Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Actually it never even occurred to me. I've been so busy in work for the last couple of months, I could not even have considered an IMRA race mid-week, however, if i'd thunk of it, I could've made this one. Hope you raced a stormer. Do you think the trail league races will go ahead this year?

+1: Epic, heroic, valient, superhuman, otherworldly, run by you last time in Trooperstown last time you'll ever finish behind me in a race;)
    LOL. That was the old, fat, obese me, before I went through 'the change' to become Mr Emer. :)

Out Loud: 2:48

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Actually it never even occurred to me. I've been so busy in work for the last couple of months, I could not even have considered an IMRA race mid-week, however, if i'd thunk of it, I could've made this one. Hope you raced a stormer. Do you think the trail league races will go ahead this year?

There was a twist in the tail of the Trooperstown race. It didn't have the same finish as the last time out. The finish was steeper and involved a tight single track. Dpop would have been hard pushed to pass you on that!

Re: trail races... They will to be sure. Not nailed down route wise yet but expect details within a week. If previous year's are anything to go by the candidate routes are likely to be (3 of these):
    • Earls Drive
    • Ballyross (i.e. Crone wood)
    • Glen of the Downs
    • Devils Glen.

Tonight: 12 mile Aerobic Run
    Very humid out there so the first couple of miles were tough. Headed up Killiney Hill and then got lost in the favellas and ghettos of upper Killiney, so ended up running 12 miles instead of 11, and running up around 200 steps (Rocky Balboa style). As I struggled up Killiney Hill Park I bumped into Mithril who was pegging it down the hill I was struggling up, but couldn't stop as my achilles felt like it was going to seize up (catch you the next time, hopefully running in the same direction!). Tough run today. I think the 10k is still in the legs, and some physio time is in order. Thankfully a rest day tomorrow, and an easy run on Saturday, before a tough PMP run on Sunday. It's going to be a long 13 weeks!

Summary: 12 miles in 1:30, @7:31/mile, HR=146'ish

Today: 5 Mile recovery run. First time in a while I've run a recovery run by the book and it showed. I felt in better shape after finishing than I did before I set off. More of this please! It may have had something to do with the dirty pints I scoffed with gleeful abandon last night, but running is definitely the best Alka-seltzer. Tough run tomorrow, so early night tonight (yeah, right!).

Summary: 5 miles in 38 mins, @7:45/mile, HR=133.

• Advertisement

Today: 15 miles with 8 miles at planned marathon pace
    Ouch! Took a hay-fever tablet last night going to bed (don't usually take any kind of medication) so after waking briefly at 7am I had a very rare lie-in, and didn't wake until 10am. With the temperature rising by the minute I realized I would end up running at the hottest part of the day. Good for Berlin, not so good for today. Porridge with Strawberries (yum!) and a bagel, and then a two hour wait for the stomach to settle.

Despite the beautiful day, the wind was blowing up a storm, so I knew some part of my run was going to suffer. Started off with a four mile warm-up, mostly gentle up-hill, that gets me away from the hills before my PMP starts, but I soon realized the first few pmp miles would be into the wind. Briefly considered chucking my planned route to get a more favourable start, but then decided to leave it as is. The first three miles were really hard. At times the wind was so strong I could actually watch my average pace dropping on the Garmin. I was aiming for a pace of around 6:25/mile, but the best I could manage (with a fair amount of effort) was 6:35/mile. With the heat and the wind, it didn't look promising. After three miles (7 miles in total) I stopped the watch to run into a shop and get some water, so a bit of counter-productive recovery, but needed for the weather. Back on the road again, and I turned a corner with the wind behind me. Suddenly everything was a damn site easier, and finally my average pace started to head in the right direction. I was motoring comfortably, watching the pmp miles tick off. A couple of small climbs which were very tough under the circumstances, and I was very happy to finish the PMP section. The final three mile warm-down actually felt tougher than the PMP miles, so at this stage I was running on fumes. Still, a good start to the training program, and faster than I thought I would have managed. I could've recorded either a 10 mile or half marathon PB during today's run (I really have to go and do some races).

PMP miles: 8 Miles, @6:18/mile, HR=154

Summary: 15 miles in 1:43, @6:50/mile, HR=148

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Great running Krusty, sounds like you used the wind really well for the PMP miles, combination of sun and wind was tough going i'd say !!

Always amazed by your low HR, wish I had it !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

great run krusty. that was a tough day for a long one.

Yeah thanks, but I was very fortunate with the wind. I was lucky that the first three miles were into the wind and the rest had the wind behind me, as had it been the other way around I would have been in big trouble. Because of this the PMP pace is a little flattering. I reckon 6:25/mile is a more reasonable view (which is pretty close to target).

If the weather stays like this it'll be great for the tan, but not so good for the long runs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

good first PMP session of the new programme krusty, your off to a great start for the 2:48...

• Advertisement

seanynova wrote: »
    good first PMP session of the new programme krusty, your off to a great start for the 2:48...
    If only that wind follows me to Berlin, and follows me around the course pushing me on to the finish line!

On another related note: I just booked flights to New York. The plan is to run a relaxing NY marathon in November. None of this chasing PB stuff (though it's always good to have emergency options!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

If only that wind follows me to Berlin, and follows me around the course pushing me on to the finish line!

On another related note: I just booked flights to New York. The plan is to run a relaxing NY marathon in November. None of this chasing PB stuff (though it's always good to have emergency options!).

Relaxing marathon now there is a novel concept and they wonder why people think us runners are mad:p

ecoli wrote: »
    Relaxing marathon now there is a novel concept and they wonder why people think us runners are mad:p
    Like sight-seeing on foot, except you're trying to see all of NY in less than 3 hours. :)

Like sight-seeing on foot, except you're trying to see all of NY in less than 3 hours. :)

If you are going to do that you have to take the whole NY experience in (hotdogs and pretzel stands as for refueling instead of gels and mountain dew instead of water:p)

If you are going to do that you have to take the whole NY experience in (hotdogs and pretzel stands as for refueling instead of gels and mountain dew instead of water:p)
    Now there's a challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

How are you approaching the Roscommon marathon?
    You will have a very high placing if you run it hard but might disrupt the training for Berlin?

mithril wrote: »
    How are you approaching the Roscommon marathon?
    From the South. Probably Roscommon town direction. :D

I'm only toying with the idea. I know it might feck up my Berlin chances. I have a 20 mile run that weekend, so if I had the discipline to run a 3:15 marathon, it wouldn't hurt too much. But the problem is, if I saw that there was only a handful of runners going out at sub 7/min/mile, I'd be sorely tempted to have a pop, but I know even entertaining the thoughts of running it is dumb (but i'm not the cleverest!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

I'm only toying with the idea. I know it might feck up my Berlin chances. I have a 20 mile run that weekend, so if I had the discipline to run a 3:15 marathon, it wouldn't hurt too much. But the problem is, if I saw that there was only a handful of runners going out at sub 7/min/mile, I'd be sorely tempted to have a pop, but I know even entertaining the thoughts of running it is dumb (but i'm not the cleverest!).

thats a bad idea lad, stick to the P&D and have a craic at sub 2:48(or at least 2:50) sure your doing the NY marathon also in november...plenty chances to get placed in a marathon early next year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

See this is my worry for Roscommon too. The aim is to use it as a LSR - LSR pace being around 9 minute miles, just to finish in under 4 hours(which would actually also be a PB) but if I'm caught up in a 8 - 8:30 mile group OR there are only a couple of women in front of me...

seanynova wrote: »
    thats a bad idea lad, stick to the P&D and have a craic at sub 2:48(or at least 2:50) sure your doing the NY marathon also in november...plenty chances to get placed in a marathon early next year
    Damn you SeanyNova and your voice of reason! I couldn't justify a half-marathon at €50 when I'm supposed to be doing a 20 mile run, so maybe I'll cheer on RacoonQueen as she leads the women of Roscommon County home. :)

• Advertisement

Tonight: Popped the dinner in the oven and hopped on the bike, knowing that I had to be back in the house in 35 minutes, or the dinner would be toast. Quick cycle up the N11, around Westminster and back by the N11, picking up the pace slightly, motivated by the thoughts of a smoking dinner. After 10 miles I arrived back as the oven was beeping (dinner was mighty tasty).

Summary: 10 mile cycle in 35 mins, HR monitor totally fubar'ed (average 255 for the first two miles?!).

Tonight: Popped the dinner in the oven and hopped on the bike, knowing that I had to be back in the house in 35 minutes, or the dinner would be toast. Quick cycle up the N11, around Westminster and back by the N11, picking up the pace slightly, motivated by the thoughts of a smoking dinner. After 10 miles I arrived back as the oven was beeping (dinner was mighty tasty).

Summary: 10 mile cycle in 35 mins, HR monitor totally fubar'ed (average 255 for the first two miles?!).

Fair play i had a similar plan tonight but my biking skills not a patch on that only got 5ml in 25 min. Think my aspirations of a Tri are over before i even consider them:p

I think you are right although I also suspect you could win it with a sub 3 time.
    You are making good progress with your current approach but won't improve further without keeping focused. Once the times start to plateau, you can pick up some good places handily enough if it matters to you.

Fair play i had a similar plan tonight but my biking skills not a patch on that only got 5ml in 25 min. Think my aspirations of a Tri are over before i even consider them:p
    My pace would be considered quite slow (27.5km/hour). Maybe it's the bike? I gained around 2km just by having my tyres pumped up sufficiently!

I think you are right although I also suspect you could win it with a sub 3 time.
    You are making good progress with your current approach but won't improve further without keeping focused. Once the times start to plateau, you can pick up some good places handily enough if it matters to you.
    Nah, my only hope would be if the top prize was a bag of spuds from the local supervalu. They have a good prize for the winner, so you can guarantee at least a handful of decent sub-3 runners. I'd be more likely to do the race if there was a sh1t prize-pool!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Just had a look at the elevation profile

you crazy mister. you crazy! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Damn you SeanyNova and your voice of reason! I couldn't justify a half-marathon at €50 when I'm supposed to be doing a 20 mile run, so maybe I'll cheer on RacoonQueen as she leads the women of Roscommon County home. :)

I don't expect the strongest field in the world but I doubt it'll be THAT bad :pac:

The 32 marathon series http://www.32marathons.com/ might be a better idea if you just want a long training run with something like a race vibe.
    I doubt they even record who is first over the line.

I have signed up for the most prestigious race in the series - the Westmeath marathon - on the August bank holiday week-end.

The 32 marathon series http://www.32marathons.com/ might be a better idea if you just want a long training run with something like a race vibe.
    I doubt they even record who is first over the line.

I have signed up for the most prestigious race in the series - the Westmeath marathon - on the August bank holiday week-end.
    Hmm.... While it's a very worthy cause (and a worthwhile pursuit) it wouldn't really be my thing. I think I'd prefer to have a go at the Bogtrotters. In the end, I'll probably just get the OH to drop me off in Athlone, and I'll run the 20 miles back to Roscommon.

• Advertisement

Today: 12 Mile hilly windy run. One consequence of following a higher mileage plan is that I'm going to have to get used to running longer mid-week runs, and if that's the case, I'm going to have to learn to start running them a little slower. Lessons I have learned before, but forgotten again. Watched the match on the radio as I did my hilly loop, which helps pass the time. Newstalk's Off the ball is becoming my running buddy of choice these days. A nice country lane route, if a little windy on the uphill climbs.

Summary: 12 miles in 1:26, @7:11, HR=141

Advertisement