Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben&Jerry's Black and Tan Ice Cream

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Sean_K wrote: »
    So by that logic anyone who owns a blue shirt should no longer refer to it as such?

Grow up.

What principal of logic would that be? You obviously don't know much history if you think that the blueshirts committed atrocities and mayhem on the scale of the Black and Tans.

Read up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

MarchDub wrote: »
    What principal of logic would that be? You obviously don't know much history if you think that the blueshirts committed atrocities and mayhem on the scale of the Black and Tans.

Read up.
    I think you're doing a disservice to the very people you claim to be defending. There is a reason the people of the time gave them a nickname, as with many nicknames given to enemies, it was meant to be derogatory. Ignoring the original meanings of the term, and insisting that it should only apply to that particular group takes away the insult and therefore goes totally against what the people of the time intended. If you're so worried about the victims, then honour their intentions. A Black and Tan was not a fighter, and to call someone sent over to intimidate after something as mundane as a Black and Tan was quite an insult, and a way for the people to counteract the intimidation even if they weren't in a position to actually fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Johnmb wrote: »
    I think you're doing a disservice to the very people you claim to be defending. There is a reason the people of the time gave them a nickname, as with many nicknames given to enemies, it was meant to be derogatory. Ignoring the original meanings of the term, and insisting that it should only apply to that particular group takes away the insult and therefore goes totally against what the people of the time intended. If you're so worried about the victims, then honour their intentions. A Black and Tan was not a fighter, and to call someone sent over to intimidate after something as mundane as a Black and Tan was quite an insult, and a way for the people to counteract the intimidation even if they weren't in a position to actually fight.

Point taken - but the term did come to mean something horrific for those who lived at the time. And some evidence suggests that they were actually named after fierce foxhounds from Limerick, the Scarteen Black and Tans. I do remember my grandfather, who lived through it all and lost a relative to a random shooting by them, would always refer to them as the "F**king Tans". Maybe someone should name an ice cream for that!

Advertisement