Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Instead headed off mid-afternoon along the Bray Promenade Esplanade, and amid ferocious winds headed up towards Bray Head.

Summary: 8 miles in 1:04, @8:06/mile, HR=~142

Ah ha! Sports drink, my foot! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Considering giving the fit4life 3k tomorrow a pop, not at full speed, but more of a mini-workout, to get a bit of a boost before starting more strenuous sessions once again next week.

You could pace me for first km/mile at 5:20 pace? Good to know sun will be splitting stones in Bray this evening or does that only work for marathons?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Gringo78 wrote: »
    You could pace me for first km/mile at 5:20 pace? Good to know sun will be splitting stones in Bray this evening or does that only work for marathons?
    I could try, but training/speed has all but gone out the window over the last 10 days. Looks like 5:19/mile is required for a sub 10, but I reckon parts of the park will have quite a breeze blowing (10 m/s from North). The route is well suited to the wind direction though, and you'll only have around 300-400m into the head-wind (with the same amount of tail-wind). Should be fun.

I could try, but training/speed has all but gone out the window over the last 10 days. Looks like 5:19/mile is required for a sub 10, but I reckon parts of the park will have quite a breeze blowing (10 m/s from North). The route is well suited to the wind direction though, and you'll only have around 300-400m into the head-wind (with the same amount of tail-wind). Should be fun.

Cheers for the inside track. PB is 9:52 so I actually need 5:17 to get inside that. If you see me introduce yourself, I'll have vibram 5 fingers and probably grey t-shirt on.

Cheers for the inside track. PB is 9:52 so I actually need 5:17 to get inside that. If you see me introduce yourself, I'll have vibram 5 fingers and probably grey t-shirt on.
    Will most certainly do that. I don't reckon there'll be too many people wearing Vibrams (it is Shankill after all!).

• Advertisement

You know when you get very frustrated, and you want to punch your fist against the wall? You just want to have a blowout? Well this was my blow-out.

Managed to escape out of work by working like a demon for the afternoon and headed home, threw on the gear and hit the park with the OH for the Fit4Life 3k. Target was to get close to 10 minutes, and see how near I was to ticking off another of the 'Big 10'. I didn't think I had it in me to crack 10 minutes just yet, but having never run 3k before I figured I'd give it a whirl and blow off some cobwebs. I soon picked out Gringo from the crowd, and we went for an easy warm-up around parts of the course. I spotted a few of the quicker runners (Beepbeep, Fin, Pronator) in attendance, which was good news, as along with Gringo, there'd hopefully be runners to chase. As I did a couple of final strides I spotted Gringo making a dash for a pee. Next minute the race was starting, and I was sure Gringo was going to miss it (no timing chips in these races!). Lined-up with seconds to go before the gun, in around 15th place, behind a load of kids (youthful enthusiasm!) who jumped out of their skins when the gun fired (clearly not from Shankill ;)). Glad to see Gringo had made the race-start, I saw Beepbeep up ahead and jumped in behind him, as he's a fast middle-distance guy so a perfect person to pace yourself off. I stuck in behind him until we passed the start line after one revolution of the field and pushed on to another runner who was opening a gap. I stuck in behind him and took a glance at the watch.

In my haste, I got my paces mixed up, and figured I needed to be running at 5:10/mile (instead of 5:20/mile) to hit a sub 10 minutes, so I was a little disappointed to see my average pace dropping. I moved on past the runner into 4th place and there was a sizable gap ahead. I've run more in this park than any other place in the world, so I know every rock, every bush and every slight incline. I knew where the slight downhills were, and where the wind was going to pick-up. A few glances over my shoulder and I knew I was well-clear of the next runner. I could still see the front runners ahead of me (one advantage of shorter races) and knew exactly how much distance was left to the finish, so I kept the effort level up until I crossed the finish line. Watch was showing 5:15/mile, so I figured I'd blown the sub-10, but after catching my breath I took a look at the watch history and was delighted to see 9:56 (9:55 official). Well happy with that.

Nice few miles of warm-down with Gringo and Raighne and I picked up the 2nd M40 prize. One positive side-effect of missing your marathon goal is that the legs haven't been put through the same level of stress as if you had hit your goal. I'd take the marathon goal in a heartbeat, but nice to make the most of a bad situation.

Summary: 3k in 9:55 @5:15/mile, HR=175

As I did a couple of final strides I spotted Gringo making a dash for a pee.

I cut it mighty fine - kinda got a rolling start, gun went off just as I cut up the inside on the grass, so luckilty didn't cost me anything.

Good time by yourself - in the first 500m I thought you were doing about 5:10 pace and siad to myself, jees if thats holding back, what pace is really going for it?? Shows the power of the mind - you probably would have found 5:10 much harder to hold if you knew 5:20 was the required pace.

Hey, Krusty! I have signed up for a marathon in October that has an elevation configuration somewhat similar to Boston in that the early mileage is mainly at a nice decreasing grade, while the last 5k contains two climbs. What was your original (pre-ghastly weather conditions) pace strategy for Boston?

I cut it mighty fine - kinda got a rolling start, gun went off just as I cut up the inside on the grass, so luckilty didn't cost me anything.

Good time by yourself - in the first 500m I thought you were doing about 5:10 pace and siad to myself, jees if thats holding back, what pace is really going for it?? Shows the power of the mind - you probably would have found 5:10 much harder to hold if you knew 5:20 was the required pace.
    Too true. If I'd been chasing 5:20, I'm fairly sure that I'd have finished in 10:xx. I also had a mind to keep an eye on that front group (Pronator, Timmayy, Fin). While I can't keep up with them, it's always good to be able to finish with them in my eye-line. :) You should come out for a run in the hills, if you're at a loose-end some weekend. Put those new hill running skills to some use.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hey, Krusty! I have signed up for a marathon in October that has an elevation configuration somewhat similar to Boston in that the early mileage is mainly at a nice decreasing grade, while the last 5k contains two climbs. What was your original (pre-ghastly weather conditions) pace strategy for Boston?
    I have to confess, I was a little naive when it comes to Boston. I'm not sure if it was entirely down to the heat (I know that realistically most of it was), but the hills were absolute killers. If I were to get a do-over (and it's unlikely that I will), I'd feature a good number of rolling hills at PMP pace, at the latter parts of my run. So something that more closely simulates the race route and the race weather, if that's something that you can predict with some confidence.

• Advertisement

Last night: 8 mile hill run
    Torn between reaching for a beer, or reaching for my runners, I was once again motivated by the fact that there were no cold ones in the fridge, so again, the runners won. I headed out for an easy 6 miles, but turned off at the opportune moment and had a blast running around 'my hill'. If you have to give up a couple of beers for a run, there's no better place to be doing them, with top-notch night-lit views over South Dublin and Wicklow. Finished up with a couple of 'now-cold' beers afterwards.

Summary: 8 miles in 58:55, @7:15/mile, HR=140

Buzz. Slow-down. Buzz Beep. Slow-down more. The watch doing its job, keeping me at recovery pace, but can't help but feel that in the battle against the robots, I'm losing.
    Summary: 5 miles in 39 mins, @7:50/mile, HR=120

I have to confess, I was a little naive when it comes to Boston. I'm not sure if it was entirely down to the heat (I know that realistically most of it was), but the hills were absolute killers. If I were to get a do-over (and it's unlikely that I will), I'd feature a good number of rolling hills at PMP pace, at the latter parts of my run. So something that more closely simulates the race route and the race weather, if that's something that you can predict with some confidence.

Prior to the race, though, had you mapped out what pace you wanted to go for each mile? I'm trying to figure out if there needs to be an adjustment to race day pace approach because of the hills at the end.

Dory Dory wrote: »

Prior to the race, though, had you mapped out what pace you wanted to go for each mile? I'm trying to figure out if there needs to be an adjustment to race day pace approach because of the hills at the end.
    I had put together two pace bands, one for even splits and one that took into account the hills. Of course I never got to use them, because weather disrupted all plans of splits, but even if I had, I wouldn't have stuck to them religiously. Instead, I'd have used them as a guideline to occasionally track if I was ahead or behind target. I prefer to run a marathon with a little more freedom to run some miles quicker and some miles slower. However if the hills were severe enough, I would take them into account in my strategy and build up enough of a buffer to take into account the time that will be lost on the hills. In Boston, you gain time in the first half and lose it in the second, so if you're not hung up on a specific time goal (down to the second) it's not such a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Question for you:

If the mile, 10k, and the marathon were all beers, which beer would each of them be and why?

:)

04072511 wrote: »
    Question for you:

If the mile, 10k, and the marathon were all beers, which beer would each of them be and why?

:)
    That's easy. A 10k would be your 'go-to' beer. A beer style accessible to all, but mastered by few. It'd have to be something like a Galway Hooker. The Marathon would be a Trappist Westvleteren 12. It's strong, hard to get your hands on, and when you get one, there's no guarantee that you will enjoy it. But if it is your type of beer, you're all but guaranteed an amazing experience. The mile is a beer that is very elusive, and only available at particular times of the year, but if you get one, you are in for an incredible treat. You have to be extremely lucky or dedicated to get your hands on one though. It's Pliny the younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Looks like you survived the journey home without dying of exposure. I was shivering just looking at you getting onto the bike in those conditions.

Continuing the trend of banishing the marathon demons by going out and enjoying myself, I decided to head out to Slogger Jogger's Annacurra Hill Trail race for another bit of a blast. Not helped substantially by a previous afternoon of pints with the reigning champion of London, the bike trip down to Aughrim soon cleared the head. I got lost for a few miles, but the bike ride along the Derry Water River was lovely. Organization was top notch, and altogether 80+ people lined-up on this cold winters day. Went for an easy warm-up with Ral3, before lining up at the start. A few familiar faces, but not easy to spot who'd be in the leading pack.

After the count-down we were off and four runners moved to the front, including Jimmy, Mags and a couple of others. It was hard to get past them, but after a couple of hundred metres, a tall runner in a blue top pushed past the line, and I jumped in behind him and into second place, as we headed up the first climb (165 feet; my kind of hill!). As we crested the hill, I pushed past into first place, thinking that among the hill runners, I have to take advantage of my strengths. We hit the very pleasant 'board-walk' section and I was running nice and quick, but all too soon we hit some steps that marked then end of the boards, and back onto the trail, where the blue-runner took his rightful place in the lead. We looped around back to the start and we were onto the big climb.

There was a big gap gathering behind us, so I stuck with blue runner, knowing it would lead to a better result as he was evidently stronger on the hills. We both slowed a little but worked steadily up the hill, largely side by side. As we turned North, we hit a pretty strong head-wind. Temptation was to jump in behind him and let him take the brunt, but when there's just two of you at the front of the pack, that would be horrendously unfair. I made a comment about the unending hill and he answered with a slight Danish accent, at which point I figured out who he was (a consistent top ten IMRA runner), so I was pleased that I was keeping up with him on the climb. I was getting a bit raggedy towards the top of the hill and Torben (the man in blue) was opening a gap.

As we crested the hill, he had about 10 feet, but hitting the downhills the gap was widening. I lengthened my stride, and the next mile was a quick one in 5:43. The next mile was even quicker with a 5:29, but Torben was consistently moving ahead. We hit the road, and the gap was up to a couple of hundred feet. Hardest part of the course for me, was the turn off the road back into a climb again. I wasn't expecting it at all, and this is where Torben made the greatest gains as I struggled up the hill, feeling pretty mashed. Thankfully it didn't last for very long, and I was picking my way through the forest on the final down-hill, leaping like an extra from Fame, when I saw the late Donothoponpop manhandling a chunky camera. I crossed the finish line in 41:16 (43 seconds behind the winner) and 41 seconds clear of third place.

A warm-down run didn't last too long as Ral3 and I started to freeze in the awful conditions. Instead we warmed down with Mithril in the pub over soup and sandwiches, before climbing back onto the rothar for the horrendous trek home. A superb race, and one that I'd urge anyone to go out of their way to do, if it's held again. My only regret is not taking a chance to admire the views at the top of the hill, but at the time I had my eyes glued to the widening gap between me and the front runner.

Summary: 10k with lots of up, in 41:16, @6:39/mile, HR=170

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

You never mentioned you were doing the race on Sunday. Not sure if the carbo beer thing was an advantage
    Fair play to you. That was a great effort. Well done on the 2nd placing

Abhainn wrote: »
    You never mentioned you were doing the race on Sunday. Not sure if the carbo beer thing was an advantage
    Fair play to you. That was a great effort. Well done on the 2nd placing
    Well, the ultimate winner had also been out drinking (until 2am that morning), so perhaps there's something in it?
    My problem is I clearly stopped drinking too early. :)

Did that bus ever come?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

That's easy. A 10k would be your 'go-to' beer. A beer style accessible to all, but mastered by few. It'd have to be something like a Galway Hooker. The Marathon would be a Trappist Westvleteren 12. It's strong, hard to get your hands on, and when you get one, there's no guarantee that you will enjoy it. But if it is your type of beer, you're all but guaranteed an amazing experience. The mile is a beer that is very elusive, and only available at particular times of the year, but if you get one, you are in for an incredible treat. You have to be extremely lucky or dedicated to get your hands on one though. It's Pliny the younger.

Phenominal answer.

Haven't heard of any of those beers though! :o

04072511 wrote: »
    Phenominal answer.

Haven't heard of any of those beers though! :o
    Galway Hooker is an Irish craft beer, which would be a great alternative to the standard mass-produced larger. It is an ale, but is pretty close to a larger (and in most places is cheaper than mass-produced larger). In case you haven't guessed, in this analogy, mass-produced larger = people who don't run. :)

Westvleteren 12 has a name as being the number one beer in the world. It is made by Trappist monks and has remained unchanged for hundreds of years. Typically it is only sold in limited amounts from the front gate of the monastery, so has been very difficult to get your hands on. To fund some monastery reconstruction, the Trappists started selling the beer in larger quantities, and I managed to pick up a number of bottles (have around 5 left). I'm only drinking them when I get a decent PB, so the next one won't be opened until I run a good marathon (or a superb 10k). So like the marathon, it's a really old style (event) has undergone recent changes, and not everyone will appreciate the event (beer) and dispute it as the number one beer (event).

Pliny the younger is a California beer that is only made for two weeks every year, and is only drank fresh on draft, so the people who have managed to get their hands on one are in a very exclusive club (kind of like sub 4 minute milers). Like the Westvleteren, taste is a very subjective thing though. Often the above two beers are given additional kudos because of their lack of availability. If they were available to everyone, their ratings (perceived value) would come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

On the subject of beer. I was away in foreign last week and this was recommended to me:
    La Chouffe (8%) 'Produced in the Ardennes, this distinctive beer is instantly recognizable by the red-hooded gnome (or chouffe) which adorns its label. It's a refreshing pale ale with a hint of coriander and it leaves a peachy aftertaste.'
    Cracking beer, I'd had 3 of them by the time I realised it was 8%, it was too late to stop then.
    Highly recommend it.

Patrick_K wrote: »
    On the subject of beer. I was away in foreign last week and this was recommended to me: La Chouffe (8%)
    Ah yes. The hill-run of beers. Available to all, but few will ever try it. The sweetness is a little difficult to scale initially, but it's got a hell of a kick at the end. A fine choice. Available from drinkstore.ie and other fine drinking emporiums.

Thats cool about drinkstore.ie. Know of any city-centre bars I'd get it in?

Good grief, I feel I've just been seduced by a beer pimp. Talk like that and you'll have labels trying to shove a few fivers and tens in your full bodied g-string. ;)

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Thats cool about drinkstore.ie. Know of any city-centre bars I'd get it in?
    Most good off-licenses would have it. Few bars would have it for sale, but the likes of the Bull and Castle, Porterhouse, Against the Grain, Black Sheep Pub, L Mulligan Grocers, Kavanaghs, etc. would likely have it, as it's one of the more popular Belgian beers. They usually have a clip-board or beer book stashed away somewhere with their list of bottled beers. You wouldn't really get it on draft over here though.

Super, will keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Well, the ultimate winner had also been out drinking (until 2am that morning), so perhaps there's something in it?
    My problem is I clearly stopped drinking too early. :)

Did that bus ever come?

Not sure who was beering till 2am but I was well into my 2nd hour of deep sleep at that point.
    Yes 10 mins after you were summoned.
    Sat at the front with an absolute stunner, well I did take the first vacant seat;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Abhainn wrote: »
    Not sure who was beering till 2am but I was well into my 2nd hour of deep sleep at that point.
    Yes 10 mins after you were summoned.
    Sat at the front with an absolute stunner, well I did take the first vacant seat;)

Apparently the Annacurragh race winner was out the previous night way late drinking jagermaster. He was very glad of the afternoon race start time. He was 3rd in the Cooley half recently and won the ice marathon in Greenland before Christmas in a sub 3 which is damned impressive. A very nice guy to boot.

A very civilised start time for those who like their Saturday nights. Well done KC. A sub 40 is definitely possible given the conditions. This evening its mild and gorgeous here. Thanks for coming down to my little bit of the garden county. I'm sorry I didn't get to talk more. Damn race directing :)

Advertisement