Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben&Jerry's Black and Tan Ice Cream

Options
  • 02-11-2008 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I'm not sure if there's already a thread with this, but here goes:

Is noone else offended by this Ice Cream? B&J's claim they "had no idea" of the links of the name with the actual Black and Tans but please, how many people work for B&J's? And not ONE of them have Irish ancestery? Every other day every 2nd person is "Irish"!!!

And the carton now isn't too bad but when I first saw it in Chicago in Feb 2008 it had -prepare yourself- it had men with guns in a brown uniform, along with a cow and ore guns around the package.

"Coincidence" was it?

Should Ben and Jerry's change the name of their Black and Tan Ice Cream? 10 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

any pics of the tub?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

And the carton now isn't too bad but when I first saw it in Chicago in Feb 2008 it had -prepare yourself- it had men with guns in a brown uniform, along with a cow and ore guns around the package.

Are you sure about that? The ice cream has been about since about 2006 and Ben and Jerry's know that there were people who had problems with it. They would not be stupid enough to make packaging like you described, would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

thats mad any pics??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Go way would ya.

1916 was ages ago.

I like ice-cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Why would any confectionery product have guns on their packaging? War / military is hardly the type of thing that they would potential customers to relate the product to. Ben and Jerry's seem like a load of hippies anyway - so I seriously doubt your claim to have seen such a tub, sorry. :pac: Unless you can provide pics, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

unfortunately, no, there is no photographic evidence.
    im not THAT tourist-y that I would bring my camera to the "supermarket" (hehe)
    but honestly there was a man with a gun on the packaging. I wouldn't have gotten so worked up if there wasn't!

and 1916 wasn't ages ago! less than 100 years! thats nothing!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The PC brigade strikes again....

http://www.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Ben-Jerrys-Black-Tan-ice-cream_3D8A4EF3.jpg

No guns. Surprise! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That cow on the left is concealing a weapon.

An Uddermatic machine gun. :pac:

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Pfft, yanks have been ordering Black and Tans in pubs for years. Why no controversy with that?

PC brigade? call me blonde but i dont get it :pac:

ha ha uddermatic machine gun..... that's pretty good....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How about Tiocfaidh Orange instead...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

toiletduck- i've never in my life heard of the drink black and tan (up until now obviously) but other than that i think its just in america they have them? they wouldnt go down well in ireland!

anyone notice how people always take the piss out of the irish? they're lucky we dont take stuff seriously.... imagine they called an icecream al queda.... the B&J HQ would be in flames by the end of the week....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I remember last summer being offered an Irish Carbomb at a house party! Shot of Baileys and Jameson chased by Guinness! Every house party I was at someone would offer me one. For all that talk about the U.S being PC, they aren't too in touch with Irish history. But then again who cares, its food/drink, not a statement of offence.

toiletduck- i've never in my life heard of the drink black and tan (up until now obviously) but other than that i think its just in america they have them? they wouldnt go down well in ireland!

I've been working in bars since I was 16, it's the yanks name for the drink alright and they use it over here a lot and is quite common to be asked for by them (in my experience). I dont think I've ever met a barstaff who didn't know it. And I've never seen a person so much as blink when one has been ordered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Where do you think the term "Black and Tans" came from.

The drink (Pale Ale and Stout) predates the Black and Tans in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ben and Jerry's Black and Tan ice-cream has been brought up several times, in more ways than one. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭RoosterIllusion

The name (with regard to the soldiers in the early 20th century) derived from the colour of their uniform.

I have no idea where the name of the icecream came from. My assumption is that the black refers the black in a pint of stout and the tan refers to the head, though only sh!t pints of stout have tan or yellow heads.

Who cares anyway man, I have never seen it on sale here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sean_K wrote: »
    Go way would ya.

1916 was ages ago.

I like ice-cream.

What has 1916 got to do with a thread about the Black And Tans? :confused:

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What has 1916 got to do with a thread about the Black And Tans? :confused:
    I can't remember the exact story now, but i'm pretty sure the words tongue and cheek fit in there somewhere:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Is this thread for real?

FFS, if you get "offended" by an ice cream named after a drink, after which a successful stable of greyhounds was named in the early 20th century which eventually led to a hastily recruited paramilitary gang being assigned the nickname of a nickname of a nickname, thanks to the mismatched emergency clothing they had to wear, then you really are too thin-skinned to survive in this rough old world.

If this troubles you, how are you going to cope in years to come when some smart ass radio shock jock rings you up and tells you he's shagged your grand daughter?

Grow up, people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Is this thread for real?

FFS, if you get "offended" by an ice cream named after a drink, after which a successful stable of greyhounds was named in the early 20th century which eventually led to a hastily recruited paramilitary gang being assigned the nickname of a nickname of a nickname, thanks to the mismatched emergency clothing they had to wear, then you really are too thin-skinned to survive in this rough old world.

If this troubles you, how are you going to cope in years to come when some smart ass radio shock jock rings you up and tells you he's shagged your grand daughter?

Grow up, people.

I disagree - language is powerful and it is foolish and ignorant to believe otherwise. The most important aspect of any historic event or conflict is ownership of the language surrounding it - or propaganda. History really is written by the winners - and for good reason. To be ignorant of or to not honour one's own history is to leave it to others to own and spin.

There is accepted world wide sensibility around many words, Nazi, Holocaust, Al Queda for example, and I can't see ice cream being named after any of these. I think we Irish have a right to the words that belong to our history - no matter their original provenance - and see that they are not denigrated or sanitized.

Look at the world wide commemoration today for WWI - why should we accept this yet not be able to respect and remember the atrocities that occurred on our own home soil?

MarchDub wrote: »
    I disagree - language is powerful and it is foolish and ignorant to believe otherwise. The most important aspect of any historic event or conflict is ownership of the language surrounding it - or propaganda. History really is written by the winners - and for good reason. To be ignorant of or to not honour one's own history is to leave it to others to own and spin.

There is accepted world wide sensibility around many words, Nazi, Holocaust, Al Queda for example, and I can't see ice cream been named after any of these. I think we Irish have a right to the words that belong to our history - no matter their original provenance - and see that they are not denigrated or sanitized.

Look at the world wide commemoration today for WWI - why should we accept this yet not be able to respect and remember the atrocities that occurred on our own home soil?

there are 6,700,000,000 people on this planet. 6,696,000,000 of whom think a Black and Tan is a Stout and Pale ale. Please stop being over sensitive about a very trivial matter.

Blame the people who named them after a drink if you want to get silly about it.

There is accepted world wide sensibility around many words, Nazi, Holocaust, Al Queda for example, and I can't see ice cream been named after any of these. I think we Irish have a right to the words that belong to our history - no matter their original provenance - and see that they are not denigrated or sanitized.

It's silly to take the past too seriously. We should learn to laugh about things, especially in hindsight.

For instance you've got the concept of a Grammar Nazi on the internet. It's tongue in cheek. I doubt anyone has a problem with it.

You've got Jew jokes, Maddie jokes, IRA jokes, Paddy jokes, Yank jokes bla bla bla. All rooted in history. And few would have a problem with them tbh.

there are 6,700,000,000 people on this planet. 6,696,000,000 of whom think a Black and Tan is a Stout and Pale ale. Please stop being over sensitive about a very trivial matter.

Blame the people who named them after a drink if you want to get silly about it.

This is a silly argument in itself - as if justice should be meted out only by deed poll. Minorities are usually the ones with the short end of any justice - you ought to at least know this.

I already answered about the provenance of the word so your reply is a moot point.

Many innocent Irish families suffered directly because of the Black and Tan presence in Ireland. It is no trivial matter. So we will have to differ on that point.

My opinion remains the same.

This is a silly argument in itself - as if justice should be meted out only by deed poll. Minorities are usually the ones with the short end of any justice - you ought to at least know this.

I already answered about the provenance of the word so your reply is a moot point.

Many innocent Irish families suffered directly because of the Black and Tan presence in Ireland. It is no trivial matter. So we will have to differ on that point.

My opinion remains the same.

wtf has justice got to do with it? Black and Tan is a name used widely across the world for a type of drink, The fact that the irish chose to use it as a nickname for the irregular forces that came over last century is neither here nor there.

Shall we ask them to also ban their Lime flavour ice cream because it is a derogatory name for the British?

stop looking for things to offend you, it makes life a lot easier.

The real question should be, is the ice cream nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

blacktan.gif

Here it is.

I'm not the slightest bit offended. :P

Wonder how it tastes?!

It would be great if it had little chocolate shamrocks in there.

wtf has justice got to do with it? Black and Tan is a name used widely across the world for a type of drink, The fact that the irish chose to use it as a nickname for the irregular forces that came over last century is neither here nor there.

Shall we ask them to also ban their Lime flavour ice cream because it is a derogatory name for the British?

stop looking for things to offend you, it makes life a lot easier.

The fact that the swastika was originally an innocuous Neolithic Egyptian symbol does not render it now harmless. It became the symbol of the Nazi party and their atrocities and now it is deeply offensive to all right thinking people. It is banned from public use in Germany. No one makes the argument that it was once innocuous.

Likewise the term "Black and Tan" is a notorious symbol of British atrocities in Ireland, no matter what its origin.

Your argument also is logically flawed. We are not talking about derogatory names for the Irish i.e. your reference to "lime". If so, that would be another matter. We are talking about a name for a British auxiliary force which wrecked havoc and suffering on Ireland both on a personal level and on an economic level: like Nazis - and this not a trite comparison. On just one of their many pogroms in Ireland, the Black and Tans entered Croke Park and randomly shot and killed 14 spectators and one player.

Indeed Tim Pat Coogan has compared the violence of Churchill's Black and Tans to the kristallnacht of the Nazis. Having read many of the original sources on this, I concur.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

blacktan.gif

Here it is.

I'm not the slightest bit offended. :P

Wonder how it tastes?!

It would be great if it had little chocolate shamrocks in there.

That cow looks suspiciously like a mercenary. And I'm now hungry for ice-cream. Thanks a bunch.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

The fact that the swastika was originally an innocuous Neolithic Egyptian symbol does not render it now harmless. It became the symbol of the Nazi party and their atrocities and now it is deeply offensive to all right thinking people. It is banned from public use in Germany. No one makes the argument that it was once innocuous.

Likewise the term "Black and Tan" is a notorious symbol of British atrocities in Ireland, no matter what its origin.

Your argument also is logically flawed. We are not talking about derogatory names for the Irish i.e. your reference to "lime". If so, that would be another matter. We are talking about a name for a British auxiliary force which wrecked havoc and suffering on Ireland both on a personal level and on an economic level: like Nazis - and this not a trite comparison. On just one of their many pogroms in Ireland, the Black and Tans entered Croke Park and randomly shot and killed 14 spectators and one player.

Indeed Tim Pat Coogan has compared the violence of Churchill's Black and Tans to the kristallnacht of the Nazis. Having read many of the original sources on this, I concur.

So by that logic anyone who owns a blue shirt should no longer refer to it as such?

Grow up.

Advertisement