Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weakness of the cyclist ...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Typical coversation at home:
    Girlfriend: "What you up to?"
    Me: "Just ordering a winter jacket..."
    Girlfriend: "Don't you have one already?"
    Me: "Yeah, but this one's amazing... and, it's on sale!"
    Girlfriend: "...sigh..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

SetOverSet wrote: »
    Typical conversation at home:
    Girlfriend: "What you up to?"
    Me: "Just ordering a winter jacket..."
    Girlfriend: "Don't you have one already?"
    Me: "Yeah, but this one's amazing... and, it's on sale!"
    Girlfriend: "...sigh..."

As counterbalanced by:

Me: "What you up to?"
    Girlfriend: "Just ordering a pair of shoes..."
    Me: "Don't you have lots already?"
    Girlfriend: "Yeah, but this pair's amazing... and, they're on sale!"
    Me: "...sigh..."

I don't know whether I feel good or bad about just plain having too little money to make these impulsive purchases in the first place. I do avoid the regret or that sense of a never-ending emptiness that more consumption can never fill, but on the other hand there's the sheer joy of new things and gadgets and carbon fibre and shiny metal, and, oh dear, I think I might have to pop over to CRC...

Just for a look. Ahem...

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

As counterbalanced by:

Me: "What you up to?"
    Girlfriend: "Just ordering a pair of shoes..."
    Me: "Don't you have lots already?"
    Girlfriend: "Yeah, but this pair's amazing... and, they're on sale!"
    Me: "...sigh..."

Ha ha, scarily accurate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I just managed to drag myself away from CRC a moment ago. I was looking at lights, I have a perfectly good set on my commuter and a front one on my other bike. I really don't need them still though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

ROK ON wrote: »
    Assos Winter Tights are the biz. Was out on Sunday, my torso froze to near death. My ass, and legs were nice and toasty. They are so comfy that I would consider wearing them all day every day!!! Fleece lined.

I can't decide between getting an assos jacket, or assos tights... at the moment I have a pair of nalini tights and jacket that served me well last winter but I'm planning on being out a lot more this winter and want to invest in some really good gear. Not going to buy both tights and jacket though!

Fcuk - maybe since I've recently become unemployed I'll try and get a job at assos. That could solve some problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

ROK ON wrote: »
    Assos Winter Tights are the biz. Was out on Sunday, my torso froze to near death. My ass, and legs were nice and toasty. They are so comfy that I would consider wearing them all day every day!!! Fleece lined.
    Worth bearing in mind that your torso generally needs more insulation than your legs (as it isn't doing as much.) - I find anyway. Up the Dublin mountains last night, perfectly toasty in my full-length dhb tights and three layers on the torso (long-sleeve jersey, boards jacket, gilet), three on the arms (arm warmers, long-sleeve jersey, boards jacket), two on my hands (glove liners and full-finger gloves) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

What are the best gloves out there?
    Take today, for example, my fingers got cold even with a pair of sealskinz and gore windproof liners. The rest of me was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    What are the best gloves out there?
    Take today, for example, my fingers got cold even with a pair of sealskinz and gore windproof liners. The rest of me was fine.

Just wondering, where your hands cold when you put the gloves on? I find a lot of them are such good insulators, they keep your hands at the temperature they were when you put them on (not always a good thing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Just wondering, where your hands cold when you put the gloves on? I find a lot of them are such good insulators, they keep your hands at the temperature they were when you put them on (not always a good thing!)

Probably they were. But they did get colder once I started moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

in my office and could do with them!!!!!!!! got the gloves from aldi/lidl couple of weeks ago and they are great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Lumen wrote: »
    Superb! Not sure if you're joking or not, but I was actually thinking of fitting a second stem for my completely pointless "3600 Lumen project" (4 x 900 lumen flashlights). This looks much neater, and only 110g.

Not joking. My new fork has an uncut steerer that I don't really want to cut so this is a more elegant solution than using plain old spacers, I think.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

penexpers wrote: »
    Not joking. My new fork has an uncut steerer that I don't really want to cut so this is a more elegant solution than using plain old spacers, I think.

Cutting steerers = one of my least favourite bike building jobs.

el tonto wrote: »
    Cutting steerers = one of my least favourite bike building jobs.

Yeah, I'm pretty much guaranteed to make a balls up of it, so I think I'll leave it.

Any tips for installing a star fangled nut?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yeah, I'm pretty much guaranteed to make a balls up of it, so I think I'll leave it.

Clamp on saw guide makes it impossible to make a balls of it, as long as you've measured it right. It's what I use.

You can get a tool for it, like this one. It's what I've used and it's easy to get it dead on every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

If it's a real pain then, as an alternative, you could try a Hope Hed Doctor. Depends on the fit and your willingness to pay rather more than the price of a star-fangled nut.

They do come in a variety of colours and qualify as a minor but pricey and probably unnecessary gadget, which, given the thread topic, is an important point, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Just be sure to read all the review.... CRC have a great way of diaplying reviews. 5 stars first filtered down to 1 stars -- people have mixed feelings. P.S. I have never used one but just flicked throough the reviews my favourite .......
    first of all im not a d**k head i know how to install things an yes i did it propperly greasing the threads and everything the bolt snapped its aload of s*** DO NOT BUY IT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I just used the stem bolt to tap it in - screw it in a few turns so you don't wreck the threads, then tap it in with a hammer. Easy as.

Clamp on saw guide makes it impossible to make a balls of it, as long as you've measured it right. It's what I use.

You can get a tool for it, like this one. It's what I've used and it's easy to get it dead on every time.

Would you have said tool to lend me?

Would you have said tool to lend me?

I would. I'm based in town.

• Advertisement

I would. I'm based in town.

To the PM machine!

Advertisement