Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today: 8 Mile aerobic run with 8 x Strides
    Nice handy lunch-time run, and I have to say the legs enjoyed the benefit of a rest day after Sunday's race. Pace felt nice and easy. Now torn between taking a rest day every week (as the plan suggests) or just sticking with the 7 days a week. Might find a happy medium. Either why, this was a nice pleasant run, interrupted only be the need to go back to work for a day of conference calls.

Summary: 8miles in 56 mins, @7:02/mile, HR=~143

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

You should try one of those 'rest day' sessions. Much easier than those intervals and tempo runs. :)

I've been taking a lot of those days over the past weeks but I seem to operate better off of 7 days a week:rolleyes: Managed a similar distance to yourself today but had to work for my 7.38mile avg:eek:

Today: Cheeky lunch-time 11 Mile run
    Decided to run this in the style of a long run (as prescribed by P&D), so checking my spreadsheet, it should be PMP+20% (7:26/mile) at the start and PMP+10% (6:48/mile) for the latter part of the run. Strangely I found the first 8 miles at +20% tougher than the last few miles at +10%. I have to start watching my heart rate more often, as looking at the figures the easier miles (which felt tougher) were at average heart rate of around 130. Ankles and knees definitely feeling a little tender, so gotta find a new pair of shoes from somewhere.

Summary: 11 miles in 1:19, @7:08/mile, HR=~134

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Today: Cheeky lunch-time 11 Mile run
    Decided to run this in the style of a long run (as prescribed by P&D), so checking my spreadsheet, it should be PMP+20% (7:26/mile) at the start and PMP+10% (6:48/mile) for the latter part of the run. Strangely I found the first 8 miles at +20% tougher than the last few miles at +10%. I have to start watching my heart rate more often, as looking at the figures the easier miles (which felt tougher) were at average heart rate of around 130. Ankles and knees definitely feeling a little tender, so gotta find a new pair of shoes from somewhere.

Summary: 11 miles in 1:19, @7:08/mile, HR=~134

Solid running.Have found this on progression runs myself sometimes it takes a few miles to get into your running and loosen out and once you do it is hard to contain the pace

Today: 5 Mile slushy recovery run

Legs feeling quite sore, so I'm going to have to break in my spare pair of Mizuno Precisions as a general running shoe. They don't have a lot of cushioning, but they have to be better than the Waveriders which I reckon are causing genuine problems now, particularly when running on hard surfaces.

Anyone recommend a cushioned, neutral, light, long distance running shoe?

Otherwise it was a wet uneventful run soggy run. It was nice to have Corkagh Park to myself (and the ducks).

Summary: 10k in 48 mins, @7:50/mile, HR=~128

• Advertisement

Today: 5 Mile slushy recovery run

Legs feeling quite sore, so I'm going to have to break in my spare pair of Mizuno Precisions as a general running shoe. They don't have a lot of cushioning, but they have to be better than the Waveriders which I reckon are causing genuine problems now, particularly when running on hard surfaces.

Anyone recommend a cushioned, neutral, light, long distance running shoe?
    Otherwise it was a wet uneventful run soggy run. It was nice to have Corkagh Park to myself (and the ducks).

Summary: 10k in 48 mins, @7:50/mile, HR=~128

TW2 would be a good man to go to. Down in Ballymount have a pop in and sure he will look after you (No innuendo before people get ideas:P)

ecoli wrote: »
    TW2 would be a good man to go to. Down in Ballymount have a pop in and sure he will look after you (No innuendo before people get ideas:P)
    Cheers. What's TW2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Cheers. What's TW2?

ThirstyWork2 he works in BaseToRace running store.

I reckon ecoli should get a ban for plugging a running store ;)

Oh right. That's an Amphibian King Franchise, isn't it? Amphibian King in Bray is only half a mile from my house, so I might just pop in there. I'm liking Mizuno a lot these days though (mostly cos they're so damn cheap, but also cos they're a great fit), so if I can find a Mizuno shoe, I'll stick with that.

Was in reference to proximity to his work i swear:o

I think I would be shot by most people regarding shoe suggestions (usually consists of "Right thats cheap, Hmm fits orthotics, Yea seem alright to try on, Ill take them) otherwise would suggest ones myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Oh right. That's an Amphibian King Franchise, isn't it? Amphibian King in Bray is only half a mile from my house, so I might just pop in there. I'm liking Mizuno a lot these days though (mostly cos they're so damn cheap, but also cos they're a great fit), so if I can find a Mizuno shoe, I'll stick with that.

let me know what they tell you please? ta.

Im a mizuno fan myself but hate the WR 14s and while my precisions are great, am not sure about them over 26.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Anyone recommend a cushioned, neutral, light, long distance running [EMAIL="shoe?@7:50/mile"]shoe?[/EMAIL]

Adizero Tempo - I find them great, not extremely light - north of 300gms, but feel great.

let me know what they tell you please? ta.

Im a mizuno fan myself but hate the WR 14s and while my precisions are great, am not sure about them over 26.2.
    Problem solved. Wiggle are doing a sale on Mizuno, so I picked up another pair of Precision 11s (€60), and a pair of Wave Rider 14s (€70). There'll be no milk for the babas next week. :o

I wore the Precisions for the road-based ultra in Cape Town (which wasn't the best of ideas) but I reckon I'm good for them over the course of 26 miles. Will give the Wave Rider 14s another go. I've done 400 miles in my existing 14s (including a marathon), but they were the wrong size, so hopefully moving up a size will help. A fast shoe and a long distance shoe is great value for what you'd normally pay for a single pair of Asics. Just gotta hide the shoe boxes from Emer911. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Problem solved. Wiggle are doing a sale on Mizuno, so I picked up another pair of Precision 11s (€60), and a pair of Wave Rider 14s (€70). There'll be no milk for the babas next week. :o

I wore the Precisions for the road-based ultra in Cape Town (which wasn't the best of ideas) but I reckon I'm good for them over the course of 26 miles. Will give the Wave Rider 14s another go. I've done 400 miles in my existing 14s (including a marathon), but they were the wrong size, so hopefully moving up a size will help. A fast shoe and a long distance shoe is great value for what you'd normally pay for a single pair of Asics. Just gotta hide the shoe boxes from Emer911. :)

...too late! :eek:

Today: 11 Mile medium long run
    Gotta get used to running more medium long runs during the week. From next week there'll be more of these on consecutive days for the rest of the plan. This one was the same as Wednesday's run, with 8 easy miles followed by 3 PMP+10% miles. As usual, I ran the quicker miles too quick. When presented with a drag-type hill, I always feel the need to push a bit harder. Dunno why. Maybe I just see it as a challenge. Was a little dehydrated and felt a few cramps in my right knee (the only ever time I had this before was during the WW ultra).

Wait... This is turning into a 'Dear Diary' instead of a training log... Must stick to the facts!
    Summary: 11 miles in 1:18, @7:06/mile, HR=~138

Today: Easiest of easy 10k recovery runs
    Ankles a bit stiff from running on too many hard surfaces in worn out shoes, so this was an easy-peesy grass run, but the sunshine made up for it nicely. Have a tough run tomorrow, so hopefully the legs will have recovered.

Summary: 10k in 51 mins, @8:12/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi KC,

Enjoyed catching up here. Great performance, and report. on the Plod.

Best of luck with the Chicago training, what's the target?

aero2k wrote: »
    Hi KC,

Enjoyed catching up here. Great performance, and report. on the Plod.

Best of luck with the Chicago training, what's the target?
    Hi Sean, it's a rather aggressive 2:42. But if you don't try, you'll never succeed!
    How are you getting on yourself? Any winter marathon plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Sean, it's a rather aggressive 2:42. But if you don't try, you'll never succeed!
    How are you getting on yourself? Any winter marathon plans?

Aggressive but attainable. Your training and recent form suggests you're well on the way.

As for me, well I haven't managed to get a race performance to match my level of fitness since the Craughwell 10 in March, but I'm happy enough. Yes, I'm planning a winter marathon - that's winter 2012.....

Today: 18 miles with 8 Miles @PMP

This is the run I've been dreading for weeks. It's a cruel run, arriving at the end of week 1 of the 12 week Pfitzinger and Douglas training program. By the end of week 1, I typically haven't even found my feet. I've done a couple of runs that provide a flavour of what's to come. Then BAM! A 15 mile run, with 8 miles at planned marathon pace. This isn't just a work-out. This is a test, to see if there's any point at all in putting myself through the rigours of the next 11 weeks. It's a test to see if the random numbers I pulled out of my a$$ are achievable, or just a pipe-dream. Well, after that one, the jury's still out. Sure, I managed the 8 miles, and the HR of 155 is ok'ish, but I reckon it should have felt easier than it did today. 8 Miles @ 6:11/mile just sounds like a lazy tempo session, but I suppose the 7 miles beforehand adds to the challenge.

Finished up with a couple of miles to get back home and round up the weekly mileage to another 60 miler. I lost 1/2 stone during this training run (around 3kgs), and got a nice suntan to boot. The lost weight is back to normal, but I got to keep the tan. :cool:

The next planned marathon simulation is in two week's time and includes 10 miles @PMP. This overlaps perfectly with the Frank Duffy 10 mile race. Sure, I know it's cheating to kill two birds with one stone, but sure my goal for the 10 mile is only 15 seconds per mile out from my planned PMP, so what the hell. I'll wrap it up with a few miles either side.

Summary: 17.91 miles in 2:03, @7:04/mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Nice going there Krusty,Good tough session

Today: 12 mile medium long run
    Yesterday was a rest day, but I ended up in work for 12 hours, getting home at around 10:30pm, so took an hour or two off this morning to compensate (work to live, don't live to work!). Schedule called for a 12 mile medium long run, so with a late night dinner, I figured I could skip brekkie and just head out having swigged a couple of bottle of water. Longest pre-brekkie run I've done, and the body was a little shocked at first, but soon adjusted.

Headed out to Bray, and along the trail by the sea from Bray to Greystones and back again. Beautiful route at that hour of the morning, with very few people around. One runner, three dog walkers and a man unencumbered with the foul beasties. A lovely run, despite some persisting niggles in the ankles from Sunday's tough PMP run. Tomorrow's 11 miles is going to feel quite tough I reckon, and this is only day 9 of the plan. Oh dear. Time to HTFU and start getting earlier nights (as if...).
    Summary: 12 miles in 1:30, @7:34/mile, HR=~136

Oh and my Garmin 405 has returned from it's long holiday in South Africa, sporting a sun-tan, and a lot of new air-miles. Yippee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I lost 1/2 stone during this training run (around 3kgs), and got a nice suntan to boot. The lost weight is back to normal, but I got to keep the tan. :cool:

Hi krusty nice session and I wouldn't be too worried. The running times has an article ''weather your workouts'' and the article states ''that a loss of even 2 percent of body weight leads to about a 4 to 6 percent drop in performance'' so this plus the 7 beforehand might make you feel a little better about the session.

Best of luck with the rest of the training.

Woddle wrote: »
    Hi krusty nice session and I wouldn't be too worried. The running times has an article ''weather your workouts'' and the article states ''that a loss of even 2 percent of body weight leads to about a 4 to 6 percent drop in performance'' so this plus the 7 beforehand might make you feel a little better about the session.

Best of luck with the rest of the training.
    Thanks Woddle. Training Logs + Garmin connect are great, in that I can look back at how the session went the last time around, and the good news is I found it equally as tough. The last time I started with just three miles under the belt, and even stopped for water mid-way through the PMP miles. This workout was a lot closer to the prescribed marathon simulation. It's tough to find an 18 mile loop run that doesn't involve hills/traffic/pedestrians. Running laps of a park would do my nut in, particularly when the going gets tough.

I find it very handy setting up an advanced workout on the Garmin, that shows average pace for the entire PMP section, and also ticks off the miles downwards. Keeps me ticking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Today: 18 miles with 8 Miles @PMP

This is the run I've been dreading for weeks. It's a cruel run, arriving at the end of week 1 of the 12 week Pfitzinger and Douglas training program. By the end of week 1, I typically haven't even found my feet. I've done a couple of runs that provide a flavour of what's to come. Then BAM! A 15 mile run, with 8 miles at planned marathon pace. This isn't just a work-out. This is a test, to see if there's any point at all in putting myself through the rigours of the next 11 weeks. It's a test to see if the random numbers I pulled out of my a$$ are achievable, or just a pipe-dream. Well, after that one, the jury's still out. Sure, I managed the 8 miles, and the HR of 155 is ok'ish, but I reckon it should have felt easier than it did today. 8 Miles @ 6:11/mile just sounds like a lazy tempo session, but I suppose the 7 miles beforehand adds to the challenge.

Finished up with a couple of miles to get back home and round up the weekly mileage to another 60 miler. I lost 1/2 stone during this training run (around 3kgs), and got a nice suntan to boot. The lost weight is back to normal, but I got to keep the tan. :cool:

The next planned marathon simulation is in two week's time and includes 10 miles @PMP. This overlaps perfectly with the Frank Duffy 10 mile race. Sure, I know it's cheating to kill two birds with one stone, but sure my goal for the 10 mile is only 15 seconds per mile out from my planned PMP, so what the hell. I'll wrap it up with a few miles either side.

Summary: 17.91 miles in 2:03, @7:04/mile
    nice going on this run mate:D
    Was wondering where you bought the parachute for the pmp miles:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    nice going on this run mate:D
    Was wondering where you bought the parachute for the pmp miles:D
    If I head South, there are hills.
    If I head North, there are hills.
    If I head West, there are hills.
    If I head East, there is sea.
    I suppose I could drive to somewhere flatter, but it just seems a bit pointless. These hills have taken me from 3:25 to 2:48 (and hopefully beyond) in the last 2.5 years, so there must be something to them.

Lunch-time: 11 Mile medium Long run
    Bad sleep last night, plus didn't drink enough water meant a nightmare start. After three easy miles I was fooked and thinking of calling it a day early, as I had a conference call 20 minutes after the run was due to finish. This would've been a perfect opportunity to trial-run the 'travel-tap' as I was parched, and there are fresh flowing streams through Corkagh Park. I soldiered on, and once again, the body adapted. By mile 8 I was motoring nicely, and finished with a couple of quicker miles.

I find it crazy the way the mind/body works. One minute you're ready to throw in the towel, facing a disastrous run. You stick with it, and the body seems to pack in the internal moaning, and switches into a different gear. Spirits lift, dehydration gets ignored and running just gets a lot easier. If you could bottle endorphins....

Summary: 11 miles in 1:18, @7:07/mile, HR=139

Lunch-time: 7 Mile recovery run
    A swan-song for my Mizuno waverider 13s, that have now hit 530 miles, and are as flat as a pancake (note to self: must lose weight!). Ran the first two miles on the tarmac, then met up with work-buddy and ran 5 very easy miles on the grass, and the miles flew by and once again, the legs felt a lot better after the run was completed.

Supposed to do a tempo session tomorrow, but with the race on Monday, I have to juggle the schedule around, and will do my long run instead (18 miles) and hopefully be largely recovered for the race in a couple of days time. It's a local 10k in Dun Laoghaire, so I'd like to give it a pop for a PB, but a few days later I have a long run with another PMP session (this time 10 miles) and this is far more important than a 10k PB, and with 18 miles a couple of days beforehand, wisdom should prevail. This is what happens when your missus randomly signs you up for races. ;)
    Summary: 7 miles in 55 mins, @8:00/mile, HR=~125

• Advertisement

Today: 18 mile long run
    Took the day off to spend some quality time with the family, but an unplanned but much needed lie-in, un-communicated football match and shopping trip put paid to all our plans, so I headed off on my long run. Headed to Cabinteely via the backroads of Tully Church (always an awesome route) before heading to Killiney and joining the DLR Bay 10k route, following the route for the entire loop, beforee heading home via Ballybrack.

Question: How do you devise a 10k route, which starts and finishes at approximately the same place, yet seems to be entirely up-hill? How can you create a route that defies the laws of physics? I don't know the answer, but you can be sure that Beepbeep67 is involved somehow. :)

This is a tough route. I cannot think of a stretch of road that doesn't have a drag or uphill section, while the down-hills seem to be brief and unfulfilling. It's a nice route, but not an easy one! I'm glad the focus is on tempo rather than PB (who am I kidding?), and am looking forward to the run. It seems to be exceptionally well organized and has drawn a massive participation list. But it will be remembered as a tough race (I can say this now, as the registration has closed. It's too late for anyone to back out now!

Back to the run. I decided this long run would involve some self-flagellation, so skipped the water and gels. The plan went better than expected and I still managed to finish the last four miles at PMP +10% (around 6:48/mile) before an easy warm-down mile. The tank was running on fumes, but still managed the few quicker miles, so happy enough with how it went. I've also clocked up 72 miles in the last 7 days (not calendar week) which is more than like my highest mileage period evah! I think this calls for some beer. Life in harmony. :)

Summary: 18 miles in 2:10, @7:13/mile, HR=~136

Advertisement