Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

thanks - its a bit difficult - I work from home a lot, so only go into the office a couple of days in the week (never on 2 consecutive days :-) )
    Am considering train in & run home - then may cycle when the weather takes up.

I'm sure I can manage 1 way with the laptop if all the other things aren't in the bag??

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Great run today Gary. Your in petty good shape there is no doubt, its early in the marathon cycle so positives all round. All 3 of us were working hard by the end (I especially like your slightly uphill reference - its a real climb back from Ashford to Newtown ;)). Great company, great morning and a very enjoyable run.:D

Donadea will be that little bit easier after today.......I have to keep telling myself that:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

thanks - its a bit difficult - I work from home a lot, so only go into the office a couple of days in the week (never on 2 consecutive days :-) )
    Am considering train in & run home - then may cycle when the weather takes up.

I'm sure I can manage 1 way with the laptop if all the other things aren't in the bag??

If its never 2 consecutive days then shouldn't be a problem - I have an Innov8 race elite 25 backpack which is 25 litre size - can fit laptop and running gear in it - would not fit work clothes in it aswell though. Typical laptop is 3kg and you feel it but sure it's all training.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

U guys carry a laptop in the bag - contemplating running the 7m to and from work.
    Unless your laptop hard drive is solid state, I wouldn't be too eager to carry it into and out of work (and even then I still wouldn't be too keen). If you have a computer at home, could you remote connect to your work laptop instead (or vice versa)? If you must run with your laptop, make sure that it is fully shut-down (and not hibernating), to protect the hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Unless your laptop hard drive is solid state, I wouldn't be too eager to carry it into and out of work (and even then I still wouldn't be too keen). If you have a computer at home, could you remote connect to your work laptop instead (or vice versa)? If you must run with your laptop, make sure that it is fully shut-down (and not hibernating), to protect the hard drive.

Wouldnt advise running with laptop. Too much shaking for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    In all honesty I don't really care who wins, once I'm on the tasting panel :p

I would suggest a tasting panel after Donadea but nobody will be in a fit state to judge anything after 50K.
    I do promise to bring some sort of culinary delight; all these high mileage weeks are having an adverse affect on my Domestic Goddess status and its high time I sorted that out:)

Best of luck with the 100 mile weeks Gary, whenever I start to feel tired I just pop on over here to your log and that puts things in perspective;)

Sunday: 8 mile recovery run
    Just ticking off the miles and providing some recovery impetus. Kept the pace very handy, as legs were pretty stiff after the previous day's 22 mile session, and the wind was blowing quite a gale. Was happy enough to have a run with no purpose (other than recovery, before the junk miles police come a callin'!), as these days every run has a very specific goal or destination in mind, so it was pleasant to wander around at an easy pace and day-dream.
    Summary: 8 miles in 67 mins, @8:02/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Too long for a recovery run :mad:,
    Yours sincerely,
    the junk mile police

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

RayCun wrote: »
    Too long for a recovery run :mad:,
    Yours sincerely,
    the junk mile police

I disagree with that: IMO you have to be able to recover running relatively long for marathon training. The overall volume of training and pressure on the aerobic system needs to be maintained week in week out.
    That said, the big specific sessions a little closer to race time should have recovery before and after promoted as the highest priority above maintaining the aerobic pressure. I guess those sessions need to be run at a race effort although Krusty managed that perfectly for the recent MP run.

One run which Daniels doesnt have (i may have missed it though) is a continous fast run. It is a specific session but in a slighly different way to the long runs with marathon pace. For a sub 2:40 marathon its 6:40 pace on fast flat road or just under for 20-22 miles. Youve averaged that on the last MP paced long run but this is a different beast. This teaches the body to work relatively hard for an entire long run just like the marathon itself. The last 2-3 miles are tough. Good for running economy too,a nd your buening fuel in a similar ratio to the marathon for a long time.
    It also is a great base for those long MP runs. The easy running feels a lot easier and it makes the MP sections a little easier. Maybe the Daniels combination can achieve this just as well without this session, but i dont see it.

Might be worth considering it if youre stuck for a session and you think it may cover a base and help. Youre well on course either way and that mileage will start to pay back soon enough (in a positive sense).

I think the marathon mission group do a couple of these in their buildup, (i only saw it on a runners schedule alas, but i hope to blag my way in for some of their training sessions , if their still spreading the wings during my next marathon)

T runner wrote: »
    I disagree with that: IMO you have to be able to recover running relatively long for marathon training. One run which Daniels doesnt have (i may have missed it though) is a continous fast run.
    I think RayCun was just being a bit flippant. He must not have enough authority in real life, so feels the need to represent the authoritarian voice at every opportunity. ;)
    RayCun wrote:
    Too long for a recovery run ,
    The 8 mile run did in fact have purpose. The first was recovery and at 8 minute mile, even running for longer than 40 minutes is not going to have any meaningful detrimental impact on the following day's training (I ran 18 miles the next day). Plus in terms of the week's total, it represents just 8% of the weekly mileage, so is pretty insignificant (and was by a long shot, the lowest mileage run that week). I could have split it into two runs (that would comply with junk mileage police code of ethics (Chapter 23, ordinance 114.b)), but I chose instead to take the evening off. Everyone gets a rest sometimes.

Secondly, it was necessary to bring me up to my weekly mileage goal. I'm as stubborn as a stubborn mule, which means I will always do the pre-ordained mileage. Hangovers, weather, laziness... These things never get in the way (though all presented themselves on Sunday!).
    T runner wrote: »
    One run which Daniels doesnt have (i may have missed it though) is a continous fast run.
    That's exactly the type of run that is planned for this weekend. 22 miles at somewhere between 6:40 and 6:50, then there's also Donadea the following week, which will be 50kms at ~6:50-7:00. So I'm using JD Plan A is more of a loose template. I'll pick and choose some sessions from the elite plan (where I think these are achievable) and swap some out for build-up races or other suggested sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Cheers Gringo. Makes sense. Any more info on this approach of tracking fitness? is there some form of spread-sheet template or is it an online tool?

Sportstracks (Free) does it automatically friom heartrate data when you load up your Garmin data. Unfortunately Sportstracks is Windows PC only so when I switched to a Mac I couldn't find a good alternative and made my own spreadsheet (attached)

Trainingpeaks / WKO+ also does it automatically but its not free, you need a subscription. Trainingpeaks uses pace rather than heartrate data for running I think - it also gives 10% bonus points to running over cycing cos it recognises the toughness of running over the nancy boy cycling.

I don't calculate the TSS points each day for individual runs - I know roughly the points for each type of run I do, it doesn't have to be accurate, its more the trend of things thats interesting. Whats interesting to see how this method of tracking fitness is that when you up the training load (I ramped up from 25mpw to 60mpw over the last 2 months) it takes around 4 months for your overall fitness to catch up & stabilise. Kind of hit home to me that if you want to do a marathon training cycle at 70mpw, you'd want to be running 60-70mpw for 12-16 weeks before starting into the marathon training cycle so that you have already got rid of the fatigue of the mileage build up before you start tackling the marathon specific training.

Monday morning: 7 miles Revitalized by Sunday's recovery run but feeling a little guilty for having gained a pound of weight on the back of a 100 mile week (more on that at a later stage!), I decided to stretch out the morning run a little and take in a hillier route. The wind was absolutely crazy (27mph according to the new Garmin Connect widget), so all I could do was bow the head and plough onwards.
    Monday afternoon: 5.3 miles Had to visit the shops to buy birthday gifts for an unnamed lady of questionable age, so threw on the backpack once more and headed the long way, once again thrown into freezing gale conditions. Screw your milk-tray hero; I had to face sleet, snow, rain and gale force winds. Next time I'm shopping on the internet.
    Monday evening: 5.7 miles This day was turning into a real 'fall to your knees and shake your fists at the sky, while hurling abuse at the gods themselves' kind of day, but at least I was on the way home and with 18 miles in the bag on a Monday, them's good innings.
    Monday night: All day exercise binge rounded off with a core and weights session, which was owed (overdue) from last week.

Summary: 18 miles @7:20/mile, HR=~130

Tuesday morning: 5.5 miles - As if yesterday's conditions weren't bad enough, freezing conditions, snow and 5.5 miles of ice were the order of the day's runs. Had to gingerly pick my way across the sheets of ice, and keep the stride length very short for balance, so it was a slow and painful prospect.

Tuesday afternoon: 7 miles - Undeterred by this morning's conditions, I headed out gift shopping once more, this time to the 'great' temple of all things shopping related, the Dundrum Shopping Centre. Google maps once more lied to me and told me it was just a 2.5 mile trip each way. Bastids. Walking the shiny halls of the shopping centre, you can't help but feel a little self-conscious in the make-up perfect environment of the shopper's paradise, but that is nothing compared to the derisory looks you get when you enter House of Fraser. Within 30 seconds I had a security guard offering me directions, and shop assistants bending over backwards to serve me, so that I would depart from the premises in the shortest possible period of time. Note to self: Always wear sweaty running gear to poncy shopping centres.

Summary: 12.5 miles @~7:45/mile (because of icy conditions)

Wednesday: Jack Daniels Plan A : 4 x 1 Mile @Tempo + 1 Hour easy + 3 Mile Tempo

I'm beginning to think that there are a number of similarities between child-birth and marathon training. Foremost of those is that once you complete your goal marathon, there must be some form of chemical adjustment that makes you largely forget the pain of the previous experience, so that after a few months have passed, you're ready to start work on your next baby marathon. I'll have to check my records to see if I did this session previously. Maybe it's the high-mileage. Maybe it's the fact that I did this session mid-day and mid-week instead of the weekend, but I found it very difficult to hit the right notes.

2 mile warm-up: 7:10 mile
    4 x 1 Mile @Tempo with 1 minute rest: 5:48/5:47/5:45/5:44
    1 Hour easy: 8.2 miles, @7:19/mile
    3 miles @ Tempo: 18:16, @6:06/mile
    1.6 mile warm-down at 7:16/mile

So the warm-up was nice and handy, despite the cold. Ditched a few layers of clothes and hit the tempo miles. The first half of each tempo mile was very tough, uphill and into a strong wind, but the effort level dropped as soon as I hit the mid-point and turned back downhill with the wind behind me. I finished the reps feeling comfortable enough, like I could manage a few more.

The subsequent one hour of easy running was grand, except that I had a couple of miles into that 20mph wind, which gradually sapped the effort levels, so that I really was not looking forward to the next tempo section. Nothing for it though, but to give it the best shot. After a brief bout of stretching, I launched into the three miles with the wind behind me. For some reason, I could not get my legs to turn quick enough, to get down to 5:50/mile target. I didn't feel that tired. My legs didn't feel that tired, yet they just didn't seem to want to go fast enough. All sorts of thoughts were running through my head, like it must be a GPS malfunction, but the facts remained that I just couldn't get my legs to turn fast enough to hit the target pace. In the second half of this section, roads that I previously thought were downhill, were in fact uphill, so it felt like I was constantly climbing. I had no problems sustaining the run, I...just...couldn't...run...fast...enough...

It's a strange one, as normally, it's the heart/lung capacity that fold first, so to have the legs/engine quit on me was an unusual one. I suspect though, that this is probably the type of outcome you expect from this type of session, and so I'm not disappointed. It was still a damn good workout.

Summary: 19 miles in ~2:11 (including recoveries), @~6:50/mile, HR=143

Thursday: Things took a bad turn, when I woke up feeling unwell. I went into work and got worse and worse, until early afternoon, when I called it a day and headed home to my bed, with my running gear under my arm. I was plagued by thoughts of over-training (particularly given the previous day's session), until my son arrived home in slightly worse shape, with the same symptoms.

Friday: Waking up on Friday morning (5 pounds lighter), I felt no better and was ready to write-off the rest of the week's running, having already begged off of Saturday's steady 22 mile run. As the day went on, I managed to get food back into the system, and started to feel better and better, up to the point where I stupidly decided I'd be fine for a run. I jogged around for 6 miles and then wrapped up with some core stuff and weights, before heading out for another 3+ miles at 11pm. I'm now coming to terms with the fact that I have... issues.

Saturday: Still not fully recovered (yes, I know...) headed out for a very easy 8.8 miles, which unsurprisingly, brought me up to the point where I had covered my Thursday mileage. Legs still feeling like they have zero energy, so basically just trudging around running junk miles.

Sunday: 22 mile easy run
    Feeling a little more human, headed out for the promised 22 mile run, but the plan had switched from steady pace to survival pace. Body felt pretty lethargic (glycogen depleted?), so probably served some subconscious need, before the Donadea 50k this Saturday. The run wasn't bad, but for the pi$$ing rain that had started before I left the house and didn't finish until long after I returned home. A nice trip exploring some unfamiliar routes around Dundrum, up towards Marley Park, pausing briefly to run a small loop around theboyblunder's 1km track, before heading homewards. I figured that I'd be dead on my feet without water or nutrition, but the run was comfortable enough. Completed the run in 2:43:13 (just a few seconds inside of my marathon PB!), @ a leisurely 7:23/mile, HR=~132

For the evening, headed off rock climbing with the family, and had a fantastic three hour core workout. Great craic altogether, and hope to make it a regular alternative to the self-punishment of the regular core and weights sessions.

Monday: 11 miles in two runs
    First was a 5.6 mile recovery run in the freezing sploshing local park, before running home. Knee and back quite sore (as a result of plodding around 22 miles and numerous runs with a backpack) so something to keep an eye on.

Tuesday: Short run wedged between meetings, but finally an enjoyable comfortable run at a steady pace. Legs finally feel like they're coming back to me. Followed up with the more boring variety of core workout, with weights.
    Summary: 5 miles in 34:21, @6:43/mile

Remind me never to ask you for any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Man of steel. Fair play for continuing to get the miles in. Another deposit in the marathon karma bank. Hopefully thats your illness quota filled for this cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You make my behaviour seem almost normal:)

Remind me never to ask you for any advice!
    There is plenty of wisdom to be garnered from keeping an eye on this training log. Just take a mental note of everything the idiot does, and don't do it. To be honest, my mother was surprised when I made it to my teenage years and had bet against me making it to adulthood. I was always the kid who climbed the electrical pylon, threw the match into the barrel to see what was in it, put my foot in the spokes to see if I got transported to a magical place and drank the murky cocktail of tequila and custard. A Darwin award, waiting to happen.

I have carried that same stupid gene into my autumn years, preferring to do things first and think about the consequences afterwards. Sometimes (very rarely) I get lucky and it pays off, but largely I get what I deserve in the end. Oh and I did get transported to a magical place; called the dentist - with a chipped tooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

There is plenty of wisdom to be garnered from keeping an eye on this training log. Just take a mental note of everything the idiot does, and don't do it. To be honest, my mother was surprised when I made it to my teenage years and had bet against me making it to adulthood. I was always the kid who climbed the electrical pylon, threw the match into the barrel to see what was in it, put my foot in the spokes to see if I got transported to a magical place and drank the murky cocktail of tequila and custard. A Darwin award, waiting to happen.

I have carried that same stupid gene into my autumn years, preferring to do things first and think about the consequences afterwards. Sometimes (very rarely) I get lucky and it pays off, but largely I get what I deserve in the end. Oh and I did get transported to a magical place; called the dentist - with a chipped tooth.
    - stay hungry stay foolish :)

• Advertisement

Today: 16.5 miles with 12 miles @ marathon pace

One of the disadvantages of the regular run-mute is that you can get a little disoriented with your running clothes inventory, between work and the office. I knew I had a set of running gear in work, so didn't bother to bring a set in with me this morning. I had everything...except socks... With the 50k race looming, this was the last chance to get a final session in before the weekend, and inspired by Beepbeep's pmp run, I planned a similar session. I found a nice pair of woolly work socks that would do the job (and help me strike quite a pose) and so decided I'd run past my house, so I could grab a change of socks or a drink if I needed one. This meant that the first few miles would be downhill (but into the wind) but given recent training, I'd take the extra boost. The initial two mile warm-up saw me puffing and panting, but then hit the downhill miles (100m drop over the 12 miles) and with 5:50/mile pace on the clock, I was loving every minute. But the fun couldn't last and the hill soon leveled out and the hard work began.

The second half was much tougher, with more climb and long stretches into the wind, but I was doing fine, until I hit the 10 mile mark. The remaining two miles into the wind and marginally uphill were a real struggle, but with one eye on the clock, they ticked down eventually. So with the downhill, not a true reflection of a 12 mile PMP session, but I'll take it anyway, given the week I had last week and the pain yet to come this weekend.

Summary: 16.59 miles in 1:47, @6:28/mile, HR=~152

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

.....climbed the electrical pylon, threw the match into the barrel to see what was in it, put my foot in the spokes to see if I got transported to a magical place and drank the murky cocktail of tequila and custard.

Ah ha - finally the training secrets. Which one made the biggest difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stipes212

Wednesday:[/U] Jack Daniels Plan A : 4 x 1 Mile @Tempo + 1 Hour easy + 3 Mile Tempo

I'm beginning to think that there are a number of similarities between child-birth and marathon training. Foremost of those is that once you complete your goal marathon, there must be some form of chemical adjustment that makes you largely forget the pain of the previous experience, so that after a few months have passed, you're ready to start work on your next baby marathon. I'll have to check my records to see if I did this session previously. Maybe it's the high-mileage. Maybe it's the fact that I did this session mid-day and mid-week instead of the weekend, but I found it very difficult to hit the right notes.

2 mile warm-up: 7:10 mile
    4 x 1 Mile @Tempo with 1 minute rest: 5:48/5:47/5:45/5:44
    1 Hour easy: 8.2 miles, @7:19/mile
    3 miles @ Tempo: 18:16, @6:06/mile
    1.6 mile warm-down at 7:16/mile

So the warm-up was nice and handy, despite the cold. Ditched a few layers of clothes and hit the tempo miles. The first half of each tempo mile was very tough, uphill and into a strong wind, but the effort level dropped as soon as I hit the mid-point and turned back downhill with the wind behind me. I finished the reps feeling comfortable enough, like I could manage a few more.

The subsequent one hour of easy running was grand, except that I had a couple of miles into that 20mph wind, which gradually sapped the effort levels, so that I really was not looking forward to the next tempo section. Nothing for it though, but to give it the best shot. After a brief bout of stretching, I launched into the three miles with the wind behind me. For some reason, I could not get my legs to turn quick enough, to get down to 5:50/mile target. I didn't feel that tired. My legs didn't feel that tired, yet they just didn't seem to want to go fast enough. All sorts of thoughts were running through my head, like it must be a GPS malfunction, but the facts remained that I just couldn't get my legs to turn fast enough to hit the target pace. In the second half of this section, roads that I previously thought were downhill, were in fact uphill, so it felt like I was constantly climbing. I had no problems sustaining the run, I...just...couldn't...run...fast...enough...

It's a strange one, as normally, it's the heart/lung capacity that fold first, so to have the legs/engine quit on me was an unusual one. I suspect though, that this is probably the type of outcome you expect from this type of session, and so I'm not disappointed. It was still a damn good workout.

.....and this was done during lunch HOUR......????

stipes212 wrote: »
    .....and this was done during lunch HOUR......????
    Sometimes I stretch my lunch HOUR out at little, but sadly it never stretches out quite as much as my working day. Wednesday's are always a 9am to 8pm work affair, so in that context, taking a long break to get my run done is a much needed vice.

Thankfully, after Wednesday's session, I could afford to ease back on the miles with Saturday's 50k race in mind and a step-back weekly mileage target of 80 miles. So I ran an easy 5 miles on Thursday, @7:18/mile, and an easy 5 miles on Friday, @7:31/mile

The dream-sequence
    I woke up last Thursday morning, with a great sense of relief. I had slept through the race in Donadea the previous Saturday, and out of a sense of guilt, I coaxed Emer to come out to Donadea with me and just before dusk, set off for 10 laps of the forest on my own. I finished in a satisfying 2:40, smug that despite having missed the official race, I had still reaped the benefits of the training and done it in a pretty good time too (I didn't know it at the time, but I had just nipped 3 minutes off of the world record). Once the hazy fog of sleep lifted, I was at once both disappointed and relieved to realize that I hadn't actually missed the race. Disappointed, because I still had a grueling 31 mile run to complete and relieved, because I really enjoy this race. If it were a movie, it would be 'It's a Wonderful Life'. It starts nice enough, there are tough times in the middle, but at the end, everyone's all smiles, handshakes, pats on the back, and there's cake.... Lots of cake.

The race wasn't really on my calendar until I met Anto, just after the Christmas holiday, when he reminded me that just 6 people had started and finished every race. I couldn't really let that one go. Having completed a pretty good PMP run the previous Wednesday, I knew I was in decent enough shape, but the legs were tired after weeks and weeks of high mileage. The plan was to run a pretty conservative race, in order to nab a small PB, and provide a good endurance boost for my London marathon goal. Two clubbies (Pronator and Beepbeep) were also participating in the race and Pronator's goals were similar enough to my own, so at least I'd have company for much of the race.

The starty-bit
    Arrived out to Donadea with Emer_911, who had kindly opted once again to furnish me with my beverages during the race (I only had to bribe her with a new coat for the privilege) and met up with all of the lovely folk who make this the superb race that it is. Dropped off a box of drinks and gels and lined up with the rest of the runners at the start. I'd say I knew one out of every two runners that were assembled that chilly morning. Being a long race though, the usual competitive glares, grunts and shuffling for position were replaced with smiles, jokes, and an almost reluctant readying of watches before the starting bullhorn. But start it did and ultimately a 10-strong group of runners broke away from the rest of the group, chasing finishing positions and lofty targets. This was Pronator's first time dipping his toe in the murky waters of ultramarathons, so he was happy enough to stick to sub 7 minute miles, which would see us finishing just shy of 3:38. That plan lasted all of 400m, as we struck out at a pace of approximately 6:40/mile. We were joined during the first lap by Jeffontour, Woundedknee and Colm from Mullingar, who eventually settled into their own respective paces. I had kept an eye out for Asimonov who planned to run at a similar pace, but he must have turned up in disguise, as he was nowhere to be seen. ;)

Over the course of the first lap, I was a little apprehensive, as every time I checked out the watch, we were running at a stable 6:40/mile, instead of the pre-planned sub 7 min/mile pace. The problem with these very long runs, is that you really only find out if you screwed up your pacing when you are 25 miles into the race, and beyond the point when you can do anything to resurrect your race. However, the pace felt comfortable and I was chatting away to Pronator, so eventually said ‘to hell with it’ and just got into the groove.

The gastronomics
    My nutrition plan: I had brought along 10x250ml bottles of water. Half of them I topped up with my turtle blood solution (a pinch of salt and some pomegranate juice). The other 5 bottles were ‘clean’. The plan was to alternate water and Isotonic gels and a bottle of my turtle blood every 5k lap. Largely I stuck with the plan, but only had 3.5 gels, and around 1.5L of my planned drinks. By contrast, Pronator’s nutrition plan: a couple of gels and a few swigs of water to help wash them down!

We completed the first lap in 21:37 (20:15, if you discount the run-in) and settled into a steady 6:40-6:42/mile pace. We were largely on our own for the next few laps, which passed in: 20:23, 20:42, 20:52 and 20:43, so great consistency. Our chatter was only broken occasionally, by the support and cheering of the various marshalls and supporters around the course. I think it was around lap 3 or 4 when we first spied some other runners ahead, firstly the unmistakable Aimman holding the rear-guard in his instantly recognisable floppy hat. From that point onwards we were passing other runners constantly and words of encouragement were always exchanged as the other runners generously side-stepped to give us clear passage. The forest surface had been churned up in parts by forest machinery, which left some spots muddy and slippy, but largely the going was pretty good.

The middly-bit
    Reaching the half-way point, I was much relieved that we could now start counting down the laps as we continued holding the same pace, with laps passing in 20:40 and 20:37. I was beginning to feel a little tired and the conversation had started waning (a tell tale sign) which coincided with the need for a pee, so I let Pronator know that I’d be dropping off for a pit-stop. I was glad of the excuse, as I didn’t want to have that awkward ‘you go ahead’, ‘are you sure?’, ‘Yeah, I’ll be fine’, ‘Would you not..’ type of conversation. Pronator was still flying, and I didn’t want to start flagging and dragging him back, so the pee was a perfect opportunity for him to push on. As we pushed through lap 7 (and were lapped by eventual winner Bazman), I started to feel a little more energetic and starting lap 8, I figured I’d hold out to the marathon mark and register a semi-decent marathon time. After that point, I could ease back if needed. I still needed to pee, but hitting the marathon mark seemed like a more pressing goal.

At the end of lap 8 (20:36), I pulled up for a bottle of water and had to rifle through the box under the Beepbeep family table, and was glad to see that Pronator had opened up a lead of around 100 feet, as I searched for my drink. This took the pressure off, as I could continue my steady trek to the marathon point, and suffer afterwards in isolation! I hit the marathon mark in 2:55:31, which closely matched my Barcelona marathon PB from three years ago. Despite having met my marathon milestone, I stayed the course. I could see Pronator a couple of hundred metres ahead of me, and that gave me strength, as I wasn’t flagging badly, or losing too much ground. I completed the penultimate lap in an ever-consistent 20:42.

I had been waiting with great expectation for the final lap to come. As I made my way around the forest for the last time, I picked out the various landmarks around the course and thought to myself ‘that’s the last time I have to see that lake’, ‘final time I have to climb this hill’, ‘last trudge through this mud’, ‘last time that guy will tell me I’m nearly finished’. Only this time, the guy didn’t tell me I was nearly finished. He had been doing it since lap 1, and with just one kilometer to go he shuts-up?! Fecker! With a kilometer to go, I checked my watch to see if there were any specific time barriers I should be trying to accelerate for, to see perhaps if there was a chance at nudging under the 3:30 mark. My mile-addled brain failed miserably with the maths, as it looked like I would comfortably get under the mark. My final lap was a slightly slower 21:05 (but I’ll take that after 28 miles of steady running!). I crossed the finish line to big cheers, in an official time of 3:27:55 and 8th place (*cough* 14th place in the 2013 world rankings *cough*).

The end
    It’s not too often that I get surprised by a race performance, but this was one of those moments. It's wasn't the kind of result I would have hoped for; it was the kind of result I would have wished for. I owe it to Pronator, who started out at a steady pace, and distracted me for 25 miles, until it was too late to start worrying about the consequences. All I had to do, was keep enjoying the drinks generously handed to me by the nice lady in the lovely coat, and enjoy the chat as we wound our way around the forest paths. I’ve only ever had the best of experiences in Donadea. It doesn’t matter what the environment throws at you; be it muddy paths, cold or rain, there’s something special about the race that keeps me coming back, even when I have firmly decided not to. Some day I’ll tire of those hills and stony trails, but not this year... and maybe not next year.

Summary: 31.07 miles in 3:27:55, @6:42/mile, HR=148

Superb race and great read. Congrats on the 14th in the world rankings, great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Great race KC, I didn't see you on the day but you obviously passed me at least twice.
    Pity you had all the plaudits taken by Mrs Stew as that was a cracking run from someone who wasn't running it til January;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Some clown, great running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

that just 6 people had started and finished every race.
    well done kc....and den there were 3:),,

• Advertisement

Superb race and great read. Congrats on the 14th in the world rankings, great achievement.
    That was a joke to be honest. 50k is just not a regularly raced distance (too short to appeal to real ultra runners, too close and not as meaningful as the marathon distance), and early in February, not enough races have taken place. So I push Ultraman to submit the figures early, so I can take a screen-grab of my 'world ranking' and gloat for around two days. Next week I'll be 30th, and the following week 54th, and so on..
    PaulieC wrote:
    Pity you had all the plaudits taken by Mrs Stew as that was a cracking run from someone who wasn't running it til January;-)
    Thanks, but I had a solid training run, while MarthaStew ran one of the races of her lifetime, hopefully creating memories that will last her a lifetime. No comparison!
    ultraman wrote:
    ...and den there were 3,,
    There can be only one! We'll have to settle it over pints the night before the race.
    Jackyback wrote:
    Some clown, great running.
    Thanks JB! Looking forward to the heroic tales of the assault on Abu Dabhi!

Advertisement