Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critically acclaimed books you hate?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I don't think I've ever read a book I hated. There are some critically acclaimed books I disliked, but "hate" is too strong a word.

I am not a fan of Lord of the Rings - Tolkien's relentless descriptive passages and full detailed history of every single character (and every race of characters) don't appeal to me tbh. Love then films though - the story is fine, it's just the style of writing that I don't like.

Also not a big fan of Catcher in the Rye (
    300 pages of nothing happening, though maybe that was the point; futility of life and all that
    ) or To Kill a Mockingbird (
    A potentially interesting tale about an innocent black man being convicted of rape is spoiled by rushing the pivotal courtroom scenes and instead blabbing on about the uninteresting childhood of an uninteresting white girl and her uninteresting brother and Boo Radley, possibly the least interesting "crazy" character in any book I've read.
    )

I wasn't mad on Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man either - enjoyed the first half of the book but the second half was a bit of a letdown. (
    Stephen Dedalus turns from likeable young boy to pretentious and annoying student. After 5 million pages of "Hell is bad, mmmkay?"
    ) I'll still give Ulysses a go though, eventually! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

The Alchemist. Hate would maybe be too strong a word to use but I struggled to make my way through it.

YES. I gave up after 70 pages when nothing had happened yet. Pages and pages of it contain blatant info dumps.

Gone by Michael Grant. Alright, I was intrigued at the beginning. But I figured things out before they were revealed and it just moves far, far too slowly for my liking.

Advertisement