Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Gorey Motorway Service Area

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

BoatMad wrote: »
    Any news when this is openjng

Autumn according to Official site - contract has to be signed with operator. TOPAZ is the preferred Tender, I believe

http://www.n7n11.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/09-BAM-N11-May15-Newsletter-Print.pdf

Wicklow People says may be end of the year..
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/m11-services-wont-open-until-end-of-year-31255634.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

End of the year.

What are they at. Bam built a whole motorway faster.

Topaz , well there goes any chance of lower fuel costs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

This is an awful clusterfeic by the nra. How could they not have got the operator ready to go from construction finish?

This is an awful clusterfeic by the nra. How could they not have got the operator ready to go from construction finish?

That aside, I'd say business won't be great until the Enniscorthy bypass is complete (end 2017?)

jd wrote: »
    That aside, I'd say business won't be great until the Enniscorthy bypass is complete (end 2017?)

Even then, there will be weed growing in the forecourt , I live in gorey, the motorway south of arklow is quiet at the best of times , apple green in coynes cross will mop up most customers

I can't understand the siting decisions for these service stations, just like the one being built in Athlone , is right beside two immediately accessible complexes at adjacent junctions, gorey is straddled between two major exits both of which have nearby facilities.

Surely around enniscorthy or clough, camolin , etc on the next M11 stage would be far better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

BoatMad wrote: »

I can't understand the siting decisions for these service stations, just like the one being built in Athlone , is right beside two immediately accessible complexes at adjacent junctions, gorey is straddled between two major exits both of which have nearby facilities.

Surely around enniscorthy or clough, camolin , etc on the next M11 stage would be far better

The one in Athlone is ~ exactly halfway between Dublin and Galway. I'd say thats their logic. And i agree, they didnt take into account the plentiful handy offline services. You even have fuel facilities immediately on Junction 12 and 13 of N6 to add to those you listed.

Where one would put it though. You can't really use the M6 toll section; the numbers using it are too low as it is.

Kilbeggan/Tyrrelspass stretch wouldn't have been a bad shout for a station.

The one in Athlone is ~ exactly halfway between Dublin and Galway. I'd say thats their logic. And i agree, they didnt take into account the plentiful handy offline services. You even have fuel facilities immediately on Junction 12 and 13 of N6 to add to those you listed.

Where one would put it though. You can't really use the M6 toll section; the numbers using it are too low as it is.

Kilbeggan/Tyrrelspass stretch wouldn't have been a bad shout for a station.
    Kilbeggan or east of ballinasloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Dormant for how long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Any sign of the dispute over this being settled and the place opening?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MOD: Moved to Roads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

Has anyone any update on this service station? Shocked it is still not open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Did the hearing in the commercial court ever Happen?

Did the hearing in the commercial court ever Happen?

I assumed from http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/maintaining-idle-motorway-services-costing-15-000-a-month-1.2779044 that it had but would not know where to look to see if a decision had been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

The hearing took place and judgement has been reserved since last October. Which in a nutshell means the judge will issue a decision when he is good and ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

radharc wrote: »
    The hearing took place and judgement has been reserved since last October. Which in a nutshell means the judge will issue a decision when he is good and ready.
    Mod: <snip>

Keep this kind of remark out of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

I'd imagine neither party of dispute are in a rush to open the station anyway, not at least until Enniscorthy bypass is finished and site becomes some way viable again. The cullenmore applegreen service area has essentially rendered the Inch one null and void. As a resident of the area I attended the oral hearings regarding permission for Inch stop and one of the NRA's central arguments for its construction was the fact there was no dedicated service stop/rest area from Dublin to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Patww79 wrote: »

It is typical that the taxpayer has to fund this ridiculous ongoing cost of 12k a month or whatever. Stupid situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

Now that the legal case is over any word on who is going to operate the service station or when it's likely to open?

• Advertisement

Now that the legal case is over any word on who is going to operate the service station or when it's likely to open?

Topaz, within a year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Closing this thread as Moate will open by the end of the year and there is a better thread that covers all new service areas here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement