Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodlawn House - Would you sh1t a brick spending a night there?

Options
  • 24-10-2008 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm a lurker, not a poster generally, so bear with me....

Personally, I don't know whether or not to believe in paranormal activity, life after death etc. etc. but one place that I can't get out of my head is Woodlawn House, primarely because it's in my home county (Not much happens in the Whesttt ya know!). I've read up so much on it, 'The most haunted house in Ireland' etc. etc. - A load of bull? Or a scary truth?

I would love to visit this place with people who know's their stuff (ie. you guys) - I'm about to contradict myself here.... While I say I don't know whether to believe in paranormal activity, the thought of spending a night in that place makes me sh1t a brick, but I don't know why.

I don't know what the story is with access permissions etc. but it would be an epic Paranormal meet :o

Pics taken by an architecht: http://www.abandonedireland.com/wl.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm a lurker, not a poster generally, so bear with me....

Personally, I don't know whether or not to believe in paranormal activity, life after death etc. etc. but one place that I can't get out of my head is Woodlawn House, primarely because it's in my home county (Not much happens in the Whesttt ya know!). I've read up so much on it, 'The most haunted house in Ireland' etc. etc. - A load of bull? Or a scary truth?

I would love to visit this place with people who know's their stuff (ie. you guys) - I'm about to contradict myself here.... While I say I don't know whether to believe in paranormal activity, the thought of spending a night in that place makes me sh1t a brick, but I don't know why.

I don't know what the story is with access permissions etc. but it would be an epic Paranormal meet :o

Pics taken by an architecht: http://www.abandonedireland.com/wl.html

My approach to this, as a cynic, is to stay there and decide upon what you see...

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

How do, yeah great idea be up for that, spending a night there, would be something, i'm in galway as well, would only do it with an army of people though:eek:, dunno when you posted this, hopefully theres others into it doing it. let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

If it's known as Irelands most haunted would you be tripping over other ghosthunters whatever the time

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'd be well up for a visit, some time over the summer.
    That said, I'd be little more than a tourist; my interests in the Paranormal are nothing like they used to be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Its lovely out there,the house and the original estate are both beautiful and vast.However as regards the OP,I wouldnt be frightened.I think the problem with Woodlawn House that people want it to be haunted and it looks like it could be.

• Advertisement

Naw, i'd say it's fairly quite, regarding ghost hunter's, if we could get ten or so people interested we could try geting something together head out there and have a look, what you think?, anyone?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

ive never really been able to dig up any kind of half solid info suggesting the place is haunted in the first place, so I would wonder why bother going there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

I'd love a meet-up there!

However being the big scaredy cat I am I'd probably be more afraid of any rats that might be scuttling around the place and picking up Weils Disease! :eek:

If it was in the summer you could make a camping trip out of it, at worst you'd get some great photos of a really cool house, the place is like a small villiage!

Can see your point, would be a bit if'y rooting around a old house like that in the dark, dunno if going in would be such a hot idea, dont want to bring something nasty back home!! and i'm not talking about rats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

Lads Woodlawn is private property and there is a security guy up there.
    They get fed up of people going up to the house and I would not advise heading up there unannounced.

I wrote the article you're referring to there at Abandoned Ireland. I'd heard all the stories and was bricking myself heading up to that place (I was there alone) I actually had a crucifix & holy water stashed in my camera bag! But once inside I thought the place had a nice atmosphere - nothing strange going on in there at all.

I had some correspondence with the previous owner's (Lord Ashtown) son and he said nothing strange has ever happened at the house and the haunting story is total fiction.

I've also spoken to people who attended rave parties at Woodlawn in the 90s. Some of the parties held up there sound pretty legendary!

If you spent a night in there I'd say the thing you'd be most afraid of is falling through the rotten floor boards.

I hear you man. peace, nice article on the manor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

http://www.abandonedireland.com/hjkl.html

This place here seems like the place to sarifice a goat and see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tullasteve

I am currently researching a book on Haunted Houses in Ireland. But not the old castle type crap. More modern stuff. Although time and time again I keep getting drawn back to Woodlawn. I am assembling a team to try and stay the night with a small bit of equipment. A lot of reports have been from people who keep saying that they hear a woman crying from the top of one of the stairs. We will be using camcorders and sound recording equipment and if you are interested, give me a shout and I will have a chat with you and see if you are up to it. To be honest I have stayed in teh Amityville house on Long Island in the states as well as a couple of run down asylums so I am looking forward to this. I am currently researching the history but feel I have to delve deeper to fond the true history as to what happened there to make the place such a mecca for hauntings.

where or where are we getting the information that its a 'mecca for hauntings' outside of rumour?

iamhunted wrote: »
    where or where are we getting the information that its a 'mecca for hauntings' outside of rumour?

Its true, its also situated beside the best take away in Ireland . :D

Jesus, thats handy, when you get the **** scared out of you, ya can pop next door and put all back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lil_miss_del

ammm me nd my m8s went to woodlawn other nyte but there cctv at the front nd lik a intercom syn leav immmediatly the gardi have been notified:eek::(...is there ny possible way of gettin n?!?!coss reallllyyyy want to....xoxox:D

u wont be able to camp there cos there cctv dn a voice over syn the gardi have been notified..such crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

^^^^^ took me about 10 minutes to try and understand the above two posts!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

I gather you need permission to go in to the house.
    I think lil miss del was trying to get in without permission.

considering there doesnt seem to be much to back the idea the place is haunted, why would you want to?

and besides, what is this - a paranormal forum or a 'how to sneak past cameras and not get caught' forum?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do not ask or tell people here how to break into private property. Ta.

it not like i wana go nd wreck the place!!!!
    people ahve been going in there for years!!!!
    just wana c wat its like inside thats all...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ammm me nd my m8s went to woodlawn other nyte but there cctv at the front nd lik a intercom syn leav immmediatly the gardi have been notified:eek::(...is there ny possible way of gettin n?!?!coss reallllyyyy want to....xoxox:D
    u wont be able to camp there cos there cctv dn a voice over syn the gardi have been notified..such crap!
    it not like i wana go nd wreck the place!!!!
    people ahve been going in there for years!!!!
    just wana c wat its like inside thats all...
    Text speak.Please stop the text speak :eek::eek:

i z so soz..mi bad..moi gotz a a n moi english..

soz dude..

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feelio

When do you plan to do the investiation Steve?
    How did you get permission first of all?

Looks intresting:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 redanza

So does anybody know where we go to ask permission to stay on the grounds? Or even get in?

Theres a group of us thinking of going for a wee look but dont want to if its going to be a wasted journey...

Has anyone ever spoken to the security guard ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Jessica xxx

ultain wrote: »
    How do, yeah great idea be up for that, spending a night there, would be something, i'm in galway as well, would only do it with an army of people though:eek:, dunno when you posted this, hopefully theres others into it doing it. let me know.
    Em i wouldnt advise heading up there with an army of people! That would be a sure way to get caught, after all it is private and they dont take likely to trespassers. Like all big houses of its kind there being watched big time!!

If you do decide to go check it out, small group, and be careful, as AI will tell you guys that place is a death trap inside!

Advertisement