Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today: Very easy 10k
    Yesterday's beers had zapped my enthusiasm and mojo, so wasn't in the mood for a run. Eventually, got off my ass, and felt better within 10 minutes, with mojo fully restored. Loosened up mile by mile, and all was well with the world by mile 6.

Summary: 6.2 miles in 48 mins, @7:36/mile, HR=125

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Whats your total milage for the year so far now Krusty? I've noticed you stopped updating the 1000 mile challenge once you got to the 1000.

Bally8 wrote: »
    Whats your total milage for the year so far now Krusty? I've noticed you stopped updating the 1000 mile challenge once you got to the 1000.
    Hi Bally8, according to Mr. Connect, I'm up to 1,311.19 and last rest day was 3rd June, so happy with the consistent mileage. New training plan calls for 6 days of running per week, so trying to figure out whether I should follow the program and take a rest day, or keep going with the 7 days per week, and max out at about 75mpw. Choices, choices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi Bally8, according to Mr. Connect, I'm up to 1,311.19 and last rest day was 3rd June, so happy with the consistent mileage. New training plan calls for 6 days of running per week, so trying to figure out whether I should follow the program and take a rest day, or keep going with the 7 days per week, and max out at about 75mpw. Choices, choices!

EEk:eek: Fair play. Its great how you can stay injury free. Not that I'll ever have your dilema but maybe some day I will be conisistent too:)

Bally8 wrote: »
    Its great how you can stay injury free.
    Lots and lots of slow running seems to have done the trick!

• Advertisement

Today: 8 lunch-time Miles with strides
    Chose a better route this time, with far-less gates and other obstacles, and it's a really good run, with largely unused tarmac cycle-paths. Planned to stick around the perimeter and size-up the park, but I noticed there's an entire extra park that I missed out on, so I'll save that one for another day. Really enjoyable run despite the humidity, but I'm heading to Chicago, so I can't complain about things like July humidity in Ireland.

Summary: 8 miles in 58 mins, @7:18/mile, HR=~135

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

but I noticed there's an entire extra park that I missed out on, so I'll save that one for another day.

Is the extra park the one opposite Grifeen on the link you posted (beside Superquinn). If so it's not very big, maybe a mile loop at most. However there is a decent gravel track in there. Lucan harriers have their club house there and you could use the track during the day if you had some short reps planned.

Is the extra park the one opposite Grifeen on the link you posted (beside Superquinn). If so it's not very big, maybe a mile loop at most. However there is a decent gravel track in there. Lucan harriers have their club house there and you could use the track during the day if you had some short reps planned.
    Ah right. That's the one. Can see the track in google earth. It's around 4 miles away though, so probably a bit of a trek for lunch-time intervals, but must give it a visit. Is it a cinder track?

Ah right. That's the one. Can see the track in google earth. It's around 4 miles away though, so probably a bit of a trek for lunch-time intervals, but must give it a visit. Is it a cinder track?

It's a gravelly track, can be tough on the legs if you are doing a large number of reps.

If I were you and was looking to do lunch time intervals you won't get better than the flat fields in Corkagh park that run parallel to the R136 (mile 3.3 on your run linked below) (your linky here). That section is approximately 500 metres in length so you could do 400s along it, alternatively the field itself is easily 1200 metres in circumference so perfect for longer reps/intervals

It's a gravelly track, can be tough on the legs if you are doing a large number of reps.

If I were you and was looking to do lunch time intervals you won't get better than the flat fields in Corkagh park that run parallel to the R136 (mile 3.3 on your run linked below) (your linky here). That section is approximately 500 metres in length so you could do 400s along it, alternatively the field itself is easily 1200 metres in circumference so perfect for longer reps/intervals
    Yeah, cheers. Did a tempo session in that field before (nearly killed me!). For some reason I find sessions easier in the evening. Probably because I'm not properly fuelled until after lunch. But yeah it's a great spot on a calm day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

yep the track does take it out of you if you do alot of reps on it, The surface was been worked on alot over sprin and if you do them i'd run in lane 2/3 as its almost perfect under foot, lane one has a few sections where its very hard. My shins didnt like it.

Today: Just an easy as pee 5 mile recovery run around Corkagh park at lunch-time. Dead easy, just enjoying the last few rays of summer, and working on the singlet tan-lines. :) 8 Miles planned for later, including 1k hill reps, in prep for this weekend's mountain race. Hope it cools down before then, or it'll be a slog and sweat fest.

Summary: 5 miles in 41 mins, @8:10/mile, HR=low.

This evening: 10 miles with 5 x 1k Hill Repeats (105m climb)
    Tough run, that got slightly easier as each repeat ticked off, as the evening's temperatures cooled. A 1 mile warm-up, and then a 1.1km hill climb, with a 105m ascent. Easy jog back down. Recoveries were quick, but the top of the hill is steep and hurts a lot. Miscalculated the total distance required to cover the 5 repeats, so ended up rounding up the run to 10 miles, which makes 15 miles for the day. Tired now. Easy days ahead, until race day on Sunday.

Summary: 10 miles in 1:19, @7:55/mile, HR=144

Today: 10k recovery run
    Very sluggish today after yesterdays hill work, and both body and legs were tired, but another two days of easy running should have me fully rested/recovered for Sunday's race. For these recovery runs, the tiredness seems to dictate the pace (which is a good thing) and there were some very slow miles as a result.

Summary: 6.3 miles in 51 mins, @8:03/mile, HR=~125

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

This evening: 10 miles with 5 x 1k Hill Repeats (105m climb)
    Tough run, that got slightly easier as each repeat ticked off, as the evening's temperatures cooled. A 1 mile warm-up, and then a 1.1km hill climb, with a 105m ascent. Easy jog back down. Recoveries were quick, but the top of the hill is steep and hurts a lot. Miscalculated the total distance required to cover the 5 repeats, so ended up rounding up the run to 10 miles, which makes 15 miles for the day. Tired now. Easy days ahead, until race day on Sunday.

Summary: 10 miles in 1:19, @7:55/mile, HR=144

Savage session yesterday. Good work. See you on Sunday. On this form you'll be running well.

Savage session yesterday. Good work. See you on Sunday. On this form you'll be running well.
    Cheers SJ. It was a bit of a slog-fest. The legs and body are still hurting today, which is unusual for me after two recovery runs, so certainly a tough session. See you then.

Today: 5 mile recovery run
    Still hurting/stiff after Wednesday's hills and miles, so the pace was very easy. Felt a ping in one of my calf muscles, but I think it may have just been a mini-cramp, and didn't feel it after the next mile. Legs are telling me they need a rest day. Soon, my pretties.. Soon.. Just a mountain half marathon to contend with first..

Summary: 5 miles in 40 mins, @8:10/mile, HR=~125

Yesterday: 5.5 mile recovery run with strides
    Just a recovery run to hopefully help shake off the aches and niggles from Wednesday's hill repeats. Felt a twinge again in the same area of my calf muscle, so not a cramp then. Didn't seem serious so not too worried.
    Summary: 5.5 miles in 44 mins, @8min/mile, HR=~123

I love this Race! I was disappointed to feel some calf twinges in the lead-up to this race last year. Having done a few recces. I loved the route. A 6 mile uphill slog is rewarded with fantastic views and really fast downhills. At the time, I was a few weeks into my Berlin marathon program, so I made the right (but difficult) choice and skipped the race. Instead I headed up to the junction at Three Rock with a load of signs under my arms, and huddled in the wind and rain while everyone else got to enjoy the route. Not this time Plod, not this time!

Looking at the results from last year, twinned with a quick internet-snoop, I checked out the list of registered runners for this year's race and figured that a top 10 finish should be my goal. After arriving in Marley Park and seeing the
    caliber of runners who had not preregistered, I immediately revised my target downwards. The competition was too hot. A top 20 is the new goal. I was registered in no-time and got to say a brief hello to Slogger Jogger, T-Runner and JB-ski, before heading for a warm-up mile and a quick loo stop (awesome to have IMRA races with real toilets!). Didn't feel great, but I rarely do before a race, so didn't bother me significantly.

Arrived back at the start, just as the RD was giving out his pre-race briefing. The route was to be slightly longer than last year (presumably to bring it up to half marathon distance) with a loop in Marley before and after the mountain loop. Lined-up about 10-20 people back from the start, and the race kicked-off. Immediately I was dropped, and found myself in around 25th position. After the first half mile, as we rounded a bend, I did a quick count, and I was in around 23rd. Jaysus, this was going to be a long day. Hit the road section, and was glad of the Gardai keeping the roads clear. Made up a few spots on the road, and tucked in behind some runners on the windy uphill, before breaking from the group with another runner.

Pace, on a route like this is meaningless, so I decided to change the habit of the last few years, and had my Garmin showing my Heart Rate and distance covered. While my last few races have gone well, quite often in training, I find myself feeling like I'm pushing hard, only to arrive home and find that afterwards my average heart rate is only around the 145-155 mark, so I figured that if I could see my HR, it'd give me the confidence to push a little harder during the race.

Towards the end of mile two, the group had stretched out and I was in around 18th position. I got passed by two runners: Adrian Tucker who had finished ahead of me in the Wicklow Way ultra (7th for my 8th place), and another runner with him, who I didn't recognise. Both looked strong and comfortable, so I figured if I could stick with them, at least as far as Tibradden, they'd drag me into a top-20 finish, and help me keep my motivation on the tough slogs. So I ducked in behind them, and we headed towards Masseys. The two guys were much better climbers than me, and as we headed uphill in Masseys I could hear my laboured breathing, while the guys seemed comfortable enough. Looking at my HR though, I could see that I was actually doing fine, so stuck with the pace. On the gentler uphills and flats I could run very comfortably, and would recover very quickly from the uphills, so I was keeping pace well.

We crossed the river in Masseys, and the muddy slippy climb began. I questioned my choice of footwear, having favoured a lightweight racing-like shoe, as I was sliding around in the mud, but this race is largely on fireroad, sand and road with some fast road-based downhills, so in the end I reckon I made the right choice. The lads were cruising up by the river, and the gap was widening. Despair. I knew that the only hope of a solid result lay in holding onto these two guys, but on these steep climbs the gap was widening. First 10 metres, then 20 metres. then I could no longer see them. Nooooo.... I looked at the watch. HR was high but manageable. Keep going.

Everyone got slowed by the 4 or 5 fence-styles that need to be clambered over, so I could see that the two guys had caught a group of 2-3 runners. But as soon as I got over the styles, the group was gone again. Exiting Masseys, a small bit of hope. I caught a single runner who was struggling in the climb more than me. We hit the forest section leading to Cruagh, and I was back in my element. I love these meandering forest trails. I recovered quickly and passed the runner as we exited onto the Cruagh trail. I could see the guys ahead. 100m. I determined to make my way back to them. I was aided by one runner who was slowing slightly. He was my bridge to work my way back to the original group.

I do a lot of running on gentle gradient hills so have built some strength in this area so I was able to bridge the gap pretty quickly, before we hit the flat that marked the top of the Cruagh climb. As we hit the descent, I chugged down a SIS caffineited gel. Tasted awful and I was belching uncomfortably for a while, but I reckon it gave me a massive boost later in the race. We passed a runner on the downhill, and then it was the three of us again, with the two guys leading and me holding onto the rear. A quick cup of water in the Tibradden car-park and a shout out from Figs (thanks!) and we were on the uphill climb. Again, steep uphill, and again the guys were a lot stronger than me. My dreams of holding onto the to the top of Tibradden were dissolving away. But hold on to them I did. Once we hit the sleepers, I was back in my element. Gentle uphill climbs? Perfect! Back on the downhill, I recovered quickly.

We turned back onto the Wicklow Way and I couldn't quite hear what Henny (junction marshall) was saying. After a few seconds I worked it out. He was calling out our positions. 11th, 12th, 13th. I was in 13th spot. If I could just hold on, I was going to have a good top 20 finish. Awesome. The section up to the Fairy castle turn-off is quite technical. Last year I had seen and tried to aid (it cost me my belt from my trousers!) a runner who had misjudged his footing. I knew how important it was to get your footing right. But, this was a gentle uphill. I felt good, and was running comfortably again. I saw the unnamed runner jar his right foot a few times, and it looked like he hurt himself on that punishing section. Then it was my turn. I hit an unexpected rock with my right foot extended, and felt my achilles take the impact of the blow. Fook. I might be walking back to Marley Park. I could feel a strain in the achilles, but with each stride it felt ok. I figured it was going to hold out. I'm sure I'm going to pay for it tomorrow.

We started the descent. I felt good. I was getting too close to un-named runner (who was looking like he was in a bit of discomfort), and realized I would have to pass him or I'd be running too close to him for my current pace. I got past him and as we hit the water station, I grabbed a cup and kept going. I managed to drink most of it, then realized I had hit the
    next bend and dropped the cup before I got too far way from the water-station. Sorry volunteers, I realize I should really have held onto the cup to the finish line, instead of making extra work/litter for the volunteers. My bad. A rare slip-up.

At this stage, I was ahead of my two mentors, by virtue of the fact that they slowed more than me at the water station. I decided to run at my natural downhill pace, and knew they'd pass me soon enough. I could hear the fire-road's gravel crunching behind me, and was waiting exptectantly for their return. As we hit the flat section to Kilmashogue car-park, I fully expected them to pass me, but they remained behind me. Back on the road again, I knew we still had a couple of miles to go, with flat and uphill sections, so I stuck to a fast comfortable pace (5:35, 5:35, 5:47 for each mile. MacMillan would be proud!).

Eventually, the inevitable. Adrian drew level with me. Normal service was resumed. I was almost relieved. Less pressure. I stuck with the same steady pace, and I was surprised when he dropped off the pace. Under the bridge, and uphill again, I reckoned the guys would catch me, as I felt like I was near done. Looking at the Garmin elevation profile, you can't even see this hill leading back up to Marley Park, but at the time, it felt monstrous. I hit the park, and a warming down runner told me I was in 9th position. I knew I hadn't passed that many runners, so either some runners had a very unlucky day, or he had mis-counted. We were back on a soft surface, so I fully expected the two runners to push past me at some stage. Hitting the tarmac, I risked a glance back, and I had a lead of 50m. Turning back up the hill, another glance back. The gap hasn't changed. I'm slowing badly on the final uphill, but they gap is too great. I cross the finish line in the clear, with the clock showing 1:34:xx. I reckon my finish time will show 1:35:xx for the 13.2 miles. I may (still waiting for results!) have made a top 10 slot, but I reckon a top 13 is a fairer result, as two of the lead runners went wrong on junctions (that thankfully were really well marshalled when I passed them), but I shouldn't have finished ahead of the two guys that dragged my sorry ass over those hills, and kept me running, when I might have otherwise have slowed to a slog. You'll likely not be reading this, but thanks anyway guys! Good to chat to the finishers afterwards, including the loon cphowlin, who is headed for some crazy 100 mile race later in the year. Nutter!

Summary: 13.2 miles in 1:34, @~7:12/mile, HR=155

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I could see from your training that this was going to be a good race for you. Well done and a nice write-up too. I've had the pleasure of running alongside Adrian too in races before. He's a class act.

• Advertisement

Does 10th place count as top-ten?! In poker, it'd be the bubble.

Marathon training for Chicago starts tomorrow. No more frivolity and fun-running. It's head-down and focus from now until the 9th October. I've also decided to do the Comrades marathon in 2013 (uphill). Goal is a silver medal (sub 7:30 for the 87k). So that's the next 2.5 years sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Strong running on the hills KC and i would always consider 10th as top 10:)

Definitely, if you were 3rd it with be a top 3 wouldn't it?

Well done good race. Best of luck with the marathon training. You're starting it in good shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Great race report Krusty. A very respectable time and position. I did that mountain plod last year and its the 1 race which made me nearly cry after the 6km mark!!! I havent done a mountain run since!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Marathon training for Chicago starts tomorrow. No more frivolity and fun-running. It's head-down and focus from now until the 9th October. I've also decided to do the Comrades marathon in 2013 (uphill). Goal is a silver medal (sub 7:30 for the 87k). So that's the next 2.5 years sorted.

Nothing like long term planning there KC. Great running though and great prep for the marathon training. At least you won't need too much hill repeats after that mountain racing

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Not a bad starting point for Chicago....! I like to read your reports and go off quietly to weep !!....lol
    Impressive running.

Cheers folks. Great to get a really enjoyable race in, before the marathon slog begins..

Which brings me to....

Start as you mean to go on, so yesterday began with...... a rest day. Looking back on my Garmin calendar, it's my first rest day in the last 6 weeks, since the 3rd June. I've gotten so used to running 7 days, that I can't help but feel that something is missing when I don't run. But the timing was good, coming as it did the day after the mountain Plod race. Still managed a 4 mile walk, between Shankill and Bray Wanderer club to watch the Liverpool youngsters in the pi$$ing rain and the legs felt a little better today for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Will be watching your progress with interest KC. Best of luck with the schedule for Chicago. My DCM training kicks off next week. Nothing like being a slave to the schedule:D

• Advertisement

Pronator wrote: »
    Will be watching your progress with interest KC. Best of luck with the schedule for Chicago. My DCM training kicks off next week. Nothing like being a slave to the schedule:D
    You should try one of those 'rest day' sessions. Much easier than those intervals and tempo runs. :)

Advertisement