Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critically acclaimed books you hate?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

dazza_480 wrote: »
    the wheel of time series
    those books aren't good

yeah they keep going round in circles:D

seriously though......they're not small books...you read them ALL????

even though they weren't good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Breakfast At Tiffanys.

Holly Golightly?

The most god awful twunt I ever read about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Reading Anne Enright's "The Gathering" is akin to having your pubes pulled out slowly... dear god, it was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jackcee

Acacia wrote: »
    Reading Anne Enright's "The Gathering" is akin to having your pubes pulled out slowly... dear god, it was awful.

You are so right.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

jackcee wrote: »
    You are so right.

thats on the shelf at home waiting to be read. perhaps its best if it stays there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Nuff said.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Blasphemy. I must re-read Peig at some point. Re 'the gathering' - haven't read that yet but would expect it to be at least good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭xoixo

'A Million Little Pieces' by James Frey, you know the book that became huge on account of Oprah Winfrey's word, and then turned out that the true story was more fictional than the author had led on and people went insane.

Whether the story was real, fake or what - it was the most tedious read of my life. Main character was an absolute idiot, when I should have been in awe of his rebel ways.

Also two Brett Eason Ellis books I've read - Less Than Zero and the Rules of Attraction. Hated them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

xoixo wrote: »
    'A Million Little Pieces' by James Frey, you know the book that became huge on account of Oprah Winfrey's word, and then turned out that the true story was more fictional than the author had led on and people went insane.

Whether the story was real, fake or what - it was the most tedious read of my life. Main character was an absolute idiot, when I should have been in awe of his rebel ways.

Also two Brett Eason Ellis books I've read - Less Than Zero and the Rules of Attraction. Hated them.

surprised @ that.....i loved it.

each to their own though.

i wasn't too fond of the danté club...matthew pearl.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

surprised @ that.....i loved it.
    agreed, I enjoyed it too [regardless of its honesty!]. But as you say, each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭sidelines

Ayn Rand - The Fountainhead
    Torture doesn't begin to describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451 and Something Wicked This Way Comes

I hate hate hate his style of writing. He has a way of using 50 boring sentences where one would have sufficed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The Kindly Ones by Jonathon Littell-absolute rubbish.
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series-possibly decent in Swedish but the translation to English reads strangely (The rape scenes are overly graphic also..)
    Brooklyn by Colm Tobin. Critics raved about this book but I just found it rambling and inconclusive with lots of gaps in the storyline.
    Last Train to Liguria-I skipped every second page..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I thought I had posted this earlier, but "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison. Found it hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

the millenium trilogy. Well the 2 i read anyway. I was hoping to like them and struggled through them, but they just bored me. It took me almost 7 months to read the second one. I think ill avoid the final addition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I don't know how critically acclaimed it is but I hated At Swim Two Birds by Flann O Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Atlas shrugged, long and pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Giselle wrote: »
    I've abandoned nearly everything by Jane Austen that I started, but apart from Emma I haven't been able to sustain enough interest to finish anything.

Its boring chick-lit with added corset, and the characters are annoying as hell.

Absolutely. I'd watch an Austen adaption though just for the well heeled dashing eye candy they predictably dish out.

I like Emily Bronte as her heroine isn't so wooden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Anything by Kerouac,
    The Count of Monte Cristo,

Can I include the Bible? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Anything by Kerouac,
    The Count of Monte Cristo,

Can I include the Bible? ;)

Ach, was thinking of starting this tome. Maybe I'll try to find something else :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh

I'm sorry, but he wrote in so many different accents that unless you were scottish, or knew the accents it was just hard work to read. I got 100 pages in and quit because I felt like I was working waaaay too hard for something that was supposed to be for pleasure!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Kate Mosse's Labyrinth was a load of arse. (not sure if it comes under the heading Critically Acclaimed or not though)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Kate Mosse's Labyrinth was a load of arse. (not sure if it comes under the heading Critically Acclaimed or not though)

Oh yeah, that was truly awful. The characterisation was laughable.

Funny you say that cause i'm actually just about to start reading it! I started reading it last year, but didnt have the concentration. I remember it being a little slow and had a hard time getting into it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. I just absolutely loathed James's writing style... It's really awful, so awkward and convoluted, and makes what could have been a good read into something horrendously boring that I struggled to finish. And I have a sneaking suspicion that most of the curiosity surrounding the plot is a result of James being deliberately vague. The characters really annoyed me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭cobsie

I really disliked The Book Thief by Marcus Zuzak. I thought it took FOREVER to tell what was essentially a pretty simple story. It was emotionally manipulative, too, really playing on your sympathy for the children at the centre of the narrative. The device of having it narrated by Death was very overwrought and some of the prose absolutely made me cringe. "a breakfast-coloured sky" still stands out in my mind! I only read it because my 14yr old nephew gave it to me and I wanted to be supportive!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The Count of Monte Cristo
    Must say its one of my all time fav's - but each to their own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

cobsie wrote: »
    I really disliked The Book Thief by Marcus Zuzak. I thought it took FOREVER to tell what was essentially a pretty simple story. It was emotionally manipulative, too, really playing on your sympathy for the children at the centre of the narrative. The device of having it narrated by Death was very overwrought and some of the prose absolutely made me cringe. "a breakfast-coloured sky" still stands out in my mind! I only read it because my 14yr old nephew gave it to me and I wanted to be supportive!
    I thought that book was one of the best written books I read. There was so much emotion in it, you could really feel sorry for the girl and see the world through her eyes.

But well, everyone has their tastes.

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.

Loved the musical, but the book? Two massive vloumes worth hours and hours of headache! Hugo must have been reallllly trying to get something out of his system when writing this. I Was in a school production of the music when I was 16 and decided to read the book afterwards. This was probably my first mistake, as once you know the story you KNOW that the Vicar, while an important character, has a very small role....hardly worth the hundred plus pages given him!! Waaaaayyyyy too much detail!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Atlas shrugged, long and pointless.

I HATED that book, long, pointless AND stupid.

Advertisement