Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

midweeks champions league

Options
  • 02-11-2008 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

even though man u and liverpool are through
    would they go out out to win these games after poor perfomances?
    dicey games to bet on.
    although pool at home would mabye be the best option of the two
    even though i hate backing them

you could see rafa clearly upset in the after game interveiw yesterday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

United ain't through yet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Arsenal, Lyon, Barca are all guaranteed and add up to 1.86 on Betfred which means they are better elsewhere. Lash Werder in there (although I wouldn't) and your at 2.6 for a Giants vs. Minnows acca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

redfan wrote: »

Well mathematically they're not through but we all know they more or less are going to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

think im going for

manu 4/6 ( i think they'll win this even with their second team )
    chelsea 11/10 ( good price for the straight win against poor performers )
    villarreal -1 6/5 ( had them last time against aalborg don't think it will be a problem again )
    Inter -1 8/5 ( again up against a week side but a bit dubious, may change my mind.

it comes to 19/1 for an accum but i'll prob do a small accum and combinations just in case

• Advertisement

would you bet on man u before playing the gooners away?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

alot of the Champions League matches look dodgy this week. I've been betting on 2-3 bankers lately with my whole bank on it. Arsenal (I know dodgy but I think they will bounce back) and Barca are two I might include

i was just looking on youtube i remember giggs face after getting beat by celtic 1.0 what a picture.

redfan wrote: »
    would you bet on man u before playing the gooners away?

yeah, i don't think they'll lose face against celtic just to save themselves for an erratic arsenal as i said they should beat celtic with half the bench starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,294 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Liverpool aint through either. Need another win and Athletico aint a dead cert. Torres may be back though so he might be the difference

• Advertisement

I think Celtic will get a result.

United dont have to win and will have an eye on Saturday plus Celtic always raise it at home esp against English teams.

Celtic +1 may be a good bet as they really have to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Arsenal, Lyon, Barca are all guaranteed and add up to 1.86 on Betfred which means they are better elsewhere. Lash Werder in there (although I wouldn't) and your at 2.6 for a Giants vs. Minnows acca

Werder won 5-0 at the weekend if they dont win this they'll really struggle to qualify. Panathinaikos are pants and cant qualify. All four for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

1 Barcelona v FC Basel (Backing Barcelona @ 1.09)
    2 CFR Cluj v Bordeaux (Laying Bordeaux @ 3.7)
    3 Liverpool v Atl Madrid (Laying Atl Madrid @ 8.49)
    4 Roma v Chelsea (Laying Roma @ 4.41)
    5 W Bremen v Panathinaikos (Backing W Bremen @ 1.4)
    6 Arsenal v Fenerbahce (Backing Arsenal @ 1.27)
    7 Lyon v Steaua Bucharest (Backing Lyon @ 1.35)
    8 Real Madrid v Juventus (Laying Juventus @ 7.32)

Had €20 on this with betfair. Pays €121.80

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I think Celtic will get a result.

United dont have to win and will have an eye on Saturday plus Celtic always raise it at home esp against English teams.

Celtic +1 may be a good bet as they really have to win.

at best celtic are a championship side in terms of english leagues plus although they won 2-0 on sunday it wasn't an impressive win at all and any of the top four in england would have hammered them. I do agree that manu may take the upcoming match into account but still think they'll win it thats why i went for a straight win instead of handicapping it. Plus im a manu fan..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Plus im a manu fan..

My buddy that's a Palace fan does that trick far too often too - bet with your head, not your heart!

christeb wrote: »
    My buddy that's a Palace fan does that trick far too often too - bet with your head, not your heart!

ah but i am betting with my head.. theres only one real argument to say the result will be anything but a win for united and that is that we might take it to easy on a much weaker team to save ourselves for arsenal, while i do agree that this may happen we will still field a team far better than celtic ie tevez, park, giggs, o'shea, fletcher, nani, etc.. as far as i can see it we only really have to worry about set pieces from the celts so it might not be trhe most exciting match but we should have it covered..

btw saying that about palace is alot different than saying it bout united:D

at best celtic are a championship side in terms of english leagues plus although they won 2-0 on sunday it wasn't an impressive win at all and any of the top four in england would have hammered them. I do agree that manu may take the upcoming match into account but still think they'll win it thats why i went for a straight win instead of handicapping it. Plus im a manu fan..

I can't agree with that. They would be relegation threatened in the Premier League maybe pushing for promotion from the Championship at worst. If United have a a second team out i don't think they are as likely to win as the odds suggest. Celtic have only lost once at home in the last 16 compared with never winning a game in their last 16 away from home. They got beat up on at Old Trafford but i wouldn't be suprised if the game ended as a draw at Celtic Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

Celtic are a championship side? Don't make me laugh. Fare enough we got beat at Old Trafford no shame there but two of the goals were offside.

Celtic have loads of players out so IMO I think United will win but it won't be easy at paradise. They will want a result to try and get a UEFA cup place + I'd bet on Arsenal beating United :P

:eek:

ok your all entitled to your opinion just as i am.. straight win for united is goin in my acc and i'll have the last laugh when im counting my winnings:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Celtic are a championship side? Don't make me laugh. Fare enough we got beat at Old Trafford no shame there but two of the goals were offside.

Celtic have loads of players out so IMO I think United will win but it won't be easy at paradise. They will want a result to try and get a UEFA cup place + I'd bet on Arsenal beating United :P

are you sayin that they would be a premiership side.... how many SPL players actually come down to the premier league and succed - answer very few.... the standard is shockingly bad in the SPL...

ok your all entitled to your opinion just as i am.. straight win for united is goin in my acc and i'll have the last laugh when im counting my winnings:pac::pac:

Well i'm not backing the match anyway so all i can say is a legitimate good luck.

as i say not sure why but can't change again as i put the bet on..

manu 4/6 ( still think its a lock :D )
    chelsea 11/10
    villarreal -1 6/5
    barca half time/full time 2/5

looked at inters last match in the CL and changed my mind about the -1, then changed my mind about taking them at all.. barca should have this match done and dusted in the first half ( hopefully at least )

did a little treble on tuesday nights games also

liverpool 8/13
    inter 8/15
    cluj 13/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm thinking Lyon, United, Arsenal, and Barce -- €30 returns €97

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

1 W Bremen v Panatinakos (Backing W Bremen @ 1.39)
    2 CFR Cluj v Bordeaux (Backing CFR Cluj @ 2.35)
    3 Arsenal v Fenerbahce (Backing Arsenal @ 1.27)

Pays out at bout 3/1...all teams at home which is a big plus in Europe
    I would fancy these teams to win regardless so heres hopin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

remember arsenal are playing utd this weekend and have a few big injury issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Don't see how anybody could bet against Celtic at home when the odds are below evens. Their record there is absolutely formidable and in recent years they've beaten Man Utd and drawn with Barca and Milan there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

tonights bet for me wil be a double of inter at 1/2 and chelsea at 11/10

i have done a little accum with

Inter
    Chelsea
    Villareal -1
    Barca Ht/Ft
    Werder Bremen
    Lyon

chelsea game maybe put off due to rain ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fun accu

Chelsea
    Atletico
    PSV
    Barca -2
    Inter

Mike

Advertisement