Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Spin 25th October

Options
  • 23-10-2008 2:02pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone on for one? Dundrum at 9am again? I'm going out with my club on Sunday, but still wouldn't mind getting a Saturday ride done. Weather forecast is shocking though:
    LATE FRIDAY NIGHT or DAYTIME SATURDAY - up to 15 - 30 mm of rain in places (mainly over the western half of the country), strong southwest winds gusting over 90 km/h locally.
    :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm in Bristol this weekend, so proposing a 9am start just outside Axbridge... anyone up for it? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

whereas I'll be in cappoquin, waterford. staying under the duvet for the whole weekend judging by the forecast. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I should be in for 9am under the bridge. As for the weather ... that's what mudguards and rain jackets are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Gotta route/distance in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i'm in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

As for the weather ... that's what mudguards and rain jackets are for.

Indeed. Feck the knee warmers, I think this will be a weekend for the bibtights and jacket. I've yet to invest in mudguards though, which is something I really should do, at least for the rear wheel.
    Raam wrote: »
    Gotta route/distance in mind?

Not yet. I was thinking of deciding on the morning and seeing what people are on for. If it's anything like today though I don't think I'll be going for a true epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Given the windspeeds and the direction, I would be in if I can start in, say, Porlaoise and have that gale blow me all the way back to Dublin.:)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

ROK ON wrote: »
    Given the windspeeds and the direction, I would be in if I can start in, say, Porlaoise and have that gale blow me all the way back to Dublin.:)

Had the benefit of that on the way back from my club spin on Sunday. Was able to spin it up to 60kph on the Tallaght bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You need tandems. The person on the back can use a kite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

el tonto wrote: »
    Indeed. Feck the knee warmers, I think this will be a weekend for the bibtights and jacket. I've yet to invest in mudguards though, which is something I really should do, at least for the rear wheel.

Ahem.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56425520&postcount=60

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

penexpers wrote: »

I think you'll find that only applies to others --- :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

niceonetom wrote: »
    i would refer you to rule 30.

Well done on being able to quote the rules! Did you learn them off or something?!?

penexpers wrote: »

More for the club spins, when you've got people right on your wheel.

niceonetom wrote: »
    i would refer you to rule 30.

Out of all the rules ... I think this one should be optional for us in Ireland ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

9am probably a bit early for me, but I could do about 10am? If you can meet me on the Lee Road, Cork?

BTW I would be very on for Rule 53 at some point, maybe January/February?
    53. In order to avoid the harsh European winter, you shall:
    i)flee to the warmer climes of Mallorca/South Africa/Canary Islands/etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Folks,
    Would actually love to join in having had a nice spin last week after a month of a lay-off. However, will be in Vienna for the weekend with a lovely woman (wife). Best of luck with it. Mudguards etc. are of course optional on spins, (I like my easy-off one, for instance) but then so is a wet backside - quite apart from looking after the bod behind you!
    Separate point (but from an earlier thread) was there any concensus on on some of the Boards folk forming a club/ joining a club? Raam and I were talking about Swords CC? By the way, did I mention I'll be in Vienna?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Tomorrow's forecast is very brief and, erm, to the point:

"Wet and very windy tomorrow."

As it is mid-term and bank holiday wknd I was hoping to head out with ye tomorrow (parental taxi services not so much in demand tomorrow). But Sunday looks more promising, I'll be heading out with de wheeler noobs I think.

unionman wrote: »
    Tomorrow's forecast is very brief and, erm, to the point:

"Wet and very windy tomorrow."

As it is mid-term and bank holiday wknd I was hoping to head out with ye tomorrow (parental taxi services not so much in demand tomorrow). But Sunday looks more promising, I'll be heading out with de wheeler noobs I think.

Accuweather ain't looking too rainy.

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecast-hourly.asp?partner=accuweather&postalcode=wicklow&metric=1&hbhday=2&hbhhour=5

Wind forecast is a little scary looking:

http://www.windfinder.com/forecasts/superforecast_uk_ireland_animation.htm

(PS - Not out myself tomorrow.)

• Advertisement

72hundred wrote: »
    Wind forecast is a little scary looking:

http://www.windfinder.com/forecasts/superforecast_uk_ireland_animation.htm

(PS - Not out myself tomorrow.)

Looks like it will be an interesting ride.

@ Blog/Unionman/Cadex/72oo/kenmc/Tiny

Wimps ...

@ .../72oo/...

Wimps ...

Yes most definitely! :p

Raam wrote: »
    Looks like it will be an interesting ride.

What you need to do is sit in behind someone with a great big arse for the duration of the ride. Now I wonder who will get nominated for that job....

el tonto wrote: »
    What you need to do is sit in behind someone with a great big arse for the duration of the ride. Now I wonder who will get nominated for that job....

You saying that I have a big butt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Wimps ...

Wimp*? yeah, I guess so.:)

I'm not even butch enough to have a capital 'U' in 'unionman'.:o

*Just because I haven't climbed half the Alps:rolleyes:

unionman wrote: »
    Wimp*? yeah, I guess so.:)

*Just because I haven't climbed half the Alps:rolleyes:

+ Cycling under any weather conditions is what separates the true legends from the wannabes ... :pac: ( I wish I am stuck behind a wall of snow as I am trying to get out of the house in morning ... surely that's a valid excuse to miss a spin ) ... PS: Constantly being the last one up Sallygap or Kippure ... or any hill actually does not necessarly make me a wimp ... just a very slow uphill cyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Wimps ...

you're just jealous that I'm not going to be stuck in Dublin for the bank holiday :D

kenmc wrote: »
    you're just jealous that I'm not going to be stuck in Dublin for the bank holiday :D
    yeah maybe ... I am working monday :( ... I will take a day in lieu when the weather is actually nice and also when cycling through the Pheonix park isn't life threatening instead :D

• Advertisement

cycling through the Pheonix park isn't life threatening instead :D

Why the Park so bad? Was it the wind yesterday you're referring to?

Advertisement