However, if you look back, you find your pace for a short race has become the pace for longer ones - my comback race was the '08 Docklands 10k at average 6:37, I almost managed the same pace in Edinburgh.
    Yeah, it's funny, I ran a 10 mile in Phoenix Park last August at 6:36/mile. I ran Barcelona marathon in March at 6:33/mile. You wonder sometimes, how much longer it can last.
    aero2K wrote:
    How I wish I had that problem!
    You old codder! You're not fooling anyone!

Yeah, it's funny, I ran a 10 mile in Phoenix Park last August at 6:36/mile. I ran Barcelona marathon in March at 6:33/mile. You wonder sometimes, how much longer it can last.!
    That's a serious improvement. If you believe "Born to Run", we don't slow down to our 19 year old pace until aged 64!
    You old codder! You're not fooling anyone!
    Mods! Help! Personal abuse!:D

Wish I could fool the clock a bit more....

That's a serious improvement. If you believe "Born to Run", we don't slow down to our 19 year old pace until aged 64!

Mods! Help! Personal abuse!:D

Wish I could fool the clock a bit more....
    Age is one thing. Hitting your natural plateau is quite another. No more 22 minute marathon PBs for me! In many ways I feel lucky that I'm relatively new to running. I could record a PB across almost any distance, cos I've only run most of them once or twice (with the exception of marathons and 10ks).

There are no mods to help you here. <evil cackle>.

Today: 7 Mile Recovery Run
    Long for a recovery run, but I want to hit 50 miles for the week. Headed out into a nice cool shower of rain, and decided to go visit one of the tougher areas of Bray where I wouldn't normally be welcome any other time of day. Lovely well kept homes in contrast with empty boarded up derelicts, graffiti telling the world that the previous occupants were snitches and rats, playgrounds constantly under the scrutiny of Gardai security cameras, and watchful glaring eyes as you run by. Even the radio stations are afraid to cross the invisible threshold, and the crackle of white noise is almost a fitting backdrop to the rubbish strewn cul de sacs. The rain stops as I leave the estates behind, and the humidity climbs as I hit the soft grass of Shanganagh Park, glad to be back in familiar surroundings. Achilles is still giving me some concerns, but I have been too lazy to organize a visit to the Physio. 17 Miles on the plan tomorrow, so I hope I don't pay for my laziness.

Summary: 7 miles in 54 minutes @7:41/mile, HR=134

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Today:

Summary: 7 miles in 54 minutes @7:41/mile, HR=134

Is 7 41 a tad fast for a recovery run? Not that im an expert, new to the art of running myself. Good to see you paying a visit to the Bray working classes though :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If 'Born to Run' is right I still have a few years to get to sub 3 pace, and even longer, of course, to become any good at Ultra running. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

7.40 recovery pace. whats your pmp now krusty? must be about 6.20 if thats recovery pace. if so thats savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Lovely well kept homes in contrast with empty boarded up derelicts, graffiti telling the world that the previous occupants were snitches and rats, playgrounds constantly under the scrutiny of Gardai security cameras, and watchful glaring eyes as you run by. Even the radio stations are afraid to cross the invisible threshold, and the crackle of white noise is almost a fitting backdrop to the rubbish strewn cul de sacs. The rain stops as I leave the estates behind, and the humidity climbs as I hit the soft grass of Shanganagh Park, glad to be back in familiar surroundings.

i think they are lookin for a crime reporter at sunday world....'krusty williams'......

• Advertisement

I never run my recovery runs at a specific pace, I just run them at a very comfortable pace (which you can tell by the HR of 134). Some days it might be 8 min/mile, other days faster, but generally it's around 7:40/mile. There's little point in running them at pace that you find unnatural, that could actually stress the limbs and joints (poor running form). Current thinking is that my PMP will be 6:25/mile (only around 10 seconds/mile faster than Barcelona) but I'll monitor my progress over the next 11 weeks, and see how it goes.

ultraman1 wrote: »
    i think they are lookin for a crime reporter at sunday world....'krusty williams'......
    I was trying to capture the spirit of war-torn Bray. It's actually the same as Shankill (where I come from), I just couldn't mention that, or it would affect my chances of getting the pullitzer. :)

Today: 17 Mile LSR - Glencullen / Stepaside / Cabinteely
    Decided to head up to Johnny Foxes and then take a new route along the ridge of the mountain, down to Stepaside, and back by familiar roads to Cabinteely and home. Foolishly I didn't check out the route beforehand, and was under the impressions that Johnny Foxes was the highest point of the climb, so I was a little surprised to have another 100 feet to climb, to make it a little under 1,000 feet over the 6.5 miles. Good training for the Plod next week and a fine view over Dublin Bay. The descent was a little steep though, and both the achilles started to tug at me. Back onto the flat and I picked up the pace for a few miles before slowing for the last couple of miles homes. A decent run, but the Achilles are getting a little worrisome.

Summary: 17 Miles in 2:03, @7:20/mile, HR=138

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

All those hills cannot be helping the achilles...mind yourself,maybe a week of flat routes and see how it goes.

Sosa wrote: »
    All those hills cannot be helping the achilles...mind yourself,maybe a week of flat routes and see how it goes.

+1. Hills put big strains on calves and achilles (well for me anyway)

Cheers for the advice guys. Will give the hills a miss this week and make an appointment with the 'pain-bringer'. I do have the IMRA Plod half marathon race this weekend, but it's not an 'A' goal (and was only €15) so I'll give it a miss if I have to.

Today: 30 minute recovery cycle
    Just a short cycle to stay off the achilles, but get some recovery for tomorrow's easy run. Tried to stay in the saddle for a change (I normally jump off the seat and munch the pedals as soon as I sense the start of a hill). Speed stayed at around 25 kms/hr, so maybe there's some logic behind not grinding the gears.

Summary: 31 minutes cycle, 8.3 miles, @25.8km/hour

If 'Born to Run' is right I still have a few years to get to sub 3 pace, and even longer, of course, to become any good at Ultra running. :D
    Yay, let's hijack Krusty's log!

RQ, you planning a trip to the wilds of Mexico?:D

Yay, let's hijack Krusty's log!
    This space for rent. €0.02 per word. :)

• Advertisement

This space for rent. €0.02 per word. :)
    Is that all Garmin pays you?:D

Good luck with the plod if you decide to do it. I was tempted but I don't expect to be in any shape after the 5 on Sat.

Advertisement